General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread
158,264 Views | 2557 Replies
jeffk
3:57p, 5/18/23
In reply to Mathguy64
I know! Pretty sucky.
Furlock Bones
11:11a, 5/20/23
Congrats Newcastle. Officially in Champions League. Liverpool can only tie on points and Newcastle have the superior goal diff.

Edit: Officially unofficial. Newcastle could theoretically get destroyed in the last games and lose their goal diff. But I'm going to say this does it.
Mathguy64
12:54p, 5/20/23
81% possession and losing 0-1.

Possession without penetration is masturbation.
jeffk
12:59p, 5/20/23
In reply to Furlock Bones
Don't congratulate them.
deadbq03
1:41p, 5/20/23
A crossover Bundesliga - EPL moment today:

Furlock Bones
1:48p, 5/20/23
We play the Arrrrrsenal way.

Teacher_Ag
2:23p, 5/20/23
Coming a close second to a team under investigation for many years of financial breaches which have allowed them to assemble an all-star team with depth, not a lot of shame in that. Wish we could have kept the race closer at the end but there isn't any denying that City have financed the best team by a mile.
jeffk
3:33p, 5/20/23
It's interesting which stories about City's titles/dynasty mention any of the investigations or funding controversies and which don't.
ElCheAg
4:31p, 5/20/23
In reply to Furlock Bones
DeangeloVickers
8:30p, 5/20/23
FILO505
9:45p, 5/20/23
In reply to DeangeloVickers
Does it really matter, though? The Super League idea hasn't been thrown in the bin, despite every ounce of hope from actual fans. International financial supremacy football will continue to allow money washing investors, and they are/will ruin everything
jeffk
10:33a, 5/21/23
Brighton secured a top seven finish today too.
Mathguy64
11:33a, 5/21/23
I don't know where he goes. I don't particularly care where he goes. But CP10 had to get off this club. The fact that he can't sniff the pitch in a meaningless match against a City team playing an 2nd team while Chelsea look looks like they don't care is damning.
Mathguy64
11:41a, 5/21/23
And Pep is proving he is willing to beat a dog that is lying maimed in the street.

He's now subbed on Cyborg, KDB and Rodri.
CrawlingNo5
12:04p, 5/21/23
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

And Pep is proving he is willing to beat a dog that is lying maimed in the street.

He's now subbed on Cyborg, KDB and Rodri.

Youplaytowinthegame.gif

Mathguy64
12:10p, 5/21/23
I just spit out my coffee.

Rebecca Lowe talking about City fans celebrating on the pitch: "they deserve it they have been there when the times were hard."

Yo Rebecca. I hate to break it to you. They haven't. No city fan was around when times were hard.
Ag Since 83
12:27p, 5/21/23
If Dortmund can win the Bundesliga there's still hope for the rest of us.

I think.
Showstopper
5:41p, 5/21/23
In reply to Ag Since 83
Ag Since 83 said:

If Dortmund can win the Bundesliga there's still hope for the rest of us.

I think.
I mean, I guess, but Chelsea couldn't beat the Man City JV team, so…
Texaggie7nine
9:18p, 5/21/23
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

I just spit out my coffee.

Rebecca Lowe talking about City fans celebrating on the pitch: "they deserve it they have been there when the times were hard."

Yo Rebecca. I hate to break it to you. They haven't. No city fan was around when times were hard.

There are 3 old timers in our Houston Space Citizens fro. UK who have been city fans all their lives.
7nine
Dre_00
1:42a, 5/22/23
In reply to Texaggie7nine
Out of....?

I guarantee you each of those old timers slagged off United fans in the 90s for being "plastic" and "tourists". Amazing how a couple of billion dollars can completely erase principles held for decades.
jeffk
6:00a, 5/22/23
It's cool. When the club eventually gets a slap on the wrist in like 2034, all the City fans will say, "that was like a millennia ago, has nothing to do with how successful we've been lately."
Texaggie7nine
6:23a, 5/22/23
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

It's cool. When the club eventually gets a slap on the wrist in like 2034, all the City fans will say, "that was like a millennia ago, has nothing to do with how successful we've been lately."

Who is going to say spending money has nothing to do with City's success. Nobody cares about the stupid spending rules made to protect the old money teams?
7nine
jeffk
6:44a, 5/22/23
In reply to Texaggie7nine
It's totally normal to be obtuse about the whole thing in your situation. Natural reaction really.
jeffk
7:50a, 5/22/23
Good read on the subject.

DeangeloVickers
9:03a, 5/22/23
deadbq03
9:21a, 5/22/23
The rules are the only way to keep state-ownership in check (assuming they actually get enforced).

A team like Barca can play money games in the short-term, but in the long run, they have to be solvent to survive. State-owned teams don't have to worry about that. That's the fundamental difference. It's an unequal playing field.

Even if City operated out of its own profits for a decade, the fact that they can always dip into the state coffers if they need to is what is unfair. They can spend without regard for long-term sustainability because their ownership is far more interested in political ROI than financial ROI.
GrapevineAg
3:55p, 5/22/23
Nothing surprising about Astros fans defending Man City's cheating.
Dre_00
3:59p, 5/22/23
Funny to see Newcastle players celebrate qualification for the Champions League. Not because they shouldn't celebrate (they absolutely should) but rather because at least 5 of the ones celebrating likely will be replaced and never actually play in the Champions League.
Texaggie7nine
6:46p, 5/22/23
In reply to deadbq03
Puleez. You think the Yankees ever have to cut back? Are they state owned?

I mean, maybe you would have an argument if City was doing terrible with a waining fan base and they still were making huge purchases. Of course the most successful team in the past 5 years is going to be big spenders.
7nine
Showstopper
8:41p, 5/22/23
Well there you go, guys, the City fan has done a thorough and unbiased audit of City's finances and determined all one hundred and however many violations are totally unfounded. I know I'll sleep better tonight.
ElCheAg
9:37p, 5/22/23
jeffk
4:17p, 5/24/23
Brighton secure 6th place.
Dre_00
4:25p, 5/24/23
That game was a lot of fun to watch considering one team had zero to play for. Brighton are just really enjoyable to watch. Still have no clue how Everton beat them 5-1 at home.
Dre_00
4:30p, 5/24/23
Pretty sure this math checks out...

Unai Emery was hired on November 1st when Villa was loitering around the relegation zone. Since then, Villa have secured 46 points or about 2 points a game. If one assumes the same PPG ratio across an entire season, Villa finishes in 3rd barely behind Arsenal.

The point is what Emery has done midseason with players he inherited, at a club that is not top 6, is phenomenal. I assume Arteta will likely get manager of the year...De Zerbi likely will get some votes. But Emery absolutely deserves some votes as well.

And Stevie G really sucked at Villa. I mean Frank Lampard levels of suck.
jeffk
6:37p, 5/24/23
In reply to Dre_00
Someone was saying that he'd basically ended any chance of Stevie G being given a head job next year and that's absolutely fair.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 50 of 74
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings