Give me a mind-blowing history fact
79,190 Views | 710 Replies
agrams
12:09a, 1/5/24
also, in Belgium they still have what they refer to as the 'iron harvest' when farmers expose unexploded WWI munitons each year. They still find over 150 tons each year.

Reference article:
https://theworld.org/stories/2023-08-04/iron-harvest-belgian-team-unearths-unexploded-ammunition-wwi
Sapper Redux
12:14a, 1/5/24
In reply to agrams
agrams said:

7 of 8 German soldiers who died in WWII died on the eastern front vs Russia.

Its amazing how many casualties other countries experienced as compared to the united states.

we had less than 1/3 of 1% killed per our 1939 population. (about 1 death per 312 people). Poland lost 1 in 6 of their population (mainly civilians).

The American war production capacity may have been the machine behind victory, but Russia was the meat grinder that chewed up most of Germany's soldiers.

Poland got off easy compared to countries like Belarus (1/4 of the population gone including the educated and virtually every Jew in the country). Timothy Synder's Bloodlands is incredible reading but holy **** is it dark. I think I'd rather deal with the Plague than be a civilian in Eastern Europe during World War II.
agrams
9:04a, 1/5/24
In reply to Sapper Redux
yeah, my memory was telling me Romania was one of the worst at like 25%, but the wiki article table listed poland as the worst. I just didn't have time to dig into it too much.
ja86
9:17a, 1/5/24
In reply to agrams
agrams said:

also, in Belgium they still have what they refer to as the 'iron harvest' when farmers expose unexploded WWI munitons each year. They still find over 150 tons each year.

Reference article:
https://theworld.org/stories/2023-08-04/iron-harvest-belgian-team-unearths-unexploded-ammunition-wwi
France too. It is pretty wild to drive around Flanders or French farmlands and seeing small piles of unexploded ordinance on the side of the roads plowed up during the spring planting season.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
9:46a, 1/5/24
There were actually 5 jobs more dangerous to do in WWII than infantryman:

1. Ball turret gunners
2. Heck, just being in an airplane
3. Merchant mariners
4. Submariners
5. Field telephone layers and radio teams

https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/5-world-war-ii-jobs-that-were-more-dangerous-than-being-an-infantryman/
#FJB
JABQ04
9:57a, 1/5/24
In reply to Cinco Ranch Aggie
1. Nope
2. Nope
3. Nope
4. Hell No
5. Not if I could avoid it

I don't like the ocean or heights.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
10:17a, 1/5/24
In reply to JABQ04
Agree on 4 of those, especially the submarine. But I'd have been in the Army Air Corps if I could have made it in. Still, I think I'd rather have been in any other type of aircraft than a bomber. No way in hell would I have wanted to be in the ball turret, though, even though that may have been my assignment given that I was probably about the right physical size at that age.
#FJB
JABQ04
10:47a, 1/5/24
With Cinco Ranch Aggie's post reminds me of another fact.

The US suffered more deaths in the air war over Europe than the USMC did in the Pacific
USAFAg
11:01a, 1/5/24
In reply to JABQ04
JABQ04 said:

With Cinco Ranch Aggie's post reminds me of another fact.

The US suffered more deaths in the air war over Europe than the USMC did in the Pacific

Might be mistaken, but understand that the Eighth Air Force alone lost more KIA and if losses from all causes is used, the USAAF lost more personnel than the USMC and USN combined.

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
agrams
11:41a, 1/5/24
the navy had more killed in action at okinawa than the army or Marines.
p_bubel
12:20p, 1/5/24

Between 1910 to 1911, there were more than 70 silent films made in San Antonio. Rivaling Los Angeles.
Link

Related:

The first Oscar Award went to the silent movie Wings, which was filmed and Premiered in San Antonio in 1927.

p_bubel
12:33p, 1/5/24
The Aztec Theater in San Antonio (opened in 1926) was designed by the firm Meyer and Holler, which opened another and more famous and fanciful therater, Grauman's Chinese Theater, a year later.

It's an amazing concert venue if you ever get the opportunity to see a show there.
BrazosBendHorn
12:51p, 1/5/24
In reply to Rabid Cougar
Rabid Cougar said:

When the Iowa Class Battleships fire a full broadside they DO NOT move sideways…. Not even a half inch…
At the other end of the battleship stability spectrum was the Vasa, a Swedish warship that sank in 1628, 20 minutes into its maiden voyage, scarcely a nautical mile from shore in Stockholm Harbor. The culprit was a gust of wind that hit it broadside. That, and it was ridiculously unstable. The gun deck was designed by someone who didn't have experience building such a heavily armed ship. It was designed to carry 36 guns, and had nearly twice that number when it set sail. And there was a lot of ornate woodwork, which was very pretty to look at but also contributed to the ship being fatally top-heavy.

On the plus side, it's the only preserved 17th-century ship in the world, thanks to sinking close to shore in water that's very cold and oxygen-poor.
YokelRidesAgain
6:59p, 1/5/24
In reply to BrazosBendHorn
BrazosBendHorn said:

At the other end of the battleship stability spectrum was the Vasa, a Swedish warship that sank in 1628,
One of the coolest single attraction museums in the world!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
amg405
8:24a, 1/6/24
Awesome thread here everyone, thank you! Let's keep it going!!
gggmann
10:00a, 1/6/24
In reply to ja86
ja86 said:

agrams said:

Reference article:
France too. It is pretty wild to drive around Flanders or French farmlands and seeing small piles of unexploded ordinance on the side of the roads plowed up during the spring planting season.
There are still red zones in France from WWI where the land is too poisoned or contaminated for use:

p_bubel
11:46a, 1/6/24
In reply to p_bubel
p_bubel said:

The Aztec Theater in San Antonio (opened in 1926) was designed by the firm Meyer and Holler, which opened another more famous and fanciful therater, Grauman's Chinese Theater, a year later.

It's an amazing concert venue if you ever get the opportunity to see a show there.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
12:39p, 1/6/24
In 1813, a feud between Andrew Jackson and the Benton brothers led to a violent clash in Nashville. Guns and knives were pulled, and both Jackson and Thomas Hart Benton were wounded. The story goes that one of the bullets travelled into the upstairs room of a hotel where a baby named John Fremont was staying with his young parents.

Fremont would later go on elope with TH Benton's daughter and she would be the force behind him becoming a celebrity. The story sounds too good to be true though.

Jackson and Benton wouldn't see each other again until Jackson was elected to the U.S. Senate and his seat was directly next to Benton's. The tension was eventually dispersed with jokes.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
AgRyan04
2:46p, 1/6/24
Aaron Burr's wife used Alexander Hamilton Jr. as her divorce attorney.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
agrams
2:49p, 1/6/24
in 1860, the United States had a bigger rail network than the rest of the world combined.
lb sand
7:06p, 1/6/24
Rudolf Diesel, inventor of the Diesel engine, faked his own suicide with the help of Winston Churchill and British secret service to defect from imperial Germany to Great Britain. He brought his expertise to help Britain catch up in Diesel technology, especially for submarines.
agrams
7:45p, 1/6/24
probably the boldest move i can think of: Einstein wanted a divorce from his wife and promised in 1918 the winnings from his noble prize.. which he didn't win until 1921
Belton Ag
7:59p, 1/6/24
In reply to lb sand
lb sand said:

Rudolf Diesel, inventor of the Diesel engine, faked his own suicide with the help of Winston Churchill and British secret service to defect from imperial Germany to Great Britain. He brought his expertise to help Britain catch up in Diesel technology, especially for submarines.

Is this a historical fact or speculation?
whoop1995
9:37p, 1/6/24
In reply to lb sand
lb sand said:

Wait a minute - he disappeared in 1913 and was 55 years old then. The history channel says his body was recovered 11 days later. He was on his way to help set up a plant in England to help the English navy according to the article.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/inventor-rudolf-diesel-vanishes

Now if this body ain't his body but was made to look like his body then this might be where operation mincemeat got it's idea from years later in ww2.
I collect ticket stubs! looking for a 1944 orange bowl and 1981 independence bowl ticket stub as well as Aggie vs tu stubs - 1926 and below, 1935-1937, 1939-1944, 1946-1948, 1950-1951, 1953, 1956-1957, 1959, 1960, 1963-1966, 1969-1970, 1972-1974, 1980-1981, 1983-1984, 1990, 2004, 2008, 2010
lb sand
9:25a, 1/7/24
Is it a fact I can prove in court? No.
But this guy makes a convincing argument.
Also mentioned operation mincemeat.
In 1913 the body was not recovered. Only a few identifiable, personal belongings. They left left "the body" in the sea. He also speculates that there was no body. All just part of the story.

https://www.amazon.com/Mysterious-Case-Rudolf-Diesel-Deception/dp/1982169907?nodl=1&dplnkId=6eefb555-78a5-4a6b-bbba-9efb0e79001a
ReloadAg
6:48p, 1/7/24
In reply to BrazosBendHorn
I've been to this museum and it's incredible!
Rongagin71
9:42p, 1/7/24
Cromwell's son was known as "Hickory Dick" and
he may have been the object of Hickory, Dickory, Dock.

BonfireNerd04
8:50a, 1/8/24
In reply to p_bubel
p_bubel said:

Violet Jessop was a stewardess on the RMS Olympic when it collided with the warship Hawke in 1911 transferred to the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking. She then went on to work on the HMHS Britannic which wound up striking a mine in1916 and sank. Which she also survived.
Violet Jessop gets all the attention, but IMHO the coal stoker Arthur John Priest deserves more credit for surviving the same three incidents plus:

• RMS Asturias having a (non-fatal) collision on her maiden voyage in 1908.
  • HMS Alcantara being sunk in combat in 1916.
  • SS Donegal being sunk by a torpedo in 1917.

Priest retired for working at sea after the Donegal incident. It's not clear how he made a living after that, but I'd like to think that shipping companies paid him to stay away.
BonfireNerd04
8:54a, 1/8/24
In reply to Agthatbuilds
Agthatbuilds said:

Mel blanc, the voice of bugs bunny and nearly every other Warner Brothers cartoon was nearly killed in a car crash but survived though he was left in a coma.

After 21 days, the doctor came in and asked how bugs bunny was doing and blanc responded as bugs bunny. They tried tweedy bird and he respond as tweedy bird.

Blanc went on to recover
And when Blanc finally did die in 1989, he had "THAT'S ALL FOLKS" carved on his gravestone.
1990Hullaballoo
4:42p, 1/8/24
In reply to Cen-Tex
Cen-Tex beat me to it.

Still the largest school related disaster?

New London School Explosion

YokelRidesAgain
4:50p, 1/8/24
In reply to BonfireNerd04
BonfireNerd04 said:

And when Blanc finally did die in 1989, he had "THAT'S ALL FOLKS" carved on his gravestone.
Merv Griffin's tombstone reads: I will not be right back after this message.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Cen-Tex
5:05p, 1/8/24
Baby Jessica is now 37 yrs old. In 1987, she was only 18 months old when she fell into a well at her aunt's home in Midland, Tx
p_bubel
9:29p, 1/8/24
"I am a Pole."

Piorun, a British built destroyer manned by Poles, took part, along with the British destroyers, in the search for Bismarck (she was the first of the destroyers to spot the German ship). She joined in the shadowing of and torpedo attacks on the German battleship the night before Bismarck was sunk. Arriving first on the scene with the British Tribal-class destroyer Maori, Piorun charged at Bismarck by herself, while Maori manoeuvred for position to fire torpedoes. Alone, Piorun exchanged fire with Bismarck for an hour, with neither side scoring any hitsalthough after the third salvo, Bismarck missed by only 20 yards (18 m), causing Pawski to pull away.

According to one report Pawski transmitted the message "I am a Pole" before commencing fire on Bismarck.

TheGreatEscape
9:34p, 1/8/24
Presbyterians were the leaders of the American Revolution. Formed the basis for our constitutional republic based upon Presbyterian church government and a Princeton professor.
50 out of 55 of the men who wrote the Constitution were all orthodox Trinitarian Christians.
Presbyterians and Reformed Anglicans worked both sides here and across the pond.
p_bubel
10:19p, 1/8/24
(Sorry, most stuff I know is San Antonio based)

The original plan was to pave over the San Antonio River downtown after a disastrous flood in 1921. (Most of y'all probably know this) Instead they installed gates along the horseshoe bend and cut a new channel to isolate downtown from heavy rains. Now, there's a 24' tall tunnel running 3 miles underneath downtown to bypass all this.

Flooding is the reason there is a dam along Hwy 281 just north of downtown with no regular water behind it. Downtown is in a valley.

A large part of San Antonio's history is water management. Keeping it out, trying to get more of it and dealing with geography.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 4 of 21
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings