Story Poster
Photo by Andrew Kilzer, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

BREAKING NEWS: A&M releases Mike Sherman from duties

December 1, 2011

The Mike Sherman Era at Texas A&M has come to an end. The fourth-year head coach was informed of the decision by the Aggie decision-makers on Thursday evening. During his tenure as the Ags’ head man, Sherman went 25-25, including what many felt was a breakthrough Cotton Bowl season in 2010 and a bitterly disappointing 6-6 finish this fall.

Myself and the rest of the TexAgs crew will obviously have this covered from all angles throughout the remainder of the day — as well as the upcoming coaching search ... one that is expected to begin and end very swiftly. Kevin Sumlin is the leading candidate for the job, with Kirby Smart and Charlie Strong in the mix as well. Much more on this as the night rolls on at TexAgs.com.

Liucci Tweets:
1) Coach Sherman has apparently come off the road (no longer making in-house visits). Texas A&M is now in the market for a new head man.

2) Lots to say about this later on twitter and @texags but I'll begin with this: There's not a better man in coaching than Mike Sherman...

3) ...and I have to believe he'll be on an NFL sideline as early as next season - as an OC or head coach.

4) The A&M program is in so much better shape today than it was four years ago, it's not even worthy of debate. The next coach will inherit...

5) ...a very stable situation. As reported by @kbohls, UH's Kevin Sumlin the primary candidate ... with Kirby Smart and Charlie Strong in mix.

6) Based on what I've felt from outset, A&M has ONE candidate they felt was the answer and they could get QUICKLY or they don't make this move.
Discussion from...

BREAKING NEWS: A&M releases Mike Sherman from duties

35,184 Views | 137 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by RumRunner
Menartx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
See ya coach. Good luck
hsumatt2117
Regardless of what Sherman' record was, he brought a sense of charactor to A&M. He turned around a team that was broken down from Fran to a team with pride. Good look to you coach!
Benbrook Ag 67
AG
anybody talked about this guy? Check out his hometown.

Larry Fedora
Southern Miss
Head Coach
Conference USA
Record
32–19
Annual salary
$800,000[1]
Biographical details
Born
September 10, 1962
Place of birth
College Station, Texas

Playing career

1981–1984

Austin College

Position(s)

WR

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

1987–1990
1991–1996
1997–1998
1999–2001
2002–2004
2005–2007
2008–present

Austin College (GA)
Garland HS
Baylor (WR/TE/RB coach)
Air Force (QB/WR coach)
Middle Tennessee (OC)
Florida (OC)
Oklahoma State (OC)
Southern Miss

Head coaching record

Overall

32–19

Bowls

1–2
NormanAg
AG
Yes, on countless posts. Seems to be 50/50 pro and con.

I'm on the pro side.
2ndGen87
AG
Ding Dong, the witch is dead!
firestormaggie
It is sad he had to be fired: Unfortunately, it had to be done. I just hope that the new coach can be a surgeon and extract the bad attitudes that have enveloped some of the coaching staff as well as make all of the players accountable, no matter how hard it is to do. Coaches must have the total and complete respect of all of the players at all times. If not, extract the players too. If you are going to be an Aggie football player, punching out bouncers at bars, doing illegal drugs, cussing out coaches on the field of play and coaches allow it is not the type of coaches or players A&M needs. This is a very bad sign of no control that definitely shows on the field of play. Plug in a good OC with entire new staff, on Def., Keep DeRuyter, Nguyen and McMillan. Sorry!, Send the rest packing with a descent severance package and a Christmas card. We definitely need more Aggies on the staff. Do- Not- Make the same mistake again! That would be very unfortunate with entering the SEC where total respect and commitment is demanded! We demand excellence, total and complete commitment from our other sports venues as well as our band and our Corp and they in turn are the best programs of there kind on earth.
It's time for football leadership to step up! Gig'em!
79AG
I wish only the best for Coach Sherman, who represented our University with professionalism, class, and honor. He just couldn't get the job done for whatever reason. I'm sure he understands that coaching is a business in college, just like the NFL, where wins are the metric that performance is judged by. I think it prudent that the Administration didn't let this linger, especially if they already have a successor on board that can keep recruits in check and build this program in the new SEC era for TAMU.

Good luck to all of the current football coaches, and thank you for finishing this tough season with class and dignity. God bless.
buglerank00
AG
stupid decision...character comes before contest. And we just lost it.
Noseguard9
AG
I find it fascinating that people think that being a good man earns one a pass at poor job performance. He gets A&M. So does my wife. Let's go get a ball coach.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AgDad
No matter who we hire, there is no guarantee that Kirby Smart would not morph into "Maxwell Smart" (Agent 86) on the television parody "Get Smart." Francione morphed into someone he was not (at least someone different from the one describe on his resume) upon arrival at A&M. No matter who we hire, a see future disappointment on the horizon. TexAgs, sad to say, posters are, by and large, a negative bunch. Thanks to the staff, things are kept on a positive note.
fivestars378
I hope this is the right decision. we're letting a very good coach go. It may be wise to keep him close for his vision.

[This message has been edited by fivestars378 (edited 12/2/2011 8:16a).]
Bedias-Bo
Give Sherman more time! It'll take a new guy a couple years to build his own program up. Right when the Aggies are joining the SEC. Stupid stupid stupid.
SECbound12
Def. Disagree with this move... We are leaps and bounds better this year than when sherman took over as coach from Fran. Makes me sick.... Sumlin is not the answer either... NO WAY! I'd rater them hire a coach who needs to serve a suspension like Jim Tressel first before Sumlin... At least we would stand a chance in a few years with Tressel
SECbound12
Def. Disagree with this move... We are leaps and bounds better this year than when sherman took over as coach from Fran. Makes me sick.... Sumlin is not the answer either... NO WAY! I'd rater them hire a coach who needs to serve a suspension like Jim Tressel first before Sumlin... At least we would stand a chance in a few years with Tressel
EKUAg
AG
I thought us Aggies didn't tolerate lying or those that do, like Tressel?
SECbound12
or we could lie to ourselves and think Sumlin is the best answer.... Be serious... C-USA to the SEC? SUMLIN IS DEF. no Urban Meyer here... He cant pull off a jump from a Mediocre conference at best, to a powerhouse and have any success.
aggienerd
The decision to fire Coach Sherman is unfortunate, poorly timed, and will likely lead to a longer process in getting to where we want to be. It is unfair to the man, the team, and to the Aggie Fans. How this was handled, is ******-baggery of the first order and reflects very poorly on our beloved university. You never fire someone over the phone!! Period!

Whomever leaked this to Bohls, should be immediately dismissed for the DB they are. Better yet, let him be drug out of BCS by a slow moving freight train!!
3fiddy
collidog2002
I would love to see us look at Major Applewhite as our next head coach. I know he's young and went to tu and all, but I think he would be able to recruit very well in the state of Texas. He's young, hungry, and it's not like tu has ever screwed him over. I really would love to see us give someone a chance, versus stealing someone from their current job. Major Applewhite in College Station would really get me fired up.
Ags76
AG
Sherman never should have been hired in the first place, and it was definitely time for him to go.
AgNuke1707
AG
Sherman was a class act, all the way. I'm shocked though at how many people think his firing is unfair (ESPN.......). If you got paid millions of dollars over four years to lead ANY venture to success, would you think that being in the same place would qualify you keep getting paid? We're not shelling out millions for 6-6 and a second-tier bowl (that we can't win anyway...). Character counts, but performance also matters.

He had essentially the same team as last year when he went 9-4. We ended up 6-6 ... we very well could have been 11-1 (probably SHOULD have been 11-1) and in the discussion for who plays LSU. Losing 5 games when you have a double digit lead isn't from a lack of talent - it's bad coaching. I can forgive it happening once. I can even believe a bad bounce makes it happen twice, but FIVE times shows a lack a understanding by the coaching staff as to what the hell is going on.

Too bad we missed out on TT. Now that he's a tceh I've lost all respect for him. Gary Patterson would be nice, but you'd have to pile a dump truck full of money outside his house in Fort Worth to get him away from TCU. I hear Joe Paterno is looking for work???
2ndGen87
AG
Sherman may be Mother Theresa away from football, but he has the worst record at A&M since Tom Wilson. He hasn't the fewest win against Texas since the 1960s. He just wasn't a very good coach. We did him a huge favor so he didn't go and lose another bowl game and go out with a losing record. You do realize that Fran's record is better than Shermans? Do you really think Sherman was going to compete in the SEC?
Oldarmy70
Mike Sherman is a classy gentleman and I hope we will be able to say the same for the new coach.

Oldarmy70
VonDaMan
aggienerd
After hearing Coach Sherman's press conference, I realize more than I ever have what a solid man of character Mike Sherman is; and what we have lost by the ham-fisted decision makers within our Aggie Administration, Alumni Power players, and Regents. This man deserved better than how he has been treated. Shame on the impatient bustards who couldn't see that this man has a foundation that we could have built a beautiful program upon. He prides himself on brutal honesty and I believe that if he were afforded the opportunity to analyze and develop a plan of how to get to where we need to be, he would have adjusted as needed. Shame, shame, shame. The leak and actions of the administration, have made me and many others somewhat ashamed and embarrassed to be an Aggie. Believe me that really hurts to say.

The only thing that can be done now is to do our best not to make this situation worse and risk making Aggie jokes ring true. We should:

- Pay this fine gentleman whatever his new contract payoff would have been and never disparage him in the future.

- Take the time to get the right replacement. If the SEC jump is a hundred year decision, then find the man who can develop and stay with us for 25 years.

- Make a solemn vow to get out of the fire them vs. fix them mentality.

- Weed out the Jerry Jones wannabes, who want to feel that they are the Masters of the Universe just because they have success in business and life. Hire the right people, give them what they need to do the job, and get the hell out of the way!!! That does not mean we don't hold folks accountable, but be realistic and be fair.

Bleeding maroon today.............................
ILVolAg
I haven't seen anyone mention this (perhaps because it's a dumb idea), but has anyone thought about trying to lure Tommy Tuberville away from Texas Tech?

He's a defensive minded coach that has had a lot of success coaching in the SEC West against all of the teams (and most of the coaches) we will be facing next year. He basically got screwed at Auburn and could be looking for a little payback.

I'm sure there are issues to deal with in terms of his buy out, and he might command a little more money than Sumlin or some of the others. But with the way we're throwing around money right now, I don't see what a couple million more dollars will hurt. Plus it doesn't make much sense to buy Sherman's contract out and then go bargain shopping.

Just a thought.
SnowboardAg
AG
Yes, Green Bay let a very good coach go in Sherman, so did the Texans. Both have not recovered for letting a man of character go.

It has nothing to do with character. Character is an expectation and the NCAA is one to judge / evaluate that. At your job / business, would you allow a person of "good character" to be unproductive. Football is a business. If you don't understand that go to the Bill Belichick school of football.
TheCougarHunter
AG
Sherman is no doubt a great guy. However, we don't pay him two million dollars a year to be a great guy, we pay him to get W's, and that just didn't happen.
aggie59
AG
I have no problem with letting Sherman go.The problem I have is with the board of regents and the way it was handled.For the first time in my life they make me feel ashammed as an Aggie. Gov Perry should root out the ******* that leaked the firing and and demand his resignation
agdoc99
"The leak and actions of the administration, have made me and many others somewhat ashamed and embarrassed to be an Aggie. Believe me that really hurts to say."

I have felt the same sentiment.

Whether the firing was a good or bad idea is impossible to predict. We all sat and watched our team with Franchione and it was bad along with having a coach of questionable character. Our team is undoubtedly better than it was then and the coach is of outstanding character but the record wasn't there. I think he was one of the best coaches in the country...in the first half. He was the worst in the second half. So fire/not fire I am indifferent. But the way it was done was bad.

To aggienerd and others feeling the same...I couldn't stomach the way this was done after I watched Hunter's interview and sherman's exit interview. I wrote to Loftin and the 12th Man foundation to express my disappointment. We owe the man an apology and it should happen now. A mistake was made and probably by one person, but our institution looks bad because of it and it needs to make amends. But one person is unlikely to influence them. If you feel the same as I, write them and let it be known that Aggies stand by their university and their team through good and bad but we will stand up to it if it compromises what Aggies believe in. Gig em.
HIGHER
AG

What business does Wilson have to order Sherman
fired.Next,what business does he have firing the
AD or threating such????Isn't their a board????
ccf57arl
If all is above board, AD Bill Byrne must fire Regent Wilson's Athletic Department plant, Jeff Toole. Then Byrne must lead an independent HC search committee comprised of Byrne, Putz, a Regent and two other independent members, majority rules. The firing of Sherman reeked to high heaven and was totally disgraceful.

I am 100% opposed to hiring Kevin Sumlin, whose Houston Cougar team was destroyed by my new TAMU HC choice, Larry Fedora of Mississippi Southern.

AD Bill Byrne must be allowed to DO HIS JOB and BE IN CHARGE OF HIRING THE NEW TAMU COACH. Any meddling by DR. Loftin and the Regents must also result in the termination of Dr. Loftin.

MEDDLING BY THE HOUSTON AND DALLAS BMA'S ALONG WITH GOVERNOR RICK PERRY has kept our FB program second class for 100 years.
RumRunner
I would rather have an honorable coach (i.e. Sherman) and a team of respectable, literate Aggies than a coach and team who are out playing for themselves only.

As an Aggie, I always support our team because those are fellow Aggies playing their hearts out on the field, whether they win or are out-scored doesn't matter -- it's the old "how they play the game" that matters. And dear God, I just pray that is not lost....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.