48" Grapple for Sale. Conroe.

3,839 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 24 min ago by coolerguy12
coolerguy12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OP Edit: 4/11/24

So here's the situation. I made the mistake of stopping at the Museum of the American GI on Monday on my way back from watching the eclipse to look at the Humvees Hawk-Aggie has for sale and now I really want one. Here's how it relates to this thread....

This morning I got on Ritchie Bros auction to get a few more grapples to flip, hoping that I can sell some grapples and sell my '98 Jeep and have enough to buy a Humvee. I wound up winning 12 grapples, which is way higher than normal. Guess today's auction just had less traffic, lucky me.

I have sold a bunch of these grapples in the past on Craigslist, FB, and even one here and I usually can get $800-$1200 profit if I'm patient. The prices I'm going to list below are for me to make $550 profit per unit to hopefully sell them quicker. I'm happy to share the invoice with anyone that is skeptical. I will list them $400-$500 higher on CL and FB so this really is a TexAgs special.

Would you be better off buying direct from Ritchie Bros? Yes. It's a great website and I recommend everyone check them out. It's where I bought my SxS, hay forks, ZT mower, and pallet forks. Keep in mind there is a minimum $100 buyer fee and 8.25% taxes added on. The biggest pain is getting loaded. I have been there for 4+ hours before and they are only open on weekdays so I usually burn a day of PTO to get loaded so I'm hoping that's where I can add $550 in value for you.

All that to say, below is what I have for sale and the prices. 281-798-7919

5 - 78" Grapples, dual claw: $1600
3 2 - 72" Grapples, dual claw: $1600
1 - 68" Grapple, dual claw: $1600
3 - 60" Grapple, dual claw: $1600
2 - 48" grapple, single claw: $1200

They come with skid steer hydraulic connections but I can put tractor fittings on them at no cost. They all have skid steer quick attach couplers which most non-green tractors use.

Shoefly!
AG
Price?
coolerguy12
AG
Updated OP

$1300
coolerguy12
AG
Bump. Open to reasonable offers.
coolerguy12
AG
Bump for OP edit.
KALALL
AG
How long are the hydraulic lines? I don't have a third function on my tractor so I'd have to run them to my rear remotes.
coolerguy12
AG
3-4' 6'. I was able to buy everything I needed to run off my rear remotes from tractor supply for around $200. You are welcome to check out my set up and move some logs if you want to get a feel for operating with the rear remote. It's a bit cumbersome at first but not hard once you get the hang of it. Sure beats $800+ for the valve switching kit. The hardest part is having the rear remote control on the same side as the FEL joy stick so you can only operate one at a time or use your left hand on the joystick.
schmellba99
AG
Any idea on brand and weights of each size? Assuming by the looks that they are A36 steel and light duty grapples, not a bad thing.
coolerguy12
AG
They are tagged as "all star" on Ritchie bros but I have never seen where you can buy them direct. Some come with "made in USA stickers" but no idea if you can trust that. I would guess 500# for 48" up to 900# for 78".
coolerguy12
AG
Here's a "testimonial" from a guy that bought a 60" to put on a skid steer a few months ago. He was skeptical about the durability with a stronger machine (my tractor is 55HP) but he seemed happy.

If anyone manages to break one of these I'll trade it out or do what I can to fix it.

coolerguy12
AG
Picked up the grapples today. I'm converting a SSQA bucket I bought for a buddy to John Deere connections. I'll post pictures of that once it's done in case any JD guys are interested.
tamc93
AG
Been thinking about it, but trying how to add the third function for ease of operation.

I start researching and then get distracted.

Any links to a a third function kit and instructions?

Edit - Found your location in the title.
coolerguy12
AG
I'm just south of Conroe. I didn't spend too much time looking at valve switching kits due to the price. I just ran long hoses off the rear remotes to the FEL. Cost me around $200 all in at tractor supply.

If you send me your model number I would be happy to research valve switching kits. Install appeared fairly easy
tamc93
AG
Kubota MX 4800

I think this the one I keep leaning towards

Also suggested size of grapple?
coolerguy12
AG
I have a 55HP and I would keep a 68" or 72" for myself if I were to choose. Can't really go wrong though. Even the single claw 48" is very capable, just harder to manage wider loads. I have pushed these grapples to the limits of my tractor (picking up rear wheels or FEL maxed out on power) and they still have plenty to give.

I'll read up on switching kits for your tractor if I get some time tomorrow.

You're welcome to come test one out on my tractor to see how it feels operating off the rear remotes. It's a little cumbersome at first but easy to get the hang of.

Quick review of the kit you posted leads me to believe it's not a valve switching kit but a true 3rd function. When I was looking for my tractor it seemed like they all switched from one function to another. For example, in grapple mode you would lose the curl function and vice versa. It seems like yours could curl, lift, and grapple all at the same time which is really cool.
schmellba99
AG
tamc93 said:

Kubota MX 4800

I think this the one I keep leaning towards

Also suggested size of grapple?
General rule of thumb is to go with the same size as your bucket, maybe one size larger.

What you want to look for is the weight though - buckets are surprisingly light, and your FEL capacity includes the weight of whatever implement you have on there.

So if you can pick up 1500lbs with your FEL, but your bucket weighs only 250lbs, you have an actual capacity of 1250lbs. Anything heavier than the bucket will negate your actual lifting capacity.
schmellba99
AG
coolerguy12 said:

They are tagged as "all star" on Ritchie bros but I have never seen where you can buy them direct. Some come with "made in USA stickers" but no idea if you can trust that. I would guess 500# for 48" up to 900# for 78".
This is what I found on them for weights:

Quote:

Root Style Grapple , * Made for Low HP Tractors and Skidsteers
Made in USA / Our grapple uses A36 steel with " sides / middles / and tongs. 2" x 8" Cylinder. Opens at 36". Compare and Save.

60" $1500 approx 525lbs
72" $1500 approx 575 lbs
highvelocity
AG
cool idea, may look into this for where I live. everyone and their mom has a skid steer and needs a grapple
coolerguy12
AG
Here's my 5 year old son cleaning up the hay from around our feeder. Sure would like to not will all these grapples to him.

coolerguy12
AG
I bought a SSQA bucket at the auction for my buddy with a John Deere tractor. Was able to cut it up and weld on a couple fittings to get it to connect to his John Deere. I would be willing to do this on a grapple for a John Deere but would need about $400 extra. It was a crap ton of cutting and welding plus the cost of the adapter plates. I'm not a professional welder by any means but it will hold.

coolerguy12
AG
Bump
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.