Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

NOOM to the rescue?

6,474 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by Ryan the Temp
jenn96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ryan the Temp said:

Day 81

One thing I've thought was interesting is how my desire levels have changed and how I'm not having the same responses to certain foods I used to have. For example, when thinking about going out for lunch or dinner, the usual places I would go that serve food that isn't good choices for me simply aren't appealing anymore. I don't get the "I want that" feeling when thinking about burgers, pizza, or other objectively tasty, but unhealthy foods.

I've experienced that too, losing weight naturally over the last 8 months, and I've found it easier to resist impulse buying, especially online. I've joked with coworkers that it's natural ozempic - something about shutting down the self-indulgent impulse center in your brain for food helps regulate that self-indulgence across the board.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Great job, Ryan!

I've been rooting for you and you are doing an amazing job.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Day 95

Stats:
Current Weight: 228.0
Pounds lost: 29
Pounds to goal: 43
Body Fat %: 32.1
Body Fat % Lost: 5%

Last Week Summary:
Average calories consumed per day: 1,849
Average caloric deficit: 1,973
Average steps per day: 13,889
Average heart zone minutes per day: 43

As much as I've lamented not losing fast enough or feeling like I wasn't getting where I need to be, or that I've taken too many breaks because of my foot, I am actually right on track with the projection Noom gave me on Day 1.

There have been times when I found myself not wanting to be honest with myself about what I was eating. That is to say, I found myself not wanting to log food when I know it was more than I should have eaten or not the healthiest choice, but who am I kidding? Myself. No one is going to see my logs but me, so there's no reason to lie to myself. This is one of the things Noom helps break down as "thought distortions."

Lessons this week have been a lot about the stories we spin in our heads with our imagination that get in the way of our success - we tell ourselves we can't lose the weight, we'll fail, we can't make it long term, etc. Noom's challenge is to pay close attention to these thoughts when they creep in and rewrite that story. For me, it's a paralyzing fear that I can't make it longer than six months. I'm kind of afraid of what happens on Day 181, but one lesson I've learned is to counter those thoughts and fears with positive determination that I can and will make it into the long-term, and this WILL be the change in my life I am going to make and keep. I WILL be that guy who goes to the gym 5 or 6 days a week, every week.

The biggest reminders I had this past week of how ingrained some of these fears and doubts are was when I was "retiring" some shirts that are too big to wear. I was setting them aside to box them up and store them for the future "just in case." NO. No, no, no, no, no. If I am going to change my life, then the clothes go. I don't get to keep them where they turn into an excuse to get fat again.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Day 116

Stats:
Current Weight: 223.6
Pounds lost: 33.4
Pounds to goal: 38.6

Wow, the last couple of weeks have sucked, but at least I'm still losing. I haven't been able to get to the gym in two weeks (!) and I've had a hard time even getting to 10,000 steps in a day. Honestly, I'm surprised I lost any weight at all. Since my last update, my weekly losses have been 0.6, 0.4, and 3.6 pounds. It's nice to see that big jump to know I'm still getting farther along, but also nice to see I mostly maintained my weight in some of the busiest weeks I've had in a long time.

A nice metric I achieved during this time is my waist now being smaller than my chest, and less than an inch bigger than my hips.

The really great lesson in all of this Noom stuff (and what it all essentially boils down to) is mindfulness - being mindful of what I'm eating and doing. I guess the bright side of being mindful is that In can still be good and continue my progress, even when it seems like the wheels are coming off the bus when I'm busy and stressed out.
Gilligan
AG
Lost over 40 lbs with Noom's full service and have kept it off.

Highly recommend
Ryan the Temp
AG
Gilligan said:

Lost over 40 lbs with Noom's full service and have kept it off.

Highly recommend
The really fascinating thing about Noom is on my very first day, they projected I would weight 221.9 pounds today. I weighed in at 221.6. I've stayed spot on with their projections every step of the way for four months.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.