General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread
158,473 Views | 2560 Replies
deadbq03
2:25p, 8/17/23
I guess I'll be the first to say that City won't win. Too many changes this year + losing KdB for half of it.

Although I can't figure out who will step up and actually win. It's pretty wide open this year and I could see several teams making it happen. I have a sinking feeling Chelsea will win it and that disgusts me… not playing in Europe will mean they've got fresh legs.
oh no
3:10p, 8/17/23
I'd love to see a surprise league winner a la Leicester City 2016

Let's go Luton Town!
KCup17
3:12p, 8/17/23
I think we will see Arsenal win their first title in a while.
I'm going to go:
1. Arsenal
2. City
3. Chelsea
4. United
5. Newcastle
6. Tottenham
7. Villa
OregonAggie
3:16p, 8/17/23
In reply to KCup17
KCup17 said:

I'm going to go:
1. Arsenal
2. City
3. Chelsea
4. United
5. Newcastle
6. Tottenham
7. Villa

Liverpool not even top 7?!?!?
KCup17
3:22p, 8/17/23
In reply to OregonAggie
I knew I'd catch shtick for that. I think they are an injury away from calamity. Which is why I think they don't make top 7.

But honestly they could slide in at 6. And Tottenham go to 7 and Villa down to 8
OregonAggie
3:47p, 8/17/23
In reply to KCup17
KCup17 said:

I knew I'd catch shtick for that. I think they are an injury away from calamity. Which is why I think they don't make top 7.

But honestly they could slide in at 6. And Tottenham go to 7 and Villa down to 8

My red colored lenses won't let me places them below 6 hahaha. I don't blame anyone for losing faith in them.
oh no
3:48p, 8/17/23
why do i have more confidence in Brentford, Palace, and Brighton than Tottenham right now?
texagbeliever
4:27p, 8/17/23
In reply to OregonAggie
OregonAggie said:

KCup17 said:

I'm going to go:
1. Arsenal
2. City
3. Chelsea
4. United
5. Newcastle
6. Tottenham
7. Villa

Liverpool not even top 7?!?!?
I watched the Chelsea vs Liverpool game. I would say the game had the quality and play style of a West Ham vs Villa game. Some individual moments of skill. Lots of meh. Very little imposing of will. But just one game.
jeffk
5:32p, 8/17/23
I'm not even going to attempt a prediction. This season is going to be bonkers.
Mathguy64
5:44p, 8/17/23
Top 2 are easy. If you have unlimited funding you go to the top of the heap.

1. Man Dhabi
2. Newcastle Arabia

Then you have a team that is acting like they have unlimited funding with an American who doesn't care he's spending more than everyone in La Liga combined.

3. Chelsea

After that you can close your eyes and throw darts at ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool. All old teams playing by old rules in a game that changed.
hoosierAG
5:53p, 8/17/23
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

Top 2 are easy. If you have unlimited funding you go to the top of the heap.

1. Man Dhabi
2. Newcastle Arabia

Then you have a team that is acting like they have unlimited funding with an American who doesn't care he's spending more than everyone in La Liga combined.

3. Chelsea

After that you can close your eyes and throw darts at ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool. All old teams playing by old rules in a game that changed.

I agree with this, with the exception of Arsenal not being up in the top 3 …for this year at least. As for the future, agree that it looks really bleak for Liverpool and the others as they are aging and how Saudi $$ has changed the game. Those current ownership structures won't be able to compete.
KCup17
12:23p, 8/18/23
In reply to Mathguy64
If you correlate spending this summer with placement in the league it would shake out like this:
1. Chelsea
2. Arsenal
3. Tottenham
4. Man United
5. Newcastle
6. Liverpool
Aston94
1:22p, 8/18/23
I think some of you are reading waaaaay too much into first weekend results when making your predictions.
deadbq03
1:58p, 8/18/23
In reply to KCup17
As interesting as a particular window or year's transfer fee spending is - it doesn't mean a ton on its own.

Signing fees should be broken up for the length of the contract to get a per year amount, and you should do this for all players to see what was spent cumulatively, not just the past window.

And of course, you have to include salary - in fact, I'd argue that wages are a far better indicator of talent than fees, since fees are largely based on how much time remains on a contract. If RM gets Mbappe for free next year, it doesn't mean he's an untalented bum. He'll easily be their highest wage.
KCup17
2:05p, 8/18/23
In reply to deadbq03
I'm not saying it's the way we should predict the outcome of the season. If we did that last year then Nottingham Forest would have made Euro competition for this season.

I would actually love to see the metrics you listed. Not sure if there is a resource that has them listed or not.
deadbq03
2:09p, 8/18/23
In reply to KCup17
Accurate salary info is hard to find, unfortunately.
Out in Left Field
2:18p, 8/18/23
Matty T's Forest
Out in Left Field
4:12p, 8/18/23
Matt Turner's first Premier League win!

Only concedes bangers.
jeffk
4:17p, 8/18/23
In reply to Out in Left Field
He's certainly going to see a lot of action. Made a couple nice saves to preserve the win.
eiggA2002
5:08p, 8/18/23
Lots of people are apparently really confident of Nic Jackson and Raheem Sterling and a perpetually injured Reece James bringing Chelsea to glory.
wangus12
6:54p, 8/18/23
Imagine winning the treble and having to beg for people to show up to games

DeangeloVickers
7:15a, 8/19/23
I do agree with this

Financial fair play is a joke.
texagbeliever
7:21a, 8/19/23
In reply to Aston94
Aston94 said:

I think some of you are reading waaaaay too much into first weekend results when making your predictions.
Speak for yourself, I also clearly let my Arsenal bias influence my predictions.
Furlock Bones
9:01a, 8/19/23
Kids woke me up early today and I thought well thank god epl is back. I'll turn on the early 6:30 game. Only to find out, no 6:30 game scheduled today.
Furlock Bones
9:05a, 8/19/23
Bournemouth all over liver****** early and score.
Mathguy64
9:08a, 8/19/23
2 goals allowed in 2'. Great defense there.
hoosierAG
9:08a, 8/19/23
Wth is Allison doing out there?? They are honestly lucky they aren't down 3-0 in the first 9 minutes.
Mathguy64
9:09a, 8/19/23
Allison must want to take the day off. He's actively trying to lose the game on purpose.
gougler08
9:17a, 8/19/23
I can't believe Chelsea hasn't tried to buy Mitoma for $100M+ yet, guy is really good
TXAggie2011
10:21a, 8/19/23
MacAllister given the straight red. Wowza
Mathguy64
10:22a, 8/19/23
Wow. A red card to LIV. That's red all day in every other league but traditionally yellow in the EPL.
hoosierAG
10:22a, 8/19/23
That's a yellow at best.
TXAggie2011
10:23a, 8/19/23
In reply to gougler08
gougler08 said:

I can't believe Chelsea hasn't tried to buy Mitoma for $100M+ yet, guy is really good

I'm sure they've inquired. Can't have too many 100 million left wingers

But also my goodness Wolves is bad
Showstopper
10:24a, 8/19/23
Steven Warnock may have to rub one out after the match.
TXAggie2011
10:24a, 8/19/23
In reply to hoosierAG
hoosierAG said:

That's a yellow at best.

It's clearly at least a yellow, if the suggestion here is it might not even be yellow worthy.

He was very late and went right in with the studs and got his ankle. Doesn't look as bad since it was in the air and not planted
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 54 of 74
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings