80th anniversary of the 'Great Escape' from Nazi German POW camp marked in Poland

1,114 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by oragator
ABATTBQ87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
March 25, 2024

WARSAW, Poland (AP) Observances were held in Poland on Sunday to mark the 80th anniversary of the "Great Escape," an ingenious act of defiance during World War II in which 76 prisoners of war tunneled out of a German prisoner-of-war camp into a snowy forest.

British soldiers carried photos of pilots murdered on Hitler's orders at a ceremony that was also attended by the British ambassador to Poland and marked the culmination of observances that lasted all weekend.

During World War II, the Nazi POW camp held captured Allied air force personnel, including British, American and Polish soldiers among others, and British airmen led the escape effort. At the time the area was part of Germany but now lies in western Poland.

https://apnews.com/article/poland-wwii-great-escape-anniversary-fb7d7dd1388c9e5c27b13ca1d7b176f2
GasAg90
Fun fact for you and others. Three Doolittle Raiders ended up on Stulag Luft 3. Greening, Jones, Griffin.
Jabin
We lived for a while in the 60s in Abilene. I had a friend there whose dad was in Stalag Luft III. He had helped dig tunnels but did not participate in the escape itself, fortunately for him and his future descendants (including my friend).
BQ_90
AG
GasAg90 said:

Fun fact for you and others. Three Doolittle Raiders ended up on Stulag Luft 3. Greening, Jones, Griffin.
backstory?
ABATTBQ87
AG
GasAg90 said:

Greening was in Stalag 1: After his leave, he reported to McCord Field where Ross volunteered to go with Brig General DOOLITTLE to North Africa for Operation Torch and fly Martin Maurader B-26 Bombers. As a Group Commander, Greening flew 27 missions before he was shot down over Mt. Vesuvius, Italy. He was captured by the Germans. Ross escaped and was recaptured. Ross spent the rest of the war in Stalag Luft 1 in Barth, Germany.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/41499308/charles_ross-greening
ABATTBQ87
AG
GasAg90 said:

Jones was @ Stalag III: On September 1942, Jones was assigned to the new 319th Bombardment Group, preparing for combat in North Africa. He was assigned to develop low-level bombing tactics and techniques due to his experience with the Doolittle project and his belief in low-level bombing tactics.

On 4 December 1942, he was shot down over Bizerte, North Africa, and spent two and a half years as a prisoner of war in Stalag Luft III. As a result of his constant agitation and harassment of the enemy, he was selected for the "escape committee" by fellow prisoners. The committee reviewed escape plans and directed escapes Jones led the digging team on tunnel "Harry" used in the Great Escape, chronicled in Paul Brickhill's autobiographical book, and portrayed in the 1963 movie The Great Escape. Jones was commended for leadership among his fellow prisoners
oragator
Friend of mine's father was one of the prisoners there. In the movie, his trombone is the top of the liquor still.
Another lost opportunity for me to have heard some amazing stories, though had I asked he might not have wanted to discuss it. Crazy though, we met them in Germany while he was going back to his old sites there, who knows what he saw on that trip.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.