Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Body Pain Getting Out of Bed in the Morning

1,904 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by VP at Pierce and Pierce
infinity ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey all. Middle aged guy here. I experience body pain in the morning when I get out of bed. It gets better in 15 minutes as I warm up. Anything I can do or is this part of aging and nothing can be done?
bam02
AG
What do you mean by bloody pain? Like pain, but somewhere in the body?
jtraggie99
AG
I mean I'm 47 and lift weights 4 days a week. There's usually always something sore these days . But then there is sore and then there is actual pain.
Hoosegow
Ah hahahahahahahahaha!

Maybe one of the first times I have thought of this on the HAF board. This has to be a troll!

Okay, sorry infinity. I know you post over here a lot. You are getting old. Just wait.
infinity ag
bam02 said:

What do you mean by bloody pain? Like pain, but somewhere in the body?

You might need newer glasses. I said "body pain", not "bloody pain".

It just feels stiff and painful to get out. Then I am okay with no pain in about 15 minutes. I wonder if I need to do certain exercises. I go to the gym 3 times a week for running and weights.
infinity ag
jtraggie99 said:

I mean I'm 47 and lift weights 4 days a week. There's usually always something sore these days . But then there is sore and then there is actual pain.

I guess I meant being sore, not pain.
bam02
AG
Do you work on flexibility much?
bigtruckguy3500
Where specifically? Back? Legs? Neck? Shoulders? Is it more muscle stiffness and tightness? Or is the joints that seem a bit rusty in the morning? And is it true pain? Or like a discomfort?

Hard to say. What's your current routine?

In general, there's a saying in sports medicine world - "Motion is lotion." The less you move the stiffer you become. So keep moving, and keep mobile, especially if it's your joints. If it's your muscles, is it due to inadequate recovery? Or not sufficient working out? Maybe you need soft tissue work, or more stretching.
2girlsdad
Did heavy squats this AM, I'll get out of bed stiff for the first 5 minutes tomorrow AM and then be good.

I'm 42.
Buford T. Justice
AG
As a 75 year old lady recently said to me, "getting old is a *****. Something hurts all of the time."
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
10andBOUNCE
AG
2girlsdad said:

Did heavy squats this AM, I'll get out of bed stiff for the first 5 minutes tomorrow AM and then be good.

I'm 42.

First 5 minutes?? Heavy squats mean the next 5 days I'm stiff.
Max Power
AG
It's more noteworthy when I wake up and nothing hurts.
OasisMan
AG
OA
hillcountryag86
AG
OP, do you take any prescriptions?
Southlake
I do a 25 minute session of yoga every other day ( in addition to cardio and resistance training)

No aches. No pain. Increased flexibility.

I hate yoga, but it really helps.

I'm 65
Farmer_J
I'll bet you a $100 bucks i's inflammation from bread and sugar. I had the exact same symptoms. Get out of bed in the morning feeling like a 90 year old man.

I cut out all bread and sugar during the keto craze and the first thing I noticed is that nothing hurt in the morning. I was limber like in my 20s.

Do an experiment for one month. It's life changing.
double aught
AG
Yeah, but when do you eat the bread and sugar?
infinity ag
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Where specifically? Back? Legs? Neck? Shoulders? Is it more muscle stiffness and tightness? Or is the joints that seem a bit rusty in the morning? And is it true pain? Or like a discomfort?

In general, there's a saying in sports medicine world - "Motion is lotion." The less you move the stiffer you become. So keep moving, and keep mobile, especially if it's your joints. If it's your muscles, is it due to inadequate recovery? Or not sufficient working out? Maybe you need soft tissue work, or more stretching.

Legs are fine. I mean mainly upper body. Shoulders and lower back. Neck is okay.

The last 2 weeks have been particularly bad. I have been sitting a lot during my job search with interviews and training stuff. I believe that causes lower back pain and it was excruciating for about a week. Then I go to the gym and do the torso twist machine thinking I wanted to strengthen it. The pain came back and is slowly subsiding.

I probably need to go on daily walk/jogs in the evening since I spend most of the day at my desk.
infinity ag
hillcountryag86 said:

OP, do you take any prescriptions?

None. Never have. In general I avoid meds if possible. Don't even take annual flu shots and I have been fine.
infinity ag
Southlake said:

I do a 25 minute session of yoga every other day ( in addition to cardio and resistance training)

No aches. No pain. Increased flexibility.

I hate yoga, but it really helps.

I'm 65

I need to get into Yoga. Everyone who does has positive things to say. What asanas do you recommend for beginners?
infinity ag
Farmer_J said:

I'll bet you a $100 bucks i's inflammation from bread and sugar. I had the exact same symptoms. Get out of bed in the morning feeling like a 90 year old man.

I cut out all bread and sugar during the keto craze and the first thing I noticed is that nothing hurt in the morning. I was limber like in my 20s.

Do an experiment for one month. It's life changing.

ooooooo!
I love bread and sugar, but I don't have it regularly. Usually I take a slice, split it into a quarter, apply some peanut butter and have that as a snack. Maybe once a week a slide as a sandwich with fish fillet inside.

Sugar, I love that but I 100% cut down pop/soda since Jan 1 and my weight has dropped 10 pounds since to 166lbs. So I see the difference. No ice cream either. But I have half spoon sugar in my coffee but go easy on desserts whenever it is around.

Maybe you are on to something.
bam02
AG
You need to work out and you need to stretch
agz win
AG
Maybe drink a glass of water and stretch in b d before getting up.
The Lost
infinity ag said:

bigtruckguy3500 said:

Legs are fine. I mean mainly upper body. Shoulders and lower back. Neck is okay.

The last 2 weeks have been particularly bad. I have been sitting a lot during my job search with interviews and training stuff. I believe that causes lower back pain and it was excruciating for about a week. Then I go to the gym and do the torso twist machine thinking I wanted to strengthen it. The pain came back and is slowly subsiding.

I probably need to go on daily walk/jogs in the evening since I spend most of the day at my desk.

Make sure you have a good ergonomic chair, your posture matters a ton
VP at Pierce and Pierce
I would encourage you to drink more water, spend 15-20 minutes every night stretching, use a rubber band for shoulder exercises, and try to eat less bread and sugar at night as these cause inflammation. In the morning, have 1 glass of water upon waking and try to stretch even if for 2 minutes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.