* Liverpool 2023-2024 Thread *
69,705 Views | 1495 Replies
YNWA.2013
8:05a, 4/24/24
In reply to jeffk
Agreed. The Nike kits have been mostly meh. I liked this season's home kit the best of all the ones they have done but none of Nike's iterations would be in my top 10 all time Liverpool Kits.

Nothing is gonna be worse than when Warrior was in charge though.
This 3rd Kit from 13-14 is terrible:

And the Away GK kit from 12-13 might be even worse. Like what is this?!

New Balance I think did a half decent job when they took over.
The 17-18 Home Kit might be favorite ever. (I think this was the first season where Klopp's 'heavy metal' really came to fruition. The front 4 of Mane, Firmino, Salah, and Coutinho were amazing to wacth and they were scoring goals for fun. But when we sold Coutinho to bring in Alisson and VvD, we became a complete team and the Klopp era really took off from here.)

And the 18-19 Purple Away kit was pretty sick and (probably an unpopular opinion, but it's my second favorite kit):

In 3rd, I'd put the 06-08 Home kit from Adidas. This was peak Gerrard-Torres connection but the person I think of the most in this kit for some reason is Peter Crouch

4) 08-10 Home Kit (a glorious era where the home kits were worn for two seasons):

5) 89-91 Home Kit

6) This New Balance Kit from the 19-20 season. I have a soft spot for this kit as this was the kit we won our first league title in my lifetime

7) The 04-06 Home Kit by Reebok. Not the prettiest kit but it's the Istanbul kit so it has to make the list.

8) 08-09 3rd Kit. May be in the minority on this one, but maybe I like it because I have it.

9) 87-88 Home Kit. When I think of Liverpool in the 80s, I think of the Crown Paints tops and this is my favorite of the bunch.

10) The 06-07 3rd kit. Whenever I see this kit, I think of Dirk Kuyt and I have fond memories of that Dutchman
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
8:10a, 4/24/24
What's wild is that Warrior was fully a New Balance subsidiery when they were churning out those awful LFC kits. You know someone at the NB mothership finally got an email from an angry relative who happened to be a Liverpool supporter reading "WHAT THE HELL MAN? CAN'T YOU FIX THIS CRAP?" and decided to take the wheel.

But yeah, I think 18-19 might be my favorite NB year: home and away were both clutch (minty green quarted look was sharp on-field) and the third was that awesome orange. https://www.footballkitarchive.com/liverpool-fc-2017-18-kits/
YNWA.2013
8:20a, 4/24/24
In reply to jeffk
I am hopeful if this is indeed the hire we go with. There is only one Jurgen Klopp, but it sounds like Arne Slot has a similar personality to him and is very much a players' manager in his man-management style. He also appears to be a fan favorite and is very personable with the fans. And if you do not connect with the Kop and the city, you have no chance of excelling at Liverpool.

After doing some research, he prefers the 4-2-3-1 formation which would be a slight deviation from our current 4-3-3 team set-up, but an easier transition than the 5-2-3 or 3-4-3 that some of the other coaches we were linked with prefer. The rumor mill is saying we will target a striker and a central defender in the summer. But if we move to this 4-2-3-1 formation, does TAA finally make the transition into the midfield as one of the two pivots? If so, we may need to target another RB to deputize for Conor Bradley (Gomez needs to play CB full-time). It also sounds like Slot is a fan of the Gegenpressing and winning the ball high up the pitch but also marrying that with the Total Football that a lot of Dutch coaches take inspiration from Cruyff. He is still young at 45, having only been a first team manager for 5 years since 2019 where he started with AZ Alkmaar before making the jump to Feyenoord in December 2020. But he has had success and does bring up players from the Academy at each of his previous stops, which I think is a priority for Liverpool.

I am cautiously optimistic. YNWA
-FTA c/o 2013
eiggA2002
9:42a, 4/24/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
I'm good with Slot as well. Think he'll do well here. Big jump from Feyenoord and the Eredivisie to the PL though. The key phrase you mentioned was "players manager and man-management" and that is a huge difference between Klopp and many other managers and a big part of LFC. Plus with Edwards back, he doesn't want a my way of the highway guy or a manager that can't adapt to the squad. So many managers are insistent on their system whether they have the guys or not and it often leads to disaster.

Definitely need a CB and I'll believe it when we see it a striker. We need another DM imo.

Also, BTHO the Toffies.
AG@RICE
10:05a, 4/24/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
I've read that he prefers to invert his wing backs in possession, so I we could easily see TAA stay put at RB.

I think Connor Bradley may eventually find his home as a right winger. He loves to meander into pockets of space higher up the pitch, while TAA likes to sit deeper. They could probably complement each other really well, both offensively and defensively.
AG@RICE
10:07a, 4/24/24
Also....RED FACED ANGRY LIVERPOOL MAN!!!!

**** EVERTON AND **** JORDAN PICKFORD!
ChipFTAC01
10:57a, 4/24/24
ChipFTAC01
11:00a, 4/24/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
The 06-08 with that weird collar is my favorite from the Adidas era. I would pay a good sum of money if I could find a long sleeve version of that for a Crouchy.

That 19-20 shirt is the only sports jersey I've ever owned. I have an anachronistic Carragher 23 on the back.
OregonAggie
11:07a, 4/24/24
DAMMIT BOYS WE AINT GOT TIME FOR SMALL TALK. JUST ANGER!!!!!!
YNWA.2013
11:10a, 4/24/24
In reply to ChipFTAC01
I always pay full price and only pay for authentic jerseys from certified retailers. So I would never visit a website like ijersey.net and get kits from there. Less than $37 for a good quality and pretty darn close to the real thing imitation sounds too good to be true. It is not where I would have purchased a jersey from every year for the last 5 or so years. I like being robbed on the online store and shelling out $120+ for a shirt like a good ol' loyal fan.
-FTA c/o 2013
YNWA.2013
1:04p, 4/24/24
Maybe it's all for the sake of rotation, but I don't understand why Jones continues to start over Endo, forcing Mac Allister to play deeper
-FTA c/o 2013
RossG_2
1:51p, 4/24/24
I'm ok with Adidas. My first jersey, the epic grey Torres, is Adidas.

I'm not ok with Everton, however.
YNWA.2013
1:54p, 4/24/24
How much we betting that Everton play with 9 at the back, 10 including Jordan "C*ntface" Pickford?

I bet they play a 6-3-0-1. With the 6 at the 6 yard box and the 3 at the 18. And DCL at the halfway line
-FTA c/o 2013
AG@RICE
2:01p, 4/24/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
Endo is a double edged sword. He is constantly charging into tackles and if he doesn't get it right we are screwed. Macca let's us control the game better from deep and I suspect Cujo will sit next to him to form a switchable double pivot.

Let's hope it works out
jeffk
2:52p, 4/24/24
This Darwin/Pickford battle is going to be the end of me.
AG@RICE
2:58p, 4/24/24
Darwin is killing us right now.
jeffk
3:47p, 4/24/24
Such a disappointing let-off the past month. Everything to play for, last year with the best manager in a lifetime, and Liverpool just let the bottom fall out. Makes the upcoming transition just completely sad.
YNWA.2013
3:54p, 4/24/24
In reply to jeffk
Yep, title race done. Pathetic displays since the start of April (Pitiful vs United, despicable vs Atalanta, lackluster vs Palace, and abysmal tonight v Everton). Just sputtering across the finish line. But the pressure is off now. Enjoy the last 4 games under Klopp. Prepare for a summer of overhaul.
-FTA c/o 2013
Out in Left Field
4:11p, 4/24/24
What a sad end to the Klopp era
jeffk
4:14p, 4/24/24
Anyone think Salah or VVD are being re-signed?
YNWA.2013
4:28p, 4/24/24
In reply to jeffk
I actually think that we are in for a summer of transition. May or may not be in quantity of signings, but definitely in personnel that are leaving.

As much as it pains me to say and my heart doesn't want it to happen, I think we finally cashed in on Mohamed Salah. The only person on our team that can even come close to filling the goal scoring void that Salah leaves, is Diogo Jota. We need him to stay fit for 32+ games a (PL) season. Darwin Nñez can't seem to score a goal from inside the box. Still young and can potentially figure it out but, man is he frustrating to watch after being spoiled with Mane and Bobby Firmino. Cody Gakpo looks more like a creator/passer than as a stone cold finisher. I think his future lies on the left wing. Luis Diaz is Luis Diaz. He was the only bright spot in the team today. But if Barcelona (Idk how they do it in their financial predicament but they continue to buy players) offers 70M+ GBP for him, I think we might take it?

And I think that VvD tells the higher-ups that he is not signing an extension with Klopp leaving. And it would probably be wise to cash in on him too. With Matip leaving too, we'd be left with Gomez, Konate, and Quansah. And unless some of the players out on loan like Koumetio, van den Berg, Rhys Williams are ready to make the jump, I would think we need a CB or two as well.

We could probably use another CDM as well. But after spending heavily in this area last summer, I think we stay pat. Endo is 31 and signed through 2027, so I think we are going to be able to squeeze another season or two out of him. So I think they kick this can down the road.

Kelleher is going to (rightfully) want to move on. He deserves a chance to make it as a No. 1 somewhere. With Alisson still being 31, I think it'll be a few years before he gets his chance at Liverpool. So we should probably sign a back up goalkeeper because I don't think anybody wants Adrian between the sticks anytime soon.
-FTA c/o 2013
OregonAggie
6:52p, 4/24/24
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

Anyone think Salah or VVD are being re-signed?

I hope both are sold this summer

New coach needs a new squad and a new start. I love both of those players but we need to build a deeper roster and that doesn't happen when everyone is allowed to run out their contract.
Crispin Torque
7:13p, 4/24/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
YNWA.2013 said:

I actually think that we are in for a summer of transition. May or may not be in quantity of signings, but definitely in personnel that are leaving.

As much as it pains me to say and my heart doesn't want it to happen, I think we finally cashed in on Mohamed Salah. The only person on our team that can even come close to filling the goal scoring void that Salah leaves, is Diogo Jota. We need him to stay fit for 32+ games a (PL) season. Darwin Nñez can't seem to score a goal from inside the box. Still young and can potentially figure it out but, man is he frustrating to watch after being spoiled with Mane and Bobby Firmino. Cody Gakpo looks more like a creator/passer than as a stone cold finisher. I think his future lies on the left wing. Luis Diaz is Luis Diaz. He was the only bright spot in the team today. But if Barcelona (Idk how they do it in their financial predicament but they continue to buy players) offers 70M+ GBP for him, I think we might take it?

And I think that VvD tells the higher-ups that he is not signing an extension with Klopp leaving. And it would probably be wise to cash in on him too. With Matip leaving too, we'd be left with Gomez, Konate, and Quansah. And unless some of the players out on loan like Koumetio, van den Berg, Rhys Williams are ready to make the jump, I would think we need a CB or two as well.

We could probably use another CDM as well. But after spending heavily in this area last summer, I think we stay pat. Endo is 31 and signed through 2027, so I think we are going to be able to squeeze another season or two out of him. So I think they kick this can down the road.

Kelleher is going to (rightfully) want to move on. He deserves a chance to make it as a No. 1 somewhere. With Alisson still being 31, I think it'll be a few years before he gets his chance at Liverpool. So we should probably sign a back up goalkeeper because I don't think anybody wants Adrian between the sticks anytime soon.

Agree with all of this, but just want to add that Bajcetic will be back for next season which should be a big boost at CDM.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Carvalho was recalled from Hull given his recent run of form. Very talented player that may have just needed to grow up a little bit.
YNWA.2013
7:23p, 4/24/24
In reply to Crispin Torque
Idk how Bajcetic slipped my mind. I want him to be so good! He's had two long term injuries now so hopefully it doesn't mess with him psychologically and he comes back strong next season. We're gonna need him in the rotation or at least mushing players like Jones and Szoboszlai to have to step up their game (I think both were dreadful today).

I don't think Carvalho was a Klopp player. I agree he did need to grow up some (still only 21). If he were on the team right now, I don't know what his best position would be. But if Slot is the manager and plays a 4-2-3-1 then I think he would thrive in that CAM role the way Coutinho did. I'm not saying he's at Liverpool Coutinho level but I think that's where we'd get the best out of him. At the same time, if Hull wanted to fork over 20M+ GBP for him, I think we take it.

Speaking of Hull, I have also always liked Tyler Morton. I think Bajcetic is the better player but Morton certainly is no pushover. He handled himself admirably when Klopp called upon him. And by all accounts (I don't really watch Hull City football matches), he's been excelling. Could he be ready to make a contribution to the first team?
-FTA c/o 2013
jeffk
11:41a, 4/25/24
Just a positive post today.

I remain thankful that Klopp hung around to help retool the roster following the fall-off we saw in the 2021-22 season. I'm sure that was a hammer blow to his psyche and ego and maybe even his overall physical health. But the ground work was laid and the roster remains extremely talented. Whomever takes over next season will have some work to do, but not nearly as much as they would have if Klopp had left a year ago.
YNWA.2013
2:45p, 4/25/24
In reply to jeffk
And he's just confirmed it saying the "Clubs are in negotiations" and a resolution is expected in "the coming days." A new era is upon us.

I read on Twitter (so take that for what it's worth) that Amorim's agent floated the West Ham talks story to put pressure on Liverpool. Liverpool responded by publicly saying that the strength of Amroim's candidacy had dwindled in the last few days and they were instead turning their attention to Arne Slot.
-FTA c/o 2013
OregonAggie
3:04p, 4/25/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
YNWA.2013 said:

And he's just confirmed it saying the "Clubs are in negotiations" and a resolution is expected in "the coming days." A new era is upon us.

I read on Twitter (so take that for what it's worth) that Amorim's agent floated the West Ham talks story to put pressure on Liverpool. Liverpool responded by publicly saying that the strength of Amroim's candidacy had dwindled in the last few days and they were instead turning their attention to Arne Slot.

I'm quite interested in Slot and also excited about hearing the term "Slot-ball" nonstop for a decade.

I think this is a great time to be a Liverpool fan, especially if they sell some players off and Edwards has a huge budget for him and the new guy to buy players.
jeffk
3:04p, 4/25/24
What's the correct pronunciation of Slot?
joemeister
3:15p, 4/25/24
the Dutch guy on a podcast I listened to said "shhhhhhhluht"
Dre_00
4:56a, 4/26/24
In reply to jeffk
It's more like "Sloht" but even that is a little off. Not sure I can use English phonetics to describe the pronunciation. Maybe would say that the "lo" in "Slot" sounds more like the "lo" in "locate" in English...or "slow" in English.

Edit: Fun fact "slot" means lock in Dutch. Either the kind you would find on a door or on a canal. *cue The More You Know Music*
AG@RICE
3:51p, 4/26/24
I think its a done deal now. Both sides have agreed on a fee and Slot certainly wants the job.

Welcome aboard Slot!

YNWA
jeffk
3:57p, 4/26/24
Time has come for the Slot Machine!

Is this something?
Dre_00
12:10a, 4/27/24
In reply to jeffk
You keep feeding him money and never win?
jeffk
6:31a, 4/27/24
YNWA.2013
6:31a, 4/27/24

-FTA c/o 2013
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 40 of 43
Verify your student status Register