BQ_90
11:42a, 1/16/23
In reply to BrazosBendHorn
Cool, thanks for the pics
Breggy Popup
12:46a, 2/5/23
nortex97
5:20a, 2/5/23

Interesting video, not about the current work.
Breggy Popup
1:05p, 2/12/23
texrover91
9:58a, 2/13/23
Awesome pics. Thx for posting- I need to book a tour with the kids!
Marauder Blue 6
6:33p, 3/1/23
Baytown and Beaumont are out of consideration as a future berth. Looks like the next option is Galveston. Could it go back to it's original berth?
Jugstore Cowboy
9:40p, 3/1/23
In reply to Marauder Blue 6
I think, and one pretty good source also thinks, that Galveston is most likely. But there's a lot of money to make up. I imagine the leg would need to put a bond election up.
aggie_sprt
7:41a, 3/3/23
I think Galveston was always likely destination, it is just a question of where in Galveston. Seawolf Park, Pier 21, ??

Also probably trying to shore up more state funding for the move and development of the new home in the current legislature before making an annoucement.
nortex97
9:23a, 3/3/23
I've debated where to put this but I figure naval history fans…might appreciate it/see it best here;

Breggy Popup
6:55p, 3/3/23
Ag_of_08
7:00p, 3/3/23
I'm glad they've eliminated beaumont, that was the goofiest idea possible.

Unless something major has changed, the battlefield actively wanted to get rid of the ship. The sentiment when I was an undergrad was that it was a liability and detracted from the site. She will end up at a temporary dock before she'll go back there I believe.

I'm pretty sure the plan is to put her back in the strand area, the delay is likely just to hammer out the details. The biggest problem for putting the ship anywhere is dredging..... the more they have to dredge I'm, the more they'll have to dredge out in 20 years. We've also learned a lot, and burying these ships in the mud is a terrible idea
maca1028
12:17a, 3/4/23
I hate hearing the Baytown is officially out, it would've looked great sitting at the base of Fred Hartman as you drive into town. I get it though, there's absolutely nothing worth visiting in Baytown unless you're coming here for work.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
1:38p, 3/26/23
3/26/1945: Battleship Texas continues outstanding service

On this day in 1945, the battleship Texas supported the landings for the battle of Okinawa, the final great amphibious assault of World War II. The keel of the Texas, the second battleship to bear this name, was laid at Newport News, Virginia, on April 17, 1911. After serving in the Atlantic Fleet in the First World War, she supported the World War II landings in North Africa, Omaha Beach, southern France, and Iwo Jima. After more than thirty-four years of naval service she was retired and given to the state of Texas to be used as a memorial.
Breggy Popup
7:41p, 4/1/23
Breggy Popup
9:58p, 6/1/23
P.H. Dexippus
11:19a, 6/6/23
In reply to Ag_of_08
Ag_of_08 said:

I'm glad they've eliminated beaumont, that was the goofiest idea possible.

Unless something major has changed, the battlefield actively wanted to get rid of the ship. The sentiment when I was an undergrad was that it was a liability and detracted from the site. She will end up at a temporary dock before she'll go back there I believe.

I'm pretty sure the plan is to put her back in the strand area, the delay is likely just to hammer out the details. The biggest problem for putting the ship anywhere is dredging..... the more they have to dredge I'm, the more they'll have to dredge out in 20 years. We've also learned a lot, and burying these ships in the mud is a terrible idea
I realize prohibitively expensive, but I wish the plans for her were long-term dry display of some kind.
74OA
1:08p, 6/6/23
Not sure what the refurbishment includes.

No way Texas returns to its home berth under its own power, is there?
DrEvazanPhD
2:55p, 6/6/23
In reply to 74OA
74OA said:

Not sure what the refurbishment includes.

No way Texas returns to its home berth under its own power, is there?
No. I don't think they'll ever bring the engines online again, and the rudder is permanently rusted in place.
CanyonAg77
3:43p, 6/6/23
In reply to Ag_of_08
Not surprised that the park wants to get rid of her. It seems that park administrators can't stand for people to actually show up and enjoy a park.
DrEvazanPhD
5:25p, 6/6/23
In reply to CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77 said:

Not surprised that the park wants to get rid of her. It seems that park administrators can't stand for people to actually show up and enjoy a park.

I think the reality is that the battleground just doesn't get enough people to support the Texas. No one will accidentally wind up there, so there's no peripheral traffic from other sights and tourist destinations. The only people that really go are school groups and a few dedicated history buffs
BrazosBendHorn
9:11p, 6/6/23
In reply to DrEvazanPhD
DrEvazanPhD said:

CanyonAg77 said:

I think the reality is that the battleground just doesn't get enough people to support the Texas. No one will accidentally wind up there, so there's no peripheral traffic from other sights and tourist destinations. The only people that really go are school groups and a few dedicated history buffs

True. All of this.
74OA
1:29p, 6/7/23
BrazosBendHorn said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

CanyonAg77 said:

True. All of this.
Why not a tourist destination, then? Something on the coast (near Padre Island?) which is flooded with bodies in warm weather?
p_bubel
3:11p, 6/7/23
In reply to 74OA
74OA said:

BrazosBendHorn said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

CanyonAg77 said:

True. All of this.
Why not a tourist destination, then? Something on the coast (near Padre Island?) which is flooded with bodies in warm weather?
It's probably going to Galveston.
fka ftc
3:41p, 6/7/23
Always appreciate the updates on this thread (which also led me to donate to the cause - and received some of the coolest trinkets ever from a donation).

I would love to see a dry dock solution whether it be Galveston or seeming more appropriate Corpus. Trying to add in a trip down to Portsmouth when in London next month. They have the HMS Victory and HMS M 33 both in permanent / semi permanent dry dock. Sees like the right way to do it.

CanyonAg77
4:03p, 6/7/23
In reply to fka ftc
Agree with the dry dock. Would love to be able to tour the area below the water line
DrEvazanPhD
9:00p, 6/7/23
In reply to p_bubel
p_bubel said:

74OA said:

BrazosBendHorn said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

CanyonAg77 said:

True. All of this.
It's probably going to Galveston.

I think Galveston is where the battleship Texas foundation would prefer to be. I know corpus was considered as an option, but the worry is that two museum ships in the same area will attract the same number of visitors a year, so basically viewing/revenue will stay the same, but the maintenance costs double. Galveston would get plenty of incidental traffic from vacationers, folks going on cruises, and general tourism
LMCane
4:06a, 6/8/23
In reply to 74OA
74OA said:

BrazosBendHorn said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

CanyonAg77 said:

True. All of this.

the best possible plan would be to send her to Charleston and dock at Patriots Point next to the Yorktown

huge amount of tourists there - and how awesome would it be to have a battleship and fleet carrier side by side?
tree91
8:56a, 6/12/23
For those who have taken the tour, do you get to go on the ship, or is it just a walk around the hull? Is it worth a special trip to Galveston to do it?
ABATTBQ87
10:18a, 6/12/23
In reply to LMCane
LMCane said:

74OA said:

BrazosBendHorn said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

CanyonAg77 said:

True. All of this.

the best possible plan would be to send her to Charleston and dock at Patriots Point next to the Yorktown

huge amount of tourists there - and how awesome would it be to have a battleship and fleet carrier side by side?

Send her to Pearl Harbor and let her rest with the Missouri next to the Arizona
BQ_90
11:17a, 6/12/23
In reply to ABATTBQ87
i imagine that would be cost prohibitive to tow her that far.

and why would they want another battleship when they got the Missouri there already
fka ftc
11:31a, 6/12/23
In reply to BQ_90
Eazy peazy lemon squeezy:
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
CanyonAg77
12:33p, 6/12/23
In reply to BQ_90
Quote:

why would they want another battleship when they got the Missouri there already
Agree, unless you're going to sink her next to Arizona, she needs to be at a Texas port.

Hawaii has about 1.5 million population, and 10 million annual visitors, many of them from outside the US. You would think the latter group has little interest in Texas.

Texas has nearly twice as many people (20 million or more) living east of I-35, and over 70 million out-of-state visitors a year.
Breggy Popup
12:38p, 6/12/23
And why sink Texas at Pearl Harbor? She wasn't there for the attack. Makes zero sense.
CanyonAg77
12:40p, 6/12/23
In reply to Breggy Popup
Bregxit said:

And why sink Texas at Pearl Harbor? She wasn't there for the attack. Makes zero sense.
Nobody is going to sink her, I was just making a ridiculous comparison.
Breggy Popup
12:41p, 6/12/23
In reply to CanyonAg77
CanyonAg77 said:

Bregxit said:

Nobody is going to sink her, I was just making a ridiculous comparison.

It sounded like what 87 up above was suggesting.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings