Sam Mihara: A Detailed Look at Japanese-American Internment Camps

3,460 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Jabin
TexAgs Sponsors
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
From TexAgs Sponsor, George Bush Presidential Library & Museum:

Sam Mihara: A Detailed Look at Japanese-American Internment Camps
Date: May 3, 2024
Times: 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.
Hosted By: George Bush Presidential Library & Museum's Education Department
Location: Malek Theater, George Bush Presidential Library & Museum

Join us for two intimate discussions with Japanese Internment Camp survivor Sam Mihara as he shares a detailed look at life in an Japanese-American internment camps and talks about the importance of civic duties. This event will take place on Friday, May 3, at the theater located in the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum. Our first program complies with all Texas educational standards and is high encouraged from 4th grade up. The evening program is open to the public as Sam shares stories and artifacts from his time in an American Concentration Camp.

Seating is limited so reservations are strongly recommended.
RSVP HERE

If you have any questions, please contact the Education Department at (979) 691-4006 or at bush.education@nara.gov
BQ78
AG
Quote:

Japanese Internment Camp survivor Sam Mihara
Yikes, makes it sounds like a concentration camp in Europe. I know it isn't a shining moment in US History but most of the folks survived. How about just calling him an internee.
JABQ04
AG
Ha. I also thought the "survivor" wording was odd.
Madman
AG
The word survivor is now used for such a wide array of non deadly things that the word has lost its meaning.

https://medium.com/@taraconlin/we-survived-fyre-festival-and-didnt-hate-it-53cd71867cee
JABQ04
AG
I don't know, IF I had gone to fyre fest I would wear "survivor" as a badge of honor.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
BQ78 said:

Quote:

Yikes, makes it sounds like a concentration camp in Europe. I know it isn't a shining moment in US History but most of the folks survived. How about just calling him an internee.
Internee seems to give what happened too much legitimacy to what I would consider an immoral act by the government.

I'm not going to quibble with the man over how he chooses to describe his ordeal.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
ABATTBQ87
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

BQ78 said:

Quote:

Internee seems to give what happened too much legitimacy to what I would consider an immoral act by the government.

I'm not going to quibble with the man over how he chooses to describe his ordeal.
he was a kid and was lucky he was living in the US instead of Japan, where he would have had a greater chance of being killed by American bombing missions.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
ABATTBQ87 said:

BQ78 said:

Quote:

he was a kid and was lucky he was living in the US instead of Japan, where he would have had a greater chance of being killed by American bombing missions.
That's a weird way to look at it. I'd assume that he should expect to be treated like all U.S. citizens should be treated by the government.

By your logic, the government could do anything to him as long as they didn't kill him.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
ABATTBQ87
AG

ABATTBQ87 said:

BQ78 said:

Quote:

That's a weird way to look at it. I'd assume that he should expect to be treated like all U.S. citizens should be treated by the government.

By your logic, the government could do anything to him as long as they didn't kill him.
My parents were also kids during WWII; my mom and her sisters were shipped around England to protect them from the German bombing of London (A government program); and my dad was a country kid living in Mineral Wells, TX and the US Army took over their property for infantry training (A government program)

Everyone had issues and hardships in the 40s
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
ABATTBQ87 said:

ABATTBQ87 said:

BQ78 said:

Quote:

My parents were also kids during WWII; my mom and her sisters were shipped around England to protect them from the German bombing of London (A government program); and my dad was a country kid living in Mineral Wells, TX and the US Army took over their property for infantry training (A government program)

Everyone had issues and hardships in the 40s

No doubt. I would quibble with them if they called themselves Blitz survivors either.

And I never said, nor implied, he had it worse than anyone else. Was your father's family paid for that land? Were your grandparents forced to send your mother to the countryside?

I can't tell what is going on here.
Kaa98
Don't forget to ask: Were they spying for their country of origin? Many Japs were spies in Hawaii, so the fear wasn't completely unjustified.

At least they were treated humanely and given decent shelter. Have you read about how the Japs treated our POWs?
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Kaa98 said:

Don't forget to ask: Were they spying for their country of origin? Many Japs were spies in Hawaii, so the fear wasn't completely unjustified.

At least they were treated humanely and given decent shelter. Have you read about how the Japs treated our POWs?

It's not an either or proposition.

Secondly, was this kid spying for the Japanese? His family? C'mon guys, this isn't hard. This kid was from San Fransisco, not Hawaii.
Kaa98

Kaa98 said:

Secondly, was this kid spying for the Japanese? His family? C'mon guys, this isn't hard. This kid was from San Fransisco, not Hawaii.

We don't know but there was certainly an overabundance of caution when it came to folks of Japanese origin. Not saying it was right, but there were clearly justifications that the government relied on when making this decision.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Kaa98 said:

Kaa98 said:

We don't know but there was certainly an overabundance of caution when it came to folks of Japanese origin. Not saying it was right, but there were clearly justifications that the government relief on when making this decision.

The government can justify anything in the name of safety. That's why we have the Constitution.
Sapper Redux
Kaa98 said:

So we're justifying blanket racism because they were Japanese? Why wasn't every German American interred?
YZ250
A different country but prior to the war in the Philippines the U.S. brought in FBI agents to circulate among the Japanese population. When war broke out suspected Japanese were brought into custody. Other Japanese civilians were told to stay in their homes. When Germany and Italy declared war on the U.S. those citizens too were brought in. After the Philippines fell Japanese civilians aided the military. By the way, the FBI agents were of Japanese descent. Does that still make it racist?
Sapper Redux
YZ250 said:

A different country but prior to the war in the Philippines the U.S. brought in FBI agents to circulate among the Japanese population. When war broke out suspected Japanese were brought into custody. Other Japanese civilians were told to stay in their homes. When Germany and Italy declared war on the U.S. those citizens too were brought in. After the Philippines fell Japanese civilians aided the military. By the way, the FBI agents were of Japanese descent. Does that still make it racist?
Interring every single American of Japanese descent for no other reason than they are Japanese is racist. Period.
YZ250
They only interred them because they were Japanese? Nothing else was happening at the time?
Sapper Redux
YZ250 said:

They only interred them because they were Japanese? Nothing else was happening at the time?

Yes. As Attorney General Biddle wrote to Roosevelt in 43, "You signed the original Executive Order permitting the exclusions so the Army could handle the Japs. It was never intended to apply to Italians and Germans."
YZ250
So Roosevelt is racist and nothing else was going on at the time?
Sapper Redux
YZ250 said:

So Roosevelt is racist and nothing else was going on at the time?

So you're using war to justify blanket discrimination? While not demanding similar treatment of people of German and Italian descent? That's just stupid.
YZ250
What a ridiculous take! We are just looking for a reason to be rascist. What's stupid is not guarding against sabotage for fear of being called racist. I am not advocating for blanket discrimination. I would want us to vet citizens to alleviate any threat. That's common sense.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
YZ250 said:

I won't argue against the investigating people of dubious loyalty, although the determination of what is dubious could be racist.

I'm personally against limiting the liberty and property rights of people without due process. If they're spies, try them and execute them. If you're unsure, they get to maintain their liberty and property rights.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
YZ250 said:

What a ridiculous take! We are just looking for a reason to be rascist. What's stupid is not guarding against sabotage for fear of being called racist. I am not advocating for blanket discrimination. I would want us to vet citizens to alleviate any threat. That's common sense.

The internment was blanket discrimination.
Sapper Redux
YZ250 said:

What happened was blanket discrimination because they were Japanese and that discrimination was only visited on Japanese Americans.
YZ250
Are you sure no German Americans or Italian Americans were interned?
ABATTBQ87
AG
Sapper Redux said:

YZ250 said:

What happened was blanket discrimination because they were Japanese and that discrimination was only visited on Japanese Americans.

The Japanese were the enemy!! They attacked Pearl Harbor, they murdered American and British POWS, as well as civilians.

The Germans never attacked any US facility prior to December 8, 1941 when THEY declared war on us!

PS: THE Japs and Krauts were convinces their race was superior to us so your screams of racism are misdirected
Sapper Redux
ABATTBQ87 said:

Sapper Redux said:

YZ250 said:

The Japanese were the enemy!! They attacked Pearl Harbor, they murdered American and British POWS, as well as civilians.

The Germans never attacked any US facility prior to December 8, 1941 when THEY declared war on us!

PS: THE Japs and Krauts were convinces their race was superior to us so your screams of racism are misdirected

American citizens who happened to be Japanese were responsible for these things? Is there collective racial guilt for Pearl Harbor? Also, the fact that your enemies are racist means what, exactly? That you can't do a racism? Doesn't work that way.
Sapper Redux
YZ250 said:

Were they interned solely because of their ethnicity?
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
YZ250 said:

Some where, that's blanket discrimination as well.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
ABATTBQ87 said:

Sapper Redux said:

YZ250 said:

The Japanese were the enemy. We interred American citizens for no other reason than they looked similar to the Japanese. Unless there were trials that I'm unaware of.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Why wasn't every German American interred?
Because they had proved their loyalty during WWI
Sapper Redux
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Was every German American interred during World War I?
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Since when do U.S. citizens need to prove their loyalty to be protected by the Constitution?
Jabin

CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Since when do U.S. citizens need to prove their loyalty to be protected by the Constitution?
You make excellent points, Andrew. Unfortunately, the Constitution has frequently been a forgotten memory during times of war. There are many examples of that in addition to the Japanese internment. We also ignore it during other times of perceived emergency.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.