Bonded titles - question
781 Views | 5 Replies
magnumtmp
8:33p, 4/18/24
Are Bonded titles permanent? Do they eventually expire if there are no disputes to the ownership? What about getting insurance with only a bonded title?

There's a guy down the road from me selling an '88 Chevy Silverado project truck. Thinking about getting it for a project I can work on later or maybe fix it up for one of my boys. It needs lots of work, but I'm not scared of any of that. I am scared of title/insurance issues.

He has already been through the bonding process. He has said he's not 100% sure. But he thinks he was told that after 2 years, the 'bond' could be removed. I can find anything online that confirms that, so I'm thinking that the bonded part may be permanent.

Any experience from the brain trust here? Thanks in advance!
mefoghorn
8:56p, 4/18/24
They are not permanent. You'll get a clear, blue title eventually. I also was told 2 years. You can still sell the vehicle. Car insurance doesn't know or care about the bonded title.
magnumtmp
6:10a, 4/19/24
In reply to mefoghorn
mefoghorn said:

They are not permanent. You'll get a clear, blue title eventually. I also was told 2 years. You can still sell the vehicle. Car insurance doesn't know or care about the bonded title.

Awesome, thank you very much!

I'm going to call my county's tax assessor office today to get more details, just to be sure.
magnumtmp
10:05a, 4/19/24
For those that may be interested:

I called my tax office, she said it's a 3 year wait then I'd have to send the state a petition to release the bond requirement for a clean title. Simple form and I'm sure a small fee (I didn't ask how much). I also do not have to re-bond the title myself, it transfers with the truck.

Today may be a new-old truck day for my son!
GIF Reactor
1:42p, 4/19/24
What about a "slow" title? I had never seen that until today. We're looking at an auction vehicle for my son.
TexAg1987
3:07p, 4/19/24
In reply to GIF Reactor
GIF Reactor said:

What about a "slow" title? I had never seen that until today. We're looking at an auction vehicle for my son.
I think it means they haven't received the title yet. If that is the case, I would be wary.

Could have a lien or ?

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off