A&M v TCU today

1,163 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by Wrighty
Giggem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Final was a TCU 3-1 win over A&M.

That score fairly represents the quality of the game each team brought today. TCU absolutely dominated possession, especially in the first half. They brought more effort and intensity and, it appeared, fitness. They ran out to a 3-0 lead, and A&M got one back on a free kick late in the first half, but that was it.

A&M struggled to even mount counter-attacks in the first half. In the second half, the Ags put together a few more passes, but struggled to create really good chances, other than a Becera free kick that rattled off the bar.

A&M still lacks a dependable "engine" in the midfield, and often resorted to kicking the ball over the top and hoping McDonald could run onto it. But even when she did, there was insufficient effort to crash the box, so she had few runners to hit with a cross.

Overall, it seems to me that TCU plays modern, quick-passing, hard-defending soccer, while our squad is more tentative to aggressively challenge individually on defense, and is less comfortable making quick passes in tight spaces.

Obviously, it's only a spring exhibition, but it reveals a difference between these two teams' approaches to playing.
AggieCrew44
AG
Agree. First 2 goals for tcu were direct result of a mistake in the back. Technical and communication error which are both fixable. Third goal was quality. Our counter attack and Transition game is terrible. Mid field appears slow and lacks any attacking understand or coached that way. I would let Williams attack. They tend to stand and watch. Pounds needs to see less time. Keepers need work. Back up attack was much more aggressive and has better energy/effort
rausr
AG
Any thoughts on some of our newer additions?
taylorswift13_
I'm afraid this next season will be more of the same
Giggem
AG
I thought Bella James had some good moments in the center of the back line.

Leah Pirro's free kick goal was very nice. She didn't have a huge impact otherwise, but that free kick was really well-taken: hard, low, and well-placed to get around the wall and into the bottom corner. That obviously shows some good skill.

Sydney Fuller looked confident during her time in goal. She was aggressive in going after corners, which is a change from what I recall seeing from our GKs since Jordan Day.

Similarly, Maysen Veronda looked confident and aggressive in goal. Her distributions were a bit suspect, however--a few direct give-aways.

All three goals came against Grace McClellan, for what it's worth.

rausr
AG
Thanks Giggem.
jessexy
AG
Bella James will be our best player next year.
Gap
AG
Shae O'Rourke looked really good when she was playing earlier this Spring. I understand she was with the USA U20 team last week and not with the Aggies in our scrimmages.
txagpapi
AG
This game was frustrating to watch. With so much talent on the squad, it looked like the team had never played a game before in their life. There were a few glimpses of what could be, but nothing that was threatening for TCU. #25 on TCU went to town with her technical work on the right flank, #11 dribbled on the left flank and seemed like she was not challenged at all. Easy win for TCU, a lot of questions left for A&M for next season. Can't blame the A&M players, hoping the changes that need to be addressed get going before the fall.
Wrighty
AG
Gap said:

Shae O'Rourke looked really good when she was playing earlier this Spring. I understand she was with the USA U20 team last week and not with the Aggies in our scrimmages.
And she scored for USA U20 too.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.