Battleship Texas is leaving San Jacinto on August 31
27,235 Views | 181 Replies
p_bubel
12:59p, 9/21/22
In reply to BuckshotJ
BuckshotJ said:

He pointed out the dead eye for "???" At the bow. What is that for?
I had to look around for that too. Deadeyes are for rigging, usually at the sides of the ship on the deck, but I still can't work out why the Texas has one at the keel.
p_bubel
1:07p, 9/21/22

Perhaps it had something to do with the rigging for the launch? I'm not finding much, if anything, about this online.
p_bubel
2:38p, 9/21/22
Finally figured it out.

A paravane

It's currently stored and attached to the turret.

FTACo88-FDT24dad
8:26p, 9/21/22
In reply to p_bubel
p_bubel said:

Finally figured it out.

A paravane

It's currently stored and attached to the turret.

Very cool. To me, this is the genius part of the paravane:

"The wings, or "planes", will pull the paravane away from the ship."

jkag89
7:56a, 9/23/22
jbeaman88
3:23p, 9/23/22
In reply to Ag_of_08
Ag_of_08 said:

Her hull is original, it just has blisters attached. Listening to them, they're planning to cut most of the blisters away below the waterline, she should look the same above, but the internals of the tanks are shot.
. That was my understanding too from the walk-around video Travis Davis did from dry dock. He later clarified, though, that after being cut away, the blisters will be built back with new internal structure, although slightly modified. They are doing this for historical value (only ones left in the world) as well as the additional flotation they provide.
Ciboag96
7:41p, 9/23/22
In reply to jbeaman88
jbeaman88 said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Her hull is original, it just has blisters attached. Listening to them, they're planning to cut most of the blisters away below the waterline, she should look the same above, but the internals of the tanks are shot.
. That was my understanding too from the walk-around video Travis Davis did from dry dock. He later clarified, though, that after being cut away, the blisters will be built back with new internal structure, although slightly modified. They are doing this for historical value (only ones left in the world) as well as the additional flotation they provide.

Plus, it adds to its stability in swells for greater accuracy. Much stabler platform to fire them 14's on than the new WW2 ships. May need them when Texas secedes.
Ciboag96
7:45p, 9/23/22
By the way, just finished a book on the USS Texas. I did not know the 1st Marine Division was officially formed into existence on the deck of Texas. She would eventually support them with her guns later in battle.

Also didn't know a Uboat had her dead to rights in the Atlantic but the US/Germany had not yet declared war on each other and the Uboat Captain was told to stand down. Meaty target to have to turn away from.
cbr
10:15p, 9/23/22
The stunning competence and brilliance of the men that designed and built this icon and those like it; jesus, i mean, men who fought in the civil war could have been on the team. The progress was just incredible, with no faster way to share knowledge than a school or library.
dcbowers
10:23p, 9/23/22
In reply to Ciboag96
Ciboag96 said:

By the way, just finished a book on the USS Texas. I did not know the 1st Marine Division was officially formed into existence on the deck of Texas. She would eventually support them with her guns later in battle.

Also didn't know a Uboat had her dead to rights in the Atlantic but the US/Germany had not yet declared war on each other and the Uboat Captain was told to stand down. Meaty target to have to turn away from.

Tell me about the book about the USS Texas.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ciboag96
10:32a, 9/24/22
In reply to dcbowers
Historic Battleship Texas: The Last Dreadnought by John Ferguson.

Short book <200 pages
Breggy Popup
3:41p, 9/24/22
FTACo88-FDT24dad
10:34p, 9/25/22
In reply to Breggy Popup
Bregxit said:

Excellent
txislandag86
8:29a, 12/11/22
nortex97
8:28p, 12/13/22
In reply to txislandag86
Some interesting shots, good update. That's…a lot of rust/iron oxide stripped off.

74OA
10:31a, 12/14/22
UPDATE
Breggy Popup
6:01p, 12/30/22
jbeaman88
4:28p, 1/8/23
Today's FB update:

BATTLESHIP TEXAS UPDATE

DRY DOCK TOURS

Yes, we're still running dry dock tours! We have dates posted until April 2023. For more information please visit: https://battleshiptexas.org/drydock/

GUN REPAIRS

Staff and volunteers are continuing work on both the 5" and 3" guns in the warehouse. New paint has started to go on the first 5"/51 gun and we will post pictures in the future!

SHIP REPAIRS

TORPEDO BLISTERS (Yes, new torpedo blisters ARE going back on) - New framing for the torpedo blisters are going on! The blisters will be of a slightly different design and square off at the bottom below the waterline. You can see how far they will go down on the ship's hull with the addition of more framing.

Foam removal on the Portside blisters is showing the condition they are in. The dents were caused by constant hydrostatic pressure on the steel.

HULL - As work continues moving aft, any holes in the ship's original hull (including areas under the blisters) are being repaired. New plates are added to thinner areas and smaller pin holes are welded up. They will be cutting more of the uneven blister skin at the top to make it even. The ship's hull on the starboard side is now being primed.

STERN - New plating continues being paced onto the ship's stern. As the new plates go on, they are welded to the repaired framing done while the ship was still at San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site.

SCRAP STEEL - Any steel that comes off the ship (and is deemed worthy) will be used in future fundraising. We have already started making prototypes of the new products we will be offering on our store.

Thank you all for the support and,

Come on Texas!
BmtAg96
9:21p, 1/8/23
Where will it be sent once repairs are completed?
Kaa98
9:29p, 1/8/23
In reply to BmtAg96
Sounds like it may be Galveston, but there has been no definitive decision at this point.
CanyonAg77
6:56a, 1/9/23
In reply to jbeaman88
Quote:

SCRAP STEEL - Any steel that comes off the ship (and is deemed worthy) will be used in future fundraising. We have already started making prototypes of the new products we will be offering on our store.
I have heard that some science labs look for steel that has been cast prior to 1945. Any steel younger than that has slight background radiation from atmospheric nuclear explosions. The lack of background radiation makes their instruments more accurate.

Obviously I'm hearing this third hand and am probably butchering my "facts".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel
jbeaman88
10:17a, 1/9/23
In reply to Kaa98
Kaa98 said:

Sounds like it may be Galveston, but there has been no definitive decision at this point.
In addition, the last time they mentioned the timeline to be complete with the repairs to be done in the dry dock at Gulf Copper, I believe it was in May '23. There's no way the final new berth location will be ready by then, whether in Baytown, Beaumont or Galveston. So unless they come up with significantly more money to do more repairs at Gulf Copper, we can expect she will go to an interim location (as yet unannounced) for additional repairs.

Something similar happened in 1990 after that dry docking when the upgrades to the San Jacinto berth weren't ready yet and she went to Green's Bayou where they installed the new wooden decking and the new mooring attachments, among other things.
BmtAg96
5:40p, 1/9/23
When will the decision be made on where the permanent home will be?
BrazosBendHorn
11:17a, 1/11/23
In reply to jbeaman88
jbeaman88 said:

Today's FB update:

BATTLESHIP TEXAS UPDATE

DRY DOCK TOURS

Yes, we're still running dry dock tours! We have dates posted until April 2023. For more information please visit: https://battleshiptexas.org/drydock/
Thanks for the link! Got my reservation for 1/15/23!
jkag89
11:44a, 1/11/23
jbeaman88
5:36p, 1/11/23
In reply to BmtAg96
BmtAg96 said:

When will the decision be made on where the permanent home will be?
That decision is way past due in the eyes of most followers so I wouldn't want to speculate. But it could have many impacts on the future of the ship going forward so I know they don't want to rush it too much.
BmtAg96
7:33p, 1/11/23
In reply to jbeaman88
I am hoping for Beaumont. The ship would be visible from I-10.
jbeaman88
8:35p, 1/11/23
In reply to BmtAg96
Username checks out
JABQ04
9:11p, 1/11/23
In reply to BmtAg96
BmtAg96 said:

I am hoping for Beaumont. The ship would be visible from I-10.

I like how the USS Alabama is visible once you cross Mobile Bay on I10
MAROON
9:06a, 1/13/23
Was in Galveston a week ago and snapped this pic

Cruise ship as compared to the Texas
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
jbeaman88
12:32p, 1/15/23
Today's FB update from Hunter Miertschin

BATTLESHIP TEXAS UPDATE

DRY DOCK TOURS

SHIP REPAIRS

TORPEDO BLISTERS (Yes, new torpedo blisters ARE going back on) - The addition of new framing for the torpedo blisters has stopped on the ship's starboard side. Any new frames will be done with modules that will consist of about 9 frames each. They are produced off of the dock and will he brought on and attached to the ship's hull.

**The first part of blister plate has been added!**

The blisters will be of a slightly different design and square off at the bottom below the waterline. You can see how far they will go down on the ship's hull with the addition of more framing.

Foam removal - Foam removal on the Portside blisters is nearly complete!

HULL - As work continues moving aft, any holes in the ship's original hull (including areas under the blisters) are being repaired. New plates are added to thinner areas and smaller pin holes are welded up. They will be cutting more of the uneven blister skin at the top to make it even. The ship's hull on the starboard side is now being primed temporarily.

STERN - New plating continues being paced onto the ship's stern. As the new plates go on, they are welded to the repaired framing done while the ship was still at San Jacinto Battleground State Historic Site.

GUN REPAIRS

Staff and volunteers are continuing work on both the 5" and 3" guns in the warehouse. New paint/primer has started to go on the first 5"/51 gun and we will post pictures in the future!

Thank you all for the support and,

Come on Texas!
jbeaman88
12:34p, 1/15/23
The photo above and this one show the new blister tank framing along with the beginnings of the new blister skin being installed.
BQ_90
8:02p, 1/15/23
Has anyone done the tour?
BrazosBendHorn
9:16a, 1/16/23
Allow me to share some pics from the dry dock tour I took yesterday.

p_bubel
11:12a, 1/16/23
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode