****2024 Trail and Ultra Running****
21,829 Views | 445 Replies
AggieOO
5:18p, 4/22/24
In reply to aggiespartan
they intro you to the runners and give a little background. Its not US-centric, but there are American runners as well as some US races in there. But obviously, its centering on the Golden Trail World Series, which only has 2 races in the series. They do mention the National Series too, which has more races. I'm only a couple episodes in though, so what i'm saying is limited to what I've watched thus far.
aggiespartan
5:30p, 4/22/24
In reply to AggieOO
AggieOO said:

i know that the popularity has increased, but I was just surprised to see it sell out a year in advance. I'm not too far into the 200+ world, so maybe I'm just out of touch.
I think they are definitely getting more popular. Cocodona is sold out for this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if it sold out quickly for next year.
AggieOO
6:47p, 4/22/24
In reply to aggiespartan
Cocodona also had to reduce the field size recently.
aggiespartan
8:14p, 4/22/24
In reply to AggieOO
AggieOO said:

From what I understand, they just had to reroute the different distances because of 2 species that are protected (1 plant, 1 bird), so what they did was split up 250 from the 125.
coop-aero-06
9:04p, 4/22/24
In reply to AggieOO
Ah, gotcha. It didn't click with me that it's a full year in advance.
AggieOO
8:04a, 4/23/24
In reply to aggiespartan
aggiespartan said:

AggieOO said:

From what I understand, they just had to reroute the different distances because of 2 species that are protected (1 plant, 1 bird), so what they did was split up 250 from the 125.
they did split the routes (the 125 now has a shuttled section, which is weird), but saw on the cocodona group that the field size for the 250 was also reduced. The race wasn't sold out until that reduction, from what I read.
aggiespartan
8:41a, 4/23/24
In reply to AggieOO
Weird. I wonder how big the field will be for 2025.
AggieOO
9:46a, 4/23/24
knowing Aravaipa, i'd think they make changes for next year to alleviate the issues that popped up this year. That said, Jamil likes to open registration during the event, so who knows if they will have time to placate the governing bodies.
aggiespartan
11:09a, 4/23/24
Yea, last year it opened on like the 3rd day of the race. I'm planning on signing up as soon as I see it.
AggieOO
4:49p, 4/24/24
Since we have been talking 200s, this is an interesting article from irunfar

https://www.irunfar.com/a-data-driven-primer-on-200-mile-races
aggiespartan
5:39p, 4/24/24
In reply to AggieOO
That's interesting. The sleep thing is a mystery to me.
aggiespartan
3:36p, 4/25/24
Mt. Fuji 100 is going on right now. Courtney is currently winning for the women. Nicole Bitter is there too. John Rea is top 5 men right now.
aggiespartan
5:48p, 4/25/24
Nicole is in 3rd but over an hour behind. Courtney just went into the 70k aid station and she's still 1st female, 5/6 overall. She was running with the 5th guy.
aggiespartan
8:53a, 4/26/24
Courtney finished 3rd overall, about 30 seconds behind 2nd place. No other women have finished yet.
AggieOO
9:19a, 4/26/24
In reply to aggiespartan
are you watching the live feed? b/c i tried finding tracking yesterday, but the website is terrible.
aggiespartan
9:40a, 4/26/24
In reply to AggieOO
Yea, the live feed on Mountain Outpost. 2nd female just finished.
AggieOO
3:11p, 4/27/24
Canyons coverage is a million times better than last year
aggiespartan
12:45p, 4/28/24
So I've decided to sign up for the Badger 100 in Wisconsin. It's not my typical race - it's a rails to trails deal. People have said they wore road shoes but my regular road race shoes don't have much traction at all, and would be kind of slippery on dirt. What kind of shoes would everyone use on non technical packed dirt?
AggieOO
1:47p, 4/28/24
I'd wear my road shoes. Suppose that's not much help.
aggiespartan
3:08p, 4/28/24
In reply to AggieOO
What road shoes specifically? I'm not opposed to wearing road shoes, but I need some with a little more grip than what I currently wear.
AggieOO
3:17p, 4/28/24
I wear brooks launch. I've worn them on those types of trails many times and never had any issues.
aggiespartan
4:08p, 4/28/24
In reply to AggieOO
Yea, those have more tread than my regular road shoes. Thanks.
AggieOO
12:40p, 4/29/24
dropped today

Sweep4-2
5:16p, 4/29/24
In reply to aggiespartan
Have you looked at the Hoka Challenger 7's? Not a true road shoe or trail shoe, but an in-between. Definitely not as fast as a road shoe, but fairly light and with some traction.

But full disclosure, I'm not an ultra runner (yet) but I hope to change that soon (Silverton Alpine 50K in July).
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
aggiespartan
5:38p, 4/29/24
In reply to Sweep4-2
I haven't tried them on yet, but I've head they run narrow. I need to go somewhere and try a bunch of shoes on. I'll probably get to that after this week. I wore hokas for a while, but when they updated, they changed all of their shoes. I haven't been able to settle on a rotation since.
aggiespartan
6:54p, 4/29/24
What do you all use for waterproof drop bags? Big ziplocks? Something fancier?
AggieOO
7:09p, 4/29/24
In reply to aggiespartan
I use plastic bins.

Had raccoons chew through my ziploc drop bag at Mohican 100 and eat all my nutrition. That was the end of plastic bags for me.
aggiespartan
7:18a, 4/30/24
In reply to AggieOO
what do you do if bins aren't allowed?
AggieOO
7:33a, 4/30/24
In reply to aggiespartan
Haven't had a race that hasn't allowed them. Size restrictions, sure, but mine are shoebox size.

I have a couple dry bags I suppose I'd use if I had to.
RustyBoltz
10:31a, 4/30/24
In reply to aggiespartan
I went back to rotating in a pair of Altra Torins for higher mileage and found they have a bit more grip on dirty surfaces. If I'm specifically running a route that has trails and pavement, I run in Altra Outroads.
Tamuag04
11:32a, 4/30/24
In reply to Sweep4-2
They are definitely an road to off-road hybrid. Complete redesign and it feels like the toe box narrows/tapers HARD. Full disclosure - for technical and/or longer runs (i.e. Bandera) I wear Mafate 4s. For faster ultras (i.e. Rocky Racoon) I run in Speedgoat 5s (skipped SG3 and 4 because of how narrow they were - through the toebox and throughout the entire shoe really - relative to the SG2s; SG5s are an improvement in that regard). For 5K-10K trails, I still run in EVO SGs. I really like the midsole on the Challengers and the outsole seems pretty good for being non-Vibram but I knew immediately after trying them on that they weren't going to work. Had a very SG3/SG4 feel to them. Only 5mm drop but it definitely feels like more - felt like it was throwing me forward similar to the Mach 6.
Sweep4-2
8:52p, 4/30/24
In reply to Tamuag04
Yeah, I've got both pairs (SG5 and C7) and while both comfortable, they definitely have a different feel (for me anyway).

Both were hard to get used to after running in Saucony Peregrines, but I've now settled into the SG5's and they feel pretty good. I'm still not sold completely on the C7's.....but it may be because the two runs I did recently in them were miserable (hot/humid, not the shoes).
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
johnson2012
1:51p, 5/2/24
Any of y'all done an event by Mad Moose? How do they compare to Tejas/Aravaipa/etc?

I'm moving to CO in a few weeks (wahoo!) and am looking at the CB Ultra as my main race this fall. Specifically the 55k. It's at the end of Sept so I am thinking having all summer will give me ample time to get a few mountain miles in and at least be slightly prepared.

https://www.madmooseevents.com/crested-butte-ultra
AggieOO
9:56a, 5/3/24
Moutain Outhouse News!

aggiespartan
10:50a, 5/3/24
In reply to AggieOO
"We really need a men's fit"
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back