****2024 Trail and Ultra Running****
21,769 Views | 444 Replies
coop-aero-06
8:54p, 2/29/24
Well, I was supposed to run Way too Cool 50k on Saturday, but they just cancelled due to weather. Epic rain / snow / wind is forecast for Thursday thru Sunday so I understand the call, but it's still a bummer.
Swarely
9:22p, 2/29/24
Pikes Peak Ascent and Marathon sign up is in the morning if anyone is interested.

https://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/marathon.html
AggieOO
9:30p, 2/29/24
In reply to coop-aero-06
coop-aero-06 said:

Well, I was supposed to run Way too Cool 50k on Saturday, but they just cancelled due to weather. Epic rain / snow / wind is forecast for Thursday thru Sunday so I understand the call, but it's still a bummer.

Bummer. Yeah, that storm looks epic.
AggieOO
9:32p, 2/29/24
In reply to Swarely
Swarely said:

Pikes Peak Ascent and Marathon sign up is in the morning if anyone is interested.

https://www.pikespeakmarathon.org/marathon.html

Unfortunately, the same weekend as Barkley Fall Classic. I was going to see if the wife was interested, until I saw the date. Always wanted to do that one.
coop-aero-06
9:02p, 3/1/24
In reply to AggieOO
Just watched the first two episodes. Nice work! Do y'all have a running list of topics that you might cover in future episodes? And I'm shocked there was no beer discussion yet!
AggieOO
10:57a, 3/2/24
In reply to coop-aero-06
We will be doing monthly updates of progress toward goals. January will be up early next week. That one was actually recorded at a brewery.

Moving forward there should be less vlog style videos, though we'll have some.

Some future content that we are working on, some just ideas, some are at various stages of filming/editing:

Black canyon 100k
Black canyon 100k - crew/pacing
Various trail/city highlights - show off local trails/breweries
Taco 'Bout Running - Running and taco shops
Trash runs
We will do something around AC100 and BFC

Have other ideas but we will see how things progress.
AggieOO
4:38p, 3/3/24
Anyone done speedgoat? We are in salt lake and just had beers with a friend and now my wife is seriously considering Speedgoat.
Sponge
5:12p, 3/3/24
In reply to AggieOO
Don't delay too long as it fills up and make sure she does some serious vert training (seriously). Worth it though, the back of the course in mineral basin is very pretty in July with the wildflowers.

Here is a video of what Mineral Basin looks like in late summer. https://videos.kinomap.com/en/watch/f5z3jn
AggieOO
9:49p, 3/3/24
In reply to Sponge
Yeah, saw the vert is similar to when she did Gorge Waterfalls, except that was a 100k.
aggiespartan
7:34a, 3/4/24
In reply to AggieOO
I'm sure you've heard all the same stuff, but I've heard from other runners that the UTMB experience is not the same as other races. Might want to make sure you have everything she needs if she can't rely on aid stations.
Sponge
9:25a, 3/4/24
In reply to aggiespartan
It will be interesting to see how things have changed since the handoff to ironman and now part of utmb. I believe last year was Meltzer's last time as RD.
One thing to note with the race is that it's all climbs or descents. The drop down the backside and climb out is so big that looking at the elevation profile makes other climbs look easy but that's deceptive. The last climb up Peruvian ridge is tough.
aggiespartan
2:31p, 3/5/24
4 days in and Paul Johnson has already conceded the transcon record of 42 days and is now going to try to run it in 50 days and continue to raise money for charity. He didn't look that great after day 2.
AggieOO
3:07p, 3/5/24
In reply to Sponge
Sponge said:

It will be interesting to see how things have changed since the handoff to ironman and now part of utmb. I believe last year was Meltzer's last time as RD.
One thing to note with the race is that it's all climbs or descents. The drop down the backside and climb out is so big that looking at the elevation profile makes other climbs look easy but that's deceptive. The last climb up Peruvian ridge is tough.

listening to the Singletrack podcast with Paul Huddle, it sounds like Karl or at least a lot of his team are still involved with Speedgoat.
AggieOO
3:37p, 3/5/24
In reply to aggiespartan
aggiespartan said:

4 days in and Paul Johnson has already conceded the transcon record of 42 days and is now going to try to run it in 50 days and continue to raise money for charity. He didn't look that great after day 2.
for some reason i'm not surprised. not sure why.

glad he's not bagging it and continuing to raise $$.
aggiespartan
4:03p, 3/5/24
In reply to AggieOO
He did train almost exclusively in the NE then went and immediately tried to run hundreds of miles in the desert. What could go wrong.
AggieOO
1:33p, 3/6/24
new video up. its another vlog style, so may or may not be interesting. we'll hopefully get better as time goes on. Figure out things to work on every time we put something together. We are obviously behind on getting things out, but should hopefully get a better cadence very soon. We'll also have some "documentary style" videos coming soon, so you don't have to listen to us just talk to each other.

aggiespartan
3:44p, 3/6/24
In reply to AggieOO
Finally some beers and a weim sighting.
aggiespartan
9:00a, 3/11/24
Hans has a new video up. He talks about his 12 day hospital stay for rabdo and what he thinks happened.

aggiespartan
1:11p, 3/11/24
I'm getting ready to let my coach go. It's just not working out for me the way I had hoped. I have some marathon running books and Relentless Forward Progress. Any other essential training manuals I need to take a look at when I jump into my own programming?
AggieOO
2:42p, 3/11/24
In reply to aggiespartan
Hal Koerners Field Guide to ultrarunning is good.

Ping me when I'm back in Texas and have access to my stuff. I have a pdf of another book I can send you. It's a bit more beginner focused, but its free, so can't hurt.
The Pilot
4:39p, 3/11/24
In reply to aggiespartan
I'm a big fan of Pete Pfitzingers books. They are heavy volume which I liked when I was thinner and in better shape.
aggiespartan
4:52p, 3/11/24
In reply to The Pilot
That's one of the marathon books I have.
Swarely
7:17p, 3/11/24
In reply to aggiespartan
"Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald helped me with nutrition quite a bit.
aggiespartan
8:25p, 3/11/24
In reply to Swarely
I think I've got my. nutrition locked down pretty well. I met with a nutritionist a few times, so I think I have that part down. It's the actual programming that makes me nervous.
AggieOO
1:44a, 3/12/24
In reply to Swarely
Swarely said:

"Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald helped me with nutrition quite a bit.
great book!

too bad i love mexican food and beer, bc I completely undermined anything i learned.
Aggie Therapist
8:01p, 3/12/24
In reply to AggieOO
Born to run was my all time favorite book. I'm Mexican so I felt like it really woke up my running spirit.

Agree on Hal's book. Great resource!
Aggie Therapist
8:04p, 3/12/24
I'm doing The Rogue Trail Series continues with The TANGLE on Sunday, March 24 at Flat Creek Crossing Ranch.

Anyone familiar with this race? I've been out of the ultra running and trail scene for about 5 years and looking to get back into shape and hit the trail again. I live in Round Rock/Brushy Creek. Any casual run clubs around here. I feel like Pint House Pizza would be a Wednesday run club destination paradise.
aggiespartan
8:09p, 3/12/24
I've got my first pacing gig Saturday. 20-30 super easy miles. This guy is a lot faster than me, but races slower, especially at night.
AggieOO
9:32p, 3/12/24
In reply to Aggie Therapist
Aggie Therapist said:

I'm doing The Rogue Trail Series continues with The TANGLE on Sunday, March 24 at Flat Creek Crossing Ranch.

Anyone familiar with this race? I've been out of the ultra running and trail scene for about 5 years and looking to get back into shape and hit the trail again. I live in Round Rock/Brushy Creek. Any casual run clubs around here. I feel like Pint House Pizza would be a Wednesday run club destination paradise.
i've done tangle, but its been years. no idea if they changed anything on the course, but there were a few sections that were just flagged across a field to connect the single track. The cave/tunnel and then the section along the water is cool. The rest of it is typical central texas terrain.

Fleet Feet round rock has a weekly run. I'm sure there are some others but sort of out of the loop on north run groups. The one I ran with was in austin, but ran all over the place...however, it basically disbanded as people moved and the races were sold off. I'm in north round rock, but end up doing most of my runs solo due to having young kids.
Aggie Therapist
9:35p, 3/12/24
In reply to AggieOO
Thanks for the heads up.

I think I miss the social aspect of training and running. But that was in my 20s when we had no kids or one kid.

I have two now and one on the way. I feel you on the solo runs now.
aggiespartan
9:40p, 3/12/24
In reply to Aggie Therapist
I went to a running group a couple weeks ago in DFW and had a bad experience. I guess I could see how it's appealing for faster people though. I prefer solo.
AggieOO
9:45p, 3/12/24
In reply to aggiespartan
aggiespartan said:

I went to a running group a couple weeks ago in DFW and had a bad experience. I guess I could see how it's appealing for faster people though. I prefer solo.
sometimes takes a few tries to find the right group. I love having a group to keep me accountable and the social aspect. Luckily, I'm fine running solo, but I sure miss having a team sometimes. Its part of why my brother in law and I are doing the youtube project. We obviously live far apart, but it still adds an extra element.
aggiespartan
9:48p, 3/12/24
In reply to AggieOO
I got dropped in the last mile or mile and a half. I didn't know my way back and got lost. Luckily someone found me that was just running his own pace, but I was just mad for most of the run.
AggieOO
9:51p, 3/12/24
In reply to aggiespartan
look for a group that does no drop runs.
The Pilot
9:56p, 3/12/24
What part of Dallas? Both the Dallas Running Club & White Rock Running Co-op have runners of all paces. DRC is more structured but great people in both.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 7 of 13
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings