French football fed bans Ramadan fasting in player camp

1,168 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by La Bamba
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The FFF are apparently restricting players from observing Ramadan through fasting while they are in national team camps. Already had one Muslim youth player leave in response. Restricting the expression of personal religious beliefs by players is certainly a choice.

https://time.com/6959545/france-football-federation-ramadan-fasting-rules-muslims-soccer/
deadbq03
AG
Considering they also ban headscarves, the only surprising part of this is that it took them this long to do it.
Mathguy64
AG
Hakeem Olajuwon had some of his best games while observing the fasting during Ramadan.
TXAggie2011
AG
What are they gonna do? Are they going to force feed pork to les musulmans?
ColoradoMooseHerd
How can you ban them from Fasting during the holiday?
jeffk
AG
They won't allow them to participate in team practices or other activities if they don't eat with the team.
jeffk
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Hakeem Olajuwon had some of his best games while observing the fasting during Ramadan.

Salah has scored a few CL goals during fasting.
tysker
AG
jeffk said:

They won't allow them to participate in team practices or other activities if they don't eat with the team.

Isn't there an old saying that you can take a Muslim to team meals but you can't make them eat?
wangus12
AG
Wild reaction to losing to Germany on Saturday I guess. It won't go over well either. France has a massive Muslim population now.
jeffk
AG
More of a continuation of anti-Muslim policies by the French govt and the FFF. The article lays out some of the longer history, but this isn't a knee-jerk decision based on a single game result.
wangus12
AG
I'm somewhat surprised and yet not. There are places in France where you straight up do not go if you aren't Muslim. The French are basically losing their country because of the growth rate.
greg.w.h
AG
The real issue is water intake not food.
tysker
AG
I wonder if IV fluids would be a viable middle ground. Not sure of the religious implications though
carl spacklers hat
jeffk said:

More of a continuation of anti-Muslim policies by the French govt and the FFF. The article lays out some of the longer history, but this isn't a knee-jerk decision based on a single game result.
It is not a knee-jerk decision. In fact, the decision is part of the French legal principle, laicite, as cited in the opening paragraph of the linked article, which is intended to maintain strict secularism. Now, because its Muslims getting butt-hurt over the issue, the narrative becomes that this is anti-Muslim, which is false. It is pro-secularism, not anti-Muslim. HTH
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
La Bamba
AG
jeffk said:

This is ridiculous.

It's almost as ridiculous as "please don't eat or drink water in front of me, I'm fasting."

People are grown adults. They should be allowed to make a personal decision as long as it's not harmful to someone else. If a player wants to fast, he should fast. If it affects his performance, then he'll sit the bench. This seems a bit far from the FFF, imo.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.