***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***
145,811 Views | 3306 Replies
zgolfz85
8:27p, 5/16/24
In reply to hph6203
hph6203 said:

You should pay attention more.

The problem with Hardy is the same problem with Hardaway, he does not have an accurate self perception of his own abilities.

He believes he is substantially better than he is. He makes drives he has no business taking, because he's not that good at dribbling, he takes shots he shouldn't because he's not that good at shooting and he makes passes he has absolutely, positively no business making because he's not a great passer.

Hardaway thinks he's prime Klay Thompson.
Hardy thinks he's Kyrie.

If Hardy thought he was actually Hardy he might be a playable player, but as it stands he is wholly too mistake prone to be playing big minutes in the playoffs. Which is why he hasn't and he was a negative in the one game he did in this series.

Hardy was only a -2 in 15 minutes of play in the biggest game he's played in to date, so let's not go overboard on him being a negative. You may be right, but it's too early to be tell….way too early. His sample size has been limited primarily to garbage time minutes where he's had a green light to play hero ball and just prove that he can score at a high level in the league, which he's done. It's sloppy, but he's not being asked to be a part of the starter or even primary bench player "system" outside of last night and a handful of regular season games, all of which is a mistake in my opinion and something I take issue with j Kidd on. It's the same reason we see rookie QBs in the NFL playing earlier and earlier…I get that the NBA is wholly different, but at some point you have to take the training wheels off for guys that can create their own shot anywhere on the floor in more important situations so you know what you have in case they're needed in series like these.

I don't have any more faith in THJ than I do in Hardy, but the difference is that THJ is a nightmare waiting to happen after 10 seasons of experience. The ceiling could be much higher for Hardy, but who even knows with the limited flashes we've seen to date.
shack009
9:10p, 5/16/24
In reply to hph6203
I agree that when Hardy comes in to the game, he thinks it's Hardy time. He's been much better later in the year at making the right basketball play and he had two nice assists yesterday.

To compare him and Tim is ridiculous, especially when you factor in we have 9 more years of sample on THJ.
Infection_Ag11
9:12p, 5/16/24
Looks like Denver/Minnesota is gonna go 7
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
shack009
10:13p, 5/16/24
In reply to Infection_Ag11
Infection_Ag11 said:

I honestly have no idea who I would rather face at this point. Minnesota is probably scarier at their best, but they also have a much lower floor than Denver.
Infection_Ag11
10:23p, 5/16/24
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

I honestly have no idea who I would rather face at this point. Minnesota is probably scarier at their best, but they also have a much lower floor than Denver.

General rule of thumb in the playoffs is that you want to have the best player in the series. Dallas has that advantage against Minnesota and doesn't against Denver.

Denver also just has more guys that can blow up and beat you any given night.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
shack009
10:29p, 5/16/24
I agree, but Minnesota also matches up really well with us. Edwards, McDaniels, NAW, Anderson can all guard our best players all night. And we have a hard time guarding big men who can shoot. Seems like Naz always goes off against us.

All I can think of is that last possession against them last year where Ant and McDaniels just locked up Luka and Kyrie and didn't even let them get within 30 feet of the basket. Denver doesn't have guys that can do that to us.
PatAg
10:37p, 5/16/24
Hardy is in his 2nd year
Hardaway jr is 12th year

All of your comparisons are very bad for this reason hph
Infection_Ag11
10:38p, 5/16/24
In reply to shack009
Regardless it's probably a moot discussion as I just can't see Jokic losing game 7 at home with this team around him.
PatAg
10:39p, 5/16/24
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

I agree, but Minnesota also matches up really well with us. Edwards, McDaniels, NAW, Anderson can all guard our best players all night. And we have a hard time guarding big men who can shoot. Seems like Naz always goes off against us.

All I can think of is that last possession against them last year where Ant and McDaniels just locked up Luka and Kyrie and didn't even let them get within 30 feet of the basket. Denver doesn't have guys that can do that to us.
On the flip side, Minnesota is another team we haven't played since the trade deadline. So who knows
shack009
10:43p, 5/16/24
In reply to PatAg
PatAg said:

shack009 said:

On the flip side, Minnesota is another team we haven't played since the trade deadline. So who knows

Yeah little bit of fear of the unknown maybe. I've seen us beat Denver with this team, even though it was on a ridiculous Kyrie shot shortly after a ridiculous Luka shot. It was also before PJ really got hot from 3.
shack009
10:45p, 5/16/24
Infection_Ag11 said:

Regardless it's probably a moot discussion as I just can't see Jokic losing game 7 at home with this team around him.

This series is so hard to get a read on considering none of the games have been close, and there have been four road wins (though those were all the first 4 games). But you're right that betting against Jokic in that spot is about as dumb as it gets.
hph6203
10:57p, 5/16/24
In reply to PatAg
PatAg said:

Hardy is in his 2nd year
Hardaway jr is 12th year

Irrelevant to the present. Y'all are arguing he should get more minutes and lamenting the fact he's "held to a different standard." I'm arguing that both players are losing players and both of their minutes should be minimized as well as their touches.

For whatever minutes either one of them gets Kidd should be ripping them out of the game if they make dumb inexplicable plays.
PatAg
12:40a, 5/17/24
In reply to hph6203
hph6203 said:

PatAg said:

Hardy is in his 2nd year
Hardaway jr is 12th year

Irrelevant to the present. Y'all are arguing he should get more minutes and lamenting the fact he's "held to a different standard." I'm arguing that both players are losing players and both of their minutes should be minimized as well as their touches.

For whatever minutes either one of them gets Kidd should be ripping them out of the game if they make dumb inexplicable plays.
Players in their 2nd season or more likely to develop if they get in game minutes, and are more likely to see meaningful increase in their level of play vs someone in their 12th.
I was happy to see Kidd actually run him out for some minutes, but Kidd has also not really played him much regular season.
I'm not arguing he should get more minutes at all, but you are considering them to be equal players which is stupid. Especially considering they have different strengths and weaknesses.
PatAg
12:43a, 5/17/24
Its also pretty hilarious how little most non-local media know about the Mavs. Frustrating how little it gets covered though
mavsfan4ever
8:20a
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

Myra it seems crazy to say, but I think I'd rather have Denver. Before the league changed the way they are officiating things, I would've easily wanted Minnesota. But now that they've been letting teams play, Minnesota's wing length and defense really scares me. That's the exact type of team that seems to give Luka and Kyrie some trouble. They've been suffocating Denver in their wins.

But of course Denver should be the better team so I'm probably overestimating the trouble Minnesota would give us compared to Denver.
shack009
10:29a
In reply to mavsfan4ever
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

We have seen Luka just obliterate Gobert in the playoffs before, but you never know how your centers will react to having to play against a guy like that.

Denver is probably the better team just because of Jokic and Murray, but the "what if" stuff with Minnesota is just a bit scarier.
HawthornAggie
11:18a
I just want to close out the thunder at home first
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 95 of 95
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE