Wrexham AFC
41,320 Views | 564 Replies
wangus12
8:48p, 4/25/23
In reply to Aston94
Salary caps probably still a ways away. Gonna be a lot of push back when they try to pass that
Dre_00
12:24a, 4/26/23
In reply to AgGrad99
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/soccer/news/wrexham-stadium-name-capacity-where-ryan-reynolds-club-plays/uc5thxxgrr3izzdf5gtha9qy

$100 million for the renovation of the stadium and surrounding areas but it looks like 75% is coming from public funding.
carl spacklers hat
8:58a, 4/26/23
In reply to Aston94
Aston94 said:

carl spacklers hat said:

What are you talking about? Its perfectly normal to imagine a 5th division, small-town team making it to the EPL and someday selling for a cool billion!
Again, how many 5th division teams could you name before learning Wrexham's story? How many players on 5th division teams did you know the name of? How many 5th division teams are playing Chelsea and Man United in sold out friendlies in the US this summer? How many 5th division teams have more twitter and tik tok follows than most EPL clubs?

Can we get away from thinking this is at all "normal"?
The "normal" was a sarcastic comment referring to the mental gymnastics it takes to envision a Welsh 5th Division team realizing a billion dollar valuation.

I get that the Wrexham scenario is unique and an outlier due to the high visibility and recognition of the owners. Pairing their acquisition of the Club with a TV program was brilliant, no doubt. And the advertising doors that are opened to Wrexham thanks to Reynolds and McElhenney are unique to them and the Club. I understand all of that.

What seems to be discounted in this discussion is just how challenging it is to run a profitable soccer club, and just how hard it is to win promotion. A couple of injuries here or there, a bad coaching hire, poor front office management, etc, etc, all present challenges to a Club's success. I'm saying that for them to achieve even a $100 million sale would be incredible. Thinking it can sell for 10 times that? Crazy talk. Entertaining to think about, though, and a fun conversation to be had!
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
deadbq03
7:12a, 4/28/23
I'm sure what to think about their push to bring Bale out of retirement. Not sure if they're serious. Not sure it's a good idea from a soccer perspective. But it does fit the theme I discussed earlier… they're making Wrexham = Wales, which is a great business move.

AgRyan04
12:09p, 4/28/23
In reply to deadbq03
I think that would be awesome
walton91
3:49p, 4/29/23
Draw today to finish at 111 points
walton91
4:56p, 5/1/23
New date for the US tour, Los Angeles. I believe they will be announcing one more date.
AgRyan04
7:09p, 5/1/23
COME TO AUSTIN!
deadbq03
8:55p, 5/1/23
Or Dallas. And don't play a friggin reserve team.
carl spacklers hat
9:57p, 5/1/23
In reply to walton91
walton91 said:

New date for the US tour, Los Angeles. I believe they will be announcing one more date.

Why are they playing a USL team?
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
walton91
1:14p, 5/2/23
Parade Day

oragator
8:25a, 5/5/23
https://www.espnfc.com/wrexham/story/4940888/wrexham-to-play-us-women-in-7x7-tournament-in-june

Gonna play the women 7v7
AgRyan04
9:01a, 5/5/23
In reply to oragator
Interesting

I don't think that is our USWNT....seems more like a charity event if Heather O'Reilly is playing. She retired from international play years ago - probably about the same time Wambach did....she's got to be close to 40 yo now (she was at UNC when they played A&M when I was in school)

EDIT: Yeah, I just read the full article. 100% a charity event. Mia Hamm and Chad Ocho Cinco are playing too.
jeffk
9:09a, 5/5/23
In reply to AgRyan04
Yeah, some older USMNT players are on a team too. It was mentioned in the Brek Shea retirement article a day or two ago.
planoaggie123
9:22a, 5/7/23
Wow that Notts game. 3 to 2 in extra. Scored last minute of regular and extra time.

With their performance this year hard not to want to see them promote.
_lefraud_
2:38p, 5/7/23
In reply to AgRyan04
It's not a charity, it's an actual tournament that is winner take all for $1,000,000. It's mimicked after "The Basketball Tournament" that started several years ago, where teams are handpicked to compete for $1,000,000 prize.
deadbq03
1:22p, 5/12/23

I've also seen rumors that Rob and Ryan will attend the game to support Notts.

I have a feeling Notts will get a lot of airtime in the next season… and that's how they can pretty much always keep this thing fresh moving forward. Keep telling the peripheral stories that add color to Wrexham's story.
Faustus
2:00p, 5/12/23
Wrexham's captain thinks they will be there.

https://prideofnottingham.co.uk/articles/news/notts-county-earns-support-from-hollywood-star-ryan-reynolds-who-aims-to-show-support-in-promotion-bid-r3214/

Quote:

Wrexham's co-owners Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney will be travelling to Wembley to support their National League rivals Notts County in the play-off final, according to the club's captain.
. . .
"Rob who was out there with us, he took the time to stay up to watch the games. In fact, I believe him and Ryan are flying over to watch the game on Saturday. That's something they want to honour. We are genuinely all rooting for Notts County because of the way they pushed us this season, and we think they're the ones who deserve it."
. . .

Teddy Perkins
8:57a, 5/13/23
Any tricks to watching this match?
walton91
10:21a, 5/13/23
Chesterfield up 1-0 at halftime
walton91
11:36a, 5/13/23
Notts tied it at 1-1 in the 88' minute. Now 2-1 Chesterfield, into extra time
Teddy Perkins
12:00p, 5/13/23
Notts tied it back up! Damn I wish I could watch this game!
Teddy Perkins
12:24p, 5/13/23
Notts WON! went to penalties. Nuts!
AgRyan04
12:55p, 5/13/23
planoaggie123
3:18p, 5/13/23
Glad that Notts won. Too good of a season to not have promoted.
Faustus
10:52a, 5/17/23
Article delves into the some of the issues raised a couple of pages ago regarding club valuation, and the unique situation Wrexham is in as far as exposure.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wrexham-now-worth-300-more-165831575.html

Quote:

. . .
Wrexham have recently been crowned National League champions, and research conducted by investment bank Saxo has revealed that Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney's initial 2 million purchase of the Welsh side has tripled in value after reaching League Two.

The Hollywood actors purchased Wrexham in November 2020, and have since raised the club's profile through sponsorship deals with TikTok, Expedia, Aviation American Gin, Vistaprint and its own Disney+ docuseries, called Welcome to Wrexham.

It is here where Saxo Bank's head of marketing, Anaam Raza, highlights the true monetary success lies for the co-owners.

"After debuting on FX in the States in August 2022, Welcome to Wrexham received a 97% audience score and was immediately signed for a second season," Raza said. "The club would have made roughly 321,000 per hour of content for the eight-part series which equates to around 2.57 million.

"Following promotion, Wrexham's social media accounts have been supercharged. Since the takeover, their Twitter following has grown by 1,040%, their Instagram following has increased by 3,111% and they have gone from no followers on TikTok to 1.2 million.

"The number of fans buying season tickets has nearly tripled. However, the club's global reach is perhaps the most impressive success; ESPN revealed their FA Cup second round viewing figures increased by 858% as a direct result of showcasing Wrexham - meaning around 100 million households will have watched the Red Dragons this season."

Saxo Bank also believes Reynolds and McElhenney could sanction a sale of Wrexham worth over 8 million - a 300 per cent increase on their initial investment based on the trajectory and worldwide notoriety of the club.

Earning approximately 1 million prize money alone from winning the National League, Wrexham have since announced pre-season fixtures in the United States against Los Angeles Galaxy, Chelsea and Manchester United..
. . .
Raza continued: "If we were talking about the valuation of a 'normal company', you would do a discounted cash-flow analysis, where you estimate future cash flows and discount the cost of capital.

"But most football clubs are not run like normal companies - their revenues are inconsistent and they make losses. It doesn't reflect the intrinsic quality of clubs as community assets and Wrexham AFC's growing commercial revenue mean the club is nowhere near the ceiling of their potential just yet."
carl spacklers hat
1:58p, 5/17/23
In reply to Faustus
Faustus said:

Article delves into the some of the issues raised a couple of pages ago regarding club valuation, and the unique situation Wrexham is in as far as exposure.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wrexham-now-worth-300-more-165831575.html

Quote:

. . .
Wrexham have recently been crowned National League champions, and research conducted by investment bank Saxo has revealed that Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney's initial 2 million purchase of the Welsh side has tripled in value after reaching League Two.

The Hollywood actors purchased Wrexham in November 2020, and have since raised the club's profile through sponsorship deals with TikTok, Expedia, Aviation American Gin, Vistaprint and its own Disney+ docuseries, called Welcome to Wrexham.

It is here where Saxo Bank's head of marketing, Anaam Raza, highlights the true monetary success lies for the co-owners.

"After debuting on FX in the States in August 2022, Welcome to Wrexham received a 97% audience score and was immediately signed for a second season," Raza said. "The club would have made roughly 321,000 per hour of content for the eight-part series which equates to around 2.57 million.

"Following promotion, Wrexham's social media accounts have been supercharged. Since the takeover, their Twitter following has grown by 1,040%, their Instagram following has increased by 3,111% and they have gone from no followers on TikTok to 1.2 million.

"The number of fans buying season tickets has nearly tripled. However, the club's global reach is perhaps the most impressive success; ESPN revealed their FA Cup second round viewing figures increased by 858% as a direct result of showcasing Wrexham - meaning around 100 million households will have watched the Red Dragons this season."

Saxo Bank also believes Reynolds and McElhenney could sanction a sale of Wrexham worth over 8 million - a 300 per cent increase on their initial investment based on the trajectory and worldwide notoriety of the club.

Earning approximately 1 million prize money alone from winning the National League, Wrexham have since announced pre-season fixtures in the United States against Los Angeles Galaxy, Chelsea and Manchester United..
. . .
Raza continued: "If we were talking about the valuation of a 'normal company', you would do a discounted cash-flow analysis, where you estimate future cash flows and discount the cost of capital.

"But most football clubs are not run like normal companies - their revenues are inconsistent and they make losses. It doesn't reflect the intrinsic quality of clubs as community assets and Wrexham AFC's growing commercial revenue mean the club is nowhere near the ceiling of their potential just yet."

There's the cold shot of reality bolded for the Billion Dollar Club folks.
deadbq03
2:47p, 5/18/23
In reply to carl spacklers hat
Just curious… how much do you think they'd get right now if they went public with just 40% of the company?

North or south of $3.2MM (40% of $8MM)?
North or south of $8MM itself?

To me it easily clears the first and likely clears the second. It'd be an instant meme stock. But only if Ryan and Rob stay on board as controlling owners.

The $8MM valuation might be generous if some traditional soccer owner buys them completely out. The value of Wrexham right now isn't Wrexham. It's having Ryan and Rob as highly popular catalysts for potential growth.
carl spacklers hat
4:16p, 5/18/23
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Just curious… how much do you think they'd get right now if they went public with just 40% of the company?

North or south of $3.2MM (40% of $8MM)?
North or south of $8MM itself?

To me it easily clears the first and likely clears the second. It'd be an instant meme stock. But only if Ryan and Rob stay on board as controlling owners.

The $8MM valuation might be generous if some traditional soccer owner buys them completely out. The value of Wrexham right now isn't Wrexham. It's having Ryan and Rob as highly popular catalysts for potential growth.
Lots of ifs in your post.

Regarding the rest of your post, to answer, I don't know. I'm not sure being classified as a Meme Stock is really a great thing. I'm extremely confident it won't be for a cool billion, and it won't be for even one tenth of that, for the foreseeable future. Suckers overpay for businesses all the time so I'm not going to discount some fool parting with their money on a potential bauble like Wrexham FC (if they can sustain a level of success; there's that word again - if) but these valuations being tossed around are ridiculous. See the Top 50 Most Valuable Clubs on the Pro/Rel thread. There are 15 clubs worldwide that rate a $1 billion valuation or higher. Then again, that list includes 18 MLS franchises so maybe Wrexham could break into the billion dollar club. ;-)
walton91
10:20p, 5/29/23
So it can be done. In 2013 Luton Town played in the National League, and they just won promotion to the Premier League.

Kenilworth Road is, um, rather close to the surrounding neighborhood
BQ_90
10:28a, 5/30/23
In reply to walton91
so jump out of your bedroom window and boom you are in your seat
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
10:47a, 5/30/23
In reply to walton91
walton91 said:

So it can be done. In 2013 Luton Town played in the National League, and they just won promotion to the Premier League.

Kenilworth Road is, um, rather close to the surrounding neighborhood

One big difference though is Luton Town has been in the top flight previously and was consistently in the 2nd or 3rd tiers for most of their history. They were almost a founding member of the Premier League in 92 but were relegated in the last day of the previous season. Obviously they had a rough go of it the last decade or so and plummeted to the 5th tier but have been on their way back.

Wrexham has never been that, outside of a brief stint in the 2nd division decades ago. They have almost always been in the 3rd or 4th tier.

Still crazy to think about though
ThunderCougarFalconBird
8:50p, 5/30/23
In reply to carl spacklers hat
MAROON
1:49p, 5/31/23
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/want-to-visit-the-epl-s-newest-stadium-you-ll-have-to-go-through-someone-s-backyard-20230529-p5dc13.html

108 Oak Rd - Google Maps
walton91
11:25a, 6/12/23
Summer tour, Philadelphia date added

Plus new kit sponsor

Plus Ben Foster returning
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 12 of 17