General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread
158,276 Views | 2557 Replies
Rudyjax
8:49a, 2/6/23
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

I'm torn. He seems like a heck of a good guy and players seem to gravitate to him.

But his tenure at Leipzig really bothered me (not surprising since that's the team I follow most). He was handed the keys to a Corvette and turned it into a Camry. And it wasn't just the change in tactics… our current coach is playing in many ways exactly like Marsch wanted to and succeeding. With both his Leipzig and Leeds teams there's a lack of a killer instinct. It's like A&M's 2011 team - you can tell there's talent and good tactics, and the teams ought to be winning way more than they do, they just can't seem to execute at critical times.

But that said, I honestly can't think of a better caretaker right now. He really is kind of the heir-apparent, and the timing is right. It's early in the cycle - give him a shot and see what happens. I'll cautiously hope for the best.
It breaks the unwritten rule that you can't have back to back players coaches. You need a hardass for this cycle.

Aston94
8:53a, 2/6/23
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

I'm torn. He seems like a heck of a good guy and players seem to gravitate to him.

But his tenure at Leipzig really bothered me (not surprising since that's the team I follow most). He was handed the keys to a Corvette and turned it into a Camry. And it wasn't just the change in tactics… our current coach is playing in many ways exactly like Marsch wanted to and succeeding. With both his Leipzig and Leeds teams there's a lack of a killer instinct. It's like A&M's 2011 team - you can tell there's talent and good tactics, and the teams ought to be winning way more than they do, they just can't seem to execute at critical times.

But that said, I honestly can't think of a better caretaker right now. He really is kind of the heir-apparent, and the timing is right. It's early in the cycle - give him a shot and see what happens. I'll cautiously hope for the best.

I watched just about every Leeds game of the Marsch era, and the one thing you cannot say is that the players didn't play hard for him.
Rudyjax
8:55a, 2/6/23
In reply to Aston94
Aston94 said:

deadbq03 said:

I watched just about every Leeds game of the Marsch era, and the one thing you cannot say is that the players didn't play hard for him.

They really did play hard.

Over their heads, if you ask me.

This may lead to relegation for them, I'm afraid. I hope not.
Ag Since 83
9:02a, 2/6/23
Here's hoping Adams, Aaronson, and McKennie still get playing time.

Weston probably should have gone somewhere else
DeangeloVickers
9:22a, 2/6/23
Weston needs to get healthy and in shape
deadbq03
9:23a, 2/6/23
Amen. It was a loan with option to buy which makes it a great move for him. Worst case, he gets to rest and train with two US teammates - and draw a nice paycheck in the process. I could think of worse fates.
jeffk
10:46a, 2/6/23
In reply to DeangeloVickers
DeangeloVickers said:

Weston needs to get healthy and in shape

Side note: Not saying he's not currently in tip-top shape, but I see the "he looks slow and out of shape" comment about him all the time. Even when his fitness is great and he was starting for Juve. Even when he was playing for our youth teams. I think Weston just has a little more ass than most EPL midfielders and it looks like he lumbers about instead of moving around gracefully like a lot of the other guys at his position. I, for one, respect our girthy 8.
JJxvi
1:04p, 2/6/23
Leeds should hire the English/Belgian guy for Reims who doesnt have a UEFAPro license (but also never loses) that apparently got into the game by playing Football Manager…
Rudyjax
1:09p, 2/6/23
In reply to jeffk
He said girth

?w=2044&h=1440&crop=1
deadbq03
2:52p, 2/6/23
In reply to JJxvi
I had to look that up. Unbelievable story!

I bet half the guys on this board have a better playing career than him.

For those like me who've never heard this yet here's the best quick story I could find that's not ravaged by British media ads… it's Australian so the dollar conversion is wacky, but otherwise, it's an unbelievable tale. https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/ligue-1/from-u14s-and-computer-games-to-messi-in-10-years-and-why-this-coach-is-fined-39k-a-game/news-story/44d27a56774a44e53dcfff5b7a344a94
ChipFTAC01
9:14a, 2/7/23
I'm kind of over Men in Blazers (and it feels like Davo is getting there too) but the John Oliver special is always a must listen.

Funny quote that had my chuckling last night. "I really want to hear a conversation between Pep and Jack Grealish. Pep's playing checkers and Greals is playing Hungry, Hungry Hippos."
Out in Left Field
3:18p, 2/8/23
If only Jesse Marsch could have survived Forest to see this game
texagbeliever
3:25p, 2/8/23
In reply to Out in Left Field
A good press against a side with Fred and Sabitzer holding the midfield is going to create chances.
Rudyjax
3:32p, 2/8/23
In reply to Out in Left Field
Out in Left Field said:

If only Jesse Marsch could have survived Forest to see this game

Pretty sure he's watching it at Whitelocks Ale Hiuse.
Out in Left Field
3:35p, 2/8/23
Whoops
Furlock Bones
8:09a, 2/11/23
Chelski drawing with west sham. Lulz.
Furlock Bones
8:16a, 2/11/23
West sham now winning.
Furlock Bones
8:21a, 2/11/23
Never mind. Offside. Took entirely too long to determine.
JJxvi
8:26a, 2/11/23
I guess English referees don't know the rules anymore than their fans.
Dre_00
8:28a, 2/11/23
That handball had to be the easiest VAR review and reversal in VAR history and they didn't even look at it.
Ag Since 83
8:31a, 2/11/23
I don't know, what else is he supposed to do with his hand while going to ground to block a shot?
JJxvi
8:35a, 2/11/23
The supporting arm natural position thing is a nice idea, but referees just can't be trusted to do any kind of thinking about a rule like that. **** the defenders slide tackling in the box, if it hits your supporting hand away from your body, then tough ***** Sucks for you.
JJxvi
8:36a, 2/11/23
In reply to Ag Since 83
Ag Since 83 said:

I don't know, what else is he supposed to do with his hand while going to ground to block a shot?
Diving forward onto the ball like is not what that rule envisions.
Dre_00
8:39a, 2/11/23
In reply to Ag Since 83
Ag Since 83 said:

Hand is clearly away from his body if you ask me. He doesn't block that shot if it doesn't hit his hand. It's a handball in the same way that Torsten Frings was. Or should've been.
Furlock Bones
8:43a, 2/11/23
In reply to Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

Ag Since 83 said:

Hand is clearly away from his body if you ask me. He doesn't block that shot if it doesn't hit his hand. It's a handball in the same way that Torsten Frings was. Or should've been.

Stop triggering me with Torsten talk.
Mathguy64
9:50a, 2/11/23
Spurs being Spursy
Dre_00
10:30a, 2/11/23
In reply to Mathguy64
At this point Brighton is a bigger threat for top 4. Much bigger.
JJxvi
10:37a, 2/11/23
Chelsea should sign their manager and all their players
Mathguy64
10:39a, 2/11/23
In reply to Ag Since 83
Ag Since 83 said:

Not put his hand down at all? That's not a support arm. He literally put it down to intentionally block that shot IMHO. He knew what he was doing.
JJxvi
10:43a, 2/11/23
KCup17
11:07a, 2/11/23
Spuds are a poverty club. Beat Man City one week and then get thrashed by Leicester the next. It's crazy.
Furlock Bones
11:12a, 2/11/23
I'm amazed that Brentford has been able to keep up this level. Often times teams come up especially teams that haven't been in the top league for a long time and they surprise the first season. But fall back after that. Brentford has been really good.
Ag Since 83
11:19a, 2/11/23
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

Ag Since 83 said:

Not put his hand down at all? That's not a support arm. He literally put it down to intentionally block that shot IMHO. He knew what he was doing.
"IMHO" implies it might not be clear and obvious.

It looked like he was trying to get his leg to the ground so he could block a shot anywhere from his toe to his knee. His arm has to go somewhere.
Mathguy64
11:29a, 2/11/23
In reply to Ag Since 83
He put it down in the path after the ball was kicked. And you can see it in his eyes. He was watching it. This was deliberate. And he got away with it.
Mathguy64
12:57p, 2/11/23
Dan Burn for Newcastle is getting away with murder. Being tall isn't an excuse for being clumsy or beaten and fouling.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 33 of 74
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings