General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread
158,250 Views | 2557 Replies
TXAggie2011
3:50p, 9/8/22
If her funeral is in London the weekend of September 17/18, I think it will simply be very logistically difficult to have matches in town even if they want to play them.

Security/traffic/public transportation/etc. is going to be crazy pants
Big Shooter
Staff
7:04p, 9/8/22
In reply to Rudyjax
Ken Scarborough said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Aston94 said:

Man, canceling two weekends of matches would be very hard on the schedule makers. Yikes.
I feel bad for out of country people that paid for trips and tickets to go to England to watch their teams.
Almost everyone of my friends has had the EPL schedule change on them when planning a trip.
I was set to go to Tottenham-Arsenal last year before the gooners claimed "COVID-19 issues"
jeffk
5:42a, 9/9/22
Games this weekend are postponed.
Furlock Bones
6:28a, 9/9/22
In reply to Big Shooter
Big Shooter said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Aston94 said:

Man, canceling two weekends of matches would be very hard on the schedule makers. Yikes.
I feel bad for out of country people that paid for trips and tickets to go to England to watch their teams.
Almost everyone of my friends has had the EPL schedule change on them when planning a trip.
I was set to go to Tottenham-Arsenal last year before the gooners claimed "COVID-19 issues"

Yea that one was pathetic by arsenal. Covid issues aka injuries and afcon.
Aggies1322
7:07a, 9/9/22
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

How absurd.. a 90 something year old celebrity died. Could you imagine postponing a week of NFL games because Betty White died? Not to make light of her death, it just seems ridiculous.
Big Shooter
Staff
7:40a, 9/9/22
In reply to Aggies1322
Aggies1322 said:

jeffk said:

How absurd.. a 90 something year old celebrity died. Could you imagine postponing a week of NFL games because Betty White died? Not to make light of her death, it just seems ridiculous.

No, but I can imagine not holding Aggie Bonfire because a president was killed…

Obviously not an apples to apples comparison there, but I only used it to show that people mourn individuals of status that they've never met. Currently, that country is mourning. We can't relate, but it's a huge deal in the cultural fabric of their nation.
Aggies1322
7:43a, 9/9/22
In reply to Big Shooter
Big Shooter said:

Aggies1322 said:

jeffk said:

Obviously not an apples to apples comparison there, but I only used it to show that people mourn individuals of status that they've never met. Currently, that country is mourning. We can't relate, but it's a huge deal in the cultural fabric of their nation.

Yeah.. I mean, Aggie Bonfire is one thing. A business that drums up billions of dollars in revenue, is another. Idk.. again, it's like the NFL postponing a week of games for Betty Whites death.
Dre_00
7:46a, 9/9/22
In reply to Aggies1322
I agree but it's not surprising. The British Royal Family has managed to maintain an immense amount of relevance to millions disproportionate to what society has defined. It's quite weird to me for a number of reasons...too many to get into here.
Rudyjax
7:48a, 9/9/22
In reply to Aggies1322
Aggies1322 said:

Big Shooter said:

Aggies1322 said:

jeffk said:

Yeah.. I mean, Aggie Bonfire is one thing. A business that drums up billions of dollars in revenue, is another. Idk.. again, it's like the NFL postponing a week of games for Betty Whites death.
It's literally not. It's more like a president than a celebrity.

Aggies1322
7:52a, 9/9/22
In reply to Rudyjax
Ken Scarborough said:

Aggies1322 said:

Big Shooter said:

Aggies1322 said:

jeffk said:

It's literally not. It's more like a president than a celebrity.

The Royal family is literally just celebrity status. They have no bearing over national or international politics. So it's 'literally' closer to being a celebrity. Just because the Brits worship celebrities, doesn't make them politicians.
JJxvi
7:54a, 9/9/22
Betty White? Seriously just an old famous lady? Most people had barely seen Betty White for years. The Queen is a public figure. Her face is all over their money..
ChipFTAC01
8:01a, 9/9/22
The comments on this article are funny. The monarchists arguing with the anti-monarchists

https://theathletic.com/3579593/2022/09/09/football-calendar-queen-elizabeth/?source=user_shared_article
Rudyjax
8:02a, 9/9/22
In reply to Aggies1322
You can keep your strawman arguementd but it's clear you don't understand.
themissinglink
8:20a, 9/9/22
The Ukrainian Premier League continues while their country is literally a war zone, but an old, powerless monarch dies and all soccer fixtures are cancelled. Meanwhile, English Rugby and Cricket announced they would continue this weekend.

Ukrainian Premier League match halted four times by air raid sirens and takes over four hours to complete
jeffk
8:23a, 9/9/22
I want to welcome all of you apparent anti-monarchists as new Liverpool supporters.
Big Shooter
Staff
8:28a, 9/9/22
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

I want to welcome all of you apparent anti-monarchists as new Liverpool supporters.

jeffk
8:29a, 9/9/22
In reply to Big Shooter
What's the sense of having a code if you don't stick to it?
themissinglink
8:32a, 9/9/22
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

Us Celtic fans are already stereotyped as IRA-gunrunners, so being simply known as an anti-monarchist is a bit of a downgrade.
jeffk
8:34a, 9/9/22
In reply to themissinglink
Ha, yeah, touche. Someone was pointing out that the Liverpool-Rangers match coming up might be one to avoid if you're hoping for some touching royal tributes.
Rudyjax
8:37a, 9/9/22
Is it fair to say the further from London the more anti monarchist you are?
Ag Since 83
8:38a, 9/9/22
QE2 = Betty White could go in the Hall of Fame of bizarre TexAgs takes
Mathguy64
8:41a, 9/9/22
While I understand the cancellation it's going to be rough on the schedule because they will also have to cancel them next weekend for the funeral. London will all but be in lockdown with all the international dignitaries.

Maybe they will move the WC to the summer.
Furlock Bones
8:48a, 9/9/22
I guess I don't know the Liverpool anti-monarchy history. What's it about?
deadbq03
8:49a, 9/9/22
Whether or not the monarch should be stripped of all remaining political influence (which would need to simultaneously involve stripping the House of Lords of all influence/participation in government) is certainly a great question. We as Americans can certainly say the monarch ought to just be a celebrity, but to say the Queen actually was merely a celebrity is patently false. Legally, monarchs still have some influence, but they abstain from using it (in part because if they stick their necks out too far, it might be chopped off).

That said, I could fully respect stopping games on the day of the funeral, but two weeks of stoppage is overkill and irresponsible in light of what is already a tight schedule thanks to Qatar.
BenderRodriguez
8:50a, 9/9/22
In reply to themissinglink
themissinglink said:

jeffk said:

Us Celtic fans are already stereotyped as IRA-gunrunners, so being simply known as an anti-monarchist is a bit of a downgrade.

Both is good.
Furlock Bones
8:51a, 9/9/22
Lots of folks making a great point that the country isn't shutting down for 2 weeks so why are they shuttering football.
eiggA2002
9:13a, 9/9/22
In America we use sporting events to bring us together in tragic circumstances and it's one of the ways we corporately cope. September 11th is the obvious example. In the UK it's different. It's more traditional and ritualistic and based on respect and a period of public/private mourning. Nothing wrong with that. The influx of visitors to London in particular is a major issue for matches/security, etc. We're talking millions. Hell, they don't even allow ManU/City, Liverpool/Everton, and several others play at home the same weekend under normal circumstances.

Also, QE2 is not Betty White. She's the most well-known person on the planet over the last 100 years. We can all relax and sleep in this weekend. Let them mourn. It's not about us.

jeffk
9:13a, 9/9/22
In reply to Furlock Bones
Furlock Bones said:

I guess I don't know the Liverpool anti-monarchy history. What's it about?

It's an Irish-heavy area that's been oft neglected and even harmed by the monarch-led government. The supporters don't sing and often boo God Save the Queen when it's played at games.

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-liverpool-fans-boo-national-091306099.html?src=rss#:~:text=Liverpool%20fans'%20booing%20of%20the,disaster%20further%20entrenched%20those%20feelings.
KCup17
9:29a, 9/9/22
In reply to Rudyjax
Ken Scarborough said:

Yes. Hell Scotland wants to claim independency from the U.K.
Dre_00
9:38a, 9/9/22
Gotta change this thread title to Monarchy Discussion/Housery Thread until EPL games come back.
jeffk
9:45a, 9/9/22
In reply to Dre_00
****posting about the monarchy should count.
TXAggie2011
10:06a, 9/9/22
Here at Arsenal we claim the Queen as a supporter, so bugger off you chodes.
themissinglink
10:07a, 9/9/22
In reply to Rudyjax
Ken Scarborough said:

Generally yes, but not necessarily. In Scotland, fans in both Edinburgh and Glasgow are largely divided between Irish Catholics (Celtic, Hibernian) and Scottish unionists (Rangers, Hearts).

At last weeks Old Firm match, one section of Celtic fans held up a large tifo of a 1969 picture taken during the Troubles of a 13-year old in a gas mask holding a bomb while Rangers fans sung songs remembering a 1930s Protestant loyalist gangster. In Celtic park, you'll see fans waving the Irish tri-color flag and at Ibrox, the union jack.
Mathguy64
10:16a, 9/9/22
It looks like rugby and cricket leagues decided to play this weekend. And it looks like all of soccer throughout the pyramid are off.
deadbq03
10:46a, 9/9/22
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

It looks like rugby and cricket leagues decided to play this weekend. And it looks like all of soccer throughout the pyramid are off.
Based on what I can tell… and I'll gladly admit that I could be wrong… the crux of the issue is the combination of the fact that: a) Soccer is vastly more popular worldwide than either of those sports, and b) as the ongoing discussion shows, it's highly likely that if games were to continue, but have a moment of silence, etc, that there would be boo's and anti-monarchist chants during the moment of silence at many venues, with LFC being an especially visible example. It would be a high-profile event that puts a black-eye on the monarchy.

Not saying it's right at all, but that is the difference and it does make sense (if you want to preserve decorum and tradition, which Brits with money and power certainly would be largely predisposed to do).
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 20 of 74
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings