General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread
158,320 Views | 2557 Replies
jeffk
2:32p, 4/26/23
In reply to deadbq03
Yeah, all three games are on Peacock today.
Showstopper
3:18p, 4/26/23
Well that's probably just about that. Congrats to our sky blue overlords.
Dre_00
3:42p, 4/26/23
I'm not saying it's going to happen but there's a not insignificant chance that Frank Lampard is fired twice this season.
TXAggie2011
3:45p, 4/26/23
In reply to Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

I'm not saying it's going to happen but there's a not insignificant chance that Frank Lampard is fired twice this season.
You'd hate to see it
Dre_00
4:26p, 4/26/23
You know the one rule that everyone knows about soccer is that you can't use your hands but I'll be damned if I actually know what the hell is a hand ball and what isn't.

It's really just utterly ridiculous how inconsistent the rule is applied and well...I'm not even sure what the rule is anymore even though they just refined/clarified it before this season.
Aston94
4:38p, 4/26/23
In reply to Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

You know the one rule that everyone knows about soccer is that you can't use your hands but I'll be damned if I actually know what the hell is a hand ball and what isn't.

It's really just utterly ridiculous how inconsistent the rule is applied and well...I'm not even sure what the rule is anymore even though they just refined/clarified it before this season.
UEFA President on Men In Blazers just yesterday. Really amazing:

https://instagr.am/p/Crd2g6JuB2v
Dre_00
4:40p, 4/26/23
In reply to Aston94
I'm kinda ashamed to be in agreement with that guy if I'm honest.
TXAggie2011
4:55p, 4/26/23
How quickly does the PGMOL turn around their weekly apology lists these days? Gotta be getting efficient at if
Aston94
4:57p, 4/26/23
In reply to Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

The interesting part is in the interview he talks about having all these coaches in the room and they can't even agree on handball.
Furlock Bones
5:36p, 4/26/23
In reply to Dre_00
What's even worse is that handball is not called the same between the EPL and UCL. The EPL has their own interpretation different from UEFA.
Mathguy64
5:45p, 4/26/23
In reply to Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

That just get me closer to the correct O/U between Franks.
jeffk
7:03p, 4/26/23
In reply to Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

Same guy who said they're considering hosting CL matches in the US in the coming years.
deadbq03
5:31a, 4/27/23
Problem with the concept of handball is that there are so many situations where it's impossible to prove whether or not a player is intentionally using his hands.

So they change wording to "unnatural position" which is deeply ironic because the "unnatural position" that soccer players do most frequently with their arms is pin them behind their back to avoid accidental handball.

I agree with UEFA guy's take too. Just leave it to the ref on the field. What bothers me the most is seeing marginal calls get called one way or the other in the blink of an eye when they're outside the box, but then the exact same situations get the scrutiny of VAR in the box. And I'm largely a fan of VAR, but this is a case where standards change and things will get called on the field that don't get called in the box. At some point in all sports - but especially soccer - you just have to accept that officiating is part of the game - warts and all. Train refs better, pay refs better, and demote/fire bad ones.

Honestly I think better than addressing the rule itself, they need to make penalties less lopsided in favor of the shooter. I also like the idea of sin-bin or being able to substitute a red carded player. To me, those two things stand out in soccer as making officiating far too important.
Out in Left Field
8:35a, 4/27/23
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Honestly I think better than addressing the rule itself, they need to make penalties less lopsided in favor of the shooter. I also like the idea of sin-bin or being able to substitute a red carded player. To me, those two things stand out in soccer as making officiating far too important.

My crazy idea is have the fouled player take the pk or whoever shot it last, not some designated striker. And it must be taken from the spot of the foul if farther than 12 yards.
deadbq03
10:00a, 4/27/23
In reply to Out in Left Field
I like it, although I think that would require adding a 12 yard box to enforce, which for me would clutter things up visually. I'd like to see a spot kick from anywhere outside the existing 6 yard box… which would make a small minority of penalties even more likely to score, but would also be glorious entertainment if it happens at tight angles that turn into bang-bang 50-50 situations.

And man, I think the idea of having the person who got fouled take the kick ought to be applied to all fouls anywhere on the pitch, not just penalties. The notion that some CB could get fouled in a forward area (perhaps while on his way back into position from a set play) and then you get to use an outstanding attacking midfielder to kick on his behalf is making the punishment worse than the crime. The CB likely wasn't going to make a cross into the box or shoot direct, so if he's also lackluster at a freekick (and it's likely he would be) then the punishment fits the crime. And vice-versa as crossing ability correlates highly with ability to make a nice indirect free kick and ability to take long shots correlates highly with direct free kicks, so if a foul happened on a skilled player who would've been likely to make an attacking play, the free kick will also be dangerous.
Dre_00
12:33p, 4/27/23
I'm usually not too keen on the all the new ideas/rules to alter the game but I have to admit that every time I see a defender intentionally grab or tackle a player to stop a counterattack breakaway, I yearn for an orange card/sin bin situation.

It either changes the behavior of defenders so they can't be so cynical for being caught woefully out of position and leads to more end to end play, or it doesn't but we get 5 minutes of power play action and that sounds delightful.
Aston94
12:36p, 4/27/23
In reply to Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

I'm usually not too keen on the all the new ideas/rules to alter the game but I have to admit that every time I see a defender intentionally grab or tackle a player to stop a counterattack breakaway, I yearn for an orange card/sin bin situation.

It either changes the behavior of defenders so they can't be so cynical for being caught woefully out of position and leads to more end to end play, or it doesn't but we get 5 minutes of power play action and that sounds delightful.
It does seem like their needs to be some level of punishment between a "who cares" yellow card and a overly punitive red card.
carl spacklers hat
12:48p, 4/27/23
In reply to Aston94
Between your and Dre's ideas, I love it, and it makes some logical sense. Which means it will never happen. But an 11 on 10 for 3 or 5 minutes could be highly entertaining. And provide the appropriate disincentive to cynical fouls that are beyond yellow but don't reach red.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Furlock Bones
3:44p, 4/27/23
Newcastle on fire

DeangeloVickers
10:21p, 4/27/23
KCup17
11:50p, 4/27/23
In reply to DeangeloVickers
If his arms were longer he may have successfully pushed him off the pitch.
Ag Since 83
10:16a, 4/29/23
Brighton smoking Wolves at the moment.

I think it would be awesome for a season like theirs to be rewarded with a European place.

If they could manage that European place while losing to Arsenal and beating Man City, that would be even better.
Aston94
10:34a, 4/29/23
Forest up 1-0 in the 72nd minute. Would be a mammoth win if they can hold on.
59 South
11:49a, 4/29/23
Sorry Forest!

Furlock Bones
8:34a, 4/30/23
Haaland ties the epl scoring record at 34. Also his 50th in all comps.

Tim Ream goes off injured with his arm wrapped up in his jersey as a makeshift sling.
Dre_00
8:40a, 4/30/23
Patrick Bamford scored. I can only assume the statistician made an error.
Aston94
8:53a, 4/30/23
In reply to Dre_00
Well it was a can't miss header, and to his credit he finally made a can't miss shot.
Out in Left Field
10:36a, 4/30/23
Lol Spurs
Mathguy64
10:45a, 4/30/23
I wonder if Levy will offer to refund tickets to traveling supporters this week? Or sack another interim manager?
Texaggie7nine
10:46a, 4/30/23
Spurs gonna have to reimburse more tickets
7nine
gougler08
10:56a, 4/30/23
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

I wonder if Levy will offer to refund tickets to traveling supporters this week? Or sack another interim manager?

From the Guardian MBM:

Some Spurs fans have already buggered off. In the first quarter of their last two away games, Spurs have conceded nine goals. In 38 minutes.
Furlock Bones
10:56a, 4/30/23
Our United boys better not go to sleep. Liverpool is steaming forward. A stumble or 2 and they are breathing down our necks.
Mathguy64
11:05a, 4/30/23
Skipper the Tripper now plays for Spurs.

How that's ignored and not a yellow is behind me. It's red in most leagues around the world.
Mathguy64
12:10p, 4/30/23
And Pool evens up the count in the ungiven red card column after Jota channels his inner Mane and kicks Skipp in the face.
Mathguy64
12:22p, 4/30/23
That is so Spursy.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 45 of 74
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE