Few Jeep TJ Questions

781 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Flaith
KatyAggie2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in the process of purchasing a 2006 Rubicon and have a few questions. I have always loved the TJ model, especially the 4.0 I6 engine and 6 speed manual transmission. I finally found one that was in decent shape and have made an offer (fingers crossed). This is just a weekend cruiser and will not be my daily driver.

Questions:

- There is some surface rust on the underbelly, nothing alarming to my family mechanic. Any recommendations on what I should do on this front? For example, worth taking it somewhere to have it sanded and repainted.

- It has a soft top and I'd like to buy a bikini top. Any brands/models that you would recommend or any to stay away from?

- I'm considering taking out the carpet, etc. and rhino lining the floor. Again, any pros/cons with this? My logic is trying to prevent any water (rain) damage that may come from having it topless most of the time.

- Anything else you would recommend for consideration in terms of modifications, improvements, etc.?

I appreciate any and all feedback.

JB
AG
I would not mess with repainting the frame. It will always look like someone just took a rattle can to it. Those TJ frames do like to actually rust though if from the NE or midwest. Like rust completely through. Check the areas around the control arms and body mounts. If its just surface rust, let it look like a 20 year old Jeep.

I would not take out the carpet. It will be much hotter and louder inside the Jeep. I think the whole bedliner thing has phased out. The carpet is cheap. Let it get dirty and just clean it.

I know your not looking at resale, but if I am looking at used TJs, and I see the frame has been spray painted and the carpet has been ripped out, I'd want to pay less.

Better things to spend money/time on in my opinion depending on what you want out of it.

Bestop is kinda the go-to for all things tops. Check out Spiderwebshade also. I had one on a TJ and really liked it instead of a bikini.
FIDO*98*
AG
KatyAggie2000 said:

I have always loved the TJ model, especially the 4.0 I6 engine and 6 speed manual transmission. I

That goes away when you try to drive it on the highway or need to fill it up with gas after 100 miles.

We just rolled 32K miles on our '06. I do an annual oil change which is typically about 2K miles and it never ceases to amaze me how much rust there is considering it is garage kept and has only seen rain a handful of times. I hit it with LPS3 corrosion inhibitor in a few key spots to keep it at bay. Wet Okole seat covers are a good idea. As far as lifts go, keep the tires around 34" or that engine really becomes a dog. Also, don't use automotive products on the dash. Just clean it with a damp cloth or you will strip some of the surface coating
Waterski02
AG
We've got a frameless soft top on ours. It's bestops cheaper brand but love it. Front flips back easily and comes completely off in 2 minutes and can be stored over the wheel wells so if you need if the weather shifts it's there.
Chrundle the Great
AG
https://www.quadratec.com/

Open up your wallet
LOYAL AG
AG
It sounds like you want to go bikini top and doorless most of the year which is a hell of a lot of fun. If that's the vision I would rhino the floors and remove the drain plugs. I did that to my JKU years ago and never regretted it. It's louder and the floor is hotter to your foot if you wear flip flops a lot or drive barefoot. I did the rhino after enough rain that the carpets started to mold and smell bad. Keep a couple of the cheap sports seat cushions somewhere inside so that when it rains while you're inside HEB you have something dry to sit on.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
ac04
another vote for spiderwebshade instead of bikini top. had one on a JK and it was great.
Towns03
AG
Pics of this TJ please

Also, I might be interested in buying your soft top if it's for sale.
Flaith
AG
Depending on how big the surface rust is, you could always paint it with POR15.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.