General EPL Discussion/Housery Thread
158,318 Views | 2557 Replies
KCup17
7:52p, 2/3/24
This Mbappe saga is worst than a daytime soap opera.
jeffk
7:50a, 2/4/24
In reply to KCup17
KCup17 said:

This Mbappe saga is worst than a daytime soap opera.

I don't disagree, but at this point it's soap opera reruns. We've all seen this show before.
GIF Reactor
9:22a, 2/4/24
gougler08
11:37a, 2/4/24
Chelsea
DeangeloVickers
1:35p, 2/4/24
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
1:46p, 2/4/24
I did like the cut of the pitch at the Emirates today.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
jeffk
1:12p, 2/5/24
Wild that Brentford was the only team to beat City twice last season. Can they do it again today?
jeffk
3:47p, 2/5/24
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

Wild that Brentford was the only team to beat City twice last season. Can they do it again today?

Got Foden-ed.
KCup17
10:05a, 2/7/24
In reply to jeffk
I still think about how terrible his gun celebration was
ChipFTAC01
10:57a, 2/7/24
Read this morning that Enzo and Mudryk want out at Chelsea. I guess they didn't think they'd be playing for a bottom half team.
wangus12
12:44p, 2/7/24
In reply to ChipFTAC01
Shouldn't have signed an 8 year deal lol, especially Mudryk. I can see someone coming in an shelling out for Enzo. I don't see anyway Mudryk gets teams to come in and pay a quarter of what Chelsea did for him. He's been terrible.
gougler08
12:59p, 2/7/24
Definitely a blessing in disguise when Chelsea swooped in for Mudryk
jeffk
8:04a, 2/10/24
Alas, the greater cheaters are now beating the lesser cheaters.
Mathguy64
9:27a, 2/11/24
WHU have gone into full on don't care anymore mode. It will be 3 straight hours of Tom Rennie whining tomorrow.

ETA. Well I was wrong. NOW they are in full on don't give a rats ass mode.
jeffk
11:48a, 2/11/24
In reply to Mathguy64
Yeah, that was shameful.
Showstopper
9:35a, 2/15/24
Furlock Bones
10:49a, 2/15/24
Mbappe has informed PSG ownership he will leave this summer. Real Madrid obviously working hard to sign him.
Forum Troll
10:51a, 2/15/24

Mbappe to Spurs confirmed. Wants to play for big Ange obviously
Aston94
11:06a, 2/15/24
What does it mean that he has yet to"to fill his commitments to the club"? Does his contract run out or not?
heddleston
11:41a, 2/15/24
I'm assuming they're just saying he can't leave now or he'd be in breach of contract. Weird wording, but free agency isn't as common over there so I dunno.
Out in Left Field
11:55a, 2/15/24
MLS baby!

Can he do it on a cold night in Columbus?
Mathguy64
11:59a, 2/15/24
Kylian M'bappe has told PSG he's leaving at the end of the year.

Again. And again. And again. It's like a tape loop in a VCR. Death. Taxes. And Kylian M'bappe telling PSG he wants to leave.
Furlock Bones
12:10p, 2/15/24
Interesting approach from Real Madrid.

deadbq03
12:28p, 2/15/24
In reply to Furlock Bones
Madrid can't afford him otherwise with La Liga's FFP rules.

Regarding the terms - it has to do with his loyalty bonus. This would be the "obligations."

Another term to negotiate is remaining salary. The important thing to remember with free agents is that they still legally have to be with their old club until the contract expires (July 1 in this case)… many players want to say "F that I'm out as soon as the last game is done" in which case they have to negotiate how much of that last few weeks of salary the player gets. I've seen a few situations over the years where a club basically makes a player come back to camp because they wouldn't agree to lesser salary to leave early (or rather, their new club wouldn't pay to let them come to their camp before the contract expires).
Furlock Bones
12:41p, 2/15/24
In reply to deadbq03
I have little doubt Florentino Perez will find a way to get this done. His track record with big signings is nearly peerless.

I had heard about the loyalty bonus. Supposedly Mbappe has said he will forego the bonus as a gesture of goodwill towards the club.

Showstopper
1:35p, 2/15/24
Yeah no one kid yourself with this "Real Madrid can't afford him" stuff… he's going to Real Madrid. All the "in the know" guys are talking about how the negotiations are going with Real Madrid. Who else would it be? Also, where could he go that would pay big money and provide the best platform to win a balon d'or and Champions League?

So yeah, probably City. #makeit116
Furlock Bones
2:15p, 2/15/24
In reply to Showstopper
Showstopper said:

So yeah, probably City. #makeit116

Big fax.
deadbq03
4:14p, 2/15/24
In reply to Showstopper
My statement wasn't absolute… Madrid can't currently afford him in the FFP budget if he doesn't take a salary cut (or unless they release other players). That's the current reality. If Perez finds creative ways to get the rules bent/ignored, and/or if he finds creative ways to compensate in ways that are off the books, so be it.

But he probably doesn't even need to bother.

According to Fabrizio there will be a salary cut, and he claims Mbappe is making this move for trophies/prestige, not for money (though he'll still get paid handsomely, of course).
deadbq03
4:16p, 2/15/24
But honestly I can't help but think that he's once again just using RM to milk more money out of PSG.

Or yeah, City.
joemeister
7:59a, 2/16/24
So long as City has Pep, they don't need and won't sign players like Mbappe. Once he leaves and they are forced to use a non-genius manager, I'm guessing they will start playing the galactico game again. I say that knowing City have the most expensive team in the EPL and players like Haaland. Their strategy has tended more toward a complete squad rather than signing the biggest names out there. IMO, Mbappe will only end up playing for 2 clubs in his prime, RM for the prestige or PSG for the money. I could see him moving somewhere like Man U for a payday late in his career.
deadbq03
10:18a, 2/16/24
In other breaking news: water is wet:

Furlock Bones
10:26a, 2/16/24
In reply to deadbq03
Until Real Madrid comes calling.
deadbq03
10:53a, 2/16/24
In reply to Furlock Bones
Yeah no doubt. Amongst the 3 high-profile clubs he played for, the pecking order seems pretty obvious - at least right now. Bayern's front office has been a trainwreck for a few years; perhaps since Hoeness left.
Furlock Bones
10:52a, 2/17/24
Wolves have outplayed Spurs all match. Hope they hold on.
Furlock Bones
10:59a, 2/17/24
Wolves finished the job. If Man United can take all 3 points at Luton, the door will start creeping open for top 4.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 66 of 74
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings