***Young Americans Soccer thread***
82,469 Views | 730 Replies
wangus12
8:45p, 8/11/19
In reply to fig96
He also has the turnover that led to United's 3rd goal.

The amount of hate he gets on the internet from non-Americans is crazy
oh no
12:54p, 8/12/19
just so i know, how young are we tracking soccer players on this thread?

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-soccer-leagues/story/3919297/usl-side-signs-youngest-american-male14

fig96
1:16p, 8/12/19
In reply to wangus12
wangus12 said:

He also has the turnover that led to United's 3rd goal.

The amount of hate he gets on the internet from non-Americans is crazy
While that may have been the case on the turnover itself, hard to blame him for the Chelsea backline letting Rashford blow past them to receive a 50 yard chip in stride.
Dre_00
3:18p, 8/13/19
Sergino Dest came on at HT for Ajax in the CL qualifier against PAOK. Looked OK. Some bad sequences but some good ones too.
OregonAggie
3:21p, 8/13/19
In reply to Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

Sergino Dest came on at HT for Ajax in the CL qualifier against PAOK. Looked OK. Some bad sequences but some good ones too.

I'm hoping he stakes his claim on a first team spot but doesn't absolutely shine until he plays a competitive game for the US. If he starts for Ajax, the Oranje May call him up
OregonAggie
3:24p, 8/13/19
In reply to Dre_00
Why is Ajax playing a qualifier for the CL when they played in the Semis last year? They won the Eridivisie as well. I figured that would be enough to qualify them directly to the group stage.
JJxvi
3:33p, 8/13/19
Only the top 10 leagues in Europe get automatic qualification slots into the group stage.

The Eredivisie is ranked #12

Spain (4 teams), England (4 teams), Germany (4 teams), Italy (4 teams), France (2 teams), Russia (2 teams), Portugal (Champion only), Belgium (Champion only), Ukraine (Champion only), Turkey (Champion only) are the ten leagues with automatic slots for 2019-20 Champions League

Making the semis also doesnt cut it, outside of the qualifying through the league spots listed above, the only other ways to get an automatic group stage slot is by winning the Champions League or Europa League in the previous season.
fig96
3:39p, 8/13/19
I get the first several but the domestic leagues in Russia, Belgium, Turkey, the Ukraine, and Portugal are ranked ahead of the Eredivisie?
oh no
3:56p, 8/13/19
In reply to fig96
from wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient#League_coefficient

Eredivisie is like 5th all time, but for this cycle (previous 5 year's results) was #12
Quote:

In its present format, the Champions League begins in late June with a preliminary round, three qualifying rounds and a play-off round, all played over two legs. The six surviving teams enter the group stage, joining 26 teams qualified in advance. The 32 teams are drawn into eight groups of four teams and play each other in a double round-robin system. The eight group winners and eight runners-up proceed to the knockout phase that culminates with the final match in late May or early June.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League#cite_note-Matches-5][5][/url] The winner of the Champions League qualifies for the following year's Champions League, the UEFA Super Cup and the FIFA Club World Cup.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League#cite_note-UEFA_Super_Cup-6][6][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League#cite_note-FIFA_Club_World_Cup-7][7][/url]

The number of teams that each association enters into the UEFA Champions League is based upon the UEFA coefficients of the member associations. These coefficients are generated by the results of clubs representing each association during the previous five Champions League and UEFA Europa League/UEFA Cup seasons. The higher an association's coefficient, the more teams represent the association in the Champions League, and the fewer qualification rounds the association's teams must compete in.

Four of the remaining six qualifying places are granted to the winners of a six-round qualifying tournament between the remaining 43 or 44 national champions, within which those champions from associations with higher coefficients receive byes to later rounds. The other two are granted to the winners of a three-round qualifying tournament between the 11 clubs from the associations ranked 5 through 15, which have qualified based upon finishing second, or third in their respective national league.

JJxvi
4:25p, 8/13/19
In reply to fig96
fig96 said:

I get the first several but the domestic leagues in Russia, Belgium, Turkey, the Ukraine, and Portugal are ranked ahead of the Eredivisie?
The league coefficients are based on results in Europe. Last year's results performance by Ajax is maybe one step for them getting back to where you expect them to be, but other than that the Eredivisie has not really been represented in the Knockout Rounds at all (PSV made it once in the period I think)

Porto/Benfica, Besiktas/Galatasaray, Gent/Anderlecht, and Shakhtar/Dinamo/Zenit are all equally or greater representation for their leagues over the past 5 years.

Europa League is kinda where the hay is made for that grouping of leagues.

In the past two seasons not a single Dutch side has made the knockout stages of the Europa League, while 17 teams from those other 5 leagues have, and Portugal, Russia, Ukraine have teams getting to the quarters and such.
JJxvi
4:33p, 8/13/19
In reply to oh no
dp
JJxvi
4:42p, 8/13/19
I just looked at the 2019-20 champions league qualification, its actually different now. I saw RB Salzburg qualified for the group stage as Austrian champions as well, which confused me. The top 11 champions actually make it now, and just as Austria passed up the Netherlands for this year.

For this year Spain (4 teams), England (4 teams), Germany (4 teams), Italy (4 teams), France (3 teams), Russia (2 teams), Portugal (Champion only), Belgium (Champion only), Ukraine (Champion only), Turkey (Champion only), and Austria (Champion only) are the leagues with automatic slots for 2019-20 Champions League group stage.
JJxvi
4:48p, 8/13/19
Im guessing an extra champion for the 11th place league and extra third place team from the #5 league are who gets added if the Europa League and Champions League winner already qualify through their league qualification.
PatAg
6:18p, 8/13/19
A lot of people don't understand how mediocre/bad the bottom half of most European leagues are. That's why it's important for our young americans to go to good situations.
JJxvi
6:51p, 8/13/19
Since Salzburg is in the group stage, is that the first club with an American manager to appear there?
fig96
7:02p, 8/13/19
Gotcha, thanks guys.
Rudyjax
8:54p, 8/13/19

My daughter is an '07. She just started 6th grade.
oh no
9:31p, 8/13/19
In reply to Rudyjax
Holy crap- my '07 son starts 6th grade tomorrow. It's crazy to see him face DA competition, such as at FC Dallas, and think one or a couple of those kids may be professionals one day... and to think there are kids his age like Axel who is winning mvp awards in tournaments in Europe. Wow.
OregonAggie
9:34p, 8/13/19
In reply to JJxvi
JJxvi said:

Since Salzburg is in the group stage, is that the first club with an American manager to appear there?

I believe so
ThunderCougarFalconBird
9:12a, 8/14/19
In reply to PatAg
PatAg said:

A lot of people don't understand how mediocre/bad the bottom half of most European leagues are. That's why it's important for our young americans to go to good situations.
Not just the bottom half -- in many leagues it's everyone outside of a handful of "haves."

It's also explains why you see seeming upcoming star players leave smaller league "giants" for mid-table EPL clubs. The money is so distorted that talent is flowing where the TV money is flowing.
aggiesoccer#1fan
12:21p, 8/14/19
Francis Jacobs, a 14-year-old from Laguna Beach, has become the youngest player to sign a pro contract in the U.S. He joins second-division Orange County (USL Championship) after a youth career with the Irvine Strikers. The American has gotten call-ups to the U-14 national team and has had multiple trials in Germany. Anyone aware of this guy?

https://www.uslchampionship.com/news_article/show/1040829
oh no
11:26a, 8/16/19
Quote:

U.S. youth international and Hannover 96 forward Sebastian Soto has been contacted by Chile manager Reinaldo Rueda, with an eye towards the striker playing for La Roja, according to a source with knowledge of the approach.

Soto, 19, is eligible to represent three countries -- Chile through his father, Mexico through his mother, and the U.S. because it's the country of his birth. He has represented the U.S. at U19 and U20 level, and scored four goals for the Americans at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup last spring when his team reached the quarterfinals.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
2:15p, 8/16/19
In reply to oh no
oh no said:

Quote:

U.S. youth international and Hannover 96 forward Sebastian Soto has been contacted by Chile manager Reinaldo Rueda, with an eye towards the striker playing for La Roja, according to a source with knowledge of the approach.

Soto, 19, is eligible to represent three countries -- Chile through his father, Mexico through his mother, and the U.S. because it's the country of his birth. He has represented the U.S. at U19 and U20 level, and scored four goals for the Americans at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup last spring when his team reached the quarterfinals.

Username checks out.
Rudyjax
10:39a, 8/18/19
FC Dallas U15 DA won the Adidas cup in Munich today. Beat Bayern Munich in KFTM today.

oh no
4:35p, 8/19/19
oh no
11:26a, 8/21/19
oh no
11:31a, 8/21/19
oh no
11:34a, 8/21/19
Rudyjax
12:21p, 8/21/19
In reply to oh no
Dayum. Need to move him to u23s.

Rudyjax
12:22p, 8/21/19
I'm going to say this... If Berholter doesn't invite Dest to the Sr team he should be fired for cause.

Now if Dest declines and wants to play for the Dutch, then fine. But he needs to turn US down.
Rudyjax
12:27p, 8/21/19
In reply to oh no

ThunderCougarFalconBird
1:09p, 8/21/19
In reply to oh no
oh no said:

So does this mean that they will be pushing him up to the U23 squad in the near future?
Rudyjax
1:35p, 8/21/19
In reply to Rudyjax
I Am Mine said:

I'm going to say this... If Berholter doesn't invite Dest to the Sr team he should be fired for cause.

Now if Dest declines and wants to play for the Dutch, then fine. But he needs to turn US down.

Woah...

oh no
3:08p, 8/21/19
Rudyjax
3:55p, 8/21/19
In reply to oh no
I think we follow the same people.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy