Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Cutting out sugar

5,160 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 30 min ago by TikkaShooter
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I love sugary drinks and desserts. All my life I have been on the skinnier side even though I would indulge in Coke and ice cream. A few years ago, I had a job involving travel and free food so I indulged in steak, burgers, coke, desserts... went up to 189 lbs. I was confident I could reduce with running - I had done that in the the past in 2014. But after I quit that job, I was not able to get to my goal very easily just with running. My goal was 160-165lbs and while I got to 175lbs, it would fluctuate to 180 and back.

This year I thought I'd do something different. We generally have home cooked dinners every evening and have a tradition of ordering in on Friday evenings if we are home. I would have a Coke with it every weekend. Occasionally mid week. So I decided I would completely cut down my Coke for January. And also ice cream. And reduce sugar in coffee and reduce desserts. I saw about 4lbs drop in Jan without any exercise. Then I joined the gym in Feb to build some muscle. I am now at 168lbs, a 8 lb decrease since Jan 1.

The different from the past was that I have completely given up Coke and ice cream and go easy on other sugary stuff. I go to the gym but do only light work.

Folks who are having trouble with losing weight should consider cutting out sugar. May just work.
bam02
AG
Sugar is definitely bad.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Good for you for recognizing and making the change!

It always blows my mind the amount of people that fail to comprehend how many calories they consume in liquid form every day. Stay the hell away from soft drinks, even diet ones. It is just not worth it, in my opinion.
Moral High Horse
Been off the white powder since Ash Wednesday. Week 1-2 was rough. But now I feel fantastic. Still managed to avoid all the Easter Candy.

Watched a lot of youtube videos on the medical cons of sugar that kept me motivated. The medical impact sugar has on heart disease, diabetes and the immune system is staggering.
Tex117
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Good for you for recognizing and making the change!

It always blows my mind the amount of people that fail to comprehend how many calories they consume in liquid form every day. Stay the hell away from soft drinks, even diet ones. It is just not worth it, in my opinion.
This.

Really try not to "drink" your calories.
infinity ag
My suggestion is to first stop with the obvious sugar items - Coke and related soft drinks, and ice cream. Also stay away from the diet or sugar-free versions. Those have other problems.

Do that for 2 weeks and you will ease yourself in the right way. Then start cutting back on sugar in your coffee to only half teaspoon per cup. Etc etc. Merely cutting out coke + ice cream has put me on the right path. If I went gangbusters, it may help even more though it may increase the craving.
Utopia61
White sugar and white flour are slow acting ;poisons for the body. If fifty percent of the population would cut them out of their diet, the doctors' offices would be practically empty. These substances do not contribute anything positive to your health, but the negatives they bring are huge. Want to lose weight, feel better, stave off cancer, and enjoy life to its fullest? Give up these two items. Add exercise to the mix and your life will be much better.
TikkaShooter
That's a heck of a hot take.

I don't agree with you, but I think it's interesting to see what kind of stuff people will believe when it comes to nutrition, diet, exercise, etc.
bam02
AG
Hot take? No it's straight truth.
Ragoo
AG
Seriously. It's pretty spot on.
True Anomaly
AG
infinity ag said:

My suggestion is to first stop with the obvious sugar items - Coke and related soft drinks, and ice cream. Also stay away from the diet or sugar-free versions. Those have other problems.

Do that for 2 weeks and you will ease yourself in the right way. Then start cutting back on sugar in your coffee to only half teaspoon per cup. Etc etc. Merely cutting out coke + ice cream has put me on the right path. If I went gangbusters, it may help even more though it may increase the craving.

It's really cool that you've found something that works well for you in trying to lose weight

The problem with this statement is that it implies that someone can't lose weight unless they ALSO give up diet and sugar-free drinks. Which is absolutely false. You can- and people do- lose weight drinking diet drinks.

And believe it or not, for many people who start to lose weight, it's making the switch to a sugar-free version of their drinks that's the first step in order to change their habits. It doesn't solve the problem, but it gets them one step closer to their healthier self.

So when someone struggling with trying to lose weight keeps hearing "you must avoid all diet drinks", it can make some people feel hopeless and confused as to being so scared of different foods that they don't need to be scared of.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Trying to quit all sugar is near impossible unless you control/make every meal. Quitting "sweets" is much more doable and is what I recommend to recovering sugar addicts.

I would lick my finger and dip in kool aid powder when I was a kid and this mentality is what finally got me to quit 90%+ of my sugar intake. Don't worry about what you can't control when eating out, but do make an effort to choose foods you think have a minimal amount in them.

Good luck. I'm a year in and don't crave it anymore.
strohag
AG
Honestly if most of America would just drink actual coffee and not mix a bunch of sugar etc in it the obesity rate would drop. Put a little half & half in it if you need something to knock down the taste. Use less and less sugar. I've gotten to the point where i will drink it black most of the time. Occasionally throw some half & half in it. A lot of times I'll mix in 20mg of collagen for some protein. Starbucks is killing people with sugar daily. People don't drink coffee anymore, they drink sugar.
TikkaShooter
Please send link that all purpose white flour is a poison that causes cancer
Moral High Horse
google "Potassium bromate"
jtraggie99
AG
Moral High Horse said:

google "Potassium bromate"

Potassium bromate is an additive often found in baked goods (and not all baked goods). Many flours do not have it (including one of the bigger name brands of Gold Medal). But back to the question that was posed, how is white flour itself poisonous?
TikkaShooter
You mean an additive?

That's not flour. That's an additive.

I'm all for avoiding additives. Gums. Emulsifiers. But these things are not in unprocessed flour.
Cromagnum
AG
TikkaShooter said:

Flour is just another unnecessary carb that people could do without. Common thought is that "cancer loves sugar", so folks probably just put 1 and 1 together.
jtraggie99
AG
Cromagnum said:

TikkaShooter said:

Flour is just another unnecessary carb that people could do without. Common thought is that "cancer loves sugar", so folks probably just put 1 and 1 together.
Obviously, if you have cancer, then you are going to be making adjustments to what you put in your body to combat it. That does not mean the same as, sugar causes cancer. Never mind the sentiment being conveyed is that sugar is poisonous, which kind of implies any amount will kill you. Poisonous and causes cancer are two different things.

bam02
AG
When I stated that that was truth, I wasn't really referring to the cancer part specifically. My bad. But I have always read that cancer thrives on glucose, so cutting out sugar and refined flour should do the opposite.

Everything is a poison in sufficient dose, though
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
To say nothing of the inflammatory response caused by excessive sugar.
Matsui
AG
agreed on all try to cut back as much as possible
agpetz
infinity ag said:

what is wrong with diet soda?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
When you guys say "cutting out all sugar" are you talking about things like stevia/monk fruit too?

Nutella and Chocolate are 2 things I absolutely struggle with.
True Anomaly
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

When you guys say "cutting out all sugar" are you talking about things like stevia/monk fruit too?

Dunno about others here, but I'm definitely not talking about things like stevia or monkfruit or aspartame or Swerve or sucralose or any other artificial sweetener
Matsui
AG
Added sugars and white processed sugar. Brown sugar.
bam02
AG
There is a theory often referenced that these zero-calorie sweeteners trigger an insulin response just like sugar. I think it's pretty much been refuted but I'm not sure.

I personally don't believe the diet sodas are anywhere even close to being as bad as regular sodas. If you need the diet ones to get you through your day then I think it's not so bad.
traxter
Going down the YouTube rabbit hole the past few days. Avoid highly processed foods in general. Whether it's sugar or meats. I think some mild processed stuff is ok, like rice, or whole wheat breads. But I know some people think you shouldn't be eating any grains.

True Anomaly
AG
traxter said:

Going down the YouTube rabbit hole the past few days. Avoid highly processed foods in general. Whether it's sugar or meats. I think some mild processed stuff is ok, like rice, or whole wheat breads. But I know some people think you shouldn't be eating any grains.

Hot take- highly processed foods are not going anywhere in our lifetimes. A practical approach is - if you can't avoid them totally, then find a way to incorporate them without it becoming overwhelming can still lead to a healthy lifestyle
Ryan the Temp
AG
strohag said:

Honestly if most of America would just drink actual coffee and not mix a bunch of sugar etc in it the obesity rate would drop. Put a little half & half in it if you need something to knock down the taste. Use less and less sugar. I've gotten to the point where i will drink it black most of the time. Occasionally throw some half & half in it. A lot of times I'll mix in 20mg of collagen for some protein. Starbucks is killing people with sugar daily. People don't drink coffee anymore, they drink sugar.
I drink 24 ounces of coffee most days (over about 8-10 hours) and have taken the sugar down to a total of 14 grams and cream to 28 grams.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

Trying to quit all sugar is near impossible unless you control/make every meal. Quitting "sweets" is much more doable and is what I recommend to recovering sugar addicts.

I would lick my finger and dip in kool aid powder when I was a kid and this mentality is what finally got me to quit 90%+ of my sugar intake. Don't worry about what you can't control when eating out, but do make an effort to choose foods you think have a minimal amount in them.

Good luck. I'm a year in and don't crave it anymore.
I'm on Noom right now, and a huge part of the program is built around not depriving yourself of things because deprivation almost always leads to failure. Think of it like the old adage of whatever parents forbid their kids to do is exactly what the kids will do. I can attest to the accuracy of this as I've been on countless deprivation diets over the last 20 years.

What I've learned to do is reward myself with a reasonable sweet treat for something positive, whether it's celebrating a weight loss milestone, playing a great concert, making good food choices for the entire week, etc. This has helped me not crave sweets, and my ferocious sweet tooth gets its fix in a way that reinforces better behavior and decision making on my part.
infinity ag
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

I haven't cut out all sugar. I still have sugar with my coffee but I have reduced the amount. I have not had soda/pop since Jan 1. No ice cream either. Those are big sugar sources.

Everyone can decide what works for them. I don't have artificial sweeteners at all.
Moral High Horse
My next step is cutting out MOST fruits. Been eating too many bananas
Pepper Brooks
AG
Different strokes for different folks. I tried doing what you're describing but one treat usually ended up snowballing into more. I learned that I have to take a hardliner stance but that's just what works for me.
TikkaShooter
1:12 mark of the show.

Sugar. It's not a poison.

Animal models that use non physiologic doses are just dumb.

Have a little sugar. Have a sugar substitute. But just don't be a slob. Go the gym. Eat right. Sugar ain't killing ya.

https://peterattiamd.com/ep-300-exercise-nutrition-fasting-more/
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.