Wrexham AFC
41,332 Views | 564 Replies
Rudyjax
6:43p, 8/5/23
In reply to aggiephoenix02
aggiephoenix02 said:

Inca said:

I think 2 months. Broken ribs in addition to the punctured lung. Obviously punctured lung is why he has not been able to fly home.
They (the hometown fans), will figured out a way to work that into his legend…

Dirty ass play by the Man U keeper.
Rudyjax
8:04p, 8/5/23
In reply to Inca
Inca said:

I think 2 months. Broken ribs in addition to the punctured lung. Obviously punctured lung is why he has not been able to fly home.
It fortuitous that the owner lives in LA where he was playing. Except if his owner wasn't Hollywood, he wouldn't have been playing Man U in LA.

AgRyan04
9:40p, 8/5/23
In reply to Rudyjax
He also would DEFINITELY not be playing for Wrexham
Rudyjax
9:49p, 8/5/23
In reply to AgRyan04
AgRyan04 said:

He also would DEFINITELY not be playing for Wrexham

That's also true.
deadbq03
10:28a, 8/7/23
In reply to Inca
Inca said:

Yeah, disappointing result. But an own goal at the 6 minute mark is a tough start.

Hoping it was just nerves and adjusting to not having Paul Mullin.

All they need to do this year is not get relegated. Finishing in the top half of the league would be nice but promotion is unlikely.
They're literally the odds-on favorite to get promoted. And MK Dons are 7th, so they're not scrubs.

Wrexham had like 63% possession and 3x the shots… poor finishing though. Probably nerves. And no Mullin.

Never say never I suppose, but relegation would be a flabbergasting result. Not making the playoffs would be disappointing.
Rudyjax
11:25a, 8/7/23
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Inca said:

Yeah, disappointing result. But an own goal at the 6 minute mark is a tough start.

Hoping it was just nerves and adjusting to not having Paul Mullin.

All they need to do this year is not get relegated. Finishing in the top half of the league would be nice but promotion is unlikely.
They're literally the odds-on favorite to get promoted. And MK Dons are 7th, so they're not scrubs.

Wrexham had like 63% possession and 3x the shots… poor finishing though. Probably nerves. And no Mullin.

Never say never I suppose, but relegation would be a flabbergasting result. Not making the playoffs would be disappointing.
One match does not make a season.

I wouldn't push the panic button until at least 10-15 matches are played.
deadbq03
9:13a, 8/16/23
First win of the season!

A great thing about them being in L2 now is that we can get official extended highlights on YouTube:

Faustus
10:32a, 8/16/23
1-1-1 to start.

Amusingly the same as Notts County.
AgRyan04
11:25a, 8/16/23
Are L2 games picked up by any of the US networks?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rudyjax
11:32a, 8/16/23
In reply to AgRyan04
AgRyan04 said:

Are L2 games picked up by any of the US networks?
Sometimes on ESPN plus, but not oftern. You can subscribe to stream them on
deadbq03
12:30p, 8/16/23
Streaming ain't cheap, but unlike last season, you're guaranteed coverage for every match.

$13 per game, $33 per month, $178 for season pass.

https://www.wrexhamafc.co.uk/ifollow/subscribe/

I'm waiting until April and if they're in the hunt for a playoff bid or better then I'll probably get the monthly and watch the end of the campaign.
agdoc2001
9:38a, 8/19/23
Getting embarrassed today by Swindon
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BIMS O1
10:22a, 8/19/23
In reply to agdoc2001
They are right back in it. Totally wild a$$ with no defense. Can't believe how much they are scoring with mullin still recovering.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agdoc2001
10:58a, 8/19/23
Come back complete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oragator
11:18a, 8/19/23
deadbq03
7:56a, 8/21/23
Ben Foster is retiring (again).

aTmAg
8:04a, 8/21/23
How would this team compare to MLS teams?
Rudyjax
8:05a, 8/21/23
In reply to aTmAg
aTmAg said:

How would this team compare to MLS teams?
Bottom of the table. MLS is probably low Championship league quality.

Quote:

Another website using this data is Global Football Rankings, where the Premier League is ranked #1 in the world, the Championship #11, and MLS #16. League Two is ranked 33rd.
Wrexham is in league 2.
deadbq03
8:25a, 8/21/23
In reply to Rudyjax
You're probably right on average, but "mid" might be a better term because if you look at talent levels on paper, MLS would struggle to make playoff, but would also never likely get relegated. Excluding Miami as a recent (cheating) outlier, when you look at player valuation on transfermarkt, the most valuable MLS squad (Atlanta) would be 9th most valuable in Championship, and the worst (Montreal) would be 18th (6th from bottom).
Rudyjax
8:27a, 8/21/23
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

You're probably right on average, but "mid" might be a better term because if you look at talent levels on paper, MLS would struggle to make playoff, but would also never likely get relegated. Excluding Miami as a recent (cheating) outlier, when you look at player valuation on transfermarkt, the most valuable MLS squad (Atlanta) would be 9th most valuable in Championship, and the worst (Montreal) would be 18th (6th from bottom).
Fair point. Can't argue that.

aTmAg
2:40p, 8/21/23
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Are you claiming that Miami cheated in signing Messi? Or are you referring to the previous infraction?
Faustus
9:45a, 8/22/23
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Ben Foster is retiring (again).

Is he retiring because he isn't fit and is too old, or is it because the defense is so bad that he didn't want a season of 3-4 goals a match on his stats?

Hopefully the former. Probably a bit of both.
deadbq03
9:53a, 8/22/23
In reply to Faustus
I think you're right and it's probably a bit of both, but I think it leans toward the former. I have a feeling he rounded out last season thinking he still "had it" but now after seeing more pace on the balls in League 2, he's realizing he doesnt.

But I think there's a legacy thing with him as well and some of it may have to do with poor defending. Supposedly he got into an on-pitch argument with new defender Boyle. By leaving now, we'll all remember him for the PK save against Notts last year. If he stays, we might remember him as the old guy who conceded 2+ a game and blamed everyone else. This is a good move for his MSM/YouTube business.
fig96
12:29p, 8/22/23
In reply to aTmAg
aTmAg said:

deadbq03 said:

Are you claiming that Miami cheated in signing Messi? Or are you referring to the previous infraction?
Both? They literally made up new rules to sign Messi.
Rudyjax
12:34p, 8/22/23
In reply to fig96
fig96 said:

aTmAg said:

deadbq03 said:

I coudn't care less. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
ChipFTAC01
12:35p, 8/22/23
That's not at all how that phrase is supposed to be used.
fig96
12:36p, 8/22/23
In reply to Rudyjax
Rudyjax said:

fig96 said:

aTmAg said:

deadbq03 said:

You don't have to, just answering the question
Rudyjax
12:37p, 8/22/23
In reply to fig96
fig96 said:

Rudyjax said:

fig96 said:

aTmAg said:

deadbq03 said:

You don't have to, just answering the question

Yeah, was more addressing the cheating comment.
Rudyjax
12:38p, 8/22/23
In reply to ChipFTAC01
ChipFTAC01 said:

That's not at all how that phrase is supposed to be used.
You're right. I'm embarrassed.
aTmAg
1:01p, 8/22/23
In reply to fig96
fig96 said:

aTmAg said:

deadbq03 said:

What rules did they make up? The DP rule has existed for a long time.
fig96
1:21p, 8/22/23
In reply to aTmAg
aTmAg said:

fig96 said:

aTmAg said:

deadbq03 said:

Apple is financing him coming to their team. That's pretty new.
deadbq03
1:27p, 8/22/23
In reply to fig96
Yeah, that's where my cheating comment comes in. Maybe that word is perhaps not the right one… I'll use "unsporting" instead. But then again, if you have a single-entity ownership structure, this is what you get. And it's why I simply can't be an MLS fan.

But this is entirely a sidebar to this thread so I apologize for unintentionally stirring the pot… the intention was simply to indicate that what Miami is doing is far from the norm, which is why I excluded their player valuation from my analysis.
wangus12
1:27p, 8/22/23
In reply to aTmAg
aTmAg said:

fig96 said:

aTmAg said:

deadbq03 said:

I'm not sure about cheating, but they are basically skirting the salary cap by having him get direct pay not only from the Apple broadcast deal, but also he gets a percentage of any MLS merchandise sold. If you go by an LAFC Vela jersey, Messi gets a cut. If you go buy a Toronto FC hat, Messi gets a cut. The MLS is funding Messi's time at Miami.

Obviously all the owners agreed to it because of the advertising for the league and obviously the 100% sold out stadiums that they are getting from it.
deadbq03
1:44p, 8/22/23
In reply to wangus12
Even worse… "team owners" really just own a chunk of the whole MLS. So even if their particular team doesn't get a cent from the deal… if the league wins financially, they win financially.
Rudyjax
1:59p, 8/22/23
In reply to deadbq03
deadbq03 said:

Even worse… "team owners" really just own a chunk of the whole MLS. So even if their particular team doesn't get a cent from the deal… if the league wins financially, they win financially.
Which is what I meant. What is good for Miami is good for the entire MLS.

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 14 of 17
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings