Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

**** 2024 Fat Loss & Health Goals ****

31,962 Views | 419 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by texag06ish
texag06ish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just keep at it. I highly recommend adding resistance training (if you haven't already).
Ryan the Temp
AG
texag06ish said:

Just keep at it. I highly recommend adding resistance training (if you haven't already).
Does having the resistance on the elliptical maxed out count?

I'm starting a weight program with a trainer in mid-May.
aggiegolfer03
AG
I held out with my goal (maintaining weight) for as long as I could stand it. For the first time in EVER I got my bloodwork done when I was maintaining my weight for multiple months though, so I feel like I finally got a good number on things like test and lipid panels (all good). Last year i was still way fat and losing like 1-2 lbs a week and my test levels were still very low normal.

Got all my stuff in a month before my yearly physical though, ready to start about a 2 month cut to shave off 6-10 lbs of fat.
JustPanda
AG
That's why I use the measuring tape. I've found it way more accurate than the scale.
JustPanda
AG
Also it's how you feel. Body Fat % is just a number. How you feel and how your body is adapting are something you can't quantify with one number.
texag06ish
AG
Awesome! This should help your body recomposition significantly.

For now, I'd also recommend tracking your heart rate during exercise and target at least 4 collective min of working out in Zone 4 (which is about 85% of your max heart rate). This should be easy if you own an Apple Watch.
Ryan the Temp
AG
texag06ish said:

Awesome! This should help your body recomposition significantly.

For now, I'd also recommend tracking your heart rate during exercise and target at least 4 collective min of working out in Zone 4 (which is about 85% of your max heart rate). This should be easy if you own an Apple Watch.
I'm actually finding it difficult to get my HR up that high during cardio. Example - Tonight I did 30 minutes on the elliptical with it maxed out at level 20 resistance and my average HR was 147. My peak was 166 and I was above 156 for a total of 10 minutes. The other 20 minutes was between 128 and 156. I'm going to start increasing the incline level and see if that helps, but as I've increased my resistance from 6 to 20, my HR has adapted fairly quickly and after a day or 2 or higher resistance was back to the mid-upper 140s.
JustPanda
AG
I know this sounds crazy, but I've found one of the best cardio activities I can do to cut bad weight is hot yoga.
texag06ish
AG
Definitely try the incline. My normal 5k route is about 415ft of elevation gain and I can definitely tell where the hills are when I look at my HR chart.
texag06ish
AG
@ryan the temp I wanted to share this with you. This is my morning walk up and down what I call the "hill of doom". The actual hill is about a 1/3 of a mile with 200ft of elevation gain. The entire walk was at a power walk in pace (20 min mile). You can tell exactly where I was going back up the hill by my heart rate.

I also added a pic of the hill for reference.

Ryan the Temp
AG
Crossed the 35 pound mark today. I'm feeling super motivated.
bagger05
AG
Hell yeah! Keep it up!
Waltrip88
AG
Starting weight: 245.3
Current weight: 203.3
Goal: 200

I had one day this week we're I was 201.5, but I've consistently been in the 203s all week beside that day. Still lifting weights three days a week, running 5 miles three days and one 10 mile run.
BassCowboy33
BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

12/15/23
Ht: 5'05"
Wt: 174
nFFMI: 25.02
BF%: ~17%

I weighed 174 in mid December when I started my goal to be down to about 160 by mid-March. I have floated between 170-180 since about 2014. I'm built like a tank with a mesomorph body, so BMI and Navy standards always have a problem with me (Was always sent to the "fat" line for weigh-ins).

My progress has been stunning, and I'm crashing through what I thought possible.

1/22/24
Wt: 163
nFFMI: 24.04
BF%: ~15%

80% of this is clean eating. I started ordering daily meals from Factor, which usually are chicken/pork and a vegetable, ranging from 400-900 Calories. For snacks, it's either a fruit (cherries/peaches/apple sauce), a slice of prosciutto, or a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter. The goal is to hit between 1600-2200 Calories six days per week. I do take creatine, using the HCl dosage. It's what we used to take playing football in college, and I got away from it after an emergency surgery in 2014 when my appendix staged a coup. Dinner is usually about 4 oz of steak or a few scrambled eggs with Tabasco, coupled with the aforementioned snacks.

I have a cheat meal each week, where I eat whatever I want, but I usually plan that. For example, Sunday was a Large Wing Combo from Wingstop with +5 wings on the side. A week ago, it was 2 Chipotle burritos plus chips and guac. I've found this keeps me on track and keeps cravings away.

The workouts have become essential as well. It's divided into three parts upper/lower/run, one per day with a rest day. I do each twice per week. I am also a walking fiend. I aim to hit 10,000 steps/day but routinely crush through 15,000/day. I was a walking dude before any of this weight loss started, so I'm on about a 70-day streak of breaking 10,000 steps. I've also lowered my mile time by about 1:15/mile, which is huge for a slow a guy like me. Resting heart rate has dropped from about 65bpm to 57 bpm.

Last week at the office, I had multiple people ask me if I'd lost weight and told me I looked younger. Midsection definition has returned, but abs are not fully formed yet. Upper chest definition has returned as well. Now, that I'm smashing through the original goal, I'm aiming for 150. I ran a marathon in 2012 at about 145.

01/31/24
Wt: 160.4 lbs

02/05/24
Wt: 158.8 lbs

Had a couple of superfluous days. I smashed a large popcorn and Coke Zero at the movies the other day and did a story at a sports bar, where I downed some delicious wings. Still dropped for the week, so we're good.
2/11/24
Wt: 155.8 lbs

Checking in a day early, because Super Bowl Cheat Day. Had to order a new belt this week.
2/18/24
Wt: 155.0 lbs
2/25/24
7Wt: 155.5 lbs
HWt: 157.4 lbs
LWt: 154.3 lbs
ChW: -1.3 lbs

Per our conversations, I'm going to start including my high, low, and seven-day average weights in this to give a more realistic look.
3/03/24
Wt: 153.0 lbs
7Wt: 153.7 lbs
HWt: 155.1 lbs
LWt: 152.1 lbs
ChW: -1.8 lbs

I won't have an official weigh in next week, since I'll be on vacation. So, the next major weigh-in will be 3/17.
3/17/24
Wt: 153.3 lbs
7Wt: 156.2 lbs
HWt: 160.7 lbs
LWt: 153.3 lbs
ChW: +2.1 lbs

A bit of a misnomer, as the water weight coming off my vacation started me off at up over 160 lbs. Took me the whole week to return to normal weight levels. Next week should be a solid drop.
3/24/24
Wt: 154.4 lbs
7Wt: 152.5 lbs
HWt: 154.4 lbs
LWt: 150.2 lbs
ChW: -3.7 lbs

Back on the lam. Nearly dropped below my goal of 150 lbs on Saturday. Celebrated my birthday on Saturday with Whataburger and Benihana, which threw me back up over 154 this morning. I go on vacation starting Tuesday, so my next report won't be until the second week of April.

I'm pretty convinced that I'll now aim for 145 lbs or June 1 as a final weight goal. The plan is then to keep a 145-150 maintenance throughout the summer, which will require a fairly significant caloric increase (from ~1,800 to ~2,700 per day). I'm thinking about ordering from Good Chop (but open to other suggestions). Once mid-October rolls around, I'll hit a bulk phase through winter and see what I can accomplish in gains.
4/07/24
Wt: 151.9 lbs
7Wt: 154.6 lbs
HWt: 157.0 lbs
LWt: 151.9 lbs
ChW: +2.2 lbs

I'm back, fools! The vacation time was great! I spent most of this week losing that water weight and getting back into the food and workout grind. This week only had five measured days, which isn't indicative of my overall results. I should see a return to normalcy this week and hopefully drop under 150 lbs by the middle of April.
4/14/24
Wt: 154.1 lbs
7Wt: 153.0 lbs
HWt: 154.2 lbs
LWt: 152.3 lbs
ChW: -1.6 lbs

Back on the lam. It's not my lowest pre-vacation, but it's pretty close. Getting into crunch time before swimsuit season.
4/21/24

7Wt: 152.2 lbs
HWt: 154.1 lbs
LWt: 149.7 lbs
ChW: -0.8 lbs

A topsy-turvy week sees a moderate drop and my lowest recorded daily weight yet. What's left of the Rangers roster is in Atlanta this week, so I went to a game and pounded a double cheeseburger, curly fries, two souvenir sodas (Truist Park ran out of Coke in the 4th inning, lol), and a whole bag of peanuts.

I'm going to try to keep it real this week, but with an absolutely loaded playoff slate of Mavs/Stars every single day and a fill-in week where I'm working early-morning shifts, it's gonna be tough.
bagger05
AG
Been on a bit of a break for a couple weeks. Not totally off the rails but not weighing in or tracking food as diligently. Getting back after it 100%.
JustPanda
AG
Crazy what a year plus a little can do if you're patient and trust yourself and the process.

First picture is from December 2022 - probs my heaviest and most miserable mentally I've ever been.

Second picture is from this morning.

Moral of the story: slow and steady wins the race and trust yourself even when things don't look like they're going the right direction. Progress over perfection.

texag06ish
AG
Great work! Just curious - what are your weights in these photos?

Any clue what your BF% is?
JustPanda
AG
First I'm at roughly 218 lbs and 33% BF
Second im 143 lbs and 7.8% BF
texag06ish
AG
Thanks for sharing.

I'm hoping to land at 185 and 14% before I adjust my macros to add calories and change focus from losing fat to building muscle mass. Those photos are helpful reference.
BassCowboy33
Really plateauing lately. Can't keep myself below 150.
JustPanda
AG
What I've found was that once it started to go it went FAST. Then I hit a wall around 160 that I couldn't push through w just working out and cutting out sodas sugars etc. The last 15 lbs I've had to really focus on holistic nutrition and gently increasing the amount of rigorous exercise. My body originally wanted to keep pushing back into that space but after a month or so of really staying vigilant to the process, now I'm comfortably between 140-146 depending on when I step on the scale. I've had FAR fewer crazy jumps from 145 to 155+ like I was having the first couple of weeks.

And I'll say it again, when I was whale heavy, the thing I found that legit just melted to weight off was hot yoga. I felt like I was gonna die for the first couple of weeks, but something about the heat and breath work and movement made my body happy to shed the extra pounds. It was almost like it was thankful for the chance..
proudaggie02
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

Curious your reason for wanting to weigh so little?
BassCowboy33
proudaggie02 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Curious your reason for wanting to weigh so little?

Goal is to get around 8%-11% body fat. Right now, I'm floating at somewhere between 13%-15%. Nothing to cough at, but my self-imposed summer deadline is Memorial Day Weekend. After that, I hit a maintenance phase. Right now, I have, like, a 4.5 pack. Would love for the six-pack by the deadline.

This has all been adjusted. I was originally at 175. The thought was knock of 10, but that came quickly, then I just kept adjusting it as time went on. Ive been pounding protein, so my lifts have all stayed the same. Also dropped about 2.5 minutes on my mile. Waist dropped from a 33 to a 30. It's all vanity now.
BassCowboy33
BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

12/15/23

I weighed 174 in mid December when I started my goal to be down to about 160 by mid-March. I have floated between 170-180 since about 2014. I'm built like a tank with a mesomorph body, so BMI and Navy standards always have a problem with me (Was always sent to the "fat" line for weigh-ins).

My progress has been stunning, and I'm crashing through what I thought possible.

1/22/24

80% of this is clean eating. I started ordering daily meals from Factor, which usually are chicken/pork and a vegetable, ranging from 400-900 Calories. For snacks, it's either a fruit (cherries/peaches/apple sauce), a slice of prosciutto, or a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter. The goal is to hit between 1600-2200 Calories six days per week. I do take creatine, using the HCl dosage. It's what we used to take playing football in college, and I got away from it after an emergency surgery in 2014 when my appendix staged a coup. Dinner is usually about 4 oz of steak or a few scrambled eggs with Tabasco, coupled with the aforementioned snacks.

I have a cheat meal each week, where I eat whatever I want, but I usually plan that. For example, Sunday was a Large Wing Combo from Wingstop with +5 wings on the side. A week ago, it was 2 Chipotle burritos plus chips and guac. I've found this keeps me on track and keeps cravings away.

The workouts have become essential as well. It's divided into three parts upper/lower/run, one per day with a rest day. I do each twice per week. I am also a walking fiend. I aim to hit 10,000 steps/day but routinely crush through 15,000/day. I was a walking dude before any of this weight loss started, so I'm on about a 70-day streak of breaking 10,000 steps. I've also lowered my mile time by about 1:15/mile, which is huge for a slow a guy like me. Resting heart rate has dropped from about 65bpm to 57 bpm.

Last week at the office, I had multiple people ask me if I'd lost weight and told me I looked younger. Midsection definition has returned, but abs are not fully formed yet. Upper chest definition has returned as well. Now, that I'm smashing through the original goal, I'm aiming for 150. I ran a marathon in 2012 at about 145.

01/31/24

02/05/24

Had a couple of superfluous days. I smashed a large popcorn and Coke Zero at the movies the other day and did a story at a sports bar, where I downed some delicious wings. Still dropped for the week, so we're good.
2/11/24

Checking in a day early, because Super Bowl Cheat Day. Had to order a new belt this week.
2/18/24
2/25/24

Per our conversations, I'm going to start including my high, low, and seven-day average weights in this to give a more realistic look.
3/03/24

I won't have an official weigh in next week, since I'll be on vacation. So, the next major weigh-in will be 3/17.
3/17/24

A bit of a misnomer, as the water weight coming off my vacation started me off at up over 160 lbs. Took me the whole week to return to normal weight levels. Next week should be a solid drop.
3/24/24

Back on the lam. Nearly dropped below my goal of 150 lbs on Saturday. Celebrated my birthday on Saturday with Whataburger and Benihana, which threw me back up over 154 this morning. I go on vacation starting Tuesday, so my next report won't be until the second week of April.

I'm pretty convinced that I'll now aim for 145 lbs or June 1 as a final weight goal. The plan is then to keep a 145-150 maintenance throughout the summer, which will require a fairly significant caloric increase (from ~1,800 to ~2,700 per day). I'm thinking about ordering from Good Chop (but open to other suggestions). Once mid-October rolls around, I'll hit a bulk phase through winter and see what I can accomplish in gains.
4/07/24

I'm back, fools! The vacation time was great! I spent most of this week losing that water weight and getting back into the food and workout grind. This week only had five measured days, which isn't indicative of my overall results. I should see a return to normalcy this week and hopefully drop under 150 lbs by the middle of April.
4/14/24

Back on the lam. It's not my lowest pre-vacation, but it's pretty close. Getting into crunch time before swimsuit season.
4/21/24

A topsy-turvy week sees a moderate drop and my lowest recorded daily weight yet. What's left of the Rangers roster is in Atlanta this week, so I went to a game and pounded a double cheeseburger, curly fries, two souvenir sodas (Truist Park ran out of Coke in the 4th inning, lol), and a whole bag of peanuts.

I'm going to try to keep it real this week, but with an absolutely loaded playoff slate of Mavs/Stars every single day and a fill-in week where I'm working early-morning shifts, it's gonna be tough.
4/28/24

Wt: 151.3 lbs
LWt: 149.9 lbs
ChW: 0.0 lbs

A few days ago, this looked like it was going to be worse until a couple of good days dropped me to push. The culprit was definitely popcorn. I saw two films (Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare and Monkey Man), and they were my bugaboo. I'm going to try a pretty drastic carb cut over the next few weeks to see if I can push those final 4-5 pounds off by the end of May.

I'm also instituting part of my summer plan a little early. I've ordered a chunk of meat from Good Chop, which I'll use to replace some of the more carby meals. I'm back on Hello Fresh for my "cheat" meals. We're going to see what this doesn't and provide a little trial for when the maintenance phase comes around.
JustPanda
AG
Down to 6.7% BF. 6 weeks out to show so still some time to keep things moving.
infinity ag
infinity ag said:

1 Jan: 176 lbs
1 Feb: 171.9 lbs
1 Mar: 170.8 lbs
1 Apr: 167.9 lbs

I am watching my diet AND going to the gym at least 3 times a week. Maybe even 4. So my muscle mass is going up which contributes to increasing weight but percentage body fat is dropping even faster.

1 May: 166.3lbs

Nothing drastic, just slow and steady. I want to reach 165lbs by 1 June.
I still have some flab around the waist area but it is reducing. I need to build more muscle. I have not been in best physical shape last few weeks with lots of aches and pains.
Waltrip88
AG
Starting weight: 245.3
Current weight: 199.0

Hit my goal of 200. New goal 180. Still working out 3-4 days a week, running 5 miles 3 times a week, and one long run of at least 10 miles.
BassCowboy33
Man, the bottom is dropping out this week. Average is down 3+ lbs. Not sure if it'll hold, but my slight alterations are having big effects. It'll likely be my first full-average week under my weight goal.
bagger05
AG
My vacation from discipline has lasted a bit too long.

Weight isn't really up much. Probably some water weight that will come off pretty quickly.

Back to the grind.
CFTXAG10
AG
I am on a good streak right now, trying to keep it going. Some things that are working out for me are committing to getting up at 5:30am to get my lift/cardio in early, packing my lunch/meal prepping, and finding alternates to sugar to satisfy my sweet tooth (mostly oikos triple zero greek yogurt).

The game changer in all of that has been morning workouts. I love setting that tone early and it keeps me motivated throughout the day to not eff it up.
Waltrip88
AG
Same here. I like to run first thing in the morning around 5-6am and go to the gym after 8pm. It's nice to beat the heat and crowds.
BassCowboy33
CFTXAG10 said:

I am on a good streak right now, trying to keep it going. Some things that are working out for me are committing to getting up at 5:30am to get my lift/cardio in early, packing my lunch/meal prepping, and finding alternates to sugar to satisfy my sweet tooth (mostly oikos triple zero greek yogurt).

The game changer in all of that has been morning workouts. I love setting that tone early and it keeps me motivated throughout the day to not eff it up.
Plus, there's no better feeling than getting home from work and knowing you can veg.
TXTransplant
Haven't followed up because weight is a sore subject. But about a month ago, I saw that Bret Contreras (the Glute Guy) says that 20 hip thrusts at 315 lbs is "elite". Well, I've been doing 15 at 295 for a while, and I want to be elite.

So, I've been working on that. Hit 20 at 295 earlier this week, and just hit 20 at 315 this morning. And I did two sets of 20 at that weight!

It's these little goals that keep me motivated!
BassCowboy33
BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

BassCowboy33 said:

12/15/23

1/22/24

01/31/24

02/05/24

2/11/24

2/18/24
2/25/24

3/03/24

3/17/24

3/24/24

4/07/24

4/14/24

4/21/24

4/28/24

Wt: 151.3 lbs
LWt: 149.9 lbs
ChW: 0.0 lbs

A few days ago, this looked like it was going to be worse until a couple of good days dropped me to push. The culprit was definitely popcorn. I saw two films (Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare and Monkey Man), and they were my bugaboo. I'm going to try a pretty drastic carb cut over the next few weeks to see if I can push those final 4-5 pounds off by the end of May.

I'm also instituting part of my summer plan a little early. I've ordered a chunk of meat from Good Chop, which I'll use to replace some of the more carby meals. I'm back on Hello Fresh for my "cheat" meals. We're going to see what this doesn't and provide a little trial for when the maintenance phase comes around.
5/03/24

Wt: 149.7 lbs
7Wt: 149.4 lbs
HWt: 150.8 lbs
LWt: 147.0 lbs
ChW: -2.8 lbs

A breakthrough! And just like that, the goal has been achieved! I start slowly ramping the calories back up over the next few weeks.

Start Weight: 175
End Weight: 150

The purpose is now to maintain throughout summer, i.e., keeping the weekly average under 155. Then, in late fall, we bulk.
texag06ish
AG
April Overview:
Current Weight - 207
Total Weight Lost in April - 12.8lbs
Total Workout Minutes: 50 hours, 28 minutes
Total Workout Calories Burned working out: 19,649
Total Calories Consumed: 72,503

Slightly ahead of schedule and should be at 200 by the first week in June.

I've decided I won't do anymore scans until I reach 185. I have enough data points to confidently estimate that I'm losing about .85lbs of fat and .15lbs of muscle mass per pound loss. 185 should put me at 14% body fat, then I'll reevaluate my goals.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.