Messi wins 8th Ballon d'or
1,257 Views | 11 Replies
snowdog90
4:47p, 10/30/23
Amazing that he has been so good for so long. I already miss him playing in Europe, but hopefully he'll play MLS for many years.
Mike Elko
4:54p, 10/30/23
Haaland deserved it in a runaway. I guess all those PKs in the WC (even the missed one) meant more than 52 goals and the treble. Soccer remains the most laughable and corrupt sport on the planet.
Unemployed
5:45p, 10/30/23
In reply to Mike Elko
AustinAg2012 said:

Haaland deserved it in a runaway. I guess all those PKs in the WC (even the missed one) meant more than 52 goals and the treble. Soccer remains the most laughable and corrupt sport on the planet.
The World Cup is disproportionately weighted in determining these types of awards.

I bet you can guess who won the Yashin Trophy which is given to the best goalkeeper. And I also bet that he wouldn't even make the top 5 of your ranking of the best GK in the world.
jeffk
6:33p, 10/30/23
In reply to Unemployed
Yep. Huge weight given to international play and also to offensive players.
carl spacklers hat
7:15p, 10/30/23
In reply to Mike Elko
I don't disagree with you - Haaland had an amazing year. This one feels more like a lifetime achievement award, especially with the WC win. Doubt Messi wins another one.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
TXAggie2011
9:45p, 10/30/23
In reply to Unemployed
This isn't the work of a world's best keeper? COYG

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
11:06p, 10/30/23
MLS Superstar wins Ballon d'or.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Dre_00
6:48a, 10/31/23
Right or wrong, Haaland is going to get dinged ever so slightly by his style of play (he's not your OG Ronaldo type of forward). But I'm certain he'll win his fair share and probably very soon.
Jim01
3:35p, 10/31/23
Can we focus on the real news story... Aitana Bonmati. Yes please!

Messi won the world cup. Haaland won the Champions League. She won them both.

snowdog90
5:42p, 10/31/23
In reply to Mike Elko
AustinAg2012 said:

Haaland and Mbappe are awesome and will be battling for this trophy for years. Messi definitely deserved to be in the mix, and he was dominant in the World Cup. To imply that he only contributed penalty kicks is laughable.

As far as corruption, what was corrupt about Messi's win? Corruption thrives in soccer, but I don't see corruption in this.
oragator
7:00p, 12/5/23
And this.

Furlock Bones
9:18a, 12/6/23
The Ballon d'Or lost all credibility when they canceled it in 2020 because Ligue 1 decided not to play, and then they gave it to Messi again in 2021 instead of Robert Lewandowski who was absolutely the clear best player for 2020 and 2021. I no longer give any credence to it.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings