Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Anybody use bone conduction headphones?

1,306 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by Gilligan
gabehcoud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My kid left my earbuds on the airplane so I'm back in the market. I never liked wearing the earbuds on runs anyway, and these seem interesting.
aggiespartan
AG
Yes. I have two pair of Shokz. I've moved to only wearing them when I run.
Motot
AG
They're (Shokz) good for running. Sounds quality isn't the best for music but they serve their purpose well. I've put in earplugs with them on planes before when I've forgotten earbuds and they work well with that as well. No complaints after two years and hundreds of hours.
Ragoo
AG
Same with the Shokz. All I wear now.
AgLiving06
I just moved from AirPods to Shokz (OpenRun Pros were on sale recently).

The AirPods only lasted 1-1.5 years for me before sweating would destroy them.

I love the Shokz. Easily my favorite. Feels good to move around in and good in most settings. Since they aren't in your ear the sound isn't as loud as other options, but I get ear pains from wearing headphones too long so this mitigates it.

I also snagged some Jabra elite 8 earbuds for noise cancellation. They fit well in my ear (mostly) and definitely noise cancel.
O.G.
All Shokz all of the time. Everything else is diet coke.
RightWingConspirator
AG
I have a pair of shocks that I'll sell. I've had them now for a few years but have only worn them a few times. They are in like new condition. I stopped using them as I started using AirPods.

I'm at bagarner72 at gee mail if interested. I'll let them go for $50.
Bert315
AG
Shokz xtrainers which they don't make anymore but love bc I can also swim in them.
CrockerAg98
AG
Do y'all have trouble listening to books or podcasts on the shockz? That's pretty much all I listen to while running, and I worry the ambient noise may make it tough to understand.
Ragoo
AG
I listen to the All In podcast during my Saturday morning runs without issue.
TexasAggies06
AG
I find this is only an issue when it's particularly windy, or if you are running on a road with a lot of traffic, that noise can make it hard to hear a podcast. It's important to remember that you can damage your hearing if these are turned up too loud, just like in-the-ear headphones. I try to turn mine on before I leave the house in a quiet environment to make sure they are at a volume that's not too loud.
gabehcoud
RightWingConspirator said:

I have a pair of shocks that I'll sell. I've had them now for a few years but have only worn them a few times. They are in like new condition. I stopped using them as I started using AirPods.

I'm at bagarner72 at gee mail if interested. I'll let them go for $50.

emailed
AgLiving06
CrockerAg98 said:

Do y'all have trouble listening to books or podcasts on the shockz? That's pretty much all I listen to while running, and I worry the ambient noise may make it tough to understand.

No. I just listened to a book on Spotify on my run today and it was excellent.

Most podcasts are fine too..if you happen to have an episode that's a recording of a live talk converted to a podcast, if the sound is crap in general, it can be harder to hear.

Otherwise, it's just fine.
aggiebrad94
AG
I bought a pair of Amazon recommended knockoffs and love them.
LoneStarAg17
AG
This post has already been pretty well responded to, but I'll add my two cents as well.
Switched to Shokz during half marathon training about 6 months ago and love them for running.

Favorite part about them is still being able to hear ambient noise (cars / animals / people) when on runs for safety reasons. Almost got taken out by a car existing an alley before when I had in ear headphones previously.

You asked about podcasts, and I would say generally, they are loud enough to be fine. I'll stream rangers radio broadcast sometimes without issues, but if you are on a busy roadway you will not hear anything when traffic is passing, even music.

Also, they are not great on plane rides for movies. Podcasts / movies / books are fine, but the depth of sound in movies is not as great on movies with moderate ambient sound. So you'll lose some conversations in busier or quieter scenes of the movie.
TurboVelo
AG
Since nobody has mentioned the Shokz... I also have them and love them.

The only downside is that the transducer inside can come loose, and then they rattle around. My hearing is so bad that I don't really notice from a sound standpoint. But, it is something they warranty for and is a known issue. Make sure you register them. My theory is that whatever glue they use inside melts when they get left in a hot car, and I am extremely negligent in this regard.
Gilligan
AG
My first pair of Shokz lasted a little over 4 years.

Highly recommend. You can hear your music, take phone calls, etc... and hear cars coming from behind you.

Before finding Shokz I was an unofficial headphone tester. As a profuse sweater I could ruin headphones in just days. I went through a lot of products before landing on Shokz.

Open Run is my most recent purchase and love them.

edit to add: They suck on airplanes. use something else or make sure to take earplugs with you as it helps.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.