General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread

150,720 Views | 2438 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Mathguy64
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wanted to create a thread for discussion of league wide topics, teams without their own thread (Come on Forest), and ****housery outside of our own safe spaces. I assume this will be mostly pointing and laughing at Everton.

Was reading through the Athletic's analysis of the league's accounts from the 20-21 season. Pretty insane drop in revenue for most of the big clubs.

https://theathletic.com/3414748/2022/07/14/premier-league-accounts-covid/?source=user_shared_article

I'll try to post some snips.
ChipFTAC01
AG

ChipFTAC01
AG
And while not specifically EPL related I stumbled across the Oak Road stand at Luton's Kenilworth Road. It's literally built into a row of houses.

https://goo.gl/maps/k67vvyrhPVBGsGx9A

You can go up and down the street and see all of the gates that are literally between Old Mr. Bertrincham and the Potters.
KCup17
AG
Love the thread!

I also love the history you find in these small clubs spread throughout England. They typically have the smaller stadiums that are so closely tied to that local community. Wish that was more common here in the states.
Dre_00
Wait...so can these houses watch the game from their back garden?
ChipFTAC01
AG
I think their back gardens look at the side of the stadium.
Dre_00
I really hope those houses have a back gate that they just open and...walk right into the stadium. Free Luton tickets for life if you own one of those houses. Or at least as long as they play in that stadium.
deadbq03
AG
EconAg18
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

I assume this will be mostly pointing and laughing at Everton.
Ouch. That hurts, but it's true.

Every blue supporter told anyone and everyone that would listen that appointing Rafa Benitez as manager was a bad idea. On top of being an also-ran, he was too weak in the face of ownership with respect to player acquisitions. Whatever the case, we reversed course before going into complete free-fall mode but now what?
KCup17
AG
Hell, Chris Wood at Newcastle will bully Martinez.
ChipFTAC01
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Every blue supporter told anyone and everyone that would listen that appointing Rafa Benitez as manager was a bad idea. On top of being an also-ran, he was too weak in the face of ownership with respect to player acquisitions. Whatever the case, we reversed course before going into complete free-fall mode but now what?

I don't think Everton is going to turn there ship around until they get new ownership.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

I don't think Everton is going to turn there ship around until they get new ownership.
Completely agree with that. We need a crazy billionaire to show up and offer eff you money to get rid of Kenwright/Moshiri/Usmanov. I expect that this season we will at least return to our yawn-worthy campout in mid-table purgatory.

wangus12
AG
Never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad Kroenke bought out Usmanov's shares at Arsenal
ChipFTAC01
AG
Did I hear after the season that the team is quietly on the market?

Serotonin
AG
That is why the old grounds are so awesome. Integrated into the social fabric of the neighborhood.

I definitely want to make the trip to Liverpool to see Goodison and Anfield before one or both are gone.

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Kenwright and Moshiri are screaming the message that Everton is not for sale. So naturally, I assume the club is on the sales block.

And if you want to see a match at Goodison, better go quick. Construction is already underway on our new Bramley Moore Dock Stadium. Goodison is awesome but its such a dump.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread for Everton issues.

When is Arsenal going to return to being a bigger factor at the top of the table?
Teacher_Ag
AG

When is Arsenal going to return to being a bigger factor at the top of the table?

I feel like we are edging closer. Got some young guns who are developing into great players and definitely some good recent transfer action to offload dead weight into favor of guys with potential. IF our attack is stronger this season, which it should be, and IF we can have a bit more luck when it comes to injuries, we could threaten the top clubs more. Or, I could be delusional. Having an optimistic feeling toward EPL and college football seasons just feels....wrong.
wangus12
AG
That's why I firmly believe Aggie Football gonna pull 7-5
jeffk
AG
wangus12 said:

Look, if Arsenal needs to suck for A&M football to be good, then that is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.
ChipFTAC01
AG
jeffk said:

wangus12 said:

Look, if Arsenal needs to suck for A&M football to be good, then that is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Hell I'd even throw in United getting relegated to get us a natty.
YNWA.2013
Man City are just robbing Arsenal at this point. 32m GBP for Zinchenko on top of the 45m they paid for Jesus.
-FTA c/o 2013
joemeister
AG
City feels to me like they are setting their squad up super thin this year. KDB isn't a workhorse and Haaland hasn't been immune to injury. Maybe they have other squad players they trust will make the leap this year.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I was trying to remember what happened to City in 19-20 this morning that kept them from a Bayern like procession to 5 straight. Other than Liverpool having an all-time of a season. Was that just the transition year from Kompany and the rebuilding of the defense?
wangus12
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

Man City are just robbing Arsenal at this point. 32m GBP for Zinchenko on top of the 45m they paid for Jesus.
You might be the only one that thinks that. Most pundits think those are good signings. Its not like we paid 60m for a 5 and half foot CB from the Dutch league
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

Man City needs to find God. They would've gotten Jesus for free.
KCup17
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CgL2WkYKLEb

The jokes just write themselves... On what earth does it make sense to put out a kit in your rivals colors?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I think the opposite of one-upping someone is one-downing someone.

We'll one-down Man City:

I'm pretty sure that monstrosity will cause epileptic seizures.
akm91
AG
Is that their 3rd kit?
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
wangus12
AG
Arsenal is gonna have an ugly pink 3rd kit this year as well.
YNWA.2013
If you think Zinchenko, who Guardiola liked so much that he used RB Joao Cancelo as his first choice LB, is worth over 30m, then I can't help you.

Bissouma to Tottenham = 35m
Koulibaly to Chelsea = 33m
Mane to Bayern = 35m

You think Zinchenko is worth the same as these guys?!
-FTA c/o 2013
KCup17
AG
No it's their away kit...
deadbq03
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

If you think Zinchenko, who Guardiola liked so much that he used RB Joao Cancelo as his first choice LB, is worth over 30m, then I can't help you.

Bissouma to Tottenham = 35m
Koulibaly to Chelsea = 33m
Mane to Bayern = 35m

You think Zinchenko is worth the same as these guys?!
Theres a lot more at play in player valuation than simply comparing fees. All three of those only had a year left on their contract, whereas Zinchenko had two years left. Furthermore, Zinchenko's salary is less than 1/4 of any of those which means Arsenal will pay far less across the length of their contract.
wangus12
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

Bissouma to Tottenham = 35m (Final year of contract)
Koulibaly to Chelsea = 33m (He's 31 now and final year)
Mane to Bayern = 35m (Final year of contract)

You think Zinchenko is worth the same as these guys?! Transfermkt has his value at 27.5m
There is your reason for why those players were only 35m. Nobody is breaking the bank for final contract year players if they can get them for free later.

Zinchenko will most likely be multi-positional coverage for Arsenal, fits the age profile Arteta wants and is an improvement over what is currently there now. If it checks all the boxes, then I understand why they've paid for him. Its not like Arsenal can't afford to do it. They could've done worse while paying more.

jeffk
AG
Where is everyone meeting up to dunk on Everton?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.