***Weightlifting Thread***
95,254 Views | 1418 Replies
CC09LawAg
10:26a, 7/18/23
In reply to Apache
The Stronglifts app also has some quick reference videos for form - it may not be as in depth as you are looking for, but is easy access if you're in the middle of your workout.
PascalsWager
1:02p, 7/21/23
I only feel my RDL in my glutes. Sometimes, especially after breaks, I'm sore the next few days in my glutes AND hamstrings but I also do hamstring curls now that I joined a commercial gym. But as I'm doing them I ONLY feel it in my glutes.

Any ideas? I don't really have any problems because of this (no low back pain). The lift is continuing to go up in a linear way with reps and/or weight every week. My hamstrings have grown a little (but again I'm progressing on the curls too). Am I necessarily doing anything wrong?
ttha_aggie_09
5:21p, 7/21/23
In reply to PascalsWager
Do you have really tight hips? What is the bar placement like when you do RDLs - is it damn near rubbing your shins or are you several inches away from it?

If your hips are tight, try stetching out your hips more - kettlebell shift is a good one and see if you can engage your knees for a little more external rotation. I highly recommend anyone that does squats, dead lifts, and bench press, to follow Squat University on youtube. I have fixed so many things that I didn't even know I was doing wrong watching those videos - including lack of hip flexibility.
PascalsWager
12:22p, 7/22/23
In reply to ttha_aggie_09
I don't think I have tight hips; but I'm not really sure. The bar scraps my shins or gets very close to doing so.

I've looked at some Squat University videos. And I searched again after your recommendation. They're mostly about RDLs and back pain. I don't have any lower back discomfort at all thankfully. It just feels like my glutes are taking over. Maybe the hamstring feeling is just more subtle for me. I am sore the next day (today) in my hamstrings.

Thanks for responding!
ttha_aggie_09
3:16p, 7/22/23
In reply to PascalsWager
No problem but not sure I really helped.

I'm about to head up to gym and do my hamstring focused leg day and will toy around to see if I can replicate flute activation.

Another thing you may want to try is not locking out at top. Focus on the lower end of the movement and then only go 3/4 of the way up. This keeps tension on the hamstrings.
CC09LawAg
2:29p, 7/25/23
Yet another deadlift question...

I didn't really come into these until later in life, so I haven't ever done them with any kind of coaching or supervision. So I try to be hyper aware of any extra stress I might be putting on my lower back due to poor form.

I think this is a good thing but wanted to check with more experienced lifters. As the weight has gotten heavier, I am starting to feel a good burn/tired sensation on either side of my low to mid back. I know the lats are a pretty big muscle and you are supposed to engage the lat during a deadlift, so is this a good/normal thing to feel? Is this a sign that my form is good if I am feeling exhaustion there?

It definitely isn't in the center of my back or in my low back, so I feel like I am putting stress on the appropriate muscles but wanted to see what others thought.
wtanner
2:39p, 7/25/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
That hard to assess without video of your lift. My advice would be to get your form locked in before adding too much weight. Also make sure you are fully braced in your core. Check out Alex Bromley on YouTube for his videos on breathing and bracing during dead's.
CC09LawAg
3:52p, 7/25/23
In reply to wtanner
Thanks. Yeah, I have a stand to hold up my iPhone and probably need to just get better about consistently videoing myself. I'm in my garage so I don't have to worry about anyone rolling their eyes at me...

One guy whose videos have really helped me is Sebastian Oreb.

I can definitely tell a huge difference in my bracing from when I started back at 65 pounds. I am pulling around 340 right now and usually don't feel like my form breaks down till the last rep or 2 of my heavy pulls, if at all. If I feel any kind of pain in my back I usually just abandon the lift and leave it for another day.
bagger05
4:44p, 7/25/23
In reply to wtanner
wtanner said:

That hard to assess without video of your lift. My advice would be to get your form locked in before adding too much weight. Also make sure you are fully braved in your core. Check out Alex Bromley on YouTube for his videos on breathing and bracing during dead's.
Agreed.

I found this article very helpful.

The Valsalva Maneuver in Weightlifting | The Art of Manliness

Doing this breathing in combination with a belt makes me feel much more stable when doing deadlifts.

As I mentioned a few posts above, I used to get some irritation in my lower back. That's gone away since I started doing one rep at a time. I step away from the bar and go through my whole routine every rep.
CFTXAG10
9:26a, 7/26/23
I started listening to the Mind Pump Podcast about a month ago and finally jumped on the bandwagon. Started the MAPS Anabolic program yesterday. The first pre-phase workout kicked my butt. Excited to jump back into an actual program.
PascalsWager
4:51p, 8/2/23
In reply to ttha_aggie_09
I figured out what I was doing "wrong". I was more or less doing what Dr. Mike has this lady doing in this video except I wouldn't touch the floor. I started bending my knees less and going less far down with the bar and I felt it in my hamstrings more. I actually like both variations and will do them going forward!

Just wanted to complete the conversation. Thanks again

ttha_aggie_09
9:36p, 8/2/23
In reply to PascalsWager
Cool! Not sure I helped with anything but glad you got it figured out.
High Functioning Moron
8:53a, 8/5/23
Just finished week 5 of doing StrongLifts and feeling good. I think I've increased weights enough to where I am feeling decently sore for the first time
CC09LawAg
9:23a, 8/5/23
In reply to High Functioning Moron
Nice! It's pretty incredible how quickly you can add on weight.

One thing I didn't do that I realize now probably held me back when I got towards the end of the program was not warming up.

I was afraid I'd tire my legs out and was more worried about getting my 5x5. But looking back I should've worked up to it with real quick sets of 45/95/135 at least. I do that now and noticed it helps a lot.
CC09LawAg
12:13p, 8/17/23
Finally hit 315 for 5 on my squats this week.

Now that I've got that monkey off my back, my next mountain to climb is to bench 275. I've been getting stuck around 250/255.

I've always had bad/weak shoulders. When I was younger and before I started getting serious about form, my front delts would always tire out. Since I've focused more on arching my back and using leg drive, that's gone down substantially.

This last workout however I noticed my mid delts feeling burned out and that seems like a new one for me.

Should I try widening my grip? Will that just put more strain on my shoulders? Any ideas?

For reference, I'm doing 145 for 5 right now on strict OH press. If the answer is I just need to get my shoulders stronger, I'll try to add in some accessory work.
Hoosegow
1:27p, 8/17/23
Without looking at your form, it is hard to make a suggestion about what to tweak.

For programming to hit 275, look at some powerlifting programs. For a raw new lifter i highly suggest 531.

For general tips, big bench means you need a big back. Make sure you are rowing, pull ups, etc.

Also, i have seen several people get a big bump by introducing floor presses and working on speed.

So your 4 week 531 program would look like this:

Bench Press numbers would be based on a 255 max (from your post) - take 90% of your max and use this for your numbers (at 255 that would equal 230)
Week 1
1 set of 5 at 65% - 150 lbs
1 set of 5 at 70% - 172
1 set of 5+as many as you can do at 195

Week 2
1 set of 3 at 70% - 160
1 set of 3 at 80% - 185
1 set of 3+ as many as you can do at 90% - 205

Week 3
1 set of 5 at 75% - 175
1 set of 3 at 85% - 195
1 set of 1+ as many as you can do at 95% - 220

Week 4 is a deload - do not skip a deload
1 set of 5 at 40% - 95
1 set of 5 at 50% - 115
1 set of 5 at 60% - 140
Leave your ego at the door and do your deload.

Start your next cycle and do the same, but add 5 lbs to your base weight. So the next cycle would be based on 230 + 5 = 235 lbs.

You should then keep adding and you will be up to 275.

Excessories - do what you want, but make sure they support the bench. Always do some set of rows and some set of tricep work (I suggest dips).
Class of '94
bagger05
3:03p, 8/17/23
Fun milestone today: didn't have to remove the second plate during my working sets on bench.

250x8, 237.5x9, 225x11

Gonna probably hang here and add some more reps before moving up.
CC09LawAg
3:10p, 8/17/23
In reply to Hoosegow
Thanks Hoose - was hoping you'd chime in.

I am currently on my second cycle of Madcow but have looked into 531 - do you prefer 531 to Madcow? My only reasons for choosing Madcow initially were the easy transition from Stronglifts and that it's still a 3 day split. I know 531 can be changed to a 3 day but I try my best to do the programs "as designed". I liked 531 because it incorporates accessory lifts more than Madcow.

I think you're on to something with my back - my bent over row is currently sitting at 185x5 and I think my hip hinge/lower back is holding me back on those. The heavier I go, the more upright I get and feel my traps working more and more. I've deloaded a few times but still can't seem to get it right. I've contemplated doing chest supported rows but understand that the bent over row is supposed to help me with my deadlift so I'm hesitant to "cheat".

I want to play with my grip width but hate to lose an entire week of progress changing things - I've made a ton of progress in the past year, so I'm struggling with trying to keep it simple and do what's worked but also having to recognize that small changes to form and stance have helped me get past plateaus on other lifts.

I feel like my form on squats and deadlifts is light years from where I started and my bench is still kind of meh. So it's frustrating.
Hoosegow
7:22a, 8/18/23
In reply to CC09LawAg
Question 1 - I never used Madcow. In my recollection, it kind of rose in popularity when I had moved on to a modified Westside Barbell program. I tried Smolov and the volume was too much for me.

Don't worry about losing any progress if you play around with your grip. If anything, you will give your CNS a tweak in stimulus and that might help. Heck, I rebuilt my squat probably 4 times. If you want to get better, you have to tweak.

Bench is hugely more technical than most people think. The problem is having someone there that knows your technique and can make suggestions and bounce ideas off of. We had five key guys in our group that trusted each other because we knew each other's form and weakness.

I will make another suggestion, but I wouldn't try it unless you trust yourself. Try a suicide grip. It puts the bar more in line with your arms and is slightly more natural position. I always used the suicide grip when going raw and ended up with a best of 455. But I always trusted myself and had great spotters. I have seen people get hurt dumping the bar on themselves using a suicide grip. Never would use one with a bench shirt and that is a sure way to die.

Unless you are competing, don't sweat the numbers. Benching with a barbell is kind of a stupid lift. If you just want to get stronger, use dumbbells. It puts your overall mechanics in a much better position.

Another thing to think about, your lower body has bigger muscles. You might be thinking in overall weight that your bench is lagging. Of course it will. If you have a 500 lb squat and a 250 pound bench, A 5% jump in the squat is twice as much as a 5% jump in the bench.

Finally, my casual observation, the bench is the last to get better. I'm going to take a guess, by your username, I'm thinking you are in your mid to late thirties. Most men don't approach their biggest bench until their 40's. You will see high schoolers with unbelievale heavy squats and deads, but can barely bench their own weight. It is like deer hunting, that big broad brisket on a buck doesn't come in until last.
Class of '94
CC09LawAg
8:31a, 8/18/23
In reply to Hoosegow
Wise words as always!

I am lifting alone in my garage so suicide lift is probably out of the question - I have my safety bars set where I feel comfortable that I could dump the bar with minimal risk, but I am not sure I could ever pull the trigger.

That is interesting about the age thing - you are right about my age. I just started lifting for the first time in about a decade last year - I was kind of under the impression (entirely in my own head and without any real reason to back it up) that I probably had till about 40 until it was going to be difficult to keep increasing my lifts. I am sure it differs from person to person, but if I can keep going up on my lifts into my 40s, that would be great! And when I lifted when I was younger, I didn't really have any dreams of big lifts or care as much about form, sleep, diet, or any of that stuff.

I will probably make squat and deadlift my goal lifts right now - I want 405 on deadlift and 365 on squats. I am sure once I hit those, I will want 455 and 405 though....but that is what keeps me going.

I will take what I can on bench and if I keep hitting plateaus I may start trying to go up in 2.5 increments instead of 5. I know it's a long grind but I just get impatient when the numbers haven't moved for awhile, but life sometimes keeps you from staying on a rigid training schedule.
Hoosegow
10:15a, 8/18/23
I understand the chasing numbers addiction. Heck, I poured my time, passion, energy into it. It negatively effected my marriage (contributed to the divorce but by no means caused it). It negatively effected time with my daughter. It permanently effected by health and ability to function. And what did I get out of it? Nothing.

I'm not sure things would be different, but I wish if I was going to pursue something like this that strongman was around. To me strongman with the goal of being/keeping strong and as an HIIT cardio source is where I should of been. That is all I am doing now, minus any pressing activities, because I can't.

The ability to do work and be healthy is so much better than being able to squat or bench X. Trust me, I get the addiction. I would love to feel, one more time 700 lbs in my hands, fight the bench shirt all the way down, explode as hard as I physically possibly could. The vasopressure sends you to an out of body experience. You are aware of nothing other than you exist. And 30 seconds later when you actually sit up, the rush of coming to again. But why do this? It does not transmit to real life.

Just my 2 cents.
Class of '94
CC09LawAg
1:40p, 8/18/23
In reply to Hoosegow
I hear you. Honestly, I wasn't expecting to even want to push it this far. Up to now, I've been able to make gains consistently without feeling like it's dominating my lifestyle. I know it won't be worth the trade off to me at some point.

My goal is to back off once I hit numbers I am happy with and focus more on increasing reps and throwing in strongman and cardio more.

I plan to only ever lift in my garage, so my risk tolerance will only let me feel comfortable getting to a certain weight alone w/o spotters before I will say "ok that is enough".
ttha_aggie_09
1:55p, 8/18/23
In reply to Hoosegow
Quote:

Most men don't approach their biggest bench until their 40's.

Why do you think that is the case? I am in no ways disagreeing with you and anecdotally, I have been able to bench more in my Mid 30s than any other point in my life. I've attributed it more towards being "smarter" and "experienced" (following programs, stretching, planning and dieting - to some extent). I also weigh more now than I did in my 20s by about 15-20lbs, too. Most of which is muscle, but not all of it.

Anyways, sorry for the derail but appreciate your insight!
Hoosegow
9:50a, 8/19/23
Understand i have no research to back this up. I think because the upper body just takes longer to develop. Im sure you make faster gains when you are younger. What i think happens is if you train for a long time, you kind of have your last harrah in your early to mid 40s. After that the hands od time start taking its toll.
Class of '94
ttha_aggie_09
10:00a, 8/19/23
In reply to Hoosegow
Makes sense! Like I said anecdotally, I agree with your assessment. Just wasn't sure as to the "why".
Walton2016
11:24p, 8/24/23
This post in general makes me feel optimistic! Turning 30 in a couple of months and I feel like my lifting and powerlifting competing days are almost done. Would love to keep going just not sure how much more the body can stand and I dont like the idea of never progressing again. It is a hard truth to realize I think. Would love for another 10 years of strength gains!
Tex117
10:16a, 8/25/23
In reply to Walton2016
Walton2016 said:

This post in general makes me feel optimistic! Turning 30 in a couple of months and I feel like my lifting and powerlifting competing days are almost done. Would love to keep going just not sure how much more the body can stand and I dont like the idea of never progressing again. It is a hard truth to realize I think. Would love for another 10 years of strength gains!
Tone back the intensity with respect to the Big lifts, and some bodybuilding work....(Ie, squat like 1-2x a week)...and get riiippppeed.
High Functioning Moron
5:40p, 8/28/23
Still keeping up with StrongLifts but I feel like I am getting close to my max on some exercises. Is there a way in the app to update the weight progression other than just manually changing the number? I figure they have some sort of algorithm for when you plateau.
CC09LawAg
11:36p, 8/28/23
The program is designed for you to reach your max. It plans for it.

Essentially, if you miss going up 3 times, the app will automatically deload that lift, taking off about 10% and working your way back up to where you left off. After you have had to deload about 3 times on a lift, the general line of thinking if that you've maxed out what Stronglifts can give you and you need to move on to a beginner/intermediate or intermediate style program.

As an example, I worked up to 225 from 65 pounds from April '22 to June felt my form was crappy and went all the way back to 135 to rebuild my form.

I went up to 260 in September '22 then deloaded to 185 to build it back up again. I switched programs once I got back up to 275 and felt the 5x5 was too taxing. It's now end of August '23 and I'm squatting 325 for reps.

So in a year and about 4 months, I added 260 pounds to my squat. I deviated from the program a couple of months here and there to take a little break from the heavy lifting, but the program works. Read the website linked in the app and it explains the method to the madness very well and is very educational and eye opening.
CC09LawAg
11:41p, 8/28/23
More to the point of your question, yes you can adjust the workout to workout progression. I changed my overhead press and eventually barbell row to 2.5 pounds/workout rather than 5, as those increments were proving too big for consistent improvement. You'll need 1.25 pound plates tho.
10andBOUNCE
6:59a, 8/30/23
Fun morning yesterday at the gym with an unexpected personal best.

I decided several months ago to only use a double overhand grip when pulling deadlift, moving away from the switch grip. Got up to 400 yesterday; never have gotten that high yet with that grip. Was definitely close to my max, felt like.
CC09LawAg
8:32a, 8/30/23
In reply to 10andBOUNCE
Nice! It's amazing how something so small can make such a big impact.

I try to only pull double overhand and switch to straps for my top set. I feel like I lose focus on other aspects of my form if I'm having to think about my grip too.

I just haven't ever felt like my lats set right pulling mixed grip. I'd probably get over it with reps and time but I'm pretty happy with the approach I've got now.
bam02
8:38a, 8/30/23
In reply to 10andBOUNCE
Nice work! Are you using straps?
10andBOUNCE
9:47a, 8/30/23
In reply to bam02
No straps. I lean toward the mindset that the grip is a core part of the lift, so I don't use them. I'm not training for anything in which that mindset is all that important, just a personal challenge more so. If I can't grip it, I don't need to be lifting it, ha ha.
bam02
9:48a, 8/30/23
In reply to 10andBOUNCE
I like it! Impressive.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 9 of 41
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >