General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread
158,349 Views | 2557 Replies
PatAg
11:44a, 8/25/22
One thing we all agree on is its most fun to watch as many teams as you can, vs only following one team and only watching their games.

A few people made some excellent points about all the shows/documentaries that exist now. They really give you a great feel for what it means to support these teams, vs 10-20 years ago you basically just saw a few teams play on TV and thats who you picked.

Rule 1 is to always support Americans, so if you hate Chelsea you root for them to lose 3-2 with 2 Pulisic goals.
PatAg
11:45a, 8/25/22
In reply to ChipFTAC01
ChipFTAC01 said:

Legal Custodian said:

Then I thought Peter Crouch was great for some reason, I guess mainly cause I saw him score once for English national team and he looked so tall and goofy out there. So I decided to follow Stoke City. That lasted one or maybe two seasons.

For some reason? It's because Crouchy is a damned National Treasure! Love the guy.

ChipFTAC01
11:48a, 8/25/22
In reply to PatAg
I really want a long sleeve 2006 Liverpool Crouch shirt with that goofy collar.
wangus12
12:14p, 8/25/22
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

I just don't get why someone knowledgable in how Aggie fandom typically goes would get a free chance to pick another sports team and say "YES, GIVE ME MORE OF THAT!"
Gerrard is an Aggie

GIF Reactor
1:24p, 8/25/22
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

I just don't get why someone knowledgable in how Aggie fandom typically goes would get a free chance to pick another sports team and say "YES, GIVE ME MORE OF THAT!"
Out in Left Field
3:10p, 8/25/22
I grew up playing soccer but never really paid attention to professional soccer. I do remember going to a couple Dallas Burn games at the Cotton Bowl and some Sidekicks games (with Tatu!) at Reunion Arena. Later some FC Dallas games when big names would come to townโ€ฆthe Galaxy with Beckham.

In college, one of my friends was a big Chelsea fan. I knew pretty much nothing about English soccer or really any overseas leagues. We'd watch crappy YouTube game replays and some bootleg streams because there was pretty much nothing on tv at the time. He showed me all these player highlight reels and the one that caught my eye was Gerrard. I wanted to be somewhat contrarian and not pick the same team he did, so Liverpool was my choice.

Luckily for me and all other EPL fans, NBC picked up coverage soon after I got out of school. Being able to watch games, and not just your team, regularly was huge.

I'll add though that I feel personally responsible for loosing the 2014 title. I was in Vegas for a friend's bachelor party and put money on the Liverpool/Chelsea game, the first and only time I've bet on sports. Then the slipโ€ฆ

Anyway, thanks for coming to my Ted talk.
OregonAggie
4:37p, 8/25/22
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

Rooting for ManU is very Aggieish. Its rooting for the richest team full of overhyped expectations that falls flat on its face and loses more than once every year to an inferior opponent.

I used to say Liverpool and the Ags were similar: rabid fans, lots of money but not the richest, typically don't win anything (didn't have a league title for 30 years), and nearly achieved greatness to only screw it up in the end.

Well I can't say that anymore hahaha
PatAg
5:09p, 8/25/22
In reply to OregonAggie
OregonAggie said:

Mathguy64 said:

Rooting for ManU is very Aggieish. Its rooting for the richest team full of overhyped expectations that falls flat on its face and loses more than once every year to an inferior opponent.

I used to say Liverpool and the Ags were similar: rabid fans, lots of money but not the richest, typically don't win anything (didn't have a league title for 30 years), and nearly achieved greatness to only screw it up in the end.

Well I can't say that anymore hahaha
Just gotta wait until you stop winning again.
jeffk
5:11p, 8/25/22
In reply to wangus12
Dang it, wangus. Yes, that was traumatic but I'd already invested years into my fandom at that point and there was no turning back.
Aggies1322
8:16p, 8/25/22
In reply to kb91
kb91 said:

I need to get my story out in public so I won't be accused of being a fair-weather Leeds fan in the coming months/years.

I've always been a fan of the sport but never had any kind of rooting interest - maybe slightly when the Dynamo moved to Houston, but that's it. My now Aggie-grad daughter played all through high school and her French club director was a huge Henry/Arsenal honk, so I loosely affiliated with the Gooners. I travel for work all the time and had an opportunity to overpay to see Arsenal/ManU at the Emirates in 2014 and was completely blown away by the passion and general hatred on display of the opponents. The fact that all of this was magnified and multiplied on match night because Arsenal were trailing the entire match made the experience even more memorable. But there was no emotional investment and I quickly moved back into 'neutral' fan status. Caught a Chelsea/West Ham match at Stamford Bridge, saw Barca at Camp Nou and figured I'd just be that stadium name dropping guy like I'm doing right now without any team to call my own.

Then the Covid lockdown hit.

Quickly emptied out everything on Netflix I wanted to watch and then stumbled upon the Sunderland 'till I Die doc which was excellent, but slightly depressing - I quickly found the Take Us Home: Leeds United doc on Prime without really knowing anything about Leeds the city or their football team. The doc focuses on bringing Bielsa into the club and his legendary man-marking, swashbuckling style that transformed the team that had been out of the PL for 16 years. I just happened to finish the 6 part doc the day before the Championship restarted their season in 2020 and found myself hunting streams/feeds on Reddit to watch Leeds' last nine matches in their eventual run-up to promotion. To my surprise, I was emotionally invested and then started soaking up everything on the socials, podcasts, joined Leeds Texas FB group, paying for a Peacock sub, etc.

Finishing 9th that initial season was incredible having watched every single one of the 38 matches in one way, shape or form. Last season, not so much. Once travel opened back up in between variants, I found myself in London in late September for a trade show and made a trip up to Leeds at the weekend to catch a match at Elland Road. I had to overpay for hospitality club tickets as you couldn't buy single tickets because of Covid (all digital and hotel concierge couldn't buy any for me). So I showed up in the hospitality tent with my Leeds Texas scarf and Leeds/US flag hat and sat at a table full of proper local supporters who all asked the obvious question: "Why/how in the hell are you supporting Leeds?" Complete irony alert looking back on that now. Gameday experience was off the charts that was again magnified and multiplied by a Raphina goal that put Leeds up early and ultimately lost to West Ham on a 90' goal from Antonio.

I laughed at myself for picking a club that was going to be relegated because the league figured out how to take apart Bielsa's system, a devastating number of injuries, etc., but I think every fan of a team should have to experience a relegation scrap because I think that's what makes football 'fandom' unique and special. That said, I hope I don't have to go through that again.

Absolutely love the Leeds United States movement in the US and hope that means we'll see a pre-season tour here next summer.

TL;DR - #MOT, #ALAW

Did your daughter play at the Cy Fair Dynamos? (Not in a creepy way) I just know the club director and he happens to be a French guy who loved Thierry Henry.
kb91
10:21p, 8/25/22
In reply to Aggies1322
Yep. Oli tried but it just didn't stick.
DeangeloVickers
8:22a, 8/26/22
In reply to Thunder18
Thunder18 said:

DeangeloVickers said:

Tell me your a Man U fan with telling me you're a ManU fan

That's a 2nd yellow. I was rooting for Man U to win. Bruno is flopper ****house extraordinaire

Tell me you're a bozo without telling me you're a bozo.

Salah wasted more time fighting for the ball than if he would've just let Bruno take it back to the center circle. It's not Liverpool's kick, and Bruno takes kickoffs for United.

Here's another bozo. Again, its a 2nd yellow.

jeffk
8:44a, 8/26/22
In reply to DeangeloVickers
Yeah, I get reminded weekly that one of my favorite soccer accounts is still run by an Everton supporter.
Thunder18
10:03a, 8/26/22
DeangeloVickers said:

Thunder18 said:

DeangeloVickers said:

Tell me your a Man U fan with telling me you're a ManU fan

That's a 2nd yellow. I was rooting for Man U to win. Bruno is flopper ****house extraordinaire

Tell me you're a bozo without telling me you're a bozo.

Salah wasted more time fighting for the ball than if he would've just let Bruno take it back to the center circle. It's not Liverpool's kick, and Bruno takes kickoffs for United.

Here's another bozo. Again, its a 2nd yellow.

We kicked off in less time after that goal was scored than Liverpool did after either of our goals. You're choosing a stupid hill to die on, but then you are a spuds fan, so par for the course.
Mathguy64
10:19a, 8/26/22
In reply to Thunder18
He is the Spud version of Darwin Nunez. This is what the dark arts do. They make you lose your mind.
DeangeloVickers
10:32a, 8/26/22
In reply to Thunder18
I've only stated it should've been a 2nd yellow, but please do keep lecturing how long it takes to kickoff....very scientific interesting talk.

Can you make a souffle?

And just to have a scoreboard
Those who say it should've been a 2nd yellow
Tim Howard
Rebecca Lowe
One of the Robbie's
Me
Tom Rennie

Those who don't think it should've been a yellow
Man U fans
Arsenal fans on this board sad they didn't make Champions League
Thunder18

Those fans who measure time to next kickoff and can't believe Salah would want the ball from King ***** Bruno
Thunder18
JJxvi
10:44a, 8/26/22
Anybody who thinks any referee is actually going to give someone a second yellow for picking up the ball out of the net and walking toward the center circle to take a kick off is a moron and thats what Fernandes did. Any time wasting he got away with by doing so was from Liverpool trying to take the ball away from him.
DeangeloVickers
10:52a, 8/26/22
In reply to JJxvi

Start at 6: 45 mark.

So they are all idiots. The national broadcast booth. Tom Rennie. All of em....you're here and smarter than those morons....okay there you go
I'd love to see you all put in resumes to get these people out of their positions.
Rudyjax
10:56a, 8/26/22
DeangeloVickers said:

Start at 6: 45 mark.

So they are all idiots. The national broadcast booth. Tom Rennie. All of em....you're here and smarter than those morons....okay there you go

This reminds me of whether you should bunt up by 7.
JJxvi
10:56a, 8/26/22
Yeah nobody in the media ever said anything dumb, or alternatively whatever feels like the best thing to say to ratchet up the controversy for their show.

You got any referees in your League of Extroardinary Soccer Intellectuals willing to say that they are going to send someone off for picking up the ball, walking toward the center circle, and then having the other team try to rassle with them over the ball?
DeangeloVickers
11:04a, 8/26/22
In reply to JJxvi
I'd pay money to see you call Tim Howard a moron

Look we get it...it's the 2nd yellow...we see it every week...the ref doesn't get it out of his pocket...if it would've been his 1st yellow do we see a yellow....I say absolutely.

But IS the argument. It should've been a 2nd yellow. A 1st yellow and a 2nd yellow SHOULD be the same. SHOULD. We are all tired of Bruno. He single handedly gives Americans fuel for hating soccer.

But some of you are blaming Salah...which is even crazier. Bruno the ***** has the ball. You think he's gonna hurry or even have any semblance of dignity.

Yeah right. Salah knows better, I know better, Thunder doesn't seem to know better...but he does seem to have a stopwatch on how fast kickoffs will take...and I'm ready to give him that hill. He is the expert on that.
tysker
11:05a, 8/26/22
In reply to JJxvi
Quote:

You got any referees in your League of Extroardinary Soccer Intellectuals willing to say that they are going to send someone off for picking up the ball, walking toward the center circle, and then having the other team try to rassle with them over the ball?
Plus it was the ~81st minute, right? Plenty of time left. Ask the ref to make sure the time gets added on later. This is exactly why we have extra time. I mean you wouldnt give a player a second yellow for the same scenario in the 50th minute.
JJxvi
11:08a, 8/26/22
DeangeloVickers said:

I'd pay money to see you call Tim Howard a moron

Look we get it...it's the 2nd yellow...we see it every week...the ref doesn't get it out of his pocket...if it would've been his 1st yellow do we see a yellow....I say absolutely.

But IS the argument. It should've been a 2nd yellow. A 1st yellow and a 2nd yellow SHOULD be the same. SHOULD. We are all tired of Bruno. He single handedly gives Americans fuel for hating soccer.

But some of you are blaming Salah...which is even crazier. Bruno the ***** has the ball. You think he's gonna hurry or even have any semblance of dignity.

Yeah right. Salah knows better, I know better, Thunder doesn't seem to know better...but he does seem to have a stopwatch on how fast kickoffs will take...and I'm ready to give him that hill. He is the expert on that.
What a load of nonsense. And there's lots of people I wouldn't call morons to their face...but that doesnlt somehow make me wrong or right about them. I doubt Tim Howard gives a flying **** about this anyway except that its his job talk about it.
JJxvi
11:12a, 8/26/22
Manchester United is the team that is going to kick off. If Bruno Fernandes is gonna slow walk it back to his position, fighting with him over the ball is not going to make him go faster.
DeangeloVickers
11:19a, 8/26/22
In reply to JJxvi
I'm on board with that statement, if it's anyone except Bruno holding the ball....which I concur doing what Salah did makes it worse..but it's Bruno the *****

But again I differ all kickoff timing to Thunder. He's the expert
Mathguy64
11:27a, 8/26/22
Ah. There it is. Now you finally admit it. You want to card him because it's Bruno. Not because what he did was wrong but because it's him.

Please point to the spot on the doll where Bruno Fernandes touched you.
Thunder18
11:36a, 8/26/22
Being a spuds fan has completely broken you. Sad.

texagbeliever
11:39a, 8/26/22
Match week 4 Things To Watch For

6:30 am Saturday
Manchester United vs Southampton: Man U will see if they can build off their performance against Liverpool. Going against them will be the fact that Southampton will field a non-geriatric midfield and will have a bench not filled out by their U21 team. (USA)

9:00 am Saturday Matches
Man City vs Crystal Palace: Crystal Palace should be one of the mid table teams that could give City trouble with their potency on the counter attack and athletic midfield. Would be great if City drop points 2 weeks in a row and give some hope to a real title race. (Peacock/Telemundo)

Liverpool vs Bournemouth: Not much to say. I expect Liverpool to win as long as Fabinho starts and gives at least 70 good minutes. (Peacock)

Chelsea vs Leicester City: Two teams in disarray. Leicester without Tielemans and Fofana should be the break Chelsea is looking for to get a win. Since Pulisic won't start we wish nothing but the worst on Chelsea though. (Peacock)

BHA vs Leeds United: Interesting midtable test here. Probably the most likely match for goals and scoring opportunities for both teams. (USA)

11:30 am Saturday
Arsenal vs Fulham: Mitrovic will be Arsenal's first quality striker test of the season. The thought of him peeling off to the far post to be picked up by Zinchenko will likely be keeping Arteta up at night. Aresnal will be hoping for a comfortable lead to sub off players in preparation for the mid-week game. (NBC/Peacock)

Sunday
Wolves vs Newcastle could be interesting. (Peacock)

Aston Villa vs West Ham could spell doom for David Moyes if the hammers open up with 4 straight losses. (USA)

Tottenham vs Nottingham Forest will have all the neutrals cheering for Nottingham Forest. If for no other reason than out of spite of having to read a multiple page debate on time wasting second yellows. (USA)
Dre_00
11:40a, 8/26/22
DeangeloVickers said:

I've only stated it should've been a 2nd yellow, but please do keep lecturing how long it takes to kickoff....very scientific interesting talk.

Can you make a souffle?

And just to have a scoreboard
Those who say it should've been a 2nd yellow
Tim Howard
Rebecca Lowe
One of the Robbie's
Me
Tom Rennie

Those who don't think it should've been a yellow
Man U fans
Arsenal fans on this board sad they didn't make Champions League
Thunder18

Those fans who measure time to next kickoff and can't believe Salah would want the ball from King ***** Bruno
Thunder18

Video is blocked so I can't see what their reasoning is but...pointing to the "scoreboard" for something like this is a little odd.

First of all, there's very little precedence for actually giving a yellow card to ANYONE in this situation. I'm not saying it's never happened but I am saying the exact same situation plays out A LOT and a yellow is not given. I don't need a former player or someone in the soccer media (or both) to tell me whether or not that it should or should not be a yellow card. That's theory and wishes and who cares. Precedence say it isn't.

If the argument is that it should be a yellow card because we think that type of behavior should warrant one then fine...whatever. That's a different topic. If we're saying that it should be a yellow card because that is the precedence to give a yellow in that situation and the referee made an obvious error in not giving one, then that's just patently wrong.

I think your crew of compatriots are arguing the first point, not the second. Because that's what they get paid to do. Stir up talking points about the behavior, spirit of the game, etc. And if they are arguing the second point, then they are just wrong.
Rudyjax
11:40a, 8/26/22
In reply to texagbeliever
Pretty kick ass they moved Leeds U to NBC.

texagbeliever
11:42a, 8/26/22
In reply to Rudyjax
Really? Email I saw from yesterdays shows it as USA. Would be great if it is NBC then I can watch it on peacock!
Rudyjax
11:43a, 8/26/22
texagbeliever said:

Really? Email I saw from yesterdays shows it as USA. Would be great if it is NBC then I can watch it on peacock!
Oh sorry. Might as well be NBC as it's not Peacock.
Dre_00
11:44a, 8/26/22
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

Ah. There it is. Now you finally admit it. You want to card him because it's Bruno. Not because what he did was wrong but because it's him.

Please point to the spot on the doll where Bruno Fernandes touched you.

I see that my previous post is more or less just repeating what others have said. And I'm also seeing that this is really what's driving it.

Hey, I get it...Bruno is an *******. Doesn't meant should have been a yellow card.
texagbeliever
11:46a, 8/26/22
In reply to Rudyjax
Ken Scarborough said:

texagbeliever said:

NBC games are also on Peacock. Only USA games aren't. I'm guessing that is a cable license issue. For example the Arsenal game is NBC & Peacock.
Rudyjax
11:47a, 8/26/22
texagbeliever said:

Ken Scarborough said:

texagbeliever said:

NBC games are also on Peacock. Only USA games aren't. I'm guessing that is a cable license issue.
Only on Peacock.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 13 of 74
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off