Electric Golf Cart - Broken Ground on Plug

832 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by JamesPShelley
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi folks. We have an electric golf cart that has to be plugged into a wall to recharge. The ground prong on the golf cart's male plug receptacle outlet broke off. Yay.

Repairs (including transportation of the golf cart to from the shop from our house) is going to be about $450.

The broken charger port/cord is less than $30 on Amazon… but the way the cord is buried/wrapped up in the golf cart's I'm not sure we can get the old one out and the new
one back on.

I've been told we can charge the cart without the ground. Not sure how much "less safe" this option is. Sounds like a plan but would prefer to not do something that's legit unsafe.

WWYD?

stevopike
AG
make/model?
Dr. Venkman
AG
1. You can charge the cart without the ground. If you suspect an internal fault in the cart, just don't touch it while it's plugged in.
2. Easiest/cheapest way to fix it is to cut the plug off and wire a new one.

combat wombat™
AG
Bintelli Beyond
combat wombat™
AG
Unfortunately, this is what is broken.
Sea Speed
AG
Solder it back on? To be clear i have no idea if this is feasible, but seems like it could be.
combat wombat™
AG
It's not feasible for us. We have neither the tools nor the know-how to solder anything.
Sea Speed
AG
A soldering gun and some flux would cost maybe 20 bucks and a short YouTube video would show you all you need to know. Soldering is not hard. IF that is viable in this scenario, it may be worth exploring.
Read-Only Memory
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=110v+male+receptacle&crid=3TDK9W4Y9J0S8&sprefix=110v+male+rec%2Caps%2C142&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_13
Sea Speed
AG
Also OP your first step is to take that receptacle off and see how much play you have on the connections. I would bet once you take that off, you will see how much of a piece of cake the repair will be. As a matter of fact, ill come over to the Woodlands and do it for $250, saving you $200.
combat wombat™
AG
Actually, I know which one I need:

NOCO Power Inlet Socket

combat wombat™
AG
OMG. I got under that golf cart and figured out where this wire went. I can't believe these people want to charge me $250 labor to replace this part, that I would provide. I can do this myself in about five minutes.
Flaith
AG
That's about as easy as it gets. I have a hard wired male receptacle in my golf cart, and even that is pretty easy. You basically have a small extension cord that is screwed to the bulkhead.

Unscrew it, unplug female end, remove through bulkhead hole, install new one.
ghollow
AG
I recently switched my golf over to a lithium battery. Dealers were wanting between $400 to $750 to do the install. I even had one tell me that it would void the warranty on the battery if the dealer did not install. Finally talked to an honest shop about it. The owner told me if I had any mechanical ability at all that I could do it myself. When I got to his shop to pickup the new battery, he spent about 15 minutes showing me the do's and don'ts on some of the carts in his shop. Took me about 2 hours and 4 beers to get it installed. Could not be happier.

If you are looking for an honest golf cart shop, Mulligans Carts in Ponder is the place to go.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
combat wombat™
AG
I did it. Golf cart is fixed. Less than $30. Saved $450. My husband is extolling my handiness!
Flaith
AG
You earned a thank you from him in that special way!
JamesPShelley
combat wombat said:

OMG. I got under that golf cart and figured out where this wire went. I can't believe these people want to charge me $250 labor to replace this part, that I would provide. I can do this myself in about five minutes.

Glad to hear that.

Next repair effort... start taking that **** apart. That's what I do, figuring if I **** things up I can just have it towed, pushed, pulled to the proper repair facility.

You saved some great cash! Go buy some tools. They pay for themselves first use... as you proved.

Cheers!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.