General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread
158,348 Views | 2557 Replies
Aston94
7:37a, 8/25/22
I chose Manchester United a long time ago. Why?

GIF Reactor
7:44a, 8/25/22
Also, if you have Amazon Prime, there are a few docuseries in there from EPL teams. Spurs, Man City, and Aresenal. Maybe others I'm forgetting.
Aston94
7:46a, 8/25/22
In reply to GIF Reactor
There is a great one on Leeds and their fight for promotion under Bielsa. Made me a Leeds fan before Marsch and crew got there.
Jim01
8:10a, 8/25/22
In reply to GIF Reactor
All Or Nothing. Great show!
kb91
8:16a, 8/25/22
I need to get my story out in public so I won't be accused of being a fair-weather Leeds fan in the coming months/years.

I've always been a fan of the sport but never had any kind of rooting interest - maybe slightly when the Dynamo moved to Houston, but that's it. My now Aggie-grad daughter played all through high school and her French club director was a huge Henry/Arsenal honk, so I loosely affiliated with the Gooners. I travel for work all the time and had an opportunity to overpay to see Arsenal/ManU at the Emirates in 2014 and was completely blown away by the passion and general hatred on display of the opponents. The fact that all of this was magnified and multiplied on match night because Arsenal were trailing the entire match made the experience even more memorable. But there was no emotional investment and I quickly moved back into 'neutral' fan status. Caught a Chelsea/West Ham match at Stamford Bridge, saw Barca at Camp Nou and figured I'd just be that stadium name dropping guy like I'm doing right now without any team to call my own.

Then the Covid lockdown hit.

Quickly emptied out everything on Netflix I wanted to watch and then stumbled upon the Sunderland 'till I Die doc which was excellent, but slightly depressing - I quickly found the Take Us Home: Leeds United doc on Prime without really knowing anything about Leeds the city or their football team. The doc focuses on bringing Bielsa into the club and his legendary man-marking, swashbuckling style that transformed the team that had been out of the PL for 16 years. I just happened to finish the 6 part doc the day before the Championship restarted their season in 2020 and found myself hunting streams/feeds on Reddit to watch Leeds' last nine matches in their eventual run-up to promotion. To my surprise, I was emotionally invested and then started soaking up everything on the socials, podcasts, joined Leeds Texas FB group, paying for a Peacock sub, etc.

Finishing 9th that initial season was incredible having watched every single one of the 38 matches in one way, shape or form. Last season, not so much. Once travel opened back up in between variants, I found myself in London in late September for a trade show and made a trip up to Leeds at the weekend to catch a match at Elland Road. I had to overpay for hospitality club tickets as you couldn't buy single tickets because of Covid (all digital and hotel concierge couldn't buy any for me). So I showed up in the hospitality tent with my Leeds Texas scarf and Leeds/US flag hat and sat at a table full of proper local supporters who all asked the obvious question: "Why/how in the hell are you supporting Leeds?" Complete irony alert looking back on that now. Gameday experience was off the charts that was again magnified and multiplied by a Raphina goal that put Leeds up early and ultimately lost to West Ham on a 90' goal from Antonio.

I laughed at myself for picking a club that was going to be relegated because the league figured out how to take apart Bielsa's system, a devastating number of injuries, etc., but I think every fan of a team should have to experience a relegation scrap because I think that's what makes football 'fandom' unique and special. That said, I hope I don't have to go through that again.

Absolutely love the Leeds United States movement in the US and hope that means we'll see a pre-season tour here next summer.

TL;DR - #MOT, #ALAW
wangus12
8:46a, 8/25/22
In reply to GIF Reactor
Electrical_Ag said:

texagbeliever said:

Tottenham: They have been building a strong team. If you are an England fan they have Kane. If you are a South Korean fan they have Son. If you want to never see a team win a trophy they are your team.

Your last sentence is partly why I chose Spurs to follow. Felt like the most Aggie-like team to me. By that I mean a nice stadium, good coach, haven't won anything in awhile. I had narrowed my choices down to London or nearby teams since I wanted to visit someday.

The intense rivalries are something that I think we as adopted fans can't quite fully invest in from so far away.
Don't listen to anyone who says this. Because everyone on this board is gonna somehow relate their team to A&M in some way
Big Shooter
Staff
8:51a, 8/25/22
In reply to Forum Troll
I picked Spurs because my college roommate was a fan, and he'd cook us breakfast on mornings Tottenham played. Free food is the reason for my affliction.
Forum Troll
8:55a, 8/25/22
In reply to Aston94
Aston94 said:

There is a great one on Leeds and their fight for promotion under Bielsa. Made me a Leeds fan before Marsch and crew got there.

Will watch.
ChipFTAC01
8:56a, 8/25/22
As long as we're sharing our origin stories...

Like most kids, I didn't pay much attention to soccer growing up once I stopped playing in 5th grade or so. Went to some Sidekicks games. The knly thing I remember about the 94 WC was the denim jersey and this rock and roll Lalas dude. In the summer of 98 my roommate in the dorm was an expat who went to high school in Central America so he was obsessed and we watched the WC and played fifa on the computer all the time. For the next decade I was a every 4 years usmnt fan.

In 2012 I met my wife who's English, but not a huge sports fan. We started just "putting the footy on" on Saturday mornings. Her dad is from Birkenhead, across the Mersey from Liverpool and from a family of reds. I just naturally kind of gravitated to Liverpool, especially as I got to know all of her younger cousins. We all text during the games; they're amazed at the level of coverage we get over here.

It's fun to have a little bit of actual connection to the team, but honestly as a lifelong Rangers/Aggies fan I'm a bit uncomfortable with the success of the Klopp years. It makes me feel extra bandwaggony. But it's been a good ride.

Knowing what I know now I think I'd rather support a sizable but non big 6 team like Palace, West Ham or Leeds. They're all positioned fairly well to stay up and compete and have good history and such. I really hope that Forest is able to stay up and stick around. Such a great club with great history that belongs in the top flight. I'm sad that I guess MIB isn't affiliated with NBC anymore and Roger isn't doing his promoted series. The ones he's done in the last few years for Sheffield, Leeds, Brentford and Norwich have been great.
eiggA2002
8:57a, 8/25/22
In reply to jeffk
This is how I became a Liverpool fan. Watched Euros and World Cups and was a big fan of Stevie G.

I agree with wangus as well. Just watch and you'll feel drawn to a certain team. And if you go for it, go all in. Don't be a casual. Also don't pick Newcastle or Man City. You're grandfathered in if you were a Newcastle fan before last season.
Mike Elko
9:32a, 8/25/22
In reply to Forum Troll
Forum Troll said:

How did you guys pick a team to root for or follow? Newer EPL fan here and I am following a lot more closely this season. Leeds seem interesting this season but it would suck to root for a team that gets relegated (probably no way for it to happen this season). At the same time, I don't want to really root for Man U as it's basically being a t-shirt Bama fan.
The correct answer is watch every possible EPL series/documentary you can find on Amazon Prime (e.g., All or Nothing (several EPL teams showcased), Take Us Home (Leeds), When Eagles Dare (Crystal Palace), The End of the Storm (Liverpool), This Is Football, Make Us Dream, Rooney) and Netflix (e.g., The Class of '92 (United), Sunderland 'Til I Die)... Then decide. As discussed, Leeds is the trendy pick due to the USMNT connection. Goodspeed, lad.
Rudyjax
9:39a, 8/25/22
Speaking of which, did any one happen to catch, Welcome to Wrexham last night? That was great!

In a nutshell, it's the documentary of Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhanney buying Wrexham and trying to get them promoted out of the National League.

It's on FX and you can catch it on Hulu. For any American soccer fan, it's must see tv.
deadbq03
9:43a, 8/25/22
In reply to Rudyjax
Ken Scarborough said:

Speaking of which, did any one happen to catch, Welcome to Wrexham last night? That was great!

In a nutshell, it's the documentary of Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhanney buying Wrexham and trying to get them promoted out of the National League.

It's on FX and you can catch it on Hulu. For any American soccer fan, it's must see tv.

I want to watch this but haven't started. I bet I can even rope my wife into it because we loved McElhanney in Mythic Quest (yes we are nerds).
Rudyjax
9:48a, 8/25/22
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

I want to watch this but haven't started. I bet I can even rope my wife into it because we loved McElhanney in Mythic Quest (yes we are nerds).
And even for a straight man, Ryan Reynolds is easy on the eyes.
PatAg
9:51a, 8/25/22
In reply to Forum Troll
Forum Troll said:

How did you guys pick a team to root for or follow? Newer EPL fan here and I am following a lot more closely this season. Leeds seem interesting this season but it would suck to root for a team that gets relegated (probably no way for it to happen this season). At the same time, I don't want to really root for Man U as it's basically being a t-shirt Bama fan.
This is a very outdated opinion, and was kind of bull**** in the first place imo. All the top clubs are 'like being a t-shirt bama fan'.
We havent had success in quite some time but still have that stigma.

I would suggest not committing yourself to a team this first year, and you will find yourself naturally gravitating to a club as the year goes on.
If you are a USMNT fan, you will probably be watching a lot of Chelsea and Leeds games this year, so you will get exposed to every team multiple teams.

I would also suggest not forgetting we aren't from the local area of any of those clubs.
If you want to pick a successful club because they are fun to watch, do it. You should enjoy watching your team.
You could literally pick it for aesthetic reasons, and it would be the same imo.

Even choosing a team based on how they play, which is a great reason, could be outdated within a couple years.

(I was replying as I caught up, a lot of people already gave great opinions, but I'm leaving all this in)
carl spacklers hat
9:52a, 8/25/22
In reply to eiggA2002
The hiring of Jurgen Klopp is what attracted me to Liverpool. My son is an avid soccer fan, has played since he was 4 (19 now) and is a long-time ManU fan due to Wayne Rooney, his first favorite footballer. He is (or was) a Barca fan for similar reasons - Leo Messi.

I was a fan of Dortmund while Pulisic was coming on there and liked their style of football, which I attributed to Klopp. So, with his move to EPL my fandom naturally gravitated to Liverpool, which is great because my kid is a Man U fan, and we get to rib each other over our respective clubs.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
PatAg
9:55a, 8/25/22
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

I cheer for LFC because Gerrard was the first English player I remember watching and cheering for.
I think this is how a lot of people choose (myself included).

What is everyones take on 'switching' teams to root for? I think once you actually choose, or buy any merchandise, you are locked in.
KCup17
10:03a, 8/25/22
In reply to ElCheAg
My fellow American Geordie! Howay the Lads!
Aston94
10:05a, 8/25/22
In reply to PatAg
PatAg said:

jeffk said:

I cheer for LFC because Gerrard was the first English player I remember watching and cheering for.

What is everyones take on 'switching' teams to root for? I think once you actually choose, or buy any merchandise, you are locked in.
I don't really "switch" but I do add teams that I root for, have an interest in.

I love watching soccer, so why would I want to be tied to just one team?

Currently I will watch and cheer on:
-Man United (first club I loved, will always support)
-Fulham (became a fan when Brian McBride was there, and then Dempsey, still support the team)
-Leeds United (really got to know team in lockdown watching documentary, now really tuned in with all the Americans)
-Nottingham Forest (Been to 3 Forest games, love the history and the story, rooting for them now that they are back in EPL)
-Everton (this started because of my dislike of Liverpool and enjoyed them in the Tim Howard/Landon Donovan years. Now they are a miserable watch, but still feel some loyalty for them).

So if any of those 5 teams are playing I will cheer for them, but I love watching all soccer/football and especially EPL, but I also love Bundesleague, and have 3-4 teams I cheer for there as well.
texagbeliever
10:05a, 8/25/22
In reply to PatAg
I "switched " from dortmund to arsenal. I've been to 2 Dortmund home games, own jerseys, etc. Main reason for the switch was i could watch EPL matches i couldn't watch bundesliga after ESPN lost their TV rights. Today I would cheer for Arsenal over Dortmund in a competitive game.

I think it is fair to switch teams if:
1. It becomes a proxy oil state owned club
2. Team gets relegated (at the least have a new EPL team)
3. TV rights make it hard to follow the team
4. You move to a place where you have a literal local team.
PatAg
10:11a, 8/25/22
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

Everyone here is probably counting Leeds as their second follow.
This is a great unspoken rule to follow. Always watch games an American is in, and dont feel guilty if you enjoy it when that team does well. Even if it feels wrong (Pulisic on Chelsea)
PatAg
10:13a, 8/25/22
In reply to texagbeliever
texagbeliever said:

I "switched " from dortmund to arsenal. I've been to 2 Dortmund home games, own jerseys, etc. Main reason for the switch was i could watch EPL matches i couldn't watch bundesliga after ESPN lost their TV rights. Today I would cheer for Arsenal over Dortmund in a competitive game.

I think it is fair to switch teams if:
1. It becomes a proxy oil state owned club
2. Team gets relegated (at the least have a new EPL team)
3. TV rights make it hard to follow the team
4. You move to a place where you have a literal local team.
I also think this brings up a good point.
For us over here, I think there is nothing wrong for supporting a team in each league, but you do probably need to mentally figure out their ranking in your head.
Anything that gives you more reason to watch games is good
wangus12
10:15a, 8/25/22
In reply to PatAg
PatAg said:

Forum Troll said:

How did you guys pick a team to root for or follow? Newer EPL fan here and I am following a lot more closely this season. Leeds seem interesting this season but it would suck to root for a team that gets relegated (probably no way for it to happen this season). At the same time, I don't want
I would suggest not committing yourself to a team this first year, and you will find yourself naturally gravitating to a club as the year goes on.
If you are a USMNT fan, you will probably be watching a lot of Chelsea and Leeds games this year, so you will get exposed to every team multiple teams.

That would require that dbag Tuchel to actually play Pulisic
KCup17
10:15a, 8/25/22
My story for following Newcastle goes a ways back. It first started when I watched the movie Goal! Santiago Munoz scoring screamers in St. James Park was legendary. That was my first real exposure to a European team (albeit Hollywood). The first EPL game I watched in it's entirety was a Chelski vs Newcastle game in which Newcastle won 2-0 and Papiss Cisse scored a world class goal over Petr Cech. And finally my club coach growing up was from Newcastle and would wear Newcastle jerseys to games on Saturday mornings so naturally I had an affinity to them from a young age. I started actually following them the year they went down which was in 2015 and have supported them pretty enthusiastically ever since.

Even with the Saudi takeover I can't pry myself from supporting them. It's a weird dichotomy of loving the club while acknowledging the obvious human rights violations by the state owned PIF. Don't really know what to do with the tension tbh.
GIF Reactor
10:38a, 8/25/22
In reply to wangus12
wangus12 said:

Electrical_Ag said:

texagbeliever said:

Tottenham: They have been building a strong team. If you are an England fan they have Kane. If you are a South Korean fan they have Son. If you want to never see a team win a trophy they are your team.

Your last sentence is partly why I chose Spurs to follow. Felt like the most Aggie-like team to me. By that I mean a nice stadium, good coach, haven't won anything in awhile. I had narrowed my choices down to London or nearby teams since I wanted to visit someday.

The intense rivalries are something that I think we as adopted fans can't quite fully invest in from so far away.
Don't listen to anyone who says this. Because everyone on this board is gonna somehow relate their team to A&M in some way
I do agree with your statement, and I didn't tell him/her to choose Spurs based on that statement. I agree with the sentiment that he/she should watch a bunch of games and I think they'll gravitate naturally toward a team.

Just out of curiosity, you're an Arsenal fan, correct? How do you relate them to A&M? They have a cannon in their logo and we have a cannon?
Thunder18
10:39a, 8/25/22
In reply to Aston94
Aston94 said:

I chose Manchester United a long time ago. Why?

It was the Keane, Scholes, Beckham, Giggs midfield for me. Obviously Giggs turned out to be a scumbag outside the pitch, but they were amazing to watch during the late 90s/early 2000s
Mathguy64
10:41a, 8/25/22
I always assumed Aggies who root for Arsenal do so because they root for teams that always finish in 4th place.

I'm laughing and crying together right now. Really.
Legal Custodian
10:54a, 8/25/22
My soccer fandom has been an ever changing journey. First off, I root for and will slightly follow any American playing in a top league (check scores and maybe watch a match if it's on TV but not actively seek it out). Leeds is incredibly fun to follow right now for sure.

My first love was Barcelona mainly due to Ronaldhino in the mid-2000's, I even got a Barca jersey. But about 2006/07 my fandom left Barcelona and especially so after Ronaldhino went to AC Milan .

Then in the late 2000's which is the start of my true soccer fandom, I decided to choose Manchester City because it seemed like everyone was a Manchester United fan at the time and I wanted to be contrarian. I didn't know much about rivalries so I figured City was the biggest Manu rival due to playing in the same city. Not realizing that City was downright terrible and never gave Manu a run for their money.

After a year or two of slightly following City, I stopped caring too much and was in the wilderness for a couple of years. This was when I would just follow where the Americans were. So Everton and Fulham are teams I would check the scores for and hoped they would have success but not truly becoming of a fan of the club.

Then I thought Peter Crouch was great for some reason, I guess mainly cause I saw him score once for English national team and he looked so tall and goofy out there. So I decided to follow Stoke City. That lasted one or maybe two seasons.

Then Jozy Altidore busted onto the scene for AZ and was purchased by Sunderland. I then became a Sunderland fan for about 1-2 years. This was the first team I actively tried to follow. I followed all the social media accounts, would search for the games on TV (very few Sunderland matches were shown). But once Jozy's time was winding down around 2014-2015 and Sunderland was getting relegated, my fandom was shown the door. I still have a soft spot for them though.

Then from about 15-19, I couldn't find a team to root for. All the American stars came back to play in MLS. I kinda followed Michael Bradley at AS Roma but that was again just mainly checking box scores. Plus Serie A matches weren't shown. My soccer fandom was pretty much just FIFA Ultimate Team during this time period and I hardly watched live matches except for the 2-3 weeks before College Football season started.

Then in 2019 my sister-in-law married a friend of mine who I wasn't the closest with but was mainly a friend of a friend. Low and behold he was a huge Bayern Munich fan and convinced me to come with him to a watch party for a random match at a bar in Fort Worth. I was hooked. I left that bar and immediately purchased a scarf and kit. I have been locked in with Bayern ever since and have too much gear in my closet and I think this one is for good. The fan engagement is one of the best in the world and the history and tradition is pretty awesome.

For those that make fun of settling on one of the most successful teams in the world when I first started out by choosing clubs that were against the grain, well screw you. I am an Aggie and a DFW sports fan. I have had very little sports success since 2000 and dammit I like to be able to follow a team that wins *****
akm91
11:12a, 8/25/22
Pretty much follow EPL clubs with Americans but I'd say I'm a LFC fan mainly due to their style of play.
wangus12
11:20a, 8/25/22
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

I always assumed Aggies who root for Arsenal do so because they root for teams that always finish in 4th place.

I'm laughing and crying together right now. Really.
Nah it goes like this (why Arsenal are like the Aggies)

High preseason aspirations buoyed by decent starts to the season slowing giving way to some random loss (or run of form) in the middle of the year. Regain some confidence to start the back half of the year only the inevitably bottle it at the end of the year.

You can't tell me that isn't damn near every Aggie football season.
deadbq03
11:23a, 8/25/22
In reply to PatAg
PatAg said:

jeffk said:

As many have said, Americans supporting an EPL (or other Euro) club are T-shirt fans.

I would have no problem changing after a few years of a club heading in a different direction than I want them to. For example, I don't know where my limit is, but if Leipzig remains a selling club and never wins a title, I could see myself losing interest in a few years, because to be honest as much as I love following them, my tie to them is loose/fabricated.

As others have said, I don't really want to waste time watching mediocre/frustrating soccer. If it's not fun for long enough, I'm out. I'll spend my time elsewhere and I won't bat an eye.
Mathguy64
11:25a, 8/25/22
In reply to wangus12
Rooting for ManU is very Aggieish. Its rooting for the richest team full of overhyped expectations that falls flat on its face and loses more than once every year to an inferior opponent.
MAROON
11:32a, 8/25/22
I chose Man U years ago because my great grandfather was born in Eccles England which is on the west side of Manchester very near to Old Trafford. Still root for them but they've been a mess of late. I'm also becoming a fan of Fulham - mainly because that's my daughter's team (she lives in London). Going to visit her in a few weeks and going to the match vs Chelsea. My first EPL match.
jeffk
11:34a, 8/25/22
I just don't get why someone knowledgable in how Aggie fandom typically goes would get a free chance to pick another sports team and say "YES, GIVE ME MORE OF THAT!"
ChipFTAC01
11:40a, 8/25/22
In reply to Legal Custodian
Legal Custodian said:

Then I thought Peter Crouch was great for some reason, I guess mainly cause I saw him score once for English national team and he looked so tall and goofy out there. So I decided to follow Stoke City. That lasted one or maybe two seasons.

For some reason? It's because Crouchy is a damned National Treasure! Love the guy.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 12 of 74
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings