EPL Title Race (2023-2024 Season)

2,261 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by YNWA.2013
YNWA.2013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thought this might be a good thread to mirror the equally as enticing Relegation Watch Thread. The remaining schedule for the three title contenders is below. I added European and FA Cup Ties for fixture congestion context.

It's going to be a tight finish as all three are capable of winning out (I, personally, don't think that happens. But all are certainly capable). Here is a small write up on each team and my outlook for them.

Liverpool FC
Extremely disappointing draw vs Manchester United. Mistake by the young Quansah let Man United undeservedly back into the match with eternal whiner, Bruno Fernandes, capitalizing on the gift. Mainoo with a wonderful strike a few minutes later put the home team ahead before Salah rescued a point near the end. Damage limited but not the result Liverpool wanted and, frankly, deserved. 28 total shots and inexplicable lack of finishing was the story of the day. (In the two EPL matches this season vs United, Liverpool have managed 62 shots and come away with just 2 goals).

Upcoming fixture list comes against manageable teams in Palace, Fulham, and Everton. West Ham could be a tricky game coming at the end of a fourth (out of 5) consecutive away games. The start of May likely settles it for Liverpool with a home game to Tottenham and an away game to Villa. I expect a revengeful attitude vs Spurs after the first game between these two was so bizarre (Liverpool with two red card and a correct goal disallowed only to be undone by a late stoppage time own goal). Liverpool are hopeful for some returns in the near future with Curtis Jones making an appearance over the weekend. Jota and TAA are expected to return to training this week with Alisson expected by the end of April. Bajcetic, Thiago, and Matip are likely out for the season with the latter two possibly having already played their last games in Liverpool shirts.

Arsenal FC
Arsenal just keeps chugging along and churning out results. Since Jan 20, they have pulled off 5-0, 6-0, 5-0, 4-1, and 6-0 wins to go along with the the 3-0 dismantling of Brighton over the weekend. All of which has fattened their goal difference to an impressive +51 (especially when you think those six aforementioned games contributed to half that, +25).

They have a tricky end to April with Chelsea at home and Spurs away. If they can manage to get to May in 1st place, the title is theirs to lose. The only thing I can see that would slow them down is some untimely injuries or exhaustion. Arsenal have largely been able to avoid the injury bug with Timber being their only long-term absence. Arteta rotates his squad very little, only trusting the same 12-13 players. Progression through the CL and the additional (and demanding) games might catch up to them.

Manchester City
Manchester City probably has the easiest run in on paper as four of their remaining opponents are currently in the bottom half (Brighton is in 10th). Foden has played superbly in recent weeks and Guardiola knows what it takes to get his team over the line in a tight title race. (Fun stat: Pep Guardiola has managed in 14 seasons, this being his 15th. He has failed to win the league title in only three seasons: his last at Barcelona, his first at Man City, and the Covid year). The man is a serial winner and know how to set up and rotate his team for the business end of a long season. He may overthink cup competitions but he know how to handle a long and grueling season. Kyle Walker and Nathan Ake seem to be their only current injuries with Ederson and Gvardiol expected back this week. So Pep will pretty much have a full complement of players to select from and he is a master at keeping his team fresh. Plus, let's face it, his 2nd choice XI would beat most teams in EPL anyways.

The only potential area of slip up I see is the rearranged fixture vs Tottenham. Their only real open date is the midweek slot right before Championship Sunday (assuming CL progression). That might be a blessing in disguise for them because if they go into that penultimate game knowing a win puts them in the driver's seat, they will easily dismantle Spurs. But if it's earlier, Spurs have shown to be a thorn in Guardiola's side.

---

Here are my predictions. This is just my opinion and I am fully aware I am seeing this through Liverpool red tinted glasses. So maybe it's more of a hope than a prediction:

After falling short by a single point in two of their title races with Man City in 2018-19 and 2021-22, I think Liverpool may just finally nick it in the end and send Klopp off into the sunset (that's my hope anyway!). Feel free to add your own predictions. Let's be civil in our discussions and enjoy this final title run in!
jeffk
AG
From your lips to God's ears.

What are the red/green/yellow color codes signifying?
YNWA.2013

Quote:

From your lips to God's ears.

What are the red/green/yellow color codes signifying?
For my OCD brain:

Red - Liverpool Home Games
Yellow - Away Games
Green - Europa League Games
Red - Arsenal Home Games
Navy Blue - Champions League Games
Sky Blue - Man City Home Games
Purple - FA Cup Games
-FTA c/o 2013
agdoc2001
AG
Arsenal fans might take exception with the "largely avoided the injury bug" statement as we have had multiple longterm injuries this season outside of Timber including:

Partey
Jesus
Zinchenko
Tomiyasu
Martinelli

Certainly not as bad as Newcastle, but it has limited Arteta's ability to rotate the squad. In addition, Saka and White are both playing through injuries and are not quite at their best.

That being said, they look to have the toughest remaining fixture list and feel the least likely to win the league right now.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
eiggA2002
AG
Green is Europa, Red is Premier League Home (for AFC & LFC); Yellow is PL away.

Blue is CL. Light Blue for City is PL Home (jersey color).
YNWA.2013
That's fair, I didn't know Martinelli had a long term issue. If Arsenal was at full strength, Martinelli (and maybe Zinchenko) are the only ones cracking the starting XI, right?
-FTA c/o 2013
AustinScubaAg
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

Liverpool FC
Extremely disappointing draw vs Manchester United. Mistake by the young Quansah let Man United undeservedly back into the match with eternal whiner, Bruno Fernandes, capitalizing on the gift. Mainoo with a wonderful strike a few minutes later put the home team ahead before Salah rescued a point near the end. Damage limited but not the result Liverpool wanted and, frankly, deserved. 28 total shots and inexplicable lack of finishing was the story of the day. (In the two EPL matches this season vs United, Liverpool have managed 62 shots and come away with just 2 goals).

To be Fair Liverpool finishing has been poor the last 10 games.

Liverpool have scored 2.5 Goals per game over the last 10 games on 23.5 shots per game so just a 10.6% conversion rate. Their conversion rate for the season is 15%.

For comparison

Man City have scored 2.0 goals per game over the last 10 games on 20.7 shots per game so a 9.66% conversion rate. Their conversion rate for the season is 17%.

Arsenal have scored 3.3 goals per game over the last 10 games on 17.1 shots per game so 19.1% conversion rate. Their conversion rate for the season is 20%.

Both Liverpool and City are struggling to convert chances of late.

AustinScubaAg
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

That's fair, I didn't know Martinelli had a long term issue. If Arsenal was at full strength, Martinelli (and maybe Zinchenko) are the only ones cracking the starting XI, right?
Honestly if all were heathy then they would all rotate as starters.
YNWA.2013
That's my point. They have not been extremely difficult chances. Darwin missed a sitter, Szoboszlai missed a one-on-one, and Salah skied like four shots inside the box (he might get pass with his fasting) all this past weekend alone. But shots that we (or any title contending team ) usually convert (high xG) we cannot. I say inexplicable because Salah usually converts his chances more often than not.
-FTA c/o 2013
AustinScubaAg
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

That's my point. They have not been extremely difficult chances. Darwin missed a sitter, Szoboszlai missed a one-on-one, and Salah skied like four shots inside the box (he might get pass with his fasting) all this past weekend alone. But shots that we (or any title contending team ) usually convert (high xG) we cannot. I say inexplicable because Salah usually converts his chances more often than not.
As an Arsenal Fan, the poor finishing by City and Liverpool have given us a chance but this year is going down to the wire and who know what could happen.
YNWA.2013
It's going to be a very interesting final 7 games. I think a loss by any of the three will essentially knock them out of the race. It's going to take near perfection to win it. As Arsenal fans, I welcome y'all to a title race with City as this this is our third go round with a tight race like this. Buckle in and take your blood pressure meds.
-FTA c/o 2013
AustinScubaAg
AG
Unlike last year our Defense is not in the injury tent so we won't give up many goals down the stretch. Does sometimes make games feel nervy.
Agthatbuilds
I like Liverpool's chances, despite them dropping 2 points this weekend. Arsenal and man city have very tough champions league games intermixed with their remaining schedules that's going to tax them.

No matter what, should be fun to follow. Let's go Gunners!
34blast
Really good write up. I keep hearing stuff but don't know much about the Man City potential point deductions? I assume this won't be in play? My understanding it has been going on a while. Is there 0% chance this is applied?
AustinScubaAg
AG
34blast said:

Really good write up. I keep hearing stuff but don't know much about the Man City potential point deductions? I assume this won't be in play? My understanding it has been going on a while. Is there 0% chance this is applied?
Good question two teams have had deductions but would be shocked if City gets on this year. The EPL seems to be dragging their feet since this was known for over a year.
wangus12
AG
There is pretty much zero chance it is applied this season, or probably at all for that matter

YNWA.2013
Not to derail the thread too much. But like the others have said, pretty much a 0% chance they get any points deduction this season or get any consequences at all, for that matter. Rumours have been circulating that the Premier League clubs want to move to a "luxury tax" model with the "tax" being redistributed to the other 19 clubs. This would essentially make anything that an independent panel finds on City moot. (And probably one of the reasons they continue to drag their feet on any resolution). This model would essentially allow the massively funded clubs (read: Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Newcastle) to basically spend whatever they want and just pay the "penalty." And since Man ****ty and Newca$tle can basically print money, it would seriously alter the landscape of the EPL. Points deduction would go away and with it the only thing money can't buy.
-FTA c/o 2013
agdoc2001
AG
YNWA.2013 said:

This model would essentially allow the massively funded clubs (read: Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Newcastle) to basically spend whatever they want and just pay the "penalty."
That's weird, you seem to have accidentally omitted one of the other massively funded clubs.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Faustus
Right, and Tottenham.
jeffk
AG
This article lays out how many days each team has lost due to injury this season. No attention paid to whether the player was a starter or not.

(Rank out of 20 teams)
9. Liverpool
13. Arsenal
17. Man City

https://www.givemesport.com/every-premier-league-team-ranked-injuries-suffered/
Faustus
Least funded and most injured, eh?
But they're doing it the right way against all odds!

Dre_00
agdoc2001 said:

YNWA.2013 said:

This model would essentially allow the massively funded clubs (read: Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Newcastle) to basically spend whatever they want and just pay the "penalty."
That's weird, you seem to have accidentally omitted one of the other massively funded clubs.

Read the OP and thought I accidentally clicked on the Liverpool thread.
jeffk
AG
Look, we can't help how lovable we are!
Dre_00
I mean who doesn't love the underdog story of the small, plucky, club with underfunded owners who...*checks notes*...are currently looking to purchase an entire professional club so they can start an ecosystem similar to City and Red Bull. A club that has to get by with INEXPLICABLY poor finishing because they only had...*checks notes again*...100 million EUR to spend on a forward who somehow manages to kick it out for a throw-in when within 3 yards of goal.

If only they were a club of means. If only.
jeffk
AG
You sound jealous!
jeffk
AG
Also Chaos Darwin scored with his ass a week ago so I'll accept no slander of my beautiful boy here.
YNWA.2013
I cannot help you if you think Liverpool has financially backed Klopp the same way Arsenal have backed Arteta, City have backed Guardiola, and Chelsea and Man U have mindlessly spent their cash.

Yes we spend more than the other 15 clubs (we are a bigger club that makes more), but of the "Big 6" + Newcastle, I don't think you can group us with the big spenders
-FTA c/o 2013
YNWA.2013
Here's an article detailing financial backing of the current Premier League teams:
Premier League 5 Year Net Spend Table

Guess who the top 6 are.
-FTA c/o 2013
Dre_00
I'm a United fan. I have no reason to be jealous of anyone's money...

...I have every reason to be jealous of everyone's decision making with said money.
YNWA.2013
Quote:

I mean who doesn't love the underdog story of the small, plucky, club with underfunded owners who...*checks notes*...are currently looking to purchase an entire professional club so they can start an ecosystem similar to City and Red Bull. A club that has to get by with INEXPLICABLY poor finishing because they only had...*checks notes again*...100 million EUR to spend on a forward who somehow manages to kick it out for a throw-in when within 3 yards of goal.

If only they were a club of means. If only.
"...a forward who somehow manages to kick it out for a throw-in when within 3 yards of goal" = INEXPLICABLE

I don't know how he does it. His name should be Darwin "I Only Score Bangers" Nunez
-FTA c/o 2013
Showstopper
AG
When you whine as a fan of Liverpool Football Club, you'll never whine alone.
YNWA.2013
Is that not what YNWA stands for?!
-FTA c/o 2013
Dre_00
No, that article doesn't detail financial backing. That article details transfer comings and goings. It doesn't say anything about financial backing or how much a club COULD have spent. It just says how much a club DID spend (net anyway). It really has nothing to do with financial backing.

Financial backing isn't an exact science but a much better place to start is the current value of the club, the revenue generated and the operating income.

In those metrics, Liverpool is the 4th most valuable club in the world, is 3rd in the world in revenue generation, and is 4th in the world in operating income (as of 11 months ago...highly doubt it's significantly different as of today).

https://www.forbes.com/lists/soccer-valuations/
Dre_00
Aaaaand, even if you wanted to analyze transfer season net spend, Liverpool's ranking on the list is heavily influenced by the 19/20 season. If you remove that, they are 6th having a net spend higher than that of Man City (proving once again that net transfer spend has nothing to do with financial power/backing). Or if you want to adhere to the quite random 5 year look back window, you're going to skyrocket up that list in about 90 days or so.

Really the only thing that list tells you is that you and City are much better at spending/receiving money in the transfer market than Chelsea and Man United...which I mean, duh.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I'm not hung up on who is or isn't a "big club." Most Americans choose a big club to follow because we saw a big name player for them at some point or saw them win an important trophy at a pivotal time. (It was Steven Gerrard for me.) It's cool to have a "lesser" club as your rooting interest because you can say you weren't swayed by success or prestige of whatever, but if you followed the sport as a child in America in the 1990s, that really wasn't part of the decision-making process most likely.

State ownership is my line in the sand for lack of a better term I guess. That is unprecedented and forever changes the calculus of club evaluation and spend strategy and there's really nothing any league seems to be willing to do to close that Pandora's box that's been opened.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.