****2024 Trail and Ultra Running****
21,768 Views | 444 Replies
Aggie Therapist
9:59p, 3/12/24
In reply to aggiespartan
aggiespartan said:

I got dropped in the last mile or mile and a half. I didn't know my way back and got lost. Luckily someone found me that was just running his own pace, but I was just mad for most of the run.

Yeah that's crappy. Someone should be running as a sweeper. Still getting miles in regardless of pace!
aggiespartan
10:08p, 3/12/24
In reply to Aggie Therapist
I was starting to get dropped and fell trying to catch up, ripping part of a scab off an already skinned knee. I think that was the worst part.
Aggie Therapist
10:19p, 3/12/24
In reply to aggiespartan
Damn!

Yeah, especially you being new, someone should have kept an eye out. Some groups are just too into their social circles and hyper competitive.

aggiespartan
10:22p, 3/12/24
I've had a rough last couple of weeks of training. Everything has just been piling on.
johnson2012
10:29p, 3/12/24
I live in this same area and this is a surprisingly dry spot for social runs. Fleet feet is too far for me and the regular runs hosted by rogue are all through their training programs. I think MTB is the preferred activity in this specific area so the few social places cater to that. Plus there aren't any run shops nearby. A social run out of red horn would be awesome.

If anyone wants to try and organize an Aggie group run I'm down to try and make it. I typically run during lunch or the 4/5p hour then do my long on Sunday. Pretty much all on BCRT or the trails nearby.
AggieOO
10:35p, 3/12/24
In reply to johnson2012
Suburban Ninja behind redhorn is my "go to." I've thought about trying to put together a weekly run from there over the years, but never done it. Its tough for me to run in the evenings due to small kids. I travel for work too, so when I get back in town, the wife usually wants me to help with the kids in the evenings...the nerve! lol. Would be interested in trying to put something together, but would take some buy-in from the wife.
Aggie Therapist
10:40p, 3/12/24
In reply to johnson2012
Ooooo red horn!
AggieOO
1:56a, 3/13/24
In reply to aggiespartan
aggiespartan said:

Hans has a new video up. He talks about his 12 day hospital stay for rabdo and what he thinks happened.

Finally watched. Glad to see he's recovered. I was sort of hoping someone would throw him a western states entry, but obviously that's not gonna happen at this point.

On a somewhat related note, I think back to when I ran myself into rhabdo in the grand canyon, then tried to run san Diego 100 six weeks later. I was bummed at dropping just before mile 50, but holy hell, I probably shouldn't have even lined up. My rhabdo wasn't as bad as his, but it certainly wasn't nothing. I guess my rambling is to say, be careful and be smart with hydration and nutrition.
aggiespartan
7:55a, 3/13/24
In reply to AggieOO
I was hoping he would get an entry too. I wonder what race he's going to do next. It was crazy that he only took in about half of what Hayden took in and still kept up. Once he puts it all together, he's going to be really good.
aggiespartan
8:39a, 3/15/24
Anybody else going to be out at Grasslands tomorrow?
TXamc06
9:06p, 3/16/24
Anyone ever done a multi-day adventure race?
aggiespartan
6:18p, 3/17/24
Grasslands was a muddy mess. I paced for about 30 muddy miles. My runner tapped out at 84. He thought we missed the cutoff, but they were giving 10 extra minutes. He had already made up his mind that we were done, though. There were only 17 finishers out of 80 something.
Aggie Therapist
6:39p, 3/17/24
In reply to aggiespartan
Wow

That's intense
AggieOO
7:06p, 3/17/24
In reply to aggiespartan
That's rough. Lots of muddy races this year. Rocky was a mess too.
txag2008
10:25p, 3/17/24
Paced Grasslands, miles ~55 to 71 for a buddy last night. Conditions were pretty bad, basically just slip sliding around all night. He tapped out at mile 71 since the pace became so slow slogging through the mud.
Aggie Therapist
7:15a, 3/18/24
Oooof lot of muddy stories this weekend.

I have The Tangle @ Flat Creek 30k this Sunday. Praying for dry conditions as this will be my first time back on the trail in a long time.
Sponge
11:38a, 3/18/24
In reply to aggiespartan
Good news for Buffalo Run, it's very dry on the trails right now. Light rain/snow for Sun/Mon but that means it should be warming up and drying out after that front.
aggiespartan
11:53a, 3/18/24
In reply to Sponge
It looks like it shouldn't be too cold either. We are heading out there Wednesday next week.
The Pilot
1:17p, 3/18/24
Didn't realize Grasslands had a 100 mi option now. I ran the 50 about 10 years ago, it was also a muddy mess. I remember having to use branches to get up some of the inclines. The race had a reputation for being poorly marked, I got lost on the last loop and ended up running an additional mile, still got 1st though.
AggieOO
3:46p, 3/18/24
for you Barkley Fans. Here's a good one form Karel Sabbe

aggiespartan
5:07p, 3/18/24
Just ordered some poles. What's the best way to practice with them? Hills? Just go run around like a crazy person?
Sponge
7:17p, 3/18/24
In reply to aggiespartan
Hills are good but it depends on how you want to use them. A majority of people that use poles only use them for climbing. I have knee issues so I use them always, downhill as well for stability. Even flats just to take a little off my legs. Your arms should feel like they are getting a workout or else they aren't doing much (except saving you in a trip). There are tight spots of brush on Antelope Island so you will have to practice folding them behind you so they don't snag on anything when running and then after it widens go back to normal. Practice swinging them so they are in sync with your gait.
Hopefully they are telescoping or folding so they can be attached to vest easily. And hopefully the handle material is good so you don't blister your hands.
aggiespartan
8:02p, 3/18/24
In reply to Sponge
I don't think I'm going to use them for Buffalo Run. I don't know if they will be here in time to really practice with. I got the Leki Ultratrail FX One, and I have a quiver, so I'll have to practice with that.
Sponge
8:08p, 3/18/24
In reply to aggiespartan
Those are the best poles by far.
aggiespartan
5:43p, 3/19/24
Any advice for flying to a race that I might otherwise overlook? I'm kind of used to just throwing everything I have in my car. I've flown to marathons, but I don't really need much for those besides 1 pair of shoes and gels.
AggieOO
9:30p, 3/19/24
i typically fly southwest, so i can check bag for free, so i try and bring everything with me that i would if i was driving.

I'll buy some stuff where the race is, but many times races are in places with small town grocery stores that don't have what you need. Or are out of stock.
aggiespartan
6:14a, 3/20/24
Apparently, the.conch was blown at 4:17.
AggieOO
9:28a, 3/21/24
new video up. Another Vlog style. I promise there is other content coming soon.

we talk about february with one of the main items being Black Canyon, both pacing and racing.

Turk Turkleton
5:19a, 3/22/24
In reply to aggiespartan
aggiespartan said:

An unprecedented 7 runners have started loop 5. Wow.
Laz must be getting soft.
Aggie Therapist
5:47a, 3/22/24
In reply to AggieOO
I'd love to share a beer with the great OO someday.

Also, what are your thoughts on Laz?

I get narcissistic and grandiose vibes from him.
aggiespartan
7:31a, 3/22/24
In reply to Turk Turkleton
Turk Turkleton said:

aggiespartan said:

Jasmin is on loop 5! Could be the first woman finisher.
aggiespartan
7:33a, 3/22/24
He has said before that he likes seeing people do amazing things. If you watch any of the videos, he looks absolutely so happy when people finish. I've thought about doing Strolling Jim because it's easy to get into, but the thought of 40 miles on the road is sounding worse and worse.
AggieOO
8:15a, 3/22/24
In reply to aggiespartan
aggiespartan said:

Turk Turkleton said:

aggiespartan said:

Jasmin is on loop 5! Could be the first woman finisher.
first time a woman has even started loop 5.
AggieOO
8:20a, 3/22/24
Aggie Therapist said:

I'd love to share a beer with the great OO someday.

Also, what are your thoughts on Laz?

I get narcissistic and grandiose vibes from him.
first, i'm far from great, but flattered.

secondly, I love Laz. Obviously I don't know him personally, but he seems like a super genuine guy. He really cares about the runners, and he REALLY cares about his community.

Met him once, most likely will again this fall. He seems like a solid guy to me.

txag2008
9:11a, 3/22/24
In reply to AggieOO
That's not fair! Rizzuto's not a word! He's a baseball player!
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 8 of 13
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings