8:39p, 3/21/21
How does Dest compare to Pulisic?
Legal Custodian
8:54p, 3/21/21
In reply to aTmAg
aTmAg said:

Dest is a RB while Pulisic is a LW.

Dest positions himself well, good finisher for being a RB, fast, needs work on crossing and needs to work on his on-ball defense.

Pulisic is a good-great dribbler, is well positioned, good passer, needs to work on finishing.
wangus12
9:00p, 3/21/21
In reply to aTmAg
aTmAg said:

I'd say Pulisic is the better player, but thanks to never being able to stay healthy, is now in a bad position at the club level.
aTmAg
10:34p, 3/21/21
How many American starters do we have in the big European leagues now? How far behind are we compared other teams that tend to get past the WC group stage?
Legal Custodian
12:55p, 3/22/21
In reply to aTmAg
aTmAg said:

How many American starters do we have in the big European leagues now? How far behind are we compared other teams that tend to get past the WC group stage?
Great question, let's look at Uruguay. Currently ranked 8th in the world, which in theory should get you to the quarterfinals of the World Cup. This is a great goal for US to reach next year. Obviously, you would love to win it but to get to the quarters would get a lot of buzz generated and a lot of people excited for 2026 at home. And most likely it would be against a big boy in Soccer ala England, France, Brazil, somebody like that.

Anyway, back to your question. To save time looking at individual players which you could just google, transfermarkt.com averages the age and market value for position groups. This is Uruguay's average for the year 2020:

Pos - Avg Age - Avg Market Value
URUGUAY:
GK - 31.25 - $1.71mil
DEF - 25.15 - $7.91mil
MID - 23.38 - $26.56mil
ATT - 25.88 - $13.09mil

USA:
GK - 27.5 - $1.86mil
DEF - 23.19 - $3.69mil
MID - 22.14 - $4.09mil
ATT - 21.67 - $8.75mil

This shows that we are drastically younger than most other national teams, and this doesn't take into account players who didn't cap in 2020 that have gone up in value like Daryl Dike, Musah, Hoppe, Chris Richards, and Antonee Robinson. To show true apples to apple it will take a lot longer to put together that type of data. But we are much younger, and don't have quite the experienced depth that the big boys have. I would bet our starters versus theirs are a lot closer in market value and younger in age which is why everyone is looking at 2026 as the year.
aTmAg
4:18p, 3/22/21
Thanks for the answer!
aTmAg
10:26p, 3/22/21
I may take a special miracle on ice like team. A team that on paper should get destroyed, but play together as a team and play well beyond their level.

My son played on high school team like that. On paper, they shouldn't have been very good. Only one in my son's class played in college at all and it was either D3 or NAIA. Meanwhile, the class above his included several college players and the coaches son which made them the "beloved class". They played together since they were 5 and were expected to go all the way to state. The coach even drove the team bus to Georgetown before the season to "get them ready". My son and most of the rest of his class watched from the bench as juniors as the team got destroyed in playoffs and made an early exit.

The coach then declared my son's senior year to be a "rebuilding year", and even considered benching most of them to give underclassmen 3-4 years to play together to make another run. But my son's class would not have it. They won both pre-season tournaments for the first time in over 10 years. That kept the senior class off the bench for the rest of the season. They played together like no other team I had ever seen. There were players pulling themselves out of games if they couldn't cover somebody. We had a kid who would play maybe 5 minutes a half, and he decided that for those 5 minutes he would run as hard as a human being possibly could and became a huge pain in the ass for the opponents. The only kid in my son's class that played all 4 years was on track to break the school scoring record, but instead of playing forward his final year, he offered to play mid instead. That was because the team would be better if he played mid, since we could put a kid in at forward who was decent at it (but not as good as the 4 year starter) yet not suited to play anywhere else. Unfortunately, the only game they lost all year was in the state finals. Despite that, it was an amazing run, and inspiring to watch as a parent, and the school has not returned to the playoffs since.

I may be naive, but maybe someday USMNT could have a year like that.
wangus12
5:19p, 3/28/21
Needed to center that ball rather than shoot
stillmerk
7:55p, 3/28/21
WTF was that?
KCup17
9:24a, 3/29/21
In reply to stillmerk
An utter embarrassment
PatAg
9:25a, 3/31/21
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/30/us-mens-soccer-team-olympic-qualifying-falure

This is a pretty good summation of what most of us agreed on, but written in a pretty unbiased manner.
I dont have a lot of confidence that the USSF will change its ways, unfortunately.
jeffk
10:37a, 3/31/21
In reply to PatAg
Yeah, that's a good summary. Thanks for posting.

Kreis will almost definitely be gone soon, but USSF will unfortunately just hire another out-of-work MLS guy to fill his spot.
Rudyjax
8:15a, 4/29/21

I forgot about this but looking into it remembered.

Quote:

On January 5, 2021, Che was one of six FC Dallas players who went on a three-week training stint with German Bundesliga side Bayern Munich.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Che#cite_note-5][5][/url] On February 12, 2021, he joined Bayern Munich II on loan.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Che#cite_note-6][6][/url]

KCup17
11:34a, 4/29/21
In reply to Rudyjax
Came here to post this but you beat me to it.
Rudyjax
4:22p, 5/31/22
This is super cool.

I've known this kid and his family since he was U8. At that age at his sisters game he could juggle while running and put it in from 30.

He has a u15 call up previously.

https://www.fcdallas.com/northtexassc/news/fc-dallas-academy-player-nolan-norris-called-into-national-team-duty
KCup17
1:21p, 6/1/22
Alex Mighten, 20 yr old Nottingham Forest Winger just committed his future to the USMNT. In the proceess of filing his one time switch from England. Has represented England at the youth levels. Might mean that Balogun is also considering the US over England...
Rudyjax
9:32p, 6/6/22
akm91
9:28a, 6/7/22
In reply to Rudyjax
Pretty impressive to beat England's youth team. This bodes well for the USMNT pipeline.

Hopefully we'll never suffer another "Lost Generation" fiasco.
Rudyjax
11:04a, 6/7/22
In reply to akm91
akm91 said:

Pretty impressive to beat England's youth team. This bodes well for the USMNT pipeline.

Hopefully we'll never suffer another "Lost Generation" fiasco.
Here's the difference between a few years ago too...

Most of these kids are already professionals.

Even as far back as a few years ago, our kids were still in high school playing club/DA.

That kid I know, just turned 17 in February and has already graduate from high school and playing with Lone Star FC.

Rudyjax
8:44p, 6/9/22
Bold prediction…

Rodrigo Neri will be the difference maker in the 26 WC.
Rudyjax
11:00a, 6/18/22
U20 play today at 3pm CDT. Streams available.
KCup17
5:19p, 6/19/22
In reply to Rudyjax
10-0 Final over St. Kitts yesterday.
jeffk
6:44a, 6/20/22
"**** them Kitts."

~US Soccer
~Michael Jordan
Rudyjax
2:36p, 6/20/22
Tonight at 7:30pm against our neighbors from the north.

Anyone find a non Spanish language broadcast?
KCup17
3:03p, 6/20/22
https://www.youtube.com/c/concacaf/videos

Didn't realize that the top 2 teams qualify for the 2024 Paris Olympics
Aston94
4:15p, 6/20/22
In reply to KCup17
KCup17 said:

https://www.youtube.com/c/concacaf/videos

Didn't realize that the top 2 teams qualify for the 2024 Paris Olympics
Yeah, this is a WC and Olympic qualifier. Big, big competitioon.
Aston94
4:18p, 6/20/22
In reply to Rudyjax
Ken Scarborough said:

Facebook Watch will have the game tonight. It is in English.
Rudyjax
4:36p, 6/20/22
In reply to Aston94
Aston94 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Facebook Watch will have the game tonight. It is in English.

Thanks. I signed up for Fubo but the broadcast is in Spanish. Was hoping to watch after dinner.
KCup17
4:51p, 6/20/22
In reply to Aston94
I also believe that the Concacaf YT page will be live streaming the game in english. I was watching the St. Kitts and Cuba game earlier for a little bit.
Rudyjax
9:23p, 6/20/22
US dominates Canada. Gives up 2 sloppy goals and ties.

Shots were probably 15-1.
Rudyjax
9:53p, 6/20/22
In reply to Rudyjax

Aston94
10:06p, 6/20/22
Watched the match. We definitely didn't field our strongest team. There are 3 group games in 5 days, so lots of changes, but we still dominated the match in every way but the score.

The top 3 teams of the 4 team group advance and the key is avoiding the 3rd place position, as that puts you on the same side of the bracket as Mexico. So this result should put us in a good place to claim 1st with a win over Cuba in the final group game. A draw would actually do it, as we would have the better goal differential.
Rudyjax
7:41p, 6/22/22
2-0 US over Cubs in the 9th minute.

Great passing and great finishes.

We couldn't used those finishes against Canada.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 15 of 21
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings