Help Identifying Antique

1,565 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by 74OA
nickescott85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello,

I'm hoping some history buffs can tell me what this is. My mother in law bought this at an estate sale because she thought it was Aggie related. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

USAFAg
AG

Anything else you can tell us about this item? Is the little glass magnifying? Does anything move (or is supposed to move)? Looks like some sort of residue in the various openings...any idea?

First guess is that it's a makeup kit. Rouge in the big compartment, lip color in the little one and the glass circle is a cover for it so the rouge doesn't mix with it.

Image above may be a silversmiths stamp or a "sweetheart" initials thing.

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
nickescott85
AG
My wife thought it was a woman's compact as you were suggesting. I know nothing else about it.

I am by no means an Aggie history buff but I have not seen the name "College of Texas State A&M" before so I wasn't sure if this was even Aggie related. The fact that it could some sort of makeup carrier and that it is older doesn't jive with me since women didn't attend until 1963. This could be older than that or it could be from the 80s who knows.
USAFAg
AG
nickescott85 said:

My wife thought it was a woman's compact as you were suggesting. I know nothing else about it.

I am by no means an Aggie history buff but I have not seen the name "College of Texas State A&M" before so I wasn't sure if this was even Aggie related. The fact that it could some sort of makeup carrier and that it is older doesn't jive with me since women didn't attend until 1963. This could be older than that or it could be from the 80s who knows.
Looking at the crest, I believe it probably should be read as "STATE A&M COLLEGE OF TEXAS" given the star between the TEXAS * STATE.

Lots of weird names for A&M from custom makers in the "olden days".

Don't necessarily think that it was for a woman at A&M but perhaps a sweetheart of an Aggie of the time.

Ag_07
AG
I know nothing about antiques or anything of the like but my first impression was it looks like a pocket watch housing/case. Like the large opening was the main display and the smaller opening was the date or second dial.

Just my best guess.
USAFAg
USAFAg
AG
https://www.ebay.com/itm/394007326808

The more I look at it, the more I am persuaded that it is a antique compact with pieces missing.

OldArmy71
AG
That is the correct reading: STATE A&M COLLEGE OF TEXAS
Rabid Cougar
AG
Very cool whatever it is.
chick79
AG
Snuff box? Women actually snorted the stuff back in the day.
74OA
AG
Looks made to perhaps hang with other necessaries from a lady's waist chatelaine.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.