General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread
158,375 Views | 2557 Replies
KCup17
10:49a, 9/9/22
In reply to themissinglink
themissinglink said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Is it fair to say the further from London the more anti monarchist you are?
Generally yes, but not necessarily. In Scotland, fans in both Edinburgh and Glasgow are largely divided between Irish Catholics (Celtic, Hibernian) and Scottish unionists (Rangers, Hearts).

At last weeks Old Firm match, one section of Celtic fans held up a large tifo of a 1969 picture taken during the Troubles of a 13-year old in a gas mask holding a bomb while Rangers fans sung songs remembering a 1930s Protestant loyalist gangster. In Celtic park, you'll see fans waving the Irish tri-color flag and at Ibrox, the union jack.
The History behind Old Firm is unreal. This is worth the 45 mins if you have the time.

carl spacklers hat
11:03a, 9/9/22
In reply to eiggA2002
eiggA2002 said:

In America we use sporting events to bring us together in tragic circumstances and it's one of the ways we corporately cope. September 11th is the obvious example. In the UK it's different. It's more traditional and ritualistic and based on respect and a period of public/private mourning. Nothing wrong with that. The influx of visitors to London in particular is a major issue for matches/security, etc. We're talking millions. Hell, they don't even allow ManU/City, Liverpool/Everton, and several others play at home the same weekend under normal circumstances.

Also, QE2 is not Betty White. She's the most well-known person on the planet over the last 100 years. We can all relax and sleep in this weekend. Let them mourn. It's not about us.

There is nothing tragic about a 96-year old passing away of natural causes. Which I guess plays into the whole question around postponing sporting events for 2 weeks. Seems a bit overboard, even for the tradition-minded Brits.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Dre_00
11:13a, 9/9/22
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

****posting about the monarchy should count.
Only if you tie it to soccer by asking "I'm new to following the monarchy, which royal should I support?".
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
11:24a, 9/9/22
In reply to Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

jeffk said:

Only if you tie it to soccer by asking "I'm new to following the monarchy, which royal should I support?".
None of them is the only correct answer.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
jeffk
11:27a, 9/9/22
In reply to Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

jeffk said:

{Insert my thinkpiece about how Queen Latifah is most like A&M here}
Rudyjax
11:53a, 9/9/22
In reply to KCup17
KCup17 said:

themissinglink said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Is it fair to say the further from London the more anti monarchist you are?
Generally yes, but not necessarily. In Scotland, fans in both Edinburgh and Glasgow are largely divided between Irish Catholics (Celtic, Hibernian) and Scottish unionists (Rangers, Hearts).

At last weeks Old Firm match, one section of Celtic fans held up a large tifo of a 1969 picture taken during the Troubles of a 13-year old in a gas mask holding a bomb while Rangers fans sung songs remembering a 1930s Protestant loyalist gangster. In Celtic park, you'll see fans waving the Irish tri-color flag and at Ibrox, the union jack.
The History behind Old Firm is unreal. This is worth the 45 mins if you have the time.

My daughter plays for a club assoiciated with Celtic. Every year our kids have the opportunity with train with their academy and the girls get the opportunity to train with the women's team.

It's very clear not to wear Celtic gear unless you're in a group going to the match or on the grounds, but otherwise cover it up.
jeffk
11:54a, 9/9/22
Texaggie7nine
2:06p, 9/9/22
Good move by City

7nine
Dre_00
4:06a, 9/12/22
It appears there is a threat that EPL games will be forced to be canceled due to a lack of available police and a lack of TV production resources. Games in London aren't the only ones that will be affected.

https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-faces-new-problem-battles-fixtures-queen-death-funeral
Furlock Bones
6:51a, 9/12/22
In reply to Dre_00
Yep. This is why cancelling this past weekend was dumb and shortsighted. They already have a massively congested fixture list and anyone with a brain could have foreseen that the funeral weekend would cause major issues.
Aggies1322
7:15a, 9/12/22
In reply to Furlock Bones
Furlock Bones said:

Yep. This is why cancelling this past weekend was dumb and shortsighted. They already have a massively congested fixture list and anyone with a brain could have foreseen that the funeral weekend would cause major issues.

My question is why haven't they moved the non-Europe involved teams to midweek? That would surely free up some police for the games that have to be played on the weekend.
Furlock Bones
7:36a, 9/12/22
In reply to Aggies1322
Aggies1322 said:

Furlock Bones said:

My question is why haven't they moved the non-Europe involved teams to midweek? That would surely free up some police for the games that have to be played on the weekend.

Stop thinking logically. This is the queen we are talking about. The queen!!!!
Dre_00
8:31a, 9/12/22
In reply to Aggies1322
Aggies1322 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Even European games are being moved or postponed (Rangers game moved; Arsenal game postponed). That indicates that police staffing would be an issue even mid-week.

Also...this is a guess, but historically I don't think the EPL has often skewed the games played across teams unless they have to due to FA Cup/League Cup runs or the CWC. And even then, that only affects a couple of teams (or 1 team in the case of the CWC).

If, say, half the teams did move to mid-week, they would have 1 more game played than the rest of the league till 2023 at the earliest. I doubt that the EPL wants to invite the scrutiny that could come with that.
deadbq03
8:59a, 9/12/22
Furlock Bones said:

Liverpool having a home game this past week cinched it. They didn't want to see thousands acting like jack holes on worldwide TV during God Save the Queen and a minute of silence. And I'm not blaming LFC - but they'd have clearly been the most visible. It had already happened at the Hearts game in Scotland evidently. This is 100% about preserving the reputation of the monarchy.

I think it's all by design. They can use the shock as an excuse this past weekend, use the logistics as an excuse this weekend, and then they get two more weeks for things to cool off during the international break. Then it will no longer be "too soon" for whatever antics happen.
Rudyjax
10:55a, 9/12/22
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Liverpool having a home game this past week cinched it. They didn't want to see thousands acting like jack holes on worldwide TV during God Save the Queen and a minute of silence. And I'm not blaming LFC - but they'd have clearly been the most visible. It had already happened at the Hearts game in Scotland evidently. This is 100% about preserving the reputation of the monarchy.

I think it's all by design. They can use the shock as an excuse this past weekend, use the logistics as an excuse this weekend, and then they get two more weeks for things to cool off during the international break. Then it will no longer be "too soon" for whatever antics happen.
This makes sense.

Damn...and Chelsea is the big winner out of this.
jeffk
11:12a, 9/12/22
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Weeeeelllll hold onto your butts then, monarchists, because there's apparently still a CL match happening at Anfield tomorrow night.
Ag Since 83
11:18a, 9/12/22
They are not going to move games forward 3-4 days with just a couple days notice. That's a logistical nightmare even before you factor in the police/security challenges.
jeffk
11:38a, 9/12/22
Rudyjax
11:54a, 9/12/22
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

Why Man U?
Aston94
12:03p, 9/12/22
In reply to Rudyjax
Ken Scarborough said:

jeffk said:

Why Man U?
Was scheduled for Sunday, day of the funeral, and many of the police security detail from Manchester are needed in London for the services (per United website)
Rudyjax
12:16p, 9/12/22
In reply to Aston94
Aston94 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

jeffk said:

Why Man U?
Was scheduled for Sunday, day of the funeral, and many of the police security detail from Manchester are needed in London for the services (per United website)
Of course. TY
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
12:20p, 9/12/22
In reply to Aston94
The funeral is on Monday, right?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
akm91
12:25p, 9/12/22
In reply to Ghost of Andrew Eaton
I think so.
Dre_00
12:29p, 9/12/22
I could imagine that, given the rivalry, Manchester United/Leeds would need more police presence than the normal EPL game. That may have had an effect as well.
deadbq03
12:37p, 9/12/22
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

deadbq03 said:

Furlock Bones said:

Weeeeelllll hold onto your butts then, monarchists, because there's apparently still a CL match happening at Anfield tomorrow night.
The CL anthem takes care of part of the issue… Will they do a moment of silence? I'll have my popcorn ready.
gougler08
1:51p, 9/12/22
So without looking it up, why does Liverpool hate the queen / monarchy? I assume something from years ago?
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
2:10p, 9/12/22
In reply to gougler08
gougler08 said:

So without looking it up, why does Liverpool hate the queen / monarchy? I assume something from years ago?
I believe they have a large Irish population.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/why-do-liverpool-fans-boo-the-england-national-anthem/brksai15y4cw1vmddj2fbc6vz
BenderRodriguez
2:27p, 9/12/22
If the govt supported a false police narrative for decades despite massive evidence to the contrary that it was not their incompetence but "drunken hooliganism" by you and your mates that cost dozens of fellow fans their lives in a stadium disaster you'd have a pretty sour view of authority too.
deadbq03
2:39p, 9/12/22
In reply to Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Your article does cite the Irish population too, so you weren't wrong.
jeffk
3:18p, 9/12/22
Sure, it's the Irish thing but also the fact that the monarch-led govt actively tried to torpedo local industry and community. And yeah, Hillsborough too.

Scouse, not English!
joemeister
8:56a, 9/13/22
The hatred for the national government in Liverpool dates back to the authorization of the construction of the Manchester ship channel. It allowed Manchester merchants to bypass the port of Liverpool which caused a massive economic downturn in the city. Throw in Irish immigration and the government response to the Hillsborough disaster, and you have your answer.

This is a great article about the city and club by Wright Thompson:

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/26635541/liverpool-rising

MAROON
10:47a, 9/13/22
Furlock Bones said:

Yep. I'm in London and Saturday was just another day here. Now they have to cancel two weekends of matches. Made zero sense. And yes I'm bitter because I had match tickets. This weeks will be a **** show in the city. Coming from the Cotswolds right now and the A40 is getting ready to be shut down for the queens body to arrive later. Police everywhere
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Aston94
2:15p, 9/13/22
Last weekend should not have been cancelled. This weekend I understand, but last weekend made very little sense.
GIF Reactor
3:14p, 9/13/22
Can they not just extend the end date of the season 2 weeks to account for this postponement?
ptothemo
4:29p, 9/13/22
In reply to GIF Reactor
I don't have the full international schedule in front of me, but the summer UEFA/FIFA windows typically start very quickly after the domestic seasons are over. One domestic league getting pushed back would throw a wrench in all that.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 21 of 74
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings