General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread
158,477 Views | 2560 Replies
wangus12
7:10a, 11/17/23
The rule is if you are going to break FFP, you better make sure you still have enough money to make the FA look the other way like City do
DeangeloVickers
7:13a, 11/17/23
How do punish Man City now?
I mean it's all a joke

Sell a player to Saudi and you're back to normal.

Also, it's sheer incompetence by the board
jeffk
7:29a, 11/17/23
honestly, the league kind of stepped in it by punishing Ev. Now they have set a precedent other than "FFP rules are pretend."
FILO505
7:48a, 11/17/23
In reply to jeffk
City and Chelsea better get in the bunker. Artillery inbound

Oh wait... they're City and Chelsea. They'll be fine
Furlock Bones
7:49a, 11/17/23
In reply to FILO505
DeangeloVickers
7:54a, 11/17/23
Let's be thankful Everton is punished. When I think of financial fair play ...they are definitely the ones that need to suffer
Forum Troll
7:59a, 11/17/23
Man Abu Dhabi would laugh at a 10 point deduction and still make the top 4 and possibly win the league regardless.
wangus12
8:09a, 11/17/23
In reply to Forum Troll
Yeah but Everton got 10 pts for 1 violation. I believe City is on the line for 115 violations right now. 1150 point deduction. And since they've been doing it for over a decade, lets divide that by 10 so 115 pt deduction per year for the next 10 years. Put them all the way down into the Sunday Pub league in Manchester.
Aston94
8:11a, 11/17/23
You knew if someone was going to get a point deduction it was going to be Everton.
jeffk
8:52a, 11/17/23
In reply to Aston94
Aston94 said:

You knew if someone was going to get a point deduction it was going to be Everton.

Someone on twitter said this is the classic "NCAA is so mad about Ohio State's infractions that they're giving Old Dominion the death penalty" situation.
Texaggie7nine
8:56a, 11/17/23
The appeal will get it dropped. It's all just smoke n mirrors.
7nine
amercer
9:01a, 11/17/23
In reply to Texaggie7nine
Texaggie7nine said:

The appeal will get it dropped. It's all just smoke n mirrors.

First comment below the Washington Post article on this:

"I guess Texas A&M is glad to not be part of that league!"

Showstopper
10:58a, 11/17/23
That said… Everton are only 2 points from safety after the deduction. I can't recall a better year to have a deduction. If safety means you need to be 2 points better than Luton and 1 point better than Sheffield United over the rest of the year….

That's a pretty manageable ask.
Forum Troll
11:15a, 11/17/23
In reply to Showstopper
Showstopper said:

That said… Everton are only 2 points from safety after the deduction. I can't recall a better year to have a deduction. If safety means you need to be 2 points better than Luton and 1 point better than Sheffield United over the rest of the year….

That's a pretty manageable ask.

Yeah they should be fine, the 3 new teams are dreadful for the most part.
DeangeloVickers
7:08a, 11/18/23
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
9:56a, 12/3/23
Liverpool v. Fulham is insane.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
gougler08
9:59a, 12/3/23
I don't get VAR. Millimeter offside and you're screwed but demolish someone in the box on a header and they don't look at it for more than a couple seconds
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
10:01a, 12/3/23
In reply to gougler08
gougler08 said:

I don't get VAR. Millimeter offside and you're screwed but demolish someone in the box on a header and they don't look at it for more than a couple seconds

Which goal?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
gougler08
10:09a, 12/3/23
In reply to Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Newcastle vs Arsenal a couple weeks ago, the last one by Liverpool today, I'm sure there are more. VAR is just afraid to overturn the on field ref
gougler08
10:23a, 12/3/23
Toss in the PK that Chelsea got after not getting it called on the field. VAR is just all over the place
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
10:31a, 12/3/23
In reply to gougler08
gougler08 said:

Newcastle vs Arsenal a couple weeks ago, the last one by Liverpool today, I'm sure there are more. VAR is just afraid to overturn the on field ref

The Fulham player didn't have his hands on the Pool player. That's the major difference I saw.
Showstopper
12:32p, 12/3/23
I guess dissent yellows don't apply to City….
gougler08
12:35p, 12/3/23
In reply to Showstopper
They never do
Forum Troll
9:59a, 12/4/23
KCup17
10:39a, 12/4/23
In reply to Forum Troll
Hang it in the Louvre
Texaggie7nine
1:24p, 12/4/23
In reply to Forum Troll
That was pretty much my face as well when the refs screwed us over on that continuation.
7nine
oragator
3:06p, 12/4/23
All the guys who bailed for the Saudi league must be really enjoying themselves.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/saudi-pro-league-fan-attendance-31593197
jeffk
4:20p, 12/6/23
wild

texagbeliever
4:39p, 12/6/23
In reply to jeffk
No DeBruyne. No Rodri.

I think the City results show that most important City player is maybe Rodri 1A, DeBruyne 1B, Haaland 3.
ChipFTAC01
4:43p, 12/6/23
I sww an article this morning that since Haaland's 10 game goalapalooza to start the last season where he was something like 4x his xG, he's basically just been cruising along at his xG. Want to dig more into it.
deadbq03
4:53p, 12/6/23
In reply to ChipFTAC01
Yeah I always find it interesting when pundits praise teams/players for being efficient when they outscore their xG. That may be true in many cases, but it's also possible that they've just been enjoying a lucky streak and their scoring will revert to the mean.
gougler08
6:19p, 12/6/23
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Yeah I always find it interesting when pundits praise teams/players for being efficient when they outscore their xG. That may be true in many cases, but it's also possible that they've just been enjoying a lucky streak and their scoring will revert to the mean.

Almost everything reverts to the mean eventually in sports
jeffk
6:57p, 12/6/23
Also I think Villa is pretty good too.
_lefraud_
8:57p, 12/6/23
In reply to jeffk
Bailey was the best player out there today, especially the first half. Glad he was rewarded with a goal.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
9:50p, 12/6/23
https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/premier-league-table-2023-calendar-year-man-utd-liverpool-arsenal
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 63 of 74
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings