Battleship Texas is leaving San Jacinto on August 31
27,217 Views | 181 Replies
ABATTBQ87
4:11p, 6/12/23
In reply to Breggy Popup
Bregxit said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Bregxit said:

And why sink Texas at Pearl Harbor? She wasn't there for the attack. Makes zero sense.
Nobody is going to sink her, I was just making a ridiculous comparison.

It sounded like what 87 up above was suggesting.
I didn't say anything about sinking her, I just said let her rest with the Missouri at Pearl Harbor.

BUT if we are going to scuttle her I say put her out of her misery off the coast of Point du Hoc
Breggy Popup
4:17p, 6/12/23
In reply to ABATTBQ87
ABATTBQ87 said:

Bregxit said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Bregxit said:

And why sink Texas at Pearl Harbor? She wasn't there for the attack. Makes zero sense.
Nobody is going to sink her, I was just making a ridiculous comparison.

It sounded like what 87 up above was suggesting.
I didn't say anything about sinking her, I just said let her rest with the Missouri at Pearl Harbor.

BUT if we are going to scuttle her I say put her out of her misery off the coast of Point du Hoc

My fault. I read "rest" and Arizona and went to sinking.

Mea culpa.
DrEvazanPhD
8:52p, 6/12/23
In reply to tree91
tree91 said:

For those who have taken the tour, do you get to go on the ship, or is it just a walk around the hull? Is it worth a special trip to Galveston to do it?

They take you around the hull, but not on the ship proper. It was 100% worth it
74OA
4:08a, 6/13/23
In reply to DrEvazanPhD
DrEvazanPhD said:

tree91 said:

For those who have taken the tour, do you get to go on the ship, or is it just a walk around the hull? Is it worth a special trip to Galveston to do it?

Was that because the ship was unsafe before the renovation? I'd think being allowed to actually go on board would be a major motivator for more people to visit.
Breggy Popup
8:32a, 6/13/23
In reply to 74OA
74OA said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

tree91 said:

Was that because the ship was unsafe before the renovation? I'd think being allowed to actually go on board would be a major motivator for more people to visit.

I assume you can't go on board because the entire ship is a construction site. Too much liability.
JABQ04
9:11a, 6/13/23
In reply to Breggy Popup
That is exactly it.
DrEvazanPhD
9:47a, 6/13/23
In reply to 74OA
74OA said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

tree91 said:

there will be plenty of time after the construction is done. Right now the outside is almost as fascinating. You get to see what was messed up, what they've fixed, what they will and won't fix, etc. There's still some teak wood from the original hull laid down in 1912 that's visible.
fka ftc
11:08a, 6/13/23
In reply to DrEvazanPhD
DrEvazanPhD said:

74OA said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

tree91 said:

there will be plenty of time after the construction is done. Right now the outside is almost as fascinating. You get to see what was messed up, what they've fixed, what they will and won't fix, etc. There's still some teak wood from the original hull laid down in 1912 that's visible.
Regarding going inside, I think most all the lower decks have been closed for 30 years or more. I remember back in the 1980's you used to be able to climb down essentially to the water INSIDE the ship - think it was resting in the muck during those days and no longer "floating".

One would imagine those lower decks have to be in extremely poor shape. Many "normal" size Texans these days, including myself, would have a hard time navigating those small areas if they are restored.

Nevertheless, would be awesome to have as much access a they can afford to restore. That ship is a unique treasure to the US and should be designated as a National Monument and appropriately funded (I assume it is not a national monument, happy if I am mistaken).
BQ_90
11:40a, 6/13/23
In reply to fka ftc
fka ftc said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

74OA said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

tree91 said:

Regarding going inside, I think most all the lower decks have been closed for 30 years or more. I remember back in the 1980's you used to be able to climb down essentially to the water INSIDE the ship - think it was resting in the muck during those days and no longer "floating".

One would imagine those lower decks have to be in extremely poor shape. Many "normal" size Texans these days, including myself, would have a hard time navigating those small areas if they are restored.

Nevertheless, would be awesome to have as much access a they can afford to restore. That ship is a unique treasure to the US and should be designated as a National Monument and appropriately funded (I assume it is not a national monument, happy if I am mistaken).
are any of the battleships on display a national monument outside of the USS Arizona? I bet not, most are owned by the State I would assume.
DrEvazanPhD
1:23p, 6/13/23
In reply to fka ftc
fka ftc said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

74OA said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

tree91 said:

That' true. The Texas was really the first major museum ship in the US, and almost everything we know as far as preserving these ships was done on the Texas first. When it was first moored at San Jacinto, they moved it in, filled up the fuel tanks with sea water, beached it, and left it, complete with the rudder at its final 13 degree angle. Now, after the renovation in the late 80's some parts of the lower decks were accessible, and they had even done a fairly substantial renovation on one of the engines. They offered some hard hat tours there for a while that took you to the engine room, gun turrets, etc., and i think the ultimate goal is to get those portions of the ship open for business.

I know the purpose of the dry dock trip now is not to fix the inside of the ship. Dry dock time is expensive, and the interior renovations can be done once the ship has been refloated. The main purpose now is hull renovation and the redesign/replacement of the torpedo blisters.
fka ftc
1:25p, 6/13/23
74OA
1:26p, 6/13/23
In reply to DrEvazanPhD
DrEvazanPhD said:

fka ftc said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

74OA said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

tree91 said:

That' true. The Texas was really the first major museum ship in the US, and almost everything we know as far as preserving these ships was done on the Texas first. When it was first moored at San Jacinto, they moved it in, filled up the fuel tanks with sea water, beached it, and left it, complete with the rudder at its final 13 degree angle. Now, after the renovation in the late 80's some parts of the lower decks were accessible, and they had even done a fairly substantial renovation on one of the engines. They offered some hard hat tours there for a while that took you to the engine room, gun turrets, etc., and i think the ultimate goal is to get those portions of the ship open for business.

I know the purpose of the dry dock trip now is not to fix the inside of the ship. Dry dock time is expensive, and the interior renovations can be done once the ship has been refloated. The main purpose now is hull renovation and the redesign/replacement of the torpedo blisters.
Thanks. I was enquiring about on-board tours after the renovation and return to home port, not while it's still in dry dock undergoing work. Sorry for the confusion.

Even if limited to just a deck walkaround and few above deck locations such as a gun turret and the bridge, it would still add a lot of value to a visit.
fka ftc
1:34p, 6/13/23
In reply to 74OA
Best way to ensure below deck tours is to help the effort by donating and spreading the word about donating!
DrEvazanPhD
3:07p, 6/13/23
In reply to 74OA
74OA said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

fka ftc said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

74OA said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

tree91 said:

Thanks. I was enquiring about on-board tours after the renovation and return to home port, not while it's still in dry dock undergoing work. Sorry for the confusion.

Even if limited to just a deck walkaround and few above deck locations such as a gun turret and the bridge, it would still add a lot of value to a visit.
I think that's the plan. The lower decks probably won't be accessible for quite some time, but that shouldn't stop it from being open for business once it's in a more permanent location
AggieMarkSA
8:00a, 6/28/23
I just went on my second tour of the ship weekend before last. Theyve made a lot progress.

Here is the starboard torpedo blister in january

And here is roughly the same view in June

AggieMarkSA
8:02a, 6/28/23
The stern of the ship was in pretty rough shape, as that's where the majority of the wake damage occurred while at San Jacinto.

before:

after:

AggieMarkSA
8:04a, 6/28/23
The port side of the ship got all kinds of warped and ruined on the tow in

it has since been replaced and the port now mirrors the starboard side. Sorry, didn't get a good picture of the after
AggieMarkSA
8:07a, 6/28/23
The port side of the stern was pretty rough too.

They have since removed the scaffolding and you can go under the ship

AggieMarkSA
8:10a, 6/28/23
At this tour, they told us that the final destination would indeed be Galveston, just a question of where. Apparently, a spot at the pier is still in play, or potentially somewhere at sea wolf park. Also, during the last legislative session, an additional 25 million was granted for further repairs, so they're going to put that to good use while still in dry dock. They're going to shore up the underside of the hull further and slap a few new coats of marine paint on, although the repaint done back in 89 is still holding up very well in the under-the-water portions of the ship.
tree91
9:31a, 6/28/23
In reply to AggieMarkSA
Thanks for the new pics! Just this morning, I signed up for a tour on 7/23. Looking forward to seeing her (and maybe some other TexAgers)!
drmwvr
12:59a, 7/15/23
Some pics from yesterday. Blister removal looks to be making good progress!

Ag_of_08
3:18a, 7/16/23
In reply to AggieMarkSA
Travis and the other crew have been pretty adamant that seawolf is not practical from a dredging point, a preservation point, or accessibility by car. It's just not realistic, even though it would be the most impressive spot.
DrEvazanPhD
1:49p, 7/17/23
In reply to Ag_of_08
Ag_of_08 said:

Travis and the other crew have been pretty adamant that seawall is not practical from a dredging point, a preservation point, or accessibility by car. It's just not realistic, even though it would be the most impressive spot.
Was the seawall ever an option?
p_bubel
2:59p, 7/17/23
In reply to DrEvazanPhD
DrEvazanPhD said:

Ag_of_08 said:

Travis and the other crew have been pretty adamant that seawall is not practical from a dredging point, a preservation point, or accessibility by car. It's just not realistic, even though it would be the most impressive spot.

I'm pretty sure they meant Sea Wolf .
DrEvazanPhD
4:01p, 7/17/23
In reply to p_bubel
p_bubel said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

Ag_of_08 said:

I'm pretty sure they meant Sea Wolf .
ohhh. That makes more sense.
Ag_of_08
8:56a, 7/19/23
In reply to p_bubel
Correct, an autocorrection from my crappy phone.
p_bubel
7:06p, 8/26/23
Looks like it's going to 2100 Harborside Dr in Galveston from what I just saw.
p_bubel
10:39a, 8/27/23
https://www.galvnews.com/news/final-agreements-dead-ahead-for-uss-texas-at-pier-21/article_de9877e7-acd3-553a-ae88-f2ef3f410e70.html
aalan94
2:19p, 8/28/23
Quote:

Absorbs the blast from the torpedo without damaging the integrity of the hull. Usually contained bunker oil or sea water.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be better if the torpedo blister was empty? It seems if it had any kind of fluid, the pressure of the blast could be transferred to the hull, but if it were empty, it would not do so, since air compresses better than water.
p_bubel
6:19p, 8/28/23
Quote:

Essentially, the bulge is a compartmentalized, below the waterline sponson isolated from the ship's internal volume. It is part air-filled, and part free-flooding. In theory, a torpedo strike will rupture and flood the bulge's outer air-filled component while the inner water-filled part dissipates the shock and absorbs explosive fragments, leaving the ship's main hull structurally intact. Transverse bulkheads within the bulge limit flooding to the damaged area of the structure.

nortex97
12:29p, 8/30/23
In reply to p_bubel
Whew, for half a second I envisioned it going to pier 121 on lake Lewisville and was curious how the heck it would make the drive.
LMCane
1:57p, 8/30/23
In reply to BQ_90
BQ_90 said:

fka ftc said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

74OA said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

tree91 said:

are any of the battleships on display a national monument outside of the USS Arizona? I bet not, most are owned by the State I would assume.

Pretty sure when I was on the North Carolina you could walk around inside a bit. at least around the superstructure bridge.

the aircraft carrier at Patriots Point you definitely walk around in the hangars and crew areas.
dcbowers
8:39a, 9/4/23
In reply to LMCane
LMCane said:

BQ_90 said:

fka ftc said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

74OA said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

tree91 said:

Pretty sure when I was on the North Carolina you could walk around inside a bit. at least around the superstructure bridge.

the aircraft carrier at Patriots Point you definitely walk around in the hangars and crew areas.

The USS Alabama is on display in Mobile Bay, just off of I-10. I have yet to stop, because I've been in a hurry to get to Florida. Some day.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BillYeoman
3:27p, 9/4/23
In reply to dcbowers
dcbowers said:

LMCane said:

BQ_90 said:

fka ftc said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

74OA said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

tree91 said:

The USS Alabama is on display in Mobile Bay, just off of I-10. I have yet to stop, because I've been in a hurry to get to Florida. Some day.

When I was in 6th grade my Boy Scout had a sleep over on the USS Alabama. We had the whole ship to ourselves that night. It was great
AggieMarkSA
10:59a, 9/12/23
Looks like Texas is getting her permanent home

https://www.galvnews.com/news/final-agreements-dead-ahead-for-uss-texas-at-pier-21/article_de9877e7-acd3-553a-ae88-f2ef3f410e70.html
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 4 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings