My Book is on Amazon!

7,174 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Antoninus
Agthatbuilds
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Makes sense.

In high school, I had a job working for a lawyer. I was cleaning up the landscaping at his office where there was a historical marker detailing this was the site of the "red house," which was where part of the battle of nacogdoches took place.

Ever since then, I've been keenly interested in the history of nacogdoches. I'd never heard of a 300 person massacre that happened in nac, clearly because one never took place.

Thanks for your help
aalan94
AG
And just because there's a historical marker doesn't mean it's good history. I've seen a few whoppers that made it through, but the state is generally good about proofing the history these days. And ignorance is kind of a defense. TSHA put something out recently about the "first Germans in Texas" in the 1830s. And here I am looking at the Bexar archives showing Germans living in Texas in the first decade of the 1800s. Turns out everyone else is going off old secondary sources written before the Bexar archives was translated.
Leggo My Elko
AG
Having listened to Brandon Seales "New History of Old San Antonio" podcast, I was most blown away by what happened in San Antonio in the days and months after The Battle of Medina.

Based on your research, was is really like a heart of darkness type grizzly scene? Heads on posts, body parts hanging in the square, rape, starvation, daily public executions ect.

Since listening to the podcast, anytime I'm downtown SA near the square I can't help but imagine and think about what it must have been like in the late summer and fall of 1813.
PabloSerna
AG
Was driving through Old Pleasanton Rd. on my way back from south Texas last week. Went right to the areas on the map from "The Battle of Medina" podcast. Very surreal. I then ended up right near the old Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church and walked around the cemetery. We are missing a very important event in Texas History. Maybe one day it will get its proper recognition.

On a side note, I have started work at the Texas Historical Commission working as an architect with the Historic Sites Division. Big plans on the horizon ahead of our 200th anniversary!

spud1910
AG
Are we still expecting February shipment?
Antoninus
I think that some mod with nothing better to do actually just deleted your thread from the politics board. JFC, it was not hurting a thing and included several interesting lines of discussion regarding the political history covered in your book.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.