MASTERS OF THE AIR Official Trailer (2024)
15,725 Views | 152 Replies
ChipFTAC01
2:13p, 2/23/24
In reply to ABATTBQ87
ABATTBQ87 said:

Rabid Cougar said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

Goodness, being a POW was not a walk on the park
BUT Hogan always got the prettiest fraulines!

I'd never heard the original. Colter Wall has a great cover.
Rabid Cougar
6:20p, 2/25/24
How did the Germans have all the POW's personal information even before they were interrogated???
ABATTBQ87
7:49p, 2/25/24
In reply to Rabid Cougar
Rabid Cougar said:

How did the Germans have all the POW's personal information even before they were interrogated???

This is how we got info from Germans

Agthatbuilds
8:16p, 2/25/24
In reply to Rabid Cougar
Don't know but I've read so many accounts of Germans having amazing amounts and depth of info on American POWs.

It's crazy. Listening now to things our fathers saw and one story is one guy knew where every mission was going despite the high secrecy because the German radio propaganda would tell them the day before their mission.
jwoodmd
9:09p, 2/25/24
In reply to Rabid Cougar
Rabid Cougar said:

Read this book from 1960.

https://www.amazon.com/Kriegie-Prisoner-Kenneth-W-Simmons/dp/B0007FZX5U

Yes, the Germans had spies in the US and England, but it goes into the interrogations in great detail. The interrogators were able to always get some info from every prisoner - usually by getting the prisoner to let their guard down by small talk and the prisoner not realizing they were giving any info, convinced them the info wasn't of any military info, etc.

Also, the isolation in the beginning phase made them scared and they were "comforted" by small talk. It's like with the police today, they know people inherently like to talk.
Rabid Cougar
12:08p, 2/26/24
The real John Egan

Tried to post photos but my work firewall doesn't like them.
ABATTBQ87
3:22p, 2/26/24
In reply to Rabid Cougar
Rabid Cougar said:

The real John Egan

Tried to post photos but my work firewall doesn't like them.

CS78
8:27p, 2/26/24
Can most of this series be watched with an 11yo that is into history? So many movies id like for us to watch but mom keeps vetoing.
Agthatbuilds
8:29p, 2/26/24
In reply to CS78
Only one episode has nudity/sex so far

The rest have some drinking, which my kid already sees me do, cussing, which my kid already hears from me sometimes, and some pretty graphic blood/guts.

I think it historically accurate. Not raunchy.
ABATTBQ87
7:42a, 3/1/24
Today's episode covers Stalag 3, bombing raids over Berlin and the affect on morale, and introduction of the P51 Mustang
JABQ04
8:33a, 3/1/24
In reply to CS78
I'm watching with my 12y/o. I check the rating the night prior and screen them if I have to. Some sexual stuff this episode. I'll probably fast forward through it.
HarleySpoon
4:38p, 3/1/24
In reply to Rabid Cougar
Rabid Cougar said:

To this day it is an enigma.
ABATTBQ87
6:37p, 3/1/24
In reply to HarleySpoon
HarleySpoon said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Funny, but enigma wasn't used for POW information
HarleySpoon
9:14a, 3/3/24
In reply to ABATTBQ87
ABATTBQ87 said:

HarleySpoon said:

Rabid Cougar said:

Funny, but enigma wasn't used for POW information

You're kidding?
ABATTBQ87
10:00a, 3/6/24
80 years ago today, the 100th Bomb Group flew mission #81 to Berlin. 35 aircraft from the group began their departure from Thorpe Abbotts starting at 0745. By 1200 hours the A Group and B Group were under heavy fighter attack from FW-190s and ME-109s. Most of the high squadron was shot down and the lead ship was knocked out of formation. Over Berlin, the primary target was not located, and bombs were away at 1323 hours on a target of opportunity a factory district near Berlin. The costs were high, and 15 aircraft from the group did not return to Thorpe Abbotts that afternoon. We will never forget the 59 airmen who gave the ultimate sacrifice on March 6, 1944.
#100thbombgroup #mastersoftheair
ABATTBQ87
6:21p, 3/7/24
Joe W Bradford TAMC 1939
Army Air Forces
Specialty: Tail Gunner
Unit/Group: 91st Bomber Group, Heavy, 322nd Bomber Squadron
Casualty Type: Died as a Prisoner of War under German control

After the first sweep by enemy fighters, the plane was hit in the left wing and peeled off to the left, apparently under control but out of view. No parachutes were observed.

Staff Sergeant Bradford graduated from Arlington High School, North Texas Agricultural College, and the A&M College of Texas (now Texas A&M University) as a member of the Class of 1939 majoring in Agricultural Education. He taught in the Gatesville public schools before entering the service.

Bradford received gunnery training at Tyndall Field in Florida. He had completed 19 missions when he was reported missing over Germany on June 21, 1944. The family received notification that he was a prisoner on July 17th and had died on July 22, 1944.
aggiedata
8:43a, 3/8/24

wangus12
8:54a, 3/8/24
In reply to Agthatbuilds
Agthatbuilds said:

Don't know but I've read so many accounts of Germans having amazing amounts and depth of info on American POWs.

It's crazy. Listening now to things our fathers saw and one story is one guy knew where every mission was going despite the high secrecy because the German radio propaganda would tell them the day before their mission.

How do you like those books. I only recent saw them and see the author has published quite a few. Are they any good?
Agthatbuilds
9:00a, 3/8/24
In reply to wangus12
Yeah, I like them. They are a collection of interviews put together by a school teacher in New York state. Pretty good collection of individual stories and perspectives from the war.

There's a common theme that the war was fought by normal kids doing extraordinary actions.

I'm also shocked at the mental and knowledge acumen of the boys of that time.
ABATTBQ87
9:52a, 3/8/24
Just watched episode 8

I have to admit I have a sense of pride watching this show as I wonder if I would be brave enough to climb into a B17, or P51, or jump from a C47 into combat.

I'm in awe of these men and what they experienced
CT'97
12:47p, 3/10/24
In reply to ABATTBQ87
ABATTBQ87 said:

Just watched episode 8

I have to admit I have a sense of pride watching this show as I wonder if I would be brave enough to climb into a B17, or P51, or jump from a C47 into combat.

I had the pleasure of sitting and talking with some D-Day veterans about 12 years ago and shared very similar comments with them. I was with a group of combat wounded Iraq and Afghanistan vets and the D-Day veterans all said they couldn't believe we went out on missions without knowing where the enemy was or who they were. They all said they would much rather face what they faced than to not know. So I think familiarity brings comfort even in the face of extreme danger.
Rabid Cougar
8:20a, 3/11/24
In reply to ABATTBQ87
ABATTBQ87 said:

Just watched episode 8

Try driving down the only road in and out of a mountain valley full of bad guys that you know hasn't been swept of IEDs in 5 days.

There are many young men today with very similar experiences.
ABATTBQ87
11:27a, 3/14/24
Gunny456
2:30p, 3/14/24
In reply to ABATTBQ87
Am a life member of the CAF. Had the privilege to have flown in Texas Raiders and Sentimental Journey and got to fly with some of the guys that flew them in WWII years back. It was surreal to be in the plane with them…. Hearing and sharing their stories.
My dad was a B-25 crew chief in Guam and New Guinea and he shared some sobering stories.
The amazing thing to me is they would survive a mission and knew that had to do 25 more of them and they had the guts to keep getting in them day after day.
Not only did they have the danger of fighters and flak but they had the dangerous cold temps, weather, and common mechanical failures to bring them down. In addition to navigational errors.
My dad's brother was in the European theater in the 3rd Army… fought in Bastogne. He said my dad and the other AAC guys were nuts going up in those planes and said he would much rather have his feet on the ground and have German snipers, land mines, and tanks trying to kill him than fly in planes that always had to come to the ground one way or the other!
Gunny456
2:32p, 3/14/24
In reply to Rabid Cougar
True for sure. But those great guys are on the ground at least.
BQ_90
7:49p, 3/14/24
Why would they burn their barracks only then to sleep on the ground in tents?
ABATTBQ87
8:57p, 3/14/24
A subtle tip of the to 12 o clock high toby jug!!

jwoodmd
9:26p, 3/14/24
They were really lazy and cheap on their CGI. In 1945 those B-17s would have been mostly G models with the chin turret but none had them, They at least moved to the unpainted aluminum which was phased in fully by then.
flashplayer
9:41p, 3/14/24
In reply to BQ_90
BQ_90 said:

Why would they burn their barracks only then to sleep on the ground in tents?

My lazy guess is they knew most of the men would be evacuated soon and they didn't want to leave behind anything for the Germans to use, especially after finding the concentration camps.
mandevilleag
10:33p, 3/14/24
Here's an article my aunt Cynthia wrote about my uncle Art (my dad's brother). He was a navigator on B-17s in Europe. The articles titled War through Dad's Eyes. My aunt Cynthia is still living and is now 101. Still has a pretty sharp mind.

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth312940/m1/9/
ABATTBQ87
8:11a, 3/15/24
In reply to jwoodmd
jwoodmd said:

They were really lazy and cheap on their CGI. In 1945 those B-17s would have been mostly G models with the chin turret but none had them, They at least moved to the unpainted aluminum which was phased in fully by then.

In February 1944, both the 8th and 15th Air Force were receiving B-17 bombers in an unpainted state to mitigate production costs, reduce bomber weight, and speed up the delivery process.

Comparing Painted Vs Unpainted B-17s
Flight tests in March 1944 tried to determine the performance differences between a painted and unpainted B-17G bomber.

Here's what they found:

At 24,900 ft, the painted B-17 flew 2 to 4 mph faster than the unpainted B-17 at the same engine power.
The same speed increase was also consistent for the tested altitude of 5,100 ft.

The study concludes with the painted B-17 being 2.5 to 4.5 miles faster than an unpainted B-17.

An unpainted B-17 will need to increase its engine power by 3% to maintain the same air speed of a painted B-17. However, this also meant it would consume about 3% more fuel than a painted one.

A painted B-17 will have a 90-mile range advantage when traveling at formation speeds.

80 gallons of fuel equates to 490 lbs of more fuel to meet the range requirements of a painted B-17.

https://worldwarwings.com/b17-paint-importance/
BQ_90
8:36a, 3/15/24
Rabid Cougar
9:46a, 3/15/24
In reply to BQ_90
BQ_90 said:

That's crazy. Never would have thought that.
BQ78
12:04p, 3/15/24
In reply to Rabid Cougar
Yes, that was counterintuitive to what you would expect.

So if they put extra coats of paint on to further reduce the rivet drag, would there have come a point where the weight of the paint became prohibitive?

Of course the B-29 sunk rivets solved the problem and saved on the cost of painting.
Rabid Cougar
1:33p, 3/15/24
In reply to BQ78
BQ78 said:

Of course the B-29 sunk rivets solved the problem and saved on the cost of painting.
Possibly the same for the bare metal fighters. (P-51s and P-47).

Interestingly no other air force abandoned paint during the war.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 4 of 5
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings