General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread
158,525 Views | 2562 Replies
KCup17
2:11p, 8/24/22
Speaking of... Tranmere just took a 1-0 lead against Newcastle in the League Cup.
Rudyjax
2:14p, 8/24/22
In reply to KCup17
KCup17 said:

Speaking of... Tranmere just took a 1-0 lead against Newcastle in the League Cup.
Came here just to post this.

I would love to see them hold on.
Rudyjax
2:14p, 8/24/22
ESPN isn't reading the writing not showing Leeds United.
KCup17
2:16p, 8/24/22
In reply to Rudyjax
I cannot echo your sentiments. Would be great if it were another team getting beaten by a minnow.

Newcastle tie it up 1-1.
ElCheAg
3:04p, 8/24/22
NUFC 2 -1
Rudyjax
3:06p, 8/24/22
Isn't Newcastle Steve Harris' team?
Forum Troll
3:20p, 8/24/22
How did you guys pick a team to root for or follow? Newer EPL fan here and I am following a lot more closely this season. Leeds seem interesting this season but it would suck to root for a team that gets relegated (probably no way for it to happen this season). At the same time, I don't want to really root for Man U as it's basically being a t-shirt Bama fan.
DeangeloVickers
3:27p, 8/24/22
In reply to Forum Troll
Forum Troll said:

How did you guys pick a team to root for or follow? Newer EPL fan here and I am following a lot more closely this season. Leeds seem interesting this season but it would suck to root for a team that gets relegated (probably no way for it to happen this season). At the same time, I don't want to really root for Man U as it's basically being a t-shirt Bama fan.
I literally used this article to decide…it's 2004ish so very outdated but some of it still holds water…maybe the only difference is instead of please don't be a ManU supporter…it's now please dont be a ManU or City supporter

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719

The renovated White Hart Lane is awesome and where NFL games in London are played

Rudyjax
3:28p, 8/24/22
In reply to Forum Troll
Forum Troll said:

I honestly subscribe to the Seinfeld theory.

I didn't grow up in England. I didn't grow up rooting for these teams. So it would make no sense for me to just pick a team.

So, i root for players.

I root for Chelsea when my son is playing for them. ( I adopted him but he doesnt' know it.)

I root for Fulham when Ream and Jedi are playing.

I root for Norwich City when Sargent is playing.

I root for Leeds becuase of the trio.

But, if I were to pick a team, I think it would be a team that is light in fans and isn't one of the big 10.

I'm thinking of going with Norwich as my main team, but that's just because.
Moe Jzyslak
3:36p, 8/24/22
In reply to Forum Troll
The correct answer is Brentford
Rudyjax
3:38p, 8/24/22
In reply to Moe Jzyslak
ScapeGOAT said:

The correct answer is Brentford
A london based team isn't a bad idea. Easier to go see play.
ElCheAg
3:41p, 8/24/22
In reply to Forum Troll
NUFC fan here. Primarily due to their fan support. Back when I decided to follow them, in the early 2000s, I was told that they had some of (if not) the best and rowdy fans in the league whether they finished high or low in the standings . Also 'cause i liked the simple black and white kits.
Thunder18
3:48p, 8/24/22
In reply to Forum Troll
Forum Troll said:

The t-shirt fan team is now Man City. Don't be that guy
Rudyjax
3:50p, 8/24/22
In reply to Thunder18
Thunder18 said:

Forum Troll said:

I actually have a co-worker that grew up and lives west of London who is a Man U fan.

Why?

He started following football in university and they were the top team then. LOL.

deadbq03
4:16p, 8/24/22
In reply to Forum Troll
Relegation isn't the worst thing in the world anymore thanks to ESPN+. You could still watch games if you fell in love with a team that got relegated.

I haven't picked an EPL team yet either but I'm certainly following Leeds a lot more closely than anyone else so it's honestly just a matter of time till I reach a point of no return and I'm emotionally invested.

I was an adult convert to soccer. Never watched a game on TV til the 2010 World Cup. Only watched major international competitions (WC or EURO) until 2016. At that point I realized I really liked soccer and wanted to pick a club. I chose Leipzig in the Bundesliga for two reasons: 1) High likelihood that I'll visit someday due to ancestral ties. 2) The fact that they were a brand new club was really appealing to me. Not many folks can say they've been a fan of their club since the first season they were promoted to top tier. (Yes their origin also makes the club an anathema, and I respect that sentiment, but it only dissuaded me briefly because they were also fun to watch.)

If you can't pick, then I'm with Ken - just watch games and enjoy it. Someday you might grow into being a fan of a specific club naturally and that might be the best way.
Forum Troll
4:39p, 8/24/22
In reply to deadbq03
Thanks all for the replies. Will continue to watch Leeds closely for now. The stomping of Chelsea last week and the Americans they have make them interesting.
wangus12
5:11p, 8/24/22
Just watch. You'll find yourself gravitate to one team or another for a variety of reasons. Uniforms, fans, style of play, certain players etc.
Dre_00
5:15p, 8/24/22
In reply to Forum Troll
Forum Troll said:

I gotta tell you. Unless you're English and have some deep rooted ties to the country, you will be the t-shirt Bama fan whether you pick Man U or Dulwich Hamlet.

Let's pretend there's such a thing as an "authentic " fan (there isn't). We're all fundamentally Americans choosing to follow a team that exists thousands of miles away and no matter what reason we delude ourselves with, there is nothing authentic about that. We're all just posers.
ptothemo
5:18p, 8/24/22
In reply to Dre_00
Yeah but but but the club I pose for is way better than the club you pose for. And I'm a more passionate poser who can justify my posing with all kinds of existential reason.

And my club is better.

So there.
Texaggie7nine
5:31p, 8/24/22
In reply to Thunder18
Thunder18 said:

Forum Troll said:

Hey I hopped on in 14 so I get to be more than a t-shirt.

Seriously though, City is a good team to jump into still. They don't have the elite history status of the Man U's, Arsenal, ect so you get to support a great team that will be great for years to come, but you won't be one of those stuck up "we have real history" types.
7nine
Rudyjax
6:07p, 8/24/22
In reply to Texaggie7nine
But you still chose a club.

I don't remember choosing the Cowboys just as my friend from London doesn't remember choosing to root for the Spurs. It' has and always has been.

Unless you have ties to that team or area or whatever, you're still a Walmart fan.
jeffk
6:27p, 8/24/22
If you're choosing a club now, you can easily steer clear of the sketchy state owned clubs and their sportswashing efforts.
jeffk
6:28p, 8/24/22
I cheer for LFC because Gerrard was the first English player I remember watching and cheering for.
OregonAggie
6:42p, 8/24/22
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

I cheer for LFC because Gerrard was the first English player I remember watching and cheering for.

Ian Rush and John Barnes we're the first Liverpool players I remember really liking, but Robbie Fowler is who made me an enormous fan. Been a fan for 30 years!

OregonAggie
6:48p, 8/24/22
In reply to Forum Troll
Forum Troll said:

Liverpool is the only answer hahahaha.

Watch a ton of games and see which teams you really like watching and also players. If I were picking a team now, Leeds would be a favorite because of the American ties.

My second favorite club is Southampton due to their style of play over the years. Coincidentally, or maybe not, many of their players have eventually signed with Liverpool over the years.
Cliff.Booth
7:18p, 8/24/22
Pick Crystal Palace.
gougler08
7:31p, 8/24/22
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

Thierry Henry was my favorite player so I support Arsenal, fairly simple for me too
texagbeliever
9:15p, 8/24/22
Figure out how you can "be a part of" the team. The big clubs outside of city all have active threads. You can use that to stay engaged on the latest team news and talk about tactics or complain etc. Maybe a bar close to your place hosts watch parties. Maybe you have some IRL friends who already support a club. You can either pick their team or pick their rival so that you can have banter.

Also by watching teams look for style of play. Generally clubs hire managers based on them bringing a style that fits the clubs brand. Not always but look at Leeds. They hired a manager similar to the one they sacked. Here is my take on styles:

Bruiser/Park the Bus Teams: Burnley, Sunderland. These teams are super boring and thankfully have fallen from the premier league.

Counter Attack Teams: BHA, Bournemouth, Watford, Crystal Palace. These are middle of the table teams that hope to score on counter attack and generally look to not possess lots of the ball. Crystal Palace is the most exciting as long as Zaha is engaged and there.

Open Game Teams: Wolves & Leeds. There will be goals and there will be chaos. Wolves has more possession, Leeds more chaos.

No Style Teams: Aston Villa, West Ham, Southampton. These teams don't really take a style to any game that jumps out at you. They normally get their points by beating bad teams but losing to good ones.

____Big Clubs____
Oil Money Clubs: Man City and Newcastle. Man City just buys the best players and the question is usually will De Bruyne stay healthy and will the team mold together well.

Chelsea: Is going to have to figure out how to stay a big club without Russian Oil money. Current coach is reason enough not to pick them.

Tottenham: They have been building a strong team. If you are an England fan they have Kane. If you are a South Korean fan they have Son. If you want to never see a team win a trophy they are your team.

Man U: Rebuild is in progress. I guess they are setup as counter attacking but that might be more of a lack of talent than preferred style.

Liverpool: Play an exciting pressing style when half their starters aren't out injured. They easily are in the top 2 in best 18 man roster when fully healthy.

Arsenal: (my team so bias) They have a young core of players who hopefully will be around for a few years that you will get use to seeing play. Arteta plays some unorthodox tactics that lead to imbalances which generally means goals (either for or against). Arsenal traditionally plays a flowing attacking style so Arteta fits in well there.
joemeister
9:24p, 8/24/22
I started watching Liverpool when I was in law school between 06 and 09 because a friend of mine liked them. I really started to follow the team when Luis Suarez was there. El Pistolero will probably always be my favorite player. He's like Johnny Manziel. You shake your head in disbelief at the things he pulled off, then you shake it again at the dumbassery.

Before I really got into the league, my two favorite teams were Liverpool and Everton simply because Tim Howard played for them. It's hard for me to not feel sorry for how far Everton have fallen since David Moyes took them to the Champion's League.

I recommend finding players you enjoy watching and use that as an excuse to watch many different teams. If you don't want to follow a big 6 club, Brighton, Southampton, and Aston Villa all play attacking style soccer so their games tend to have goals by both teams.
Mathguy64
9:28p, 8/24/22
Everyone here is probably counting Leeds as their second follow.
Texaggie7nine
9:49p, 8/24/22
I will say a big advantage of following a top 10 type team is that most of them make it over to the states for friendlies in the offseason.

I've gotten to see my team City her in Houston twice in 5 years.
7nine
Rudyjax
10:07p, 8/24/22
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

Everyone here is probably counting Leeds as their second follow.

With an American Manager and 2 Americans starting, they're my numero uno.

1. Leeds
2 2!d half of Chelsea as I root against them for the first half.
2a. Norwich.
2b FFC with ream and Jedi.
2c. Crystal Palace
heddleston
5:20a, 8/25/22
I'll echo what others have said, it doesn't matter what anyone says, you're gonna be a t-shirt fan. And watching soccer should be fun. Rooting for Everton doesn't somehow make me 'authentic', it just makes me sad. And hasn't A&M made you suffer enough? Would you ever recommend a newcomer to baseball become a Pittsburgh Pirates fan and not feel like a horrible human being afterwards?

Watch fun teams. look for players you like. Follow them and maybe you latch onto a team. Enjoy. If you wanna make a stand about oligarchs/billionaires/petro-states/american-deadbeat-owners/etc, go for it, but that also limits the amount of fun you're gonna have.
Dre_00
5:26a, 8/25/22
In reply to heddleston
heddleston said:

Rooting for Everton doesn't somehow make me 'authentic', it just makes me sad.

Did a spit take when I read that.
GIF Reactor
7:37a, 8/25/22
In reply to texagbeliever
texagbeliever said:

Tottenham: They have been building a strong team. If you are an England fan they have Kane. If you are a South Korean fan they have Son. If you want to never see a team win a trophy they are your team.

Your last sentence is partly why I chose Spurs to follow. Felt like the most Aggie-like team to me. By that I mean a nice stadium, good coach, haven't won anything in awhile. I had narrowed my choices down to London or nearby teams since I wanted to visit someday.

The intense rivalries are something that I think we as adopted fans can't quite fully invest in from so far away.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 11 of 74
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings