Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Texas MS150

1,662 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by agcivengineer
Bert315
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone riding this year? Looks like a pretty high tail/cross wind Saturday and a solid tail wind Sunday. Definitely will be warmer than last year though. Was hoping for it to be a little cooler but guess that's motivation to get done quicker.
jejdag
I'm in, but will be a headwind for me. I just haven't been able to get it together this year, so it will be a painful slog for me.
txags92
AG
I am in. I live in Bastrop and had been planning to start in Austin, but have changed plans to drive down and start at Royal HS in Pattinson instead. No way would I make it riding 75 miles into a 20+ mph headwind on Saturday. Looking forward to that full tailwind on Sunday for sure!
brianparrish015
I'm riding this year for the first time and pretty excited! Should be nice to have a tailwind!! Can't wait to finish by Kyle Field! I even got one of my old roommates coming from San Antonio to cheer me on at the finish line. Planning on bringing a few bottles of bourbon too.
Ag13
AG
Riding for the first time this year. Looking forward to it.
Nitro Power
AG
Starting from Energy Corridor. Hoping the rain stays away Sunday
MouthBQ98
AG
I may come out and spectate in the Smithville area. It's not far from my house.
txags92
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

If you are that close, go over to Fayetteville instead. Huge party on the town square, much more energy and entertainment. With the wind predicted, I expect a fairly small number of riders to start in Austin, so there may not be much to see.
txags92
AG
For all of y'all riding, and in particular, those riding for the first time, Thank You! From the bottom of my heart thank you. I was diagnosed with MS 18 years ago and have ridden every year since 2004 that wasn't cancelled due to weather or Covid until I skipped last year while we moved from Houston to Bastrop. I will be starting at Royal HS Saturday. I will be the dude in the I Ride With MS Jersey with bright yellow shoes on a black Trek. If you see me out there, feel free to drop in on my wheel. If you are out there riding for me, the least I can do is tow you through the wind.
IslandAg76
AG
I've ridden the Houston to Austin route previously. This year I'll be working a rest stop Saturday and Sunday
Bert315
AG
txags92 said:

MouthBQ98 said:

If you are that close, go over to Fayetteville instead. Huge party on the town square, much more energy and entertainment. With the wind predicted, I expect a fairly small number of riders to start in Austin, so there may not be much to see.

This is great advice. Fayetteville is a favorite to ride through. Stopped a couple of years and had a beer with the folks at a house on the corner of Main and Rusk that are always handing out beer.
Bert315
AG
Saturday looks great with the tailwind. Starting out at Energy corridor with some of our Houston Methodist team. If anyone wants to ride in that group we average around 18mph.

Sunday is looking iffy with the storms, hopefully they die out before getting to the course. Does anyone know if it's true there is gravel on the Carmine route for day 2?
El Presidente
AG
What time would you say riders start rolling into CS on Sunday? I think if weather allows I may hop on the bike and ride over to see the arrival.
Nitro Power
AG
My question is, if they have severe weather what is the plan for all the riders 1) assuming it starts and riders are on the road and 2) if the ride has a delayed start / cancelled because of pending inclement weather?
Bert315
AG
El Presidente said:

What time would you say riders start rolling into CS on Sunday? I think if weather allows I may hop on the bike and ride over to see the arrival.

I think the first riders start arriving around 11-11:30. We finished last year around noon and people were still finishing when we left around 2pm
txags92
AG
Bert315 said:

El Presidente said:

I think the first riders start arriving around 11-11:30. We finished last year around noon and people were still finishing when we left around 2pm
I would not be surprised if the first riders start arriving closer to 10-1030 on Sunday with the predicted tailwind. I would expect most to arrive 11-2pm.
txags92
AG
Nitro Power said:

My question is, if they have severe weather what is the plan for all the riders 1) assuming it starts and riders are on the road and 2) if the ride has a delayed start / cancelled because of pending inclement weather?
The main question I think is will they let us start on Sunday if there are storms already formed and on the way? They may hold the ride if the line is close and let it pass. They did that about 10 years ago and let a line of storms roll through then let us start riding from LaGrange around 9am. If the line dissipates before getting to I-35 in the morning as expected and their models are showing it not rebuilding until past CS or later in the afternoon, they will likely let us start, but may have a cutoff time and start using the leap ahead buses and bike trucks to sweep the course earlier than normal to get everybody off the course by early afternoon.
Ag13
AG
txags92 said:

For all of y'all riding, and in particular, those riding for the first time, Thank You! From the bottom of my heart thank you. I was diagnosed with MS 18 years ago and have ridden every year since 2004 that wasn't cancelled due to weather or Covid until I skipped last year while we moved from Houston to Bastrop. I will be starting at Royal HS Saturday. I will be the dude in the I Ride With MS Jersey with bright yellow shoes on a black Trek. If you see me out there, feel free to drop in on my wheel. If you are out there riding for me, the least I can do is tow you through the wind.
Appreciate your insight on the weather scenarios later in the thread. This is my first time doing the MS 150 so I have no idea what to expect. I'm also starting from Royal and will try to come by and give a gig em
Nitro Power
AG
It's the ride of a lifetime...so much fun

You will enjoy it!
txags92
AG
Ag13 said:

txags92 said:

Appreciate your insight on the weather scenarios later in the thread. This is my first time doing the MS 150 so I have no idea what to expect. I'm also starting from Royal and will try to come by and give a gig em

If you haven't already, opt in for the texts from the ride. That will be the fastest way to get updates on what is going on if things change. And bring a ziplock baggie to put your phone and id/cash in for sunday in case we get rained on.
txags92
AG
Hopefully y'all had fun and uneventful rides today. I started at Royal at around 730 because nobody seemed to be waiting around for the official start at 830. They were still setting up the lunch lines at Bellville when we got there at 9am.. Rolled into the fairgrounds around 1:35pm.
Nitro Power
AG
Ag13 said:

txags92 said:

Well how did it go, and what did you think after Day 1?
Ag13
AG
Nitro Power said:

Ag13 said:

txags92 said:

Well how did it go, and what did you think after Day 1?

Great time! Really enjoyed it. Hoping tomorrow can be done
Bert315
AG
Today was nice. Started at Addicks and overall good ride. I'm hoping the rain disappears enough for tomorrow to be enjoyable.

Have fun out there tomorrow!
wessimo
AG
Big line of thunderstorms approaching the route.
wessimo
AG
Luckily they went *poof* just as they approached CS.
agcivengineer
AG
I rode this year for my first time from Royal and did the round top route. I enjoyed it with my buddy and s coworker. I handed out a few gig em's to those in A&M gear. It was a nice solid pace with good tailwind. I got a bit nervous with so many people on the route I kept getting worried they would move in front of us as we went by. We made it safe and sound. I certainly enjoyed the rolling hills that we don't see much in west Katy.
LOYAL AG
AG
This was my 5th year riding, 7th to sign up with 20 and 21 cancelled. It went probably better than expected given yesterday's forecast. It really is a well done event and a lot of fun.

On a personal note my mom and sister both have MS which is what got me into this thing, a small show of support for them. Now it kind of defines my spring with me starting to ramp up in February so I'm ready for it. Given that thanks to everyone for the participation in such an important event.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Ag13
AG
We got very lucky with the weather based on pics I saw from College Station later last night. Glad to have completed it, was a great time! And very cool to end at Kyle Field
Dalhousietrio
My 20th year! The train holdup at Summerville was my first..
jejdag
The train got me last year but not this year!
Finishing stretches into a headwind both days were not so much fun!
Dalhousietrio
Yes that crosswind was not fun
txags92
AG
Dalhousietrio said:

My 20th year! The train holdup at Summerville was my first..

I was crossing the tracks as that train was blowing its horn coming towards the intersection. I was probably one of the last 25 or so riders to get across ahead of it.

Day one was fun, but day two was not the easy day I was expecting. The forecasts I had been looking at were saying SSE or S winds for Sunday and based on what the records at Easterwood say, it was between SE and E, making it much more crosswind than I was expecting. That slog down Hwy 60 was just painful. I finished around 1:45, but was ready to be done about 1:15. But reaching the finish and seeing all those people out there riding and volunteering and cheering riders on all towards the goal of ending MS just makes it all so worth it.

Thanks again to all of you for your riding, and more importantly for your fundraising. Hope to see you again next year!
Dalhousietrio
Highway 60 was rough. I was planning on this being my last one but probably going to do it next year. Been Club 300 for the last 10 years so can't give up the fundraising
Bert315
AG
We rolled out around 6:30am yesterday and made it to College Station around noon. Weather was nice and only got lightly rained on. We got lucky on the weather clearing until late in afternoon and got through early enough to miss the train in Somerville.

The crosswind between Snook and College Station made it interesting and a little bit challenging but a great year. My 4th year completing and 6th signed up for. Love the finish at Kyle over the COA outside Austin.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.