Pontiac G6 vs. Chev Impala vs. Accord vs. Ford Fusion
1,944 Views | 30 Replies
East Dallas Ag
11:42a, 8/16/07
Ok guys I'm in the market for a used car. Never driven a car, always SUVs but I am driving a lot for work now and get a car allowance so any money saved on gas goes to my pocket.

I am looking at the 4 above mentioned cars and would like any and all opinions on them.

Some factors I am considering:
$14,000 max
good gas mileage
I'm 6'4" 260 so a little room would be nice
If I am going to get a car, I would like it to be fun to drive so a V6 would be nice
potential resale/trade in value in 3-4 years with ~100k miles

I have driven the G6, Impala and Fusion as rent cars, liked the first two with V6s but the Fusion with the 4 cyl seemed to lack power to me. Never driven the Accord but appears I will have to take a few more miles if I get one opposed to the other 3. I also know Accord's rep and its ability to take those miles.

Two other questions: will a dealer tell me the truth if I ask them if the car has been used as a rental? I know how I have treated them and don't want to buy a previous Avis car.

Is it worth the extra $ to get a CPO?

Thanks for the comments and advice, I'll sit back and read. Plan to start test driving next week.
p_bubel
11:56a, 8/16/07
If you get a CarFax report it will tell you if the vehicle was registered as a rental.
SpicewoodAg
12:34p, 8/16/07
Get a 1 month unlimited carfax subscription. Not much money. Rental cars will be obvious.

I don't look at rentals automatically as a bad thing. They get serviced regularly during their rental life. Oil changes, etc. Yeah a little wear and tear, but I think the mechanicals are typically sound.

No car that weighs 3,000+ lbs will feel good with a 4 cyl.
barney94
4:00p, 8/16/07
I think I would check out the following listing right now.

They don't even have a picture up yet, but an Accord EX v6 at this mileage and this price ought to get snapped up, unless there's somethig wrong with it.

I would try to find a clean Accord V6 if I could. If you can live with a 4-cyl, I would take a 4-cyl Accord next. The Honda 4-banger is a great motor and runs strong.

Beyond that, I would get an '06 Impala with as few miles on it as possible. More size than the rest, good power, good mileage, good comfort.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=228493601&dealer_id=92356&car_year=2005&marketZipError=false&awsp=false&search_type=both&num_records=25&keywordsfyc=&make=HONDA&transmission=&model=ACCORD&distance=100&make2=&address=75002&default_sort=priceDESC&advanced=y&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=14000&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=10000&body_code=0&end_year=2008&keywordsrep=&color=&start_year=2005&drive=&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=22

[This message has been edited by barney94 (edited 8/16/2007 3:12p).]
kubiak03
4:03p, 8/16/07
As stated in an earlier thread, my girlfriend recently got a 2007 Fusion last month. Its a 4 banger SE. I've driven it quite a few times in the city and highway and although its no race car i've noticed no problems with the acceleration and it drives fantastic.

The best part about the engine is the fact that she has been getting 38 on the highway and close to 31 in the city. I've been very impressed with the car.

The only problem i could see is that if you end up getting an '06 model its a first year run.

Right now ford has very low interest rates or 1000 cash back on the Fusions and they are trying to clear stock. The girlfriend ended up getting an SE, the mid range interior choice, out the door for 19,000 TTL included. We probably could have haggled the guy even lower but they treated us great and never made us fell pressured.
BaronVonAggie
4:07p, 8/16/07
My rental Fusion I4 w/9000 miles on it got 24 in mixed but mostly highway driving.

The car itself isnt bad but I dont know if I could live with the motor. Under > 75% acceleration the thing sounds like a wounded hippo.

Tree Hugger
4:11p, 8/16/07
If heis 6'4" and weighs 260, the fusion probably doesn't provide enough room, I know it doesn't for me.
Macarthur
4:23p, 8/16/07
The key word to me is that you said is "used."

You will have a hard time going wrong with the Accord. You may find some individual things you like better with each car, but the Accord is solid in all areas and superior in the engine area.

[This message has been edited by Macarthur (edited 8/16/2007 3:24p).]
Picard
8:59p, 8/16/07
Don't ever buy a rental.

I know from first-hand experience what some people do to them
swood
11:59p, 8/16/07
My experience with former rental cars has been very good, and I have lots of experience with them. I traded cars every three months or so through high school and college. Most of the cars were from GM factory auctions, and most of those were former rentals.

I think you'll find that most renters (posters on this thread excepted) treat the cars well. Most of these cars are driven by business travelers who just want to get where they're going and get home. Even then, the occasional nut doesn't have a given car for very long.

Rental cars also have meticulous maintenance.

I wouldn't worry at all about buying a former rental if you like it and the price is right.
SpicewoodAg
9:38a, 8/17/07
swood - I agree with you. A few pedal to the metal renters for a few days a year will not hurt a car.
BaronVonAggie
9:51p, 8/17/07
Consider the last gen I-4 Altima. 175hp, large inside and out, reliable, 30+mpg highway. Their prices are fairly reasonable compared to the Accord.

[This message has been edited by BaronVonAggie (edited 8/17/2007 8:51p).]
Vero143
4:11p, 8/19/07
Like I told you before SlowLane, go with the G6. The accord, IMO , is the only thing that will really be its competition. I never liked the impala, mainly because we sound about the same size and I never fit in it. G6 GT is the way to go. I get 32 highway and 24 in town.
91AggieLawyer
7:02p, 8/19/07
>>I'm 6'4" 260 so a little room would be nice<<

My wife has a '01 Accord which is great in just about every way except ... drivers room. Leg room is OK, so your 6'4" won't have too much trouble, but the wheel has a very low "highest" tilt setting. Maybe they changed that on later models, but although its been perhaps the best car I (we) have ever owned, I wouldn't buy one for me unless the tilt were higher. I'm not comfortable driving that and I'm a decent size guy myself, although not as tall as you.
BillgoCU
1:27a, 8/20/07
My dad has owned an Impala since 2000 and says its the best car he's ever had. Over 100K miles on it and still runs great, gets 30mpg highway, lots of space, great stock sound system, and the seats have held up very well.
He would get another one in a second.

I can't speak for the other choices, but I like American stuff.

PS, if you get a Ford, check the paint closely to make sure its okay. My 2004 Mach1 had some problems with spots in the paint.
1876er
1:33a, 8/21/07
You really cant go wrong with that group. My girlfriend has the Aura which is the same platform as the G6, and it continues to impress me. it is more quiet than some lexus' I've been in.
Towns03
10:32p, 8/21/07
Malibu Max
Stat Monitor Repairman
1:14a, 5/12/24
Whats this about them bringing back Pontiac? Is that for real?

Will we see an EV Trans-Am to compete with Tesla?
YouBet
8:31a, 5/12/24
In reply to kubiak03
kubiak03 said:

As stated in an earlier thread, my girlfriend recently got a 2007 Fusion last month. Its a 4 banger SE. I've driven it quite a few times in the city and highway and although its no race car i've noticed no problems with the acceleration and it drives fantastic.

The best part about the engine is the fact that she has been getting 38 on the highway and close to 31 in the city. I've been very impressed with the car.

The only problem i could see is that if you end up getting an '06 model its a first year run.

Right now ford has very low interest rates or 1000 cash back on the Fusions and they are trying to clear stock. The girlfriend ended up getting an SE, the mid range interior choice, out the door for 19,000 TTL included. We probably could have haggled the guy even lower but they treated us great and never made us fell pressured.

Look at me, my GF got a brand new car for less than $20k almost 17 years ago.
drumboy
9:47a, 5/12/24
In reply to YouBet
YouBet said:

kubiak03 said:

Then 4 banged her
YouBet
9:49a, 5/12/24
In reply to drumboy
drumboy said:

YouBet said:

kubiak03 said:

Then 4 banged her

If they got married, I guarantee you she doesn't allow that anymore. Of course, you generally don't marry 4 bangers in the first place.
Tim Weaver
10:05a, 5/12/24
I wouldn't go for any of those cars.

I'd look at the best Honda Accord Sport or Acura TLX you can find with the10 speed transmission. Doesn't matter what engine, they're all great. That means avoiding the years between 2012 and 2017. Earlier or later are fantastic cars. In that time period they had transmission (9 speed auto) issues, that I still might mess with if the price is low enough.

BTW I'm 6'4" and about 300. I fit just fine in any of these cars.

Another great option is the Mk6 and Mk7 GTi. Both manual and DSG transmissions seem reliable in these. Great fun cars that can be had well within your budget.
Silvy
10:09a, 5/12/24
In reply to Tim Weaver
It's 2007, we just got 6 speed autos. Chill with the 10 speed talk
Teslag
12:30p, 5/12/24
In reply to Tim Weaver
It was pretty easy to avoid 2012-2017's in 2007
YouBet
12:54p, 5/12/24
In reply to Tim Weaver
Tim Weaver said:

I'd look at the best Honda Accord Sport or Acura TLX you can find with the10 speed transmission. Doesn't matter what engine, they're all great. That means avoiding the years between 2012 and 2017. Earlier or later are fantastic cars. In that time period they had transmission (9 speed auto) issues, that I still might mess with if the price is low enough.

Another great option is the Mk6 and Mk7 GTi. Both manual and DSG transmissions seem reliable in these. Great fun cars that can be had well within your budget.

Thoughts on Palm Pilot or BlackBerry. I'm a little hesitant of the wheel scroll on the BlackBerry.
drumboy
1:30p, 5/12/24
In reply to YouBet
YouBet said:

Tim Weaver said:

Thoughts on Palm Pilot or BlackBerry. I'm a little hesitant of the wheel scroll on the BlackBerry.

iPhone just came out but it's more of a toy gimmick and there are no third party apps.

Blackberry Pearl ftw
Tim Weaver
2:18p, 5/12/24
Nobodies gonna want music on their phone. Thats what walkmans are for.
Fannie Luddite
3:44p, 5/12/24
Remember when they announced the GT version of the G6 sedan, only to find out it was just a different gearing in the differential?

So much fail Pontiac.
YouBet
6:39p, 5/12/24
In reply to Tim Weaver
Tim Weaver said:

Nobodies gonna want music on their phone. Thats what walkmans are for.

They are saying you get the internet on it. Wonder what kind of impact that will have.
Dill-Ag13
8:23p, 5/12/24
So long as the whip has a cassette player so I can hook up my 3.5 aux cord into the deck I'm solid.
Complete Idiot
9:24p, 5/12/24
In reply to Dill-Ag13
Dill-Ag13 said:

So long as the whip has a cassette player so I can hook up my 3.5 aux cord into the deck I'm solid.
Pepperidge Farm remembers
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off