12:56p, 4/24/24
In reply to Rudyjax
Newcastle v. Palace will be on USA network
Rudyjax
1:04p, 4/24/24
In reply to Aston94
Aston94 said:

Newcastle v. Palace will be on USA network

Yeah. I was being dumb thinking that was all games. Carry on and excuse my stupidity.
Aston94
4:32p, 4/24/24
Full time scores:

Everton 2-0 Liverpool
Manchester United 4-2 Sheffield United

Huge win for Everton as they pull 8 points clear of Luton and put a dent in their neighbor's EPL title hopes. Sheffield United....woof...good luck in the Championship next season.
oh no
4:22p, 4/26/24
Leicester City secured promotion bounce back.

Aston94
11:01a, 4/27/24
Sheffield officially relegated
Burnley get a point
Luton get nothing.

Forest play tomorrow….against Manchester City
wangus12
12:25p, 4/27/24
In reply to Aston94
Let's all pray for Forest. Nobody wants those ****s in blue to win another title
KCup17
12:56p, 4/27/24
The fighting Ed Sheerans have a huge opportunity for their quest into the Prem.
Showstopper
5:11p, 4/27/24
I believe today's results make Everton and Brentford officially safe. Assuming City beats Forest (not that I want it to happen, but mentally preparing for the inevitable), that puts the points at:

Forest- 26
Luton - 25
Burnley - 24

With Forest having a goal difference that effectively puts them two points ahead of Luton and three ahead of Burnley. I kind of think Luton needs a win next week against Everton, but the Burnley v. Forest match on the last day is growing in importance by the week. Compelling relegation run-in.
Aston94
10:39p, 4/28/24
The weekend gave us a lot of clarity in the relegation battle, as two clubs (Everton and Brentford) both officially assured their places in next season's EPL while one club (Sheffield United) were officially relegated. That leaves us with three clubs fighting for one more position above the relegation zone. Luton, Burnley and Nottingham Forest all now know that two of the three will be relegated, so look for a battle over the final three matches.

Weekend Results
Manchester United 1-1 Burnley. Zeki Amdouni's late penalty helped Burnley claim a vital point on the road and moved the Clarets within two points of safety with three matches remaining. All the Clarets' efforts to stymie United appeared to be in vain when Antony broke the deadlock, but they responded well to ensure a hard-earned draw. Burnley remain 19th but are now two points behind 17th-place Nottingham Forest.

Newcastle 5-1 Sheffield United. Sheffield United were officially relegated from the Premier League following a 5-1 thrashing by Newcastle United at St James' Park. The Blades initially went ahead through Anel Ahmedhodzic, but Alexander Isak netted in both halves for the Magpies, while Bruno Guimaraes helped to complete the turnaround Ben Osborn's own goal and Callum Wilson's goal rounded off the scoring, inflicting on the Blades a 25th league defeat of the season and confirming their immediate return to the Championship.

Wolverhampton 2-1 Luton Town. Hwang Hee-chan led Wolverhampton Wanderers to a 2-1 victory over relegation-threatened Luton Town at Molineux. Hwang opened the scoring late in the first half. A clever set-piece allowed Wolves to double their lead in the 50th minute as Toti Gomes nodded in Mario Lemina's cross, though Luton drew close Carlton Morris scored with 10 minutes remaining. However, they failed to find an equalizer and stay 18th, one point behind Nottingham Forest in 17th.

Everton 1-0 Brentford. Everton are officially remaining in the Premier League as Idrissa Gueye's goal handed them a 1-0 home win over Brentford, who were also assured safety after Luton Town's earlier loss to Wolverhampton Wanderers. Luton's 2-1 defeat at Molineux meant Brentford's slim fears of relegation were behind them before kick-off, while Everton knew a third straight victory would also secure their place in the top flight for next season. Gueye powered home 15 minutes into the second half to hand the Toffees a third Goodison Park victory in the last six days.

Manchester City 2-0 Nottingham Forest. Erling Haaland returned from injury to keep Manchester City's title charge on track as City secured a 2-0 victory over relegation-battling Nottingham Forest. Josko Gvardiol's near-post header pit City ahead before half. Forest were left to rue big opportunities missed in the opening 45 minutes, with Chris Wood and Murillo both having chances to level the score. But Haaland entered in the second half, and delivered to double City's lead, leaving Forest with just a point advantage over the relegation zone.

Updated Standings
Team. Matches Played. Points. Goal Differential.
17. Nottingham Forest. 35 26 -20
18. Luton. 35 25 -29
19. Burnley. 35 24 -32
20. Sheffield United 35 16 -63

Remaining schedules for three teams that remain in Relegation Battle:

Nottingham Forest: @ Sheffield United, Chelsea, @ Burnley

Luton Town: Everton, @ West Ham, Fulham

Burnley: Newcastle, @ Tottenham, Nottingham Forest

So some opportunities for each of the three to claim points, and if we get there with something still on the table, that Burnley-Forest matchup on the final day seems really tasty.
ChipFTAC01
10:50p, 4/28/24
As a Liverpool fan I'm glad Everton are staying up. I'm also glad they're in a relegation scrap in late April but I'd hate for the last season in Goodison to be played against Stoke and Hull.
wangus12
7:33a, 4/29/24
In reply to ChipFTAC01
I forgot that Everton was building a new stadium away from Goodison.
YNWA.2013
8:18a, 4/29/24
In reply to ChipFTAC01
Is there sarcasm in your post? Because that sounds wonderful to me! Especially if Pickford went down with them
-FTA c/o 2013
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
8:20a, 4/29/24
In reply to YNWA.2013
I'm friends with a Liverpool fan who is from Liverpool and he doesn't want to see Everton go down. He says the community would be hurt significantly if they did.
Rudyjax
8:32a, 4/29/24
In reply to Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

I'm friends with an actual Liverpool fan who is from Liverpool and he doesn't want to see Everton go down. He says the community would be hurt significantly if they did.
Yeah. The Liverpool fans that aren't from Liverpool aren't actual Liverpool fans.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
8:40a, 4/29/24
In reply to Rudyjax
Sorry, that isn't what I meant to convey. I'll fix it.
Rudyjax
8:46a, 4/29/24
In reply to Ghost of Andrew Eaton

It was a joke.

And I agree with you that someone that actually lives/lived in Liverpool might have a different opinion of Everton.

oh no
9:21a, 4/29/24
as a fan of chaos, I think I'd just enjoy it if a "blue blood" gets relegated and I like to see new blood get promoted. In addition, newly promoted clubs not getting the investment needed and immediately dropping right back down again (Luton) only for a bounce back (Leeds, Leicester) to replace them again is rather boring. Cheering for Ipswich promotion and Nottingham or Luton to stay up.

It feels like Everton barely staved off relegation the past few years and they're actually safe earlier this year than some of the past couple of years even with the point deductions. Good for them. I guess. I don't really care how a Liverpool fan from Liverpool feels about it. Their rivalry will live on with the fans and hooligans; just like Millwall and West Ham or Tottenham, but Everton would likely bounce right back the next year anyway.
Rudyjax
9:31a, 4/29/24
In reply to oh no
oh no said:

as a fan of chaos, I think I'd just enjoy it if a "blue blood" gets relegated and I like to see new blood get promoted. In addition, newly promoted clubs not getting the investment needed and immediately dropping right back down again (Luton) only for a bounce back (Leeds, Leicester) to replace them again is rather boring. Cheering for Ipswich promotion and Nottingham or Luton to stay up.

It feels like Everton barely staved off relegation the past few years and they're actually safe earlier this year than some of the past couple of years even with the point deductions. Good for them. I guess. I don't really care how a Liverpool fan from Liverpool feels about it. Their rivalry will live on with the fans and hooligans; just like Millwall and West Ham or Tottenham, but Everton would likely bounce right back the next year anyway.
That's a rather myopic point of view to have.

Getting demoted would many aspects beyond just football. It affects jobs in the club. It affects hotel and restaurant revenue. It affects car service revenue, etc.

That's what the "actual" Liverpool fan is concerned about.

But go ahead and think of just the football.

oh no
9:41a, 4/29/24
In reply to Rudyjax
Rudyjax said:

But go ahead and think of just the football.

i will. Thanks.

three teams go down every year no matter what. why is it okay for it to be any three of x group of teams, but it can't be one of y group of teams because jobs, hotels, and restaurants?
oh no
9:46a, 4/29/24
right now in MLS, Seattle Sounders are in 2nd to last place in the west. If we had pro/rel here and Seattle dropped down, i think the city would be ok and they'd likely bounce back pretty quick; at the same time, it might give a USL team like San Antonio to get promoted to MLS. Would we be crying about hotels in Seattle?
Rudyjax
9:50a, 4/29/24
In reply to oh no
oh no said:

right now in MLS, Seattle Sounders are in 2nd to last place in the west. If we had pro/rel here and Seattle dropped down, i think the city would be ok and they'd likely bounce back pretty quick; at the same time, it might give a USL team like San Antonio to get promoted to MLS. Would we be crying about hotels in Seattle?
Yeah, you're just not understanding it.

It's ok. I'll move on.
jeffk
9:55a, 4/29/24
In reply to Rudyjax
I mean, you're basically telling Aggies they should feel bad if Texas doesn't make a bowl game because of lost revenue in Austin bars. Sorry folks weren't receptive to your argument.
oh no
9:55a, 4/29/24
In reply to Rudyjax
Rudyjax said:

I'll move on.
Thanks
Rudyjax
9:58a, 4/29/24
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

I mean, you're basically telling Aggies they should feel bad if Texas doesn't make a bowl game because of lost revenue in Austin bars. Sorry folks weren't receptive to your argument.
I don't care. I was just explaining why the "actual" liverpool fan felt that way.
It wasn't MY argument.

And yeah, I feel bad for individuals whose livelihood is affected by sports no matter what team it is.

But I have compassion.

jeffk
9:59a, 4/29/24
In reply to Rudyjax
Yeah, you're a saint.

The point of relegation being bad for a local economy is actually one that most people understand and would probably sympathize with. You just decided to try to make it in the most high-horse style conceivable. So yeah, folks are going to give you grief about that.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
9:59a, 4/29/24
In reply to Rudyjax
Rudyjax said:

It was a joke.

And I agree with you that someone that actually lives/lived in Liverpool might have a different opinion of Everton.

they were also unhappy when tranmere fell to non-league several years ago.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
10:04a, 4/29/24
As far as the "actual" Liverpool fans, it's regional. There's a long-standing sting about the comparative decline of Liverpool in favor of Manchester - particularly associated with the construction of the Manchester canal. The inter regional rivalry has been heavily pro-manc due to the legendary Alex Ferguson years followed by the rise of historically ho-hum Man Dhabi. Having one of their actually pedigreed sides drop sits badly with everyone from Liverpool even while the red-blue rivalry is intense.
oh no
10:04a, 4/29/24
It's myopic and uncompassionate to prefer someone like Everton go down instead of someone like Luton Town or Nottingham Forest. ...even though someone has to go down and local economies will be affected no matter what. That sort of preference as a casual fan of none of these teams would be "only thinking about the football" and not being compassionate for Everton's local economy. We should all just want the teams that just got there to go back down and never ever ever a club as amazing as Everton.
OregonAggie
10:16a, 4/29/24
As much as a dislike Everton, I'd never want them relegated. I look forward to watching the 2 Derby games, for one, but secondly that would certainly impact the economics of the area. I'm not from there but I do understand that.

I just want them to be 17th place every year hahaha

To compare things closer to home, hasn't it been a little strange to not play tu, OU, Tech, Etc in football and many other sports? I like being in the SEC but missing out on "water cooler" talk with coworkers and neighbors has been a little disappointing. I couldn't imagine living in Liverpool and not being able to discuss Everton v Liverpool games.

wangus12
10:33a, 4/29/24
In reply to oh no
Newcastle has been up and down multiple times in the past 20 years I believe
Rudyjax
10:40a, 4/29/24
In reply to jeffk
jeffk said:

Yeah, you're a saint.

The point of relegation being bad for a local economy is actually one that most people understand and would probably sympathize with. You just decided to try to make it in the most high-horse style conceivable. So yeah, folks are going to give you grief about that.
I'm not a saint. I just got what the "actual" Liverpool fan meant and tried to explain it. Obviously, the Liverpool fan didn't get it.

Oh well. I moved on and then you had to give your $.02. (
)

oh no
10:44a, 4/29/24
In reply to wangus12
wangus12 said:

Newcastle has been up and down multiple times in the past 20 years I believe
and Fulham, Leeds, Aston Villa, even West Ham was last promoted in 2011 or so. Everton has been in the top tier for the second longest stretch behind only Arsenal I believe and right there with Liverpool, but I don't see why it would be so devastating for them to be relegated for a year yet no big deal for other clubs to be relegated
BearkatRunner88
12:20p, 4/29/24
In reply to oh no
oh no said:

Leicester City secured promotion bounce back.

THIS! I'd imagine I'm the only Leicester supporter on here. Hopefully 3 points and a trophy this afternoon!
10Aggie10
2:25p, 4/29/24
In reply to Rudyjax
Rudyjax said:

jeffk said:

Yeah, you're a saint.

I'm not a saint. I just got what the "actual" Liverpool fan meant and tried to explain it. Obviously, the Liverpool fan didn't get it.

)

And yet you still haven't "moved on"

You're wrong btw. hth
Any team that goes down, their local economy will suffer. You and this "Liverpool fan" you keep referring to, obviously root for Everton to stay up because you care for Liverpool's economy more than the other local economies. That's fine and it's your prerogative , but no matter how you spin it. One local economy doesn't take the dive (because their team stays up) and one local economy does (because their team goes down). It's actually pretty basic math
Rudyjax
2:43p, 4/29/24
In reply to 10Aggie10
10Aggie10 said:

Rudyjax said:

jeffk said:

Yeah, you're a saint.

)

And yet you still haven't "moved on"

You're wrong btw. hth
Any team that goes down, their local economy will suffer. You and this "Liverpool fan" you keep referring to, obviously root for Everton to stay up because you care for Liverpool's economy more than the other local economies. That's fine and it's your prerogative , but no matter how you spin it. One local economy doesn't take the dive (because their team stays up) and one local economy does (because their team goes down). It's actually pretty basic math
What? What am I wrong about?

And I moved on but you replied to me.

I don't even follow a premier league team so I couldn't care less one way or another. I follow the league and players.

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 5 of 7
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings