EPL Relegation Watch (2023-2024 Season)
11,251 Views | 230 Replies
gougler08
8:26a, 4/21/24
In reply to OregonAggie
OregonAggie said:

gougler08 said:

Relegation battle Jordan Pickford is the best goalie in the league.

Great shot stopper…also most punchable face in the EPL

100%
YNWA.2013
9:04a, 4/21/24
In reply to OregonAggie
More than Bruno Fernandes?
Aston94
9:06a, 4/21/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
YNWA.2013 said:

Pickford is number 1 punchable face for sure.
Aston94
9:06a, 4/21/24
Dwight McNeil carrying Everton to victory.
Mathguy64
9:07a, 4/21/24
****ing Everton.

Now my only hope is that City was discovered to be so blatantly cheating that the league is forced to dock Everton again.
OregonAggie
9:09a, 4/21/24
In reply to Aston94
Aston94 said:

Dwight McNeil carrying Everton to victory.

I think he's quite underrated in the EPL.
OregonAggie
9:09a, 4/21/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
YNWA.2013 said:

I mean he's up there for sure but a distant 2nd place.

Mathguy64
9:11a, 4/21/24
In reply to Aston94
Aston94 said:

YNWA.2013 said:

That list has a number of top quality candidates.

Pickford
Foden and Cole Palmer together if only because they have the worst haircuts in the world. Not to mention the face itself is punchable.
YNWA.2013
9:13a, 4/21/24
In reply to OregonAggie
My list of most punchable faces in EPL:
1) Bruno Fernandes
2) Jordan Pickford
3) Jason Tindall
4) Bernardo Silva
5) Anthony Gordon
Aston94
9:30a, 4/21/24
Win today for Everton puts them 5 points clear of Luton. Not safe, but getting closer.
gougler08
9:46a, 4/21/24

Woah, that's pretty aggressive from the Forest club account
Dre_00
9:58a, 4/21/24
That's a good way to get your club a massive fine.

I have to laugh a little at the "we will now consider our options". Oh really? Are you going to appeal to the league that you just called out as being corrupt and biased? Is that your plan?
Mathguy64
10:02a, 4/21/24
With the points deductions possibly affecting who goes or stays and possibly more coming I don't think there is any doubt that if Everton or NF get relegated they will be in court. There is too much money on the line. And whoever is in court will point fingers squarely at City as an example of how the league plays favorites.
Dre_00
10:02a, 4/21/24
It's going to be hilarious when that tweet costs them 3 points and sends them down.
oh no
10:11a, 4/21/24
One of their options is to go play in the championship next season
59 South
10:15a, 4/21/24
So petty. They did something similar when Ivan Toney moved the ball and foam on his free kick a few months ago.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
10:21a, 4/21/24
In reply to 59 South
Bunch of ****s. Perhaps don't suck (or at least don't give up a look at an open post to [checks notes] idrissa Gueye). We were the better side today and we took as many bad/non calls. Deal with it.
Mathguy64
10:33a, 4/21/24
Oh boy. It looks like Attwell (VAR) is a Luton supporter. Or at least it was publicly listed that way a year ago.

PGMOL is supposed to track that stuff and never assign referees to matches where this is public support. Michael Oliver is an open NU supporter and never comes near their matches.

If that's the case this is going to get ugly. They didn't have to put Attwell on this game. The optics are not good.
ChipFTAC01
10:34a, 4/21/24
In reply to gougler08
gougler08 said:

OregonAggie said:

gougler08 said:

Relegation battle Jordan Pickford is the best goalie in the league.

Great shot stopper…also most punchable face in the EPL

100%

In the latter years of his career has he not been surpassed by young Phillip Foden and Anthony Gordon?
AustinScubaAg
10:38a, 4/21/24
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

With the points deductions possibly affecting who goes or stays and possibly more coming I don't think there is any doubt that if Everton or NF get relegated they will be in court. There is too much money on the line. And whoever is in court will point fingers squarely at City as an example of how the league plays favorites.

Lets be honest they will never touch City. Even though they did much worse.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
10:48a, 4/21/24
In reply to Aston94
Aston94 said:

YNWA.2013 said:

hate him because your keeper ain't him.

Seriously, though, he's a villain but he's our villain. And the reason we stayed up the last two years. I'll take it.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
10:48a, 4/21/24
In reply to AustinScubaAg
AustinScubaAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

Let's be honest they will never touch City. Even though they did much worse.
City ought to be playing in Sunday pub league if they're to be punished the way Everton was punished.
OregonAggie
1:32p, 4/21/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
YNWA.2013 said:

1) Bruno Fernandes
2) Jordan Pickford
3) Jason Tindall
4) Bernardo Silva
5) Anthony Gordon

That's a great list. There's only a few players that I dislike so here goes:

1) Jordan Pickford
2) Bruno Fernandes - I really wish someone would just beat his whiny ass. I can't see how anyone would root for him unless he's on your team.
3) Richarlison
4) Moises Caicedo - mainly because he wouldn't sign with Liverpool and opted for that **** show at Chelsea
Dre_00
1:40p, 4/21/24
Emi Martinez but mostly just because he's a huge ass
ChipFTAC01
2:08p, 4/21/24
In reply to OregonAggie
OregonAggie said:

YNWA.2013 said:

1) Bruno Fernandes
2) Jordan Pickford
3) Jason Tindall
4) Bernardo Silva
5) Anthony Gordon

That's a great list. There's only a few players that I dislike so here goes:

1) Jordan Pickford
2) Bruno Fernandes - I really wish someone would just beat his whiny ass. I can't see how anyone would root for him unless he's on your team.
3) Richarlison
4) Moises Caicedo - mainly because he wouldn't sign with Liverpool and opted for that **** show at Chelsea

Man, how did I forget Richarlisson!?
Faustus
2:26p, 4/21/24
In reply to gougler08
gougler08 said:

Woah, that's pretty aggressive from the Forest club account
Hopefully they don't go with the nuclear option of a hapless protest and petulant posts.
59 South
2:41p, 4/21/24

Showstopper
3:03p, 4/21/24
In reply to Mathguy64
Mathguy64 said:

Michael Oliver is an open NU supporter and never comes near their matches.
We should all be so fortunate…
GrapevineAg
3:46p, 4/21/24
Anyone watching El Clasico? Very entertaining.
KCup17
10:21p, 4/21/24
In reply to OregonAggie
Replace Caicedo for Maupay and that's my list. Can't stand him.
Aston94
10:09a, 4/22/24
Was a fun weekend in the relegation fight, I don't recall a weekend where all six lower clubs squared up with one another. The weekend led to some separation, with Brentford clawing their way out of the relegation battle and Sheffield falling completely off the pace. We are essentially down to 4 teams fighting for 2 spots, with Burnley climbing their way up into the battle.

Weekend Results:

Luton 1-5 Brentford. Brentford took a big step towards securing Premier League safety and left relegation rivals Luton Town in the mire as the Bees triumphed 5-1, Yoane Wissa took his goal tally for the campaign into double figures with a pair of first-half strikes before Ethan Pinnock, Keane Lewis-Potter and Kevin Schade completed an emphatic victory after the break. Luke Berry grabbed a consolation goal for Luton but it could prove to be a damaging defeat for Rob Edwards' side. Brentford climbed into 14th place, 10 points above 18th-placed Luton.

Sheffield United 1-4 Burnley. Burnley moved three points from safety with a vital and commanding away win over bottom side Sheffield United at Bramall Lane. Jacob Bruun Larsen and Lorenz Assignon both scored to give the Clarets a two-goal lead at half-time. The Blades pulled a goal back through Gustavo Hamer early in the second half but Lyle Foster restored Burnley's two-goal advantage just six minutes later, before Johann Berg Gudmundsson sealed the win with the Claret's fourth goal.. Burnley's victory took them two points behind 18th-placed Luton Town and just three points behind 17th-placed Nottingham Forest.

Sunday
Everton 2-0 Nottingham Forest. Everton boosted their Premier League safety hopes with a hard-earned 2-0 win over relegation rivals Nottingham Forest. Wonderful long-range strikes from Idrissa Gueye and Dwight McNeil settled a relegation six-pointer in Everton's favor at Goodison Park. Following Luton Town's defeat by Brentford on Saturday, the Toffees took full advantage to move five points clear of the relegation zone with five matches remaining, while 17th-placed Forest remain a point above the bottom three.

Updated Standings
Team. Matches Played. Points. Goal Differential.
15. Brentford. 34 35 -7
16. Everton. 33 30 -14
17. Nottingham Forest. 34 26 -18
18. Luton. 34 25 -28
19. Burnley. 34 23 -32
20. Sheffield United 33 16 -57

We do have a couple midweek games that will impact the relegation battle, as Everton host Liverpool in the Merseyside Derby and Sheffield United travel to Manchester United where a loss would officially relegate them to next year's Championship.

10Aggie10
12:59p, 4/22/24
In reply to 10Aggie10
10Aggie10 said:

- I wouldn't be sad at all if a Pickford-led team (Everton) got relegated.

- no hope for Burnley and Sheffield. they gone

- it will be between Luton, Forest, and Everton with the latter two's fates tied to point deductions (if Everton loses ten or more then they're more likely to go down; if Forest loses 5 or more then their chances of dropping go up).

- Palace and Brentford will stay in that not-quite-safe zone, but will never really be in true danger of relegation

I'll guess I'll stick with this (2nd reply).

- still wouldn't mind seeing a Pickford-led team get relegated (even if yes, he himself won't get relegated)

- Burnley may have may made it interesting lately, but I still think they dug too big of a hole

- definitely seems like it's between those three. Most likely Forest v Luton

-yep
Aston94
3:56p, 4/22/24
Here is a quick look at the lower divisions and their promotion/relegation status

Championship (top 2 automatically qualify for EPL, Places 3-6 go into a four team playoff with winner advancing to next year's EPL. Bottom three clubs are relegated to League One). Each team plays 46 regular season matches.

Current Standings:
Team GP Points
1. Leicester City 43 91
2. Leeds United 44 90
3. Ipswich Town 43 89
4. Southampton 43 84
5. West Brom Albion 44 72
6. Norwich City 44 72
7. Hull City 43 66

The race for top 2 spots is down to three clubs, with Leicester and Leeds holding the narrow advantage over Ipswich thanks to Leeds' victory today. The team that finishes 3rd will go into a playoff with what looks like it will be Southampton, West Brom and Norwich. Hull still has a remote chance at catching Norwich or West Brom for the final playoff spot.

Team GP Points
17. Stoke City 44 50
18. Queen Park Rangers 44 50
19. Blackburn Rovers 44 49
20. Plymouth Argyle 44 48
21. Sheffield Wednesday 44 47
22. Birmingham City 44 46
23. Huddersfield Town 44 44
24. Rotherham United 44 24

It is a wild and open race at the bottom of the table, with 7 team looking to avoid 2 remaining relegation spots. Lots of twists and turns still in this fight.

League One (top 2 automatically qualify for Championship, Places 3-6 go into a four team playoff with winner advancing to next year's Championship. Bottom four clubs are relegated to League Two). Each team plays 46 regular season matches.

Team GP Points
1. Portsmouth 45 94
2. Derby County 45 89
3. Bolton Wanderers 45 86
4. Peterborough United 44 83
5. Barnsley 45 75
6. Lincoln City 45 74
7. Blackpool 45 73

Portsmouth has assured themselves promotion back to the Championship, with Derby County almost there for spot 2. Most teams have one match remaining and the playoff spots are just about set, with Blackpool just one point behind Barnsley and Lincoln City as those three battle for the final 2 playoff spots.

Team GP Points
20. Burton Albion 45 46
21. Chelthenham Town 44 41
22. Fleetwood Town 45 40
23. Port Vale 45 40
24. Carlisle United 45 30

Fleetwood, Port Vale and Carlisle are all assured a spot in League Two for next season, and Chelthenham United must win their two remaining matches to have any chance at passing Burton Albion to avoid the final relegation spot.

League Two (top 3 automatically qualify for League One, Places 4-7 go into a four team playoff with winner advancing to next year's League One. Bottom two clubs are relegated to Non-League Football). Each team plays 46 regular season matches.

Team GP Points
1. Stockport County 45 92
2. Mansfield Town 45 85
3. Wrexham 45 85
4. MK Dons 45 77
5. Crewe Alexandria 45 70
6. Barrow 44 68
7. Crawley Town 45 67
8. Doncaster Rovers 44 67
9. Walsall 45 65
10. Bradford City 44 63

Stockport, Mansfield Town and Wrexham have all secured their promotion spots for next season's League One. There is a wild race for the final three playoff spots, with MK Dons assured the top spot in the playoff.

Team GP Points
22. Colchester United 44 44
23. Sutton United 45 41
24. Forest Green Rovers 45 39

The dream run for Forest Green has ended, as they are going back out of league football. Sutton United are set to join them unless they can have a miracle finish and pass Colchester.
Aston94
12:31p, 4/24/24
Two Matches today in the relegation battle, one vastly more important than the other:

Everton v. Liverpool (2pm, Goodison Park, Peacock). Very important Merseyside Derby for both clubs as Liverpool travels across the park to Goodison Park for a match with the Toffees. The Reds will come in needing three points in their pursuit of the EPL title and a win for the Blues would be doubly sweet as it would be a rare Derby victory and would get them close to safety. Liverpool have won four of the last five over their neighbors, with the lone exception being a 0-0 draw at Goodison last season. Everton come in with a 2-2-1 record in their last five matches, claiming 7 points in the process, while Liverpool are 3-1-1 in their last five. Should be a spirited evening on the Merseyside, always a great watch.

Manchester United v. Sheffield United (2pm, Old Trafford, Peacock). Sheffield will make the short trip to Manchester looking to avoid relegation at the hands of one of their oldest rivals. A loss will assure the Blades' relegation, which has all but been assured for months. The Red Devils claimed a 2-1 win at Bramall Lane when the clubs met in October.

Enjoy the games.

Rudyjax
12:49p, 4/24/24
In reply to Aston94
Aston94 said:

Two Matches today in the relegation battle, one vastly more important than the other:

Everton v. Liverpool (2pm, Goodison Park, Peacock). Very important Merseyside Derby for both clubs as Liverpool travels across the park to Goodison Park for a match with the Toffees. The Reds will come in needing three points in their pursuit of the EPL title and a win for the Blues would be doubly sweet as it would be a rare Derby victory and would get them close to safety. Liverpool have won four of the last five over their neighbors, with the lone exception being a 0-0 draw at Goodison last season. Everton come in with a 2-2-1 record in their last five matches, claiming 7 points in the process, while Liverpool are 3-1-1 in their last five. Should be a spirited evening on the Merseyside, always a great watch.

Manchester United v. Sheffield United (2pm, Old Trafford, Peacock). Sheffield will make the short trip to Manchester looking to avoid relegation at the hands of one of their oldest rivals. A loss will assure the Blades' relegation, which has all but been assured for months. The Red Devils claimed a 2-1 win at Bramall Lane when the clubs met in October.

Enjoy the games.

can't stop playing reruns of SVU or Jag to put on USA, huh NBC?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 4 of 7
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings