Replace Flex Fuel tank with Regular Gasoline - Tundra
1,190 Views | 9 Replies
2girlsdad
8:24a, 5/13/24
I have a 2012 Tundra with the 26-gallon tank, and I would like to replace it with the Transfer Flow 46-gallon option. However, on their website it shows you can't do it with the flex fuel models which my Tundra is. Now, I NEVER use flex fuel, so will it matter? What am I missing?
OnlyForNow
9:26a, 5/13/24
In reply to 2girlsdad
Crawl under there and look at the space? 26-gallons is 3.47 cubic feet of space; 46 gallons is about 6 cubic feet. That's quite a bit of size difference.

The 46 gallon replacement is 77" L 17 1/4" W 12 1/2" H .

Lots of sites say that it's no big deal. FlexFuel is never mentioned.
2girlsdad
10:11a, 5/13/24
I tried to look at the Tundra forum, and plenty of people have replaced the 26 gallon with the 46 gallon (but couldn't find a mention of going flex to regular). On the Transfer Flow website, if I choose regular fuel instead of flex, then it states the tank works.

Could there be an issue with the module or something else?
2girlsdad
10:27a, 5/13/24
Ok, gave Transfer Flow a call. The tank would work, just that flex fuel would corrode it, and the actually wouldn't even be able to see the tank to me (have to show VIN or something before they will sell a product). Guess I'll have to look at some other dealer, or perhaps a shop can get it and circumnavigate the issue.

I understand the concern if I ever sell my truck, but I will never sell/trade it in. I've had it for 10 years, and still smile every time I see it. I just want MOAR fuel mileage to make road trips easier and we may get a small camper soon.
lockett93
11:23a, 5/13/24
In reply to 2girlsdad
2girlsdad said:

Ok, gave Transfer Flow a call. The tank would work, just that flex fuel would corrode it, and the actually wouldn't even be able to see the tank to me (have to show VIN or something before they will sell a product). Guess I'll have to look at some other dealer, or perhaps a shop can get it and circumnavigate the issue.

I understand the concern if I ever sell my truck, but I will never sell/trade it in. I've had it for 10 years, and still smile every time I see it. I just want MOAR fuel mileage to make road trips easier and we may get a small camper soon.

Find the VIN of a non flex fuel truck for sale on cars.com. Give to the transfer flow people and then add a sticker to your fuel fill area to not use flex fuel. Profit.
'03ag
12:21p, 5/13/24
In reply to lockett93
lockett93 said:

2girlsdad said:

Find the VIN of a non flex fuel truck in cars.com. Give to the transfer flow people and then add a sticker to your fill fill area to not use flex fuel. Profit.

X2

This is easy
lb3
6:48a, 5/14/24
In reply to '03ag
Why bother with 'finding' a non-flex vehicle. Can't you just look up the VIN code for that feature and change that digit on your own VIN.
JSKolache
10:25p, 5/14/24
Flex fuel uses a different fuel pump assembly. If the flex pump assembly fits into the non-flex pump opening, then it should be compatible.
ChoppinDs40
8:20a, 5/15/24
Based on their response, this is purely a CYA thing to keep them from getting sued if someone put flex fuel into their tank.
bedofbrass33
7:25p, 5/16/24
https://exitoffroad.com/product/toyota-tundra-long-range-replacement-fuel-tank-46gal/

Don't see any restrictions on this tank. Kind of wish I could justify the upgrade but I already have the big factory tank.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings